[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 03:40:45 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

How big a loss will a Crean departure be?

Giant loss. We will not be able to replace him with as big a name and the program will suffer for it.
40 (37.7%)
Fairly big loss. Crean has done the program well, but the program is at a point where it can sustain itself.
26 (24.5%)
How big a loss depends on who we can get to replace him.
30 (28.3%)
No biggie. Crean's efforts could be matched by various other college coaches.
7 (6.6%)
Loss? Are you kidding me? A Crean departure is a gain. This guy needs to leave...now.
3 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Author Topic: POLL: How big a loss will a Crean departure be?  (Read 6589 times)

MUCam

• All American
POLL: How big a loss will a Crean departure be?
« on: April 04, 2007, 07:21:50 PM »
IF Crean leaves, how does it affect MU's future. From a personal standpoint, AD issues aside, I don't think we get a coach with as big of national name recognition as Crean, no matter how hard we try. MU is in a very vulnerable spot. We are just a couple successful seasons away from joining the elite ranks. However, we are also just a couple disappointing seasons away from being DePaul. I don't know that we will recover and it has me nervous as can be, remembering the days of not-so-long past.

4everwarriors

• All American
I'm Keeping My Vote...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 08:37:09 PM »
confidential. ;D
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BigSky

• Starter
Re: POLL: How big a loss will a Crean departure be?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 08:50:21 PM »
Where is the choice for he isn't leaving?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 08:56:59 PM »
At this point , it would be a HUGE loss.  We would not find  a person with the energy, willpower and appreciation of tradition to replace TC in my estimation.  TC simply fits MU, period...!!  Plus, the roster would probably suffer a lot of turnover.  Don't even think about it.  Yes, MU can recover; but, it would take time.  Nowadays, time is a very precious commodity as the future covers about one season.  As for 4Everwarriors, well he can keep his opinion to himself unles he can find and fund a replacement.

MUCam

• All American
BigSky....
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 09:14:34 PM »
...the poll is based on a possibility that Crean leaves. The question probably should have been reworded to read: "If Crean leaves, how big a loss will it be?"

There is a distinct possibility that he leaves. I am just curious as to what effect people believe that would have on the program.

To reiterate, I think it would be a tremendous loss. Living in Michigan, I can tell you that Crean is well regarded and considered a "dream coach" for Wolverine fans and the "heir apparent" for Spartan fans. I can also tell you that during the Dean years and before, few if any, knew who our coach was. Those who had some recognition of the program, simply knew it as Al McGuire's old school. Crean has changed that mentality 100%. A nationally recognized face is as important as, if not more important than, a sound basketball strategist, especially when one is trying to recreate a national powerhouse type program.

Can we get someone who is fundamentally a better basketball coach? Perhaps, though I would argue that Crean still has years for improvement and the drive and will to do so. Can we get a better marketing man? I doubt it.

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 10:25:46 PM »
Gotcha....so if I don't think he is leaving...guess I won't be voting.

maxpower773

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 10:35:53 PM »
It's speculation....you don't need to think he's leaving to have an opinion if he does leave. I don't think he's going anywhere but I still voted.

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 10:53:29 PM »
It's speculation....you don't need to think he's leaving to have an opinion if he does leave. I don't think he's going anywhere but I still voted.

Right.  But that is my opinion.  I wouldn't be expressing my opinion if I picked something else.

snakesinthesnoilet

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 02:01:20 AM »
we are a top 20 program...plain and simple

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 09:08:14 AM »
we are a top 20 program...plain and simple

We are a top 25 program because of the head coach. Just like we were a top 10 program throughout the 70s because of the head coach. Who the head coach is means everything in college basketball because it all comes to recruiting. Would Marquette be at its current level if Deanne had been retained? Hardly. If Crean goes, we start all over...once again.

MUCam

• All American
Big Sky....
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 10:00:55 AM »
It really is not all that hard. Even if you are in Crean's inner circle and you are 100% sure that he is not leaving, it is still possible to have an opinion as to what effect a departure might have if it did happen. Whether or not you actually believe that he is leaving is immaterial to the question as asked. The question is not "Do you believe Crean is leaving?"
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 10:05:59 AM by MUCam »

DAtruth

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 10:46:30 AM »
i dont think hes going anywhere either..however i have a great imagination and i believe the answer is who you get to replace him..its all about chemistry..coaches coach what they know and players need to be able to "buy into a system"...the right coach isnt necessarily the most sought after or even most qualified..its about a fit and chemistry..creans been here 8 yrs and still isnt an elite coach.. what was he considered to be before d-wades soph yr?..but that team bought into his system and him and things just clicked..i do think d-wades ability's that he developed are in large part due to tc..and he bought the fact that it was right coach right system for him..now hes a star..

i think a good fit for next yrs team would be guy from s. illinois....i could see next yrs team running that up tempo in your face full court game..in fact i think most of marquette players would flourish in this style..plus we can really wear down opposing bigs...if theres 1 thing oos can do..its run the floor..hayward as well..it would be a challenge but its a challenge i see most current players accepting and working towards

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 11:09:19 AM »
The key would be who would replace him.  He does a great PR job and gets the fans excited, which would be our biggest loss.  We probably could get a better pure "game" coach, IMO, but that is only one part of it.  I would be a loss.

That said, it seems a bit soon to suggest we can't get anyone as good.  Heck, what was Crean before he was hired with us?  A top assistant at a major program.  Last I checked there are always top assistants available if that is the route we decide to go.  I would also think that we could lure a lot of mid-major level coaches (and even some major level coaches), if the school and the fans keep the commitment to the program (including a salary at or near Crean's current level).  Crean is one of the highest paid coaches in the nation and $$$ does talk -- if the school made a similar committment to the next coach I think there would be a fair number of people who would consider the opportunity.  That isn't the end-all-be-all though (as UK is finding out), but the MU program is in pretty good shape.  We were able to get Crean initially for far less, so I think jumping to the conclusion that we couldn't get someone of similar talents is premature. 

I remember O'Neill's departure, which I thought was a huge loss given his success.  The program didn't step up and decided on Deane, who had good years and was a good coach but wasn't a program builder.  The program is in much better shape now and if the financial package is there it could be of interest to a lot of coaches. 

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 11:25:37 AM »
The assumption I would make in reading the choices is what would happen if Crean left now...and if I don't think he is leaving now, and that isn't a choice option, I won't be answering the question.  If that were a choice in the question, I would have answered it.  Why would I answer something that I don't believe is going to happen?

feedback