Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Where Were You?  (Read 6656 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Where Were You?
« on: December 01, 2011, 07:00:23 PM »
In honor of the picture below, where were you when you found out that we had been renamed the Marquette Gold?  Just like everyone remembers where they were when they found out about September 11th or Kennedy being shot, everyone remembers where they were that awful day the name Gold was set upon us.

MarqPTM, robmufan, Jimbo and myself were all at Miller Park for a Cubs/Brewers game when we got the call about what happened.  Roberto Novoa, LaTroy Hawkins, and the Cubs bullpen went on to blow the game for the third night in a row at a time when they needed wins to win the Central.

Where were you?

Avenue Commons

• All American
Re: Where Were You?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 07:29:48 PM »
That picture is so unbelievably awesome I don't even care that those 3 have the same diploma I do.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 07:33:21 PM by Avenue Commons »
We Are Marquette

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 08:32:09 PM »
TUUUUURNBOW!

Norm

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 12:18:32 AM »
I was on the phone with Fr. Wild's office complaining about the horrible Gold nickname about 5 seconds after he announced it. While Fr. Wild was extolling the virtues of the Gold I was talking to a woman in his office telling her it was the most ridiculous nickname I had ever heard. She suggested I listen to the rest of the press conference to hear more about why the Gold was selected and I told her there was no need as there was nothing he could say that would ever make it palatable. Before I hung up I told her that I was sure I would not be the only one calling her that day or the coming days. She laughed and said she hoped I was wrong. We all know how that turned out...

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
SS Marquette

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Perspective, TallTitan34, perspective
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 04:28:22 AM »
In honor of the picture below, where were you when you found out that we had been renamed the Marquette Gold?  Just like everyone remembers where they were when they found out about September 11th or Kennedy being shot, everyone remembers where they were that awful day the name Gold was set upon us.

TallTitan34, you really liken “Marquette Gold” to the events of September 11, 2001, or of November 22, 1963?

Even in jest, please. …

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 09:14:12 AM »
I don't believe I commented on the magnatude of each event.  Merely that people remember when they found out about each.

What would you have used as examples of days that everyone remembers?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 09:48:52 AM »
TallTitan34, you really liken “Marquette Gold” to the events of September 11, 2001, or of November 22, 1963?

Even in jest, please. …

Agreed.  Renaming the Warriors to the Gold had a much greater impact on my life than anything that's ever happened in New York or Texas.

I was on I94 commuting up from Chicago to a client site in Milwaukee listening to Bob & Brian on the radio.  I thought they were just making jokes... and then it was real.  It was like reverse War of the Worlds radio broadcast. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 09:52:57 AM »
I vote we use lime green for hyperbole from now on on Scoop.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 09:56:24 AM »
Wherever I was I was pissed as hell and mightily embarassed.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 09:57:42 AM »
Driving on 94E just before the HWY45 ramp. I was in the left lane...and almost veered left to head to Fondy b/c I was so discombobulated.
The "average fan" is an idiot.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 10:01:33 AM »
Are there people that still question that it was the brainchild of our former coach? I certainly hope not. All his idea...then he went on the radio to defend Wild without mentioning it was his idea all along.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 10:04:57 AM »
(too lazy to look it up)

Could we go to Warriors and use the current MU logo?
The "average fan" is an idiot.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 10:05:27 AM »
I still don't think Gold would have been that bad.  I certainly like it better than Golden Eagles.  I think everyone had such a negative reaction because we were hoping we might go back to Warriors, and then Gold came out of left-field.  We basically don't have a nickname right now since Golden Eagles is barely used anywhere.  I'd rather abandon the whole thing and go with a color than stick with this passive non-acceptance of Golden Eagles.

I more vividly remember being a student when DiUlio made the announcement in front of the Union that we were changing to Golden Eagles, and everyone started sarcastically chanting "We Are" clap, clap, "BC" clap, clap.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 10:09:10 AM »
(too lazy to look it up)

Could we go to Warriors and use the current MU logo?

Sure we could, but we won't.  The administration argued that we could never disassociate the name from the old imagery.  To the contrary, using the name with new imagery and creating a new connection would be the BEST way to disassociate the name from the old imagery.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 10:13:12 AM »
I don't know where I was when I heard the news, but I guess it isn't such a big deal to me... but the people in the picture will NEVER FORGET where they were.
Has the "gold" man ever come forward?

I don't think the NCAA will just let us go back to Warriors without penalty (no NCAA tourni games, etc) since the name is "historically" linked to the indian mascot, etc.... unless we get permission of the local indians, and they won't give it.  That really sucks for us, as it would be nice to be the Warriors again.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 10:16:27 AM »
Internet cafe in Melbourne, Australia. Speechless.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 10:22:03 AM »
I got a questionare from MU about mascot changes and suggested keeping Warriors and changing logo to a Viking, A Visigoth or some such. I noted that nobody had a problem with "the Fighting Irish" and it was just a few PC wimps and a couple of anti-establishment indians that complained. I reminded whomever that Mascots were  a POSITIVE image for a university and not derogatory.
THE GOLD is the worst nickname I ever heard and entirely void of any imagination. I am in awe of the UC Santa Cruz  Banana Slugs!

GOO

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 10:29:27 AM »

We now have the Syracuse Orange... and St. Johns Red Storm... maybe we should have taken Gold before all the colors are taken except for some obscure HGTV color  :o

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 10:53:40 AM »
One of these days I'm going to make t-shirts that say Marquette Gold and include "Bricky" the mascot.  

http://wiki.muscoop.com/lib/exe/detail.php/nickname/bricky.jpg?id=nickname%3Alogo_archive

edit:  like this

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customize/product2.aspx?number=598507908
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 11:16:54 AM by Henry Sugar »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 10:59:12 AM »
Sure we could, but we won't.  The administration argued that we could never disassociate the name from the old imagery.  To the contrary, using the name with new imagery and creating a new connection would be the BEST way to disassociate the name from the old imagery.

+ infinity

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 11:39:14 AM »

Exactly. This is what Ole' Miss did with the Rebel Mascot. They did it right though I wish Admiral Akbar would have won their mascot contest.

But I like to throw handfuls...

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 11:39:38 AM »
On the frontage road off the beltline in Madison.  I almost hit a tree.  I was looking at my calendar wondering "is this April Fools Day?"

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 12:42:24 PM »
I was in my apartment at MU's Les Aspin Center residence in Washington, DC. I was eagerly awaiting the phone call from friends in Milwaukee, and discussions in the week leading up to it led me to believe we had the votes to restore Warriors.

Witnesses heard this one-sided phone conversation.

The what?
It's Golden Eagles?
Just the Gold?
Like the color?
Just the color. The color Gold.
What the ****?

After hanging up the phone, I walked into the central hallway in the apartment complex and let loose a torrent of obscenity so profane even I cannot recalll what I said, though I remember the phrase "fracking Christ" passing my lips at least once. Problem was the administrator of the program, Fr. O'Brien was also in the hallway, one floor beneath me. That was a little awkward.

It was the last night of the semester before everyone went home for the summer, so there was a farewell party that night with plenty of beer and plenty of tequila (It was also Drinko de Mayo). I wore my 2003 Final Four shirt, with the old chicken logo and text "Marquette Golden Eagles." I put masking tape over the chicken, and over the "En Eagles" and proceeded to drown my sorrows in a wave of alcohol therapy.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 12:51:26 PM by Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup »
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 12:52:40 PM »
This is where Dwyane Wade was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcrEl_r8xEE