Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Don't Look Now, Dudes  (Read 6464 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Don't Look Now, Dudes
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 07:30:39 AM »
I don't see anyone asking how UW matches up to MU.  We have scared ourselves into looking into how good UW is, how they are playing at home (with the officials' calls), how great of a system coach Bo is--which are all true.  

But, who is going to stop DJO if he goes off?  Barnes burned Evans last night, will he be able to stop Jae?  Zeller was open all night in the paint, but no one got him the ball like Hulls did to his little bro, but Junior is a distributor PG who can find CO or DG in spells...so who stops a post-up?  And, if they do with their pack defense, who is left open on the perimeter.  DJO? Todd? Jamil can play the 5 and can guard the perimeter, and his rebounding rate is very good.  Henson had 17 rebounds last night, as Bruiser was buried on the bench. UW has no depth and UNC got them into foul trouble with their depth and quickness, just like MU.

UW had its lowest assist % night by far against UNC--only 26% or 6 assists. UNC let Taylor keep the ball (their poorest perimeter shooter) and concentrated on restricting perimeter ball movement outside the line and grabbing defensive rebounds.  Bucky became stagnant as a result and could not compete inside the arc as their game is all three ball (46% of their points come on three's which is #2 in the nation). Yes, Taylor didn't turn the ball over and as a result UNC let UW slow the tempo, but Taylor was 6-20 from the field and 1-4 from the stripe.  Gasser was nonexistent at 0-3 and the combo of him, Brust, Taylor, and Bruiser was a brutal 10-35 or 28.6%.

This is not last year's MU team...nor is it Bucky's.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:06:35 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 07:31:04 AM »
UNC looked like the team that lost to UNLV, and yet they managed to beat the Badgers.

How can you say UW looks 'damn impressive'?  They shot 36%!

This board loses its collective when we shoot that low.

Puhlease.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:42:20 AM by Hards_Alumni »

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 08:30:45 AM »
I think watching UW hoops reminds me of the Tim Tebow-run offense in Denver right now. It's ugly, old fashioned, and shouldn't work, but somehow, it does... That UNC team is stacked with All-Americans and they were getting pushed around for 33 minutes.

MU needs to run these guys into the ground and apply pressure at every opportunity. If we can make it 40 minutes of hell then we should be OK. 

BTW, there are lots of tickets left since Bucky football is in the B1G champ game, let's buy them all up and make it a home court for MU.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 08:34:12 AM »
UNC looked like the team that lost to UNLV, and yet they managed to beat the Badgers.

How can you say UW looks 'damn impressive'?  They shot 36%!

This board would loses its collective when we shoot that low.

Puhlease.

+1

I said yesterday that UNC has not impressed me.  They are way over ranked ... right now.  Will they turn into the team we faced in the Sweet 16, Likely.  Right now, though, they are not.  They force the game, get rattled easy.  They are starting slowly, like they did last year.  Heck, last year they lost to Minnesota, Vanderbilt and Illinois at this point in the schedule.  They barely beat the College of Charleston and Long Beach State at home.

Those who feel UW played poorly, but kept it close, are not seeing that UNC is playing poorly right now.  

Too much negative energy on this board right now.  I really don’t get it.  MU is a pretty good team.  Enjoy the ride!

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011, 08:55:06 AM »
Aside from one 3-4 minute stretch in the 2nd half, UNC wasn't overly impressive last night. They played undisciplined, didn't take great care of the ball and let Wisco's slow-down pace affect their game. In the end, they got it together enough, wore Wisconsin down and their superior talent took over. Marquette is not UNC. MU isn't as talented, but I'd like to think that they can play more disciplined and can also wear Wisco down with their depth.

Yes, Wisconsin is a very good team but so is Marquette. UW is definitely beatable and I still think MU will take care of business on Saturday.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2011, 09:02:43 AM »
Aside from one 3-4 minute stretch in the 2nd half, UNC wasn't overly impressive last night. They played undisciplined, didn't take great care of the ball and let Wisco's slow-down pace affect their game. In the end, they got it together enough, wore Wisconsin down and their superior talent took over. Marquette is not UNC. MU isn't as talented, but I'd like to think that they can play more disciplined and can also wear Wisco down with their depth.

Yes, Wisconsin is a very good team but so is Marquette. UW is definitely beatable and I still think MU will take care of business on Saturday.

One other thing to remember in all of this.  MU has played UW and knows how their style of play.  Knows how to attack them.  As UW does with MU, admittedly.  But, UW's style is unique.  UNC only played them one other time, in the Elite 8 game.  Both times, they never adjusted to UW's style.  They let UW dictate.  They kept trying for Sportscenter Highlights - you can't do that against UW.  Both of those games were similar in many ways.  In both instances, the "experts" expected UW to get mopped off the floor and they did not.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2011, 09:08:07 AM »
What's up with these big goons from Minnesota that shoot with weird form like Leuer and Bergren??  Any else notice the similarities in their awkward jump shot form?  (And haircuts?)

;D

Considering that rural MN/WI/IA is chock full of people who are still living/dressing/thinking as though they were five years removed from V-J Day, you can hardly fault Bo for playing 1950's Indiana-style hoops.

Little known fact --- University of Wisconsin scientists were the ones who came up with the idea of putting a hole in the bottom of the peach basket... all the way back in '92 (1992, that is) according to their athletics website.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2011, 09:09:57 AM »
Little known fact --- University of Wisconsin scientists were the ones who came up with the idea of putting a hole in the bottom of the peach basket... all the way back in '92 (1992, that is) according to their athletics website.

Your tax dollars at work, 19th century Wisconsinites!

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
Some of you guys are pathetic. We're good. Wisconsin is good. So freaking what?

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2011, 09:41:13 AM »
As has been said by others and witnessed by many of us over the years, if we allow them to play their game, we lose.  If they play our's, we win.  This year's depth in the speed department may be the difference this time.  UW is a good, solid team that knows who they are; they are  worthy of their ranking and reputation but I'm very happy we don't play their style of ball.
Let's push it, push it, push it all the way to Lake Mendota. 
Eagles fly, Warriors charge.
Badgers dig holes in the ground and rest most of the time; they don't move very much.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2011, 10:42:19 AM »
I hope not, because if it does, we lose.  We've got force tempo, get some run outs when we do grab the defensive boards, and try to wear them down with numbers.

You're right... but my point is that if MU gives up a bunch of offensive rebounds a few things happen that are especially bad for MU.

If UW gets an offensive board:

- They obviously get another chance to score
- They get to potentially kill the ball for 70 seconds (2 possessions), which will reduce the number of total number of MU possessions, which greatly favors UW
- They limit their exposure on the defensive end, which helps because they are playing with a short bench (like MU in Buzz's first year).
- It forces MU to play defense for (potentially) another 35 full seconds, which uses physical and emotional energy (especially on the road)
- It prevents MU from getting run outs on long boards

Now, the flip side is that UW can't be too aggressive on the offensive boards because if they don't get back, MU will simply race past them and get a good shot on the primary or secondary break.

It's an interesting chess match of opposing styles. Lots of key factors, but if I had to pick 1, it's defensive rebounding. I don't think UW can simply outshoot or outscore MU. They will have to do it controlling the clock and the ball. Limit UW to one shot every time, and MU will have a chance to get the pace of the game up. IMHO.

Should be fun.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:43:50 AM by 2002MUalum »

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2011, 10:59:26 AM »
In prior games, when MU had the speed adavantage as they do this year, UW did not crash the offensive glass.  Last night they played similarly and did not crash the glass, but UNC did not push tempo or transition.  Thus, UW went back to crashing the glass until UNC started going to transition offense.  UNC never did that.  I don't expect Buzz to fall into the same trap.  I am expecting MU will push the ball at every chance (rebounds, made baskets ...), just to keep UW's defense on it's heels.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2011, 11:31:01 AM »
Think we saw UW shoot by far its worst 3 point percentage on the season - likely due to facing the most athletic/long team it faced this year.  Think we also saw long rebounds are often the result of missed 3's - and UNC had a hard time corralling all of those.  We will yield offensive boards as well.

Our game with UW will come down to 2 things and 2 things only:  UW's 3 point FG% and the number of UW turnovers we force.

I still like our chances and cannot understand the collective paranoia about how good UW is.  They are good.  We are good.  Should be a good ballgame.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2011, 11:37:46 AM »
Basketball is a chess game with sneakers. This will be a good game between two good teams. I predicted we win a squeaker as we wear down the badgers.
Got the beer,pizza,popcorn and the wife ready for the action. (Well, the wife just doesn't know she is ready yet)

VanderBabyBlue

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2011, 11:43:43 AM »
I don't think UW has the firepower to blow out a good team, but they'll come out hot (no way they shoot as poorly as last night) and maintain a 10-12 point lead throughout.

To have a chance, we need to build a decent lead right from the start, because it will be virtually impossible to come back on a team like this on the road.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2011, 12:17:50 PM »
If MU can control the tempo, it should be a fun afternoon.  The few times Wisconsin took quick shots, they didn't look too good. MU has to get its turnover and fastbreak game going.  If not, if Wisconsin controls the tempo look for an ugly, frustrating game.  MU can still win and I think they will because of their depth, but we will all be complaining about how bad we looked and the major holes that were exposed.  Wisconsin's game plan makes everyone look bad when they can execute it right.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2011, 01:48:03 PM »
To have a chance, we need to build a decent lead right from the start, because it will be virtually impossible to come back on a team like this on the road.

I disagree.  We can score a lot of points really quickly.  We can recover from a 10-15 point deficit in 5 minutes if it comes to that.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2011, 02:18:25 PM »
I'm looking for a Mayo scoring burst some time in the middle of one of the halves. I think he can come off the bench and provide some energy.

VanderBabyBlue

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2011, 03:44:39 PM »
I disagree.  We can score a lot of points really quickly.  We can recover from a 10-15 point deficit in 5 minutes if it comes to that.

Yes, there’s clearly more offensive talent on this roster than UNC, and scoring usually comes even easier when your first road game of the year comes at the KC.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2011, 03:50:43 PM »
Die Bucky Die.

Wisconsin is the most overrated team in the nation. I'm hoping we'll prove this Saturday.

They're a good team... yes.

Number 7 in the country? Yeah, and I weigh what I did in college, Illinois governors don't go to the Big House and our economy is humming along at the best its been in my lifetime.

Delusional to even think crap like this.

You keep thinking you're that good Bucky.... Just keep thinking. I'll look forward to Buzz dancing on the tables Saturday afternoon.

OK guys -- Repeat after me: two dead Badgers in the same day.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2011, 07:32:57 PM »
UNC only played them one other time, in the Elite 8 game.  Both times, they never adjusted to UW's style.  They let UW dictate.  They kept trying for Sportscenter Highlights - you can't do that against UW.  Both of those games were similar in many ways.  In both instances, the "experts" expected UW to get mopped off the floor and they did not.

The first part isn't true.  The Elite 8 game was 88-82.  It was up and down.  UNC scored at will.  The surprise was that Whisky was able to keep up.  UNC played absolutely no defense for most of the game and controlled tempo.  Then in the last 4 minutes, UNC played a little defense, UW did not have a go-to guy who could score at will.  UNC had at least three of them.  It was almost the opposite of last night, except UNC won in both styles.

UNC starts with the PG, and Marshall is not Raymond Felton or Ty Lawson.  Both those teams dictated through tempo in a way this UNC team cannot.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2011, 07:58:53 AM »
The first part isn't true.  The Elite 8 game was 88-82.  It was up and down.  UNC scored at will.  The surprise was that Whisky was able to keep up.  UNC played absolutely no defense for most of the game and controlled tempo.  Then in the last 4 minutes, UNC played a little defense, UW did not have a go-to guy who could score at will.  UNC had at least three of them.  It was almost the opposite of last night, except UNC won in both styles.

UNC starts with the PG, and Marshall is not Raymond Felton or Ty Lawson.  Both those teams dictated through tempo in a way this UNC team cannot.

You  may be more accurate than I, as I was going from memory of watching the game, but also the '04/05 UW team was different than most of bo's.  While not high transition, they did not milk the clock either.  Flowers, Tucker, Morley, Wilkinson, Butch, Kammron Taylor, Chambliss ...They were more of an offensive team than the badgers of the past few years.  They could score.  They did not need to wait until the 35 second clock hit 34 to shoot.  My memory of the game was that UNC was more frustrated than UW - outside of Sean May who could score at will.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2011, 08:12:57 AM »
That was the year Wisconsin was a number six seed, but got to the Elite 8 by beating a 11, 14 and 10 seed to get there.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2011, 08:51:29 PM »
You  may be more accurate than I, as I was going from memory of watching the game, but also the '04/05 UW team was different than most of bo's.  While not high transition, they did not milk the clock either.  Flowers, Tucker, Morley, Wilkinson, Butch, Kammron Taylor, Chambliss ...They were more of an offensive team than the badgers of the past few years.  They could score.  They did not need to wait until the 35 second clock hit 34 to shoot.  My memory of the game was that UNC was more frustrated than UW - outside of Sean May who could score at will.

I was going from memory as well.  I think I remember and enjoy some UW losses as much as I do MU wins.  That does not say much for me as a person.  Just looked up the score to check that I wasn't crazy.  Maybe UNC looked frustrated because Roy kept begging them to play defense, and they wanted him to shut up. 

I forgot that UW had such a talented squad.  Bunch of NBA All-Stars.  I don't even see one mid-level exception guy on that list.  All true max guys.  I like how "talented" for UW is having a guy better than Mark Vershaw.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2011, 08:57:21 PM »
I was going from memory as well.  I think I remember and enjoy some UW losses as much as I do MU wins.  That does not say much for me as a person.  Just looked up the score to check that I wasn't crazy.  Maybe UNC looked frustrated because Roy kept begging them to play defense, and they wanted him to shut up. 

I forgot that UW had such a talented squad.  Bunch of NBA All-Stars.  I don't even see one mid-level exception guy on that list.  All true max guys.  I like how "talented" for UW is having a guy better than Mark Vershaw.

I never said they were such a talented squad or bunch of NBA All-Stars.  Cut the crap.  What a dumb post.

feedback