Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Syracuse Update: Fine Fired, Boeheim and SU Issue Statements. (Will JB Survive?)  (Read 14816 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Update: Boeheim expected to resign at an 8:15pm ET presser tonight
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 07:18:30 PM »
Peter Thamel of the NYT just tweeted that we should "expect more from Syracuse tonight.  This is all so far."

ESPNNEWS has now pulled out of Football score coverage to go with this story.

Boeheim publicly thrashed a victim of molestation by a member of his own staff.  How can he continue to be a representative of SU?

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 07:31:03 PM »
Boeheim publicly thrashed a victim of molestation by a member of his own staff.  How can he continue to be a representative of SU?

If he comes out and makes a public apology saying he jumped to conclusions, Fine was a life-long friend and didn't think he was capable of something like this, emotional roller-coaster, yadda yadda, yadda, making a donation to a charity for sexual assault victims.  Then I could see him staying.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2011, 07:36:17 PM »
If he comes out and makes a public apology saying he jumped to conclusions, Fine was a life-long friend and didn't think he was capable of something like this, emotional roller-coaster, yadda yadda, yadda, making a donation to a charity for sexual assault victims.  Then I could see him staying.

But his job is recruiting and mentoring underage kids (less than 18).

That would work for the head of the accounting department explain why he defended a long-time friend/employee.  How does Boeheim apologize and then go to watch another watch another 16 year old watch a game?

He's toast and if he doesn't go now, he will wind up gutting the entire program.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2011, 07:48:48 PM »
I guess I'm not following you.  You make it sound like Boeheim was out there molesting boys.  From what I've read, Boeheim didn't necessarily do anything wrong when this all came up 8-9 yrs ago.  They turned it over to the police for an investigation.  Boeheim's problem was his recent insensitive comments saying the alleged victims were lying and out for money.  If he says it was a knee-jerk reaction to defend a longtime friend, and he realizes his comments were wrong and apologizes, SU might let him stay.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2011, 07:50:24 PM »
Statement:

“The allegations that have come forth today are disturbing and deeply troubling. I am personally very shocked because I have never witnessed any of the activities that have been alleged. I believe the university took the appropriate step tonight. What is most important is that this matter be fully investigated and that anyone with information be supported to come forward so that the truth can be found. I deeply regret any statements I made that might have inhibited that from occurring or been insensitive to victims of abuse.”

🏀

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2011, 07:56:29 PM »
I guess I'm not following you.  You make it sound like Boeheim was out there molesting boys.  From what I've read, Boeheim didn't necessarily do anything wrong when this all came up 8-9 yrs ago.  They turned it over to the police for an investigation.  Boeheim's problem was his recent insensitive comments saying the alleged victims were lying and out for money.  If he says it was a knee-jerk reaction to defend a longtime friend, and he realizes his comments were wrong and apologizes, SU might let him stay.

It was the worst knee-jerk reaction ever then. Jim should just step down, people have lost their jobs for saying a lot less.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2011, 07:58:25 PM »

I'm with most of you that Boeheim is being railroaded out on the back of JoePa.

What I'm arguing is life is not fair and JoePa set a new standard.  Your over-analyzing that standard.  It is very simple.  If you are a head coach and you have a molester on your staff, you're gone.  If you thrash a victim of molestation, you cannot stay.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2011, 07:59:15 PM »
That statement was underwhelming.  Now they should fire him.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2011, 08:01:28 PM »

+1. Couldn't even say it to a microphone?

I know why he plays the 2-3 zone, he's afraid of that man-to-man interaction.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
Statement from Syracuse

Dear Students, Faculty, & Staff: 

Tonight, in the wake of troubling new allegations that emerged in the media today, I am writing to let you know that Bernie Fine’s employment at the University has been terminated effective immediately. 

Frankly, the events of the past week have shaken us all.  The taped phone call that ESPN revealed today was not provided to the University by Mr. Davis during the 2005 investigation by our legal counsel.  Like the media review of the case a few years earlier, no other witnesses came forward during the university investigation, and those who felt they knew Bernie best could not imagine what has unfolded.   

Since I last wrote to you, we have been cooperating fully with the authorities.  On Friday, November 18, as the District Attorney has noted, we turned over to his office the results of our 2005 months-long investigation. Also on November 18, our Board of Trustees retained an independent law firm, Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP, to review our procedures in responding to the initial allegations when they first came to the University’s attention. I fully supported that decision and it is vital that we examine our protocols and actions in dealing with such serious allegations.  We need to learn all we can from this terrible lesson. 

All of us have the responsibility, individually and collectively, to ensure that Syracuse University remains a safe place for every campus community member and everyone with whom we interact on a daily basis on campus or in the community as part of our learning, scholarship, or work. We do not tolerate abuse.  If anything good comes out of this tragedy, it will be that this basic principle is reinforced.

Sincerely, 

Nancy Cantor

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2011, 08:06:37 PM »

I wonder if Boeheim even wrote it.  It has no real words and reads like lawyers scrubbed all emotion from it.

IF Boeheim makes it to Tuesday, SU plays Eastern Michigan at home.  It will be a circus.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2011, 08:07:33 PM »

All of us have the responsibility, individually and collectively, to ensure that Syracuse University remains a safe place for every campus community member and everyone with whom we interact on a daily basis on campus or in the community as part of our learning, scholarship, or work. We do not tolerate abuse.  If anything good comes out of this tragedy, it will be that this basic principle is reinforced.

This paragraph will toast JB. He attacked the victims to an absurd degree. No one in his position at a university should speak in those terms.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2011, 08:08:58 PM »
What I'm arguing is life is not fair and JoePa set a new standard.  Your over-analyzing that standard.  It is very simple.  If you are a head coach and you have a molester on your staff, you're gone.  If you thrash a victim of molestation, you cannot stay.

Just having a molester on your staff isn't the issue.  Having one on your staff, you finding out about it, and then keeping him around is the issue.

Trashing the victims can be apologized for.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2011, 08:09:42 PM »
I wonder if Boeheim even wrote it.

Of course not.  Emotion is what got him in trouble in the first place.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2011, 08:11:56 PM »

Again I find it impossible Boeheim stays.

You really think it's impossible Jim Boeheim is coaching Syracuse tomorrow? When I consider the impossible, his survival isn't among the first million or so things that come to mind.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2011, 08:16:59 PM »
Boeheim would have been in the clear had he not called the victims liars. Aside from that it sounds like he handled everything appropriately UNLIKE JoePa.

EDIT:  I believe calling the victims liars is a fireable offense.  People have been fired for far less.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2011, 08:19:56 PM »
Since Boheim is not resigning maybe the title of this thread should be changed........

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2011, 08:21:18 PM »

Just having a molester on your staff isn't the issue.  Having one on your staff, you finding out about it, and then keeping him around is the issue.

Trashing the victims can be apologized for.

Stop using reason and intellect.  This is all about emotional reactions in the court of public opinion.  In that court - molester on staff, you're fired.  Thrashing an abuse victim, you're fired.  Boeheim is guilty on two counts.  

GGGG

• All American
The only one that seems to be acting emotional is you.  Paterno was fired for logical and reasonable reason.  

Who at Penn State was fired due to emotion?  Or in the court of public opinion?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:28:38 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2011, 08:25:39 PM »
 It is very simple.  If you are a head coach and you have a molester on your staff, you're gone.  

In your brave new world are presidents impeached and removed if a member of their staff is a molester? Is the CEO summarily canned if there's a pedophile working in management? The witch hunts should prove very entertaining to some.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
I don't make the rules, I understand them.  Let's see if JB survives and who will be correct.

(Again, I think it is unfair but my opinion, which is similar to your opinion, does not matter.  Yes this is a witch-hunt and JB was not smart enough to understand this on November 18 when he ripped the accuser.  So now he will lose his job.)

avid1010

• All American
The only one that seems to be acting emotional is you.  Paterno was fired for logical and reasonable reason.  

Who at Penn State was fired due to emotion?  Or in the court of public opinion?

+1...would it even be legal for Cuse to fire JB for having a molester on his staff?  i don't work in hr, nor do i understand how the laws would pertain to a coach, but that wouldn't fly in my office.  

MattyWarrior

• All American
I think JB had to know something wasn't right with that guy,sounds like his family all knew. Why did he protect him so voraciously in the beginning trying to kill the story with his clout?

avid1010

• All American
I don't make the rules, I understand them.  Let's see if JB survives and who will be correct.

(Again, I think it is unfair but my opinion, which is similar to your opinion, does not matter.  Yes this is a witch-hunt and JB was not smart enough to understand this on November 18 when he ripped the accuser.  So now he will lose his job.)

but you were claiming he'd be fired for having a molester on his staff...not for ripping the accuser.  i think he survives.  in your court of public opinion i'd have much more of an issue with the likes of Barry Alvarez, Rick Pitino, etc.

feedback