collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Which bar (besides the Schoolyard) is best for watching MU games?

Blue Bayou (Southport)
5 (25%)
Four Shadows (Ashland)
12 (60%)
J's Bar (Olipant)
2 (10%)
Moher's (Devon)
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Chicago Marquette Bars  (Read 5657 times)

Coleman

• All American
Chicago Marquette Bars
« on: November 27, 2011, 02:57:45 PM »
Obviously the Schoolyard is the Gold (pun intended) standard. I've been there many a time and have not been disappointed. But I've noticed that in emails for recent game watching events several other bars have been mentioned by the alumni club, and most of these have Marquette flags. I've never been to any of these other bars and I'm just wondering if they are legit Marquette bars, or at least places where more than 2 or 3 other MU people will be on gameday.

I'm mostly just curious because sometimes an alternative to the Schoolyard is convenient when its super packed.

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Chicago Marquette Bars
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 03:52:31 PM »
thanks for this. i'm curious as well. never been anywhere besides the schoolyard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 04:31:17 PM »
Halstead Harp is a MU bar.

2138 N. Halstead St

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 04:38:30 PM »
Will's Northwood Inn on Racine and Nelson is my spot. They play all of the games and its a pretty cool bar, good food and solid drink prices.
Bring back FFP!!!

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 05:12:10 PM »
Will's Northwood Inn on Racine and Nelson is my spot. They play all of the games and its a pretty cool bar, good food and solid drink prices.

It's a BIG Badger bar too. Also the king of Packers bars in Chicago. Murphy's Bleachers often has games as it's owned by a Marquette alum.
But I like to throw handfuls...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 05:20:35 PM »

It's a BIG Badger bar too.

Exactly.  Any Marquette affiliation is done to pander to the entire Wisconsin segment, that bar couldn't be any more Red.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 05:26:58 PM »
Exactly.  Any Marquette affiliation is done to pander to the entire Wisconsin segment, that bar couldn't be any more Red.

I have heard it's not a big Brewers bar though...which would be fun considering the proximity to Urinal to the north.
But I like to throw handfuls...

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 01:18:26 PM »
For those in the Western suburbs, Emmett's Ale House in Downers Grove is a good place.  The owners are Marquette grads.  Another alum often brings pom pons, posters, etc.  We will most likely head over there to watch the Wisconsin game.
Have some patience, FFS.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 03:31:36 PM »
Cortland's Garage on Cortland (between Paulina & Ashland) is also ok. I prefer drinking at Bucktown Pub across the street, but the food at Cortland's is pretty good.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 03:36:55 PM »
By sheer force of will I plan on turning Tommy Nevin's in Evanston into an MU bar on Saturday.  Even if I'm the only Warrior there. 

Biggworm

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 12:16:08 PM »
4 Shadows isn't a bad spot.  While they are not solely an MU bar, they still have the audio feed from the game instead of music; and they have got FANTASTIC tater tots and burgers

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 07:15:19 PM »
4 Shadows isn't a bad spot.  While they are not solely an MU bar, they still have the audio feed from the game instead of music; and they have got FANTASTIC tater tots and burgers

Pretty much everything on the menu at 4 Shadows far surpasses what I'd consider avg. bar food. Auggie's the man.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 12:41:41 PM »
I heard a rumor that 4 Shadows is no longer an MU bar. I checked the website and MU is not listed anywhere. Colts, Bears, UFC, & Iowa Football (I HATE YOU) are all displayed prominently. I hate sports bars, but this still disappoints me.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 02:00:07 PM »
I heard a rumor that 4 Shadows is no longer an MU bar. I checked the website and MU is not listed anywhere. Colts, Bears, UFC, & Iowa Football (I HATE YOU) are all displayed prominently. I hate sports bars, but this still disappoints me.
Tried going there for a MU game this year and the game was no where to be found. F 4 shadows.

muzzwilliams

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 02:37:59 PM »
#OccupyBlueBayou

Biggworm

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 02:38:36 PM »
I'm not ready to give up on 4 Shadows quite yet.  It's possible that they didn't even have the obscure channel the game was on.  I would say use this Saturday as a litmus test for the remainder of the season.  They are listed as being one of the "game-watching locations"...

http://muconnect.marquette.edu/Page.aspx?pid=533&cid=7&ceid=615&cerid=0&cdt=12%2f3%2f2011

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 02:42:26 PM »
There is an easy way to figure this out....

Who knows Taylor Schult?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 02:55:01 PM »
I'm not ready to give up on 4 Shadows quite yet.  It's possible that they didn't even have the obscure channel the game was on.  I would say use this Saturday as a litmus test for the remainder of the season.  They are listed as being one of the "game-watching locations"...

http://muconnect.marquette.edu/Page.aspx?pid=533&cid=7&ceid=615&cerid=0&cdt=12%2f3%2f2011

Is the Marquette flag still flying outside?

Biggworm

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 03:14:01 PM »
Is the Marquette flag still flying outside?

Couldn't tell you.  The only time I'm in that neighborhood is for MU games

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 03:25:14 PM »
No flag is flying, its all Iowa flags. I've been wondering if they were just waiting for the football season to end to hang the MU flags or what, but as of now there is no Marquette love being shown
Bring back FFP!!!

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 03:47:02 PM »
No flag is flying, its all Iowa flags. I've been wondering if they were just waiting for the football season to end to hang the MU flags or what, but as of now there is no Marquette love being shown

The guys that run Shadows are clowns. A few years ago they also half assed a failed attempt as a Steelers bar. That lasted a few weeks.

Biggworm

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 03:57:31 PM »

Well this is disappointing

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 08:56:32 PM »

4 Shadows is on the list. 

I enjoyed Finley Dunne's when they were un-officially a MU bar.  Still good, if there are no competing events.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

muzzwilliams

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 08:34:31 AM »

Seems like we got some imposters on our hands. Boycott 4 Shadows.....you heard it here first

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »

Seems like we got some imposters on our hands. Boycott 4 Shadows.....you heard it here first

So strange considering I was there for the Cuse game in the tourney, and that place was fairly crowded and very much pro-MU.  LAME

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 09:44:36 AM »

For the past couple of years, they have waited until the end of the Iowa football season to change the flags. Usually, the MU flags come out in early January.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 10:49:35 AM »
That's pretty weak to hang the flags in January when the season has been going on for nearly 2 months (especially because by then we will be undefeated and ranked top 5). I agree Muzz Four Shadows will not be getting my business
Bring back FFP!!!

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 11:38:50 AM »
That's pretty weak to hang the flags in January when the season has been going on for nearly 2 months

Well when it comes to bars, much like the college sports environment, football rules. Even Iowa football.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 12:08:12 PM »
I see what your saying but thats a terrible way to look at it. There is one Iowa game a week that falls on a Saturday so you figure that even without the Iowa crowd they would be getting some business because its a Saturday. If you show the MU games which happen multiple times a week then you draw a crowd that otherwise wouldnt be in there. A few friends and I went to Four Shadows for a game earlier this year and when we walked in we were the only people in the place besides the bartender, they didnt show the game so we left which resulted in once again 0 people being there.

Clearly Iowa football games is when the place is most full, but get a solid showing for Marquette games and its basically a wash. Plus its a 30+ game season vs. a 12 game season. Just dumb on their part.
Bring back FFP!!!

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011, 01:58:32 PM »
Muzz how did you get so smart? I say forget about gay shadows and we #occupyblubayou

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2011, 10:06:44 AM »
Bumping this for gameday.  Outside of the Schoolyard (can't get there early enough to make it worth it), are any North side Scoopers gathering somewhere for the game today?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2011, 11:50:56 AM »
Bumping this for gameday.  Outside of the Schoolyard (can't get there early enough to make it worth it), are any North side Scoopers gathering somewhere for the game today?

I'm going to Four Shadows. I called and they are playing the game with audio.

Let's make it Schoolyard West.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2011, 12:47:59 PM »
I'm going to Four Shadows. I called and they are playing the game with audio.

Let's make it Schoolyard West.

Geez, with all the bitching from the peanut gallery you would have thought someone would have done that awhile ago.

I went to Four Shadows once and it was solid.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2011, 07:32:15 PM »
Went to Four Shadows for the Wisconsin game and figured I owed the group a report.

MU flags were up outside, alternating with Iowa flags. I saw 2 MU banners inside, but didn't look too closely. So it could use a little more Marquette flair, but I was glad to see they at least had something.

It was pretty busy. Every table was taken, but not too packed. Access to the bar was relatively easy. I'd say about half of the people inside were visibly Marquette fans (wearing MU gear). The rest might have been there for the game too, but it was hard to tell. It was a somewhat older crowd (mostly 30s) than the 20s schoolyard crowd, with some exceptions (including my table). As a result, somewhat less raucous but still a pretty good atmosphere. There was cheering with MU baskets and such.

They played audio for the game and had just enough HD Tvs scattered throughout the bar. I wouldn't say its the BEST place to watch a game, but it was good.

Food was fine. Had a burger. It was good. Beer was cheap. $8 pitchers of Miller Lite.

Since I live close to this place, I'll probably start going more often. During weeknight games I imagine it won't be quite as busy. I like the Schoolyard but this is a nice alternative. I'm going to make a point to try Blue Bayou at least once this year too. I'll let you know how that goes.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 07:37:16 PM by Victor McCormick »

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2011, 09:47:28 AM »
I guess most of us are good Catholics and can allow a second chance every now and then.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2011, 11:50:15 AM »
I guess most of us are good Catholics and can allow a second chance every now and then.

Being an Iowa bar is a mortal sin in my book... I hate myself for caring.

/guilt
//Catholic-ed

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2011, 12:04:12 PM »
For those in the Western suburbs, Emmett's Ale House in Downers Grove is a good place.  The owners are Marquette grads.  Another alum often brings pom pons, posters, etc.  We will most likely head over there to watch the Wisconsin game.

Emmets' is a great place to go for a beer and while I know they've sponsored a few Marquette days, haven't been there for a game yet. 

This past weekend, Quigley's (http://www.quigleys-irish-pub-southside-near-chicago-oak-lawn-sports-bar.com/ (the former Reilly's Daughter)) on 111th and Pulaski sponsored the event after signing a four game agreement with a recent Southside alumni that's in charge of the pom-poms that didn't know about Dinger's popularity.  The owner of Quigley's had a few kids graduate from there.   

The kid that organized it didn't know that there are always 5-20 alumni watching the game at Dinger's (http://www.facebook.com/dingers.bar) on 107th S. Western.  A 2001 grad owns it and employs 3 MU bartenders ('01-'04).  It's always a pro-MU crowd in there.  I'll be sipping on a cold one there tonight!