[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Top job question  (Read 3118 times)

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
Top job question
« on: April 02, 2007, 09:15:48 PM »
I've heard Jay Bilas mention a few times that Kentucky is "one of the top 3" jobs in the country.  We've all been talking about the upper echelon of coaching jobs as Kentucky, UCLA, Indiana, UNC, Duke, Kansas. 

I assume Bilas includes UCLA as one of the top 3.  He has Kentucky in there.  But which job it the last of the trio?  Am I right to automatically include UCLA?  Is Jay giving his alma mater a little more credit than is due?  I don't see many distinguising factors between the best of the rest of our "upper echelon."

Thoughts?

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
Re: Top job question
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 10:54:14 PM »
I've heard Jay Bilas mention a few times that Kentucky is "one of the top 3" jobs in the country.  We've all been talking about the upper echelon of coaching jobs as Kentucky, UCLA, Indiana, UNC, Duke, Kansas. 

I assume Bilas includes UCLA as one of the top 3.  He has Kentucky in there.  But which job it the last of the trio?  Am I right to automatically include UCLA?  Is Jay giving his alma mater a little more credit than is due?  I don't see many distinguising factors between the best of the rest of our "upper echelon."

Thoughts?

I wouldn't include UCLA, despite the history.  Reason -- they are on the West coast and the exposure is limited.  To me the top 3 are UNC (the top, IMO), Kentucky and Duke.  Kansas and UCLA would be next.  I don't see Indiana as in the very top tier anymore.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 11:24:52 PM »
I would say the top 3 (in no particular order)
Kentucky
UCLA
UNC

followed very closely by
Duke
Kansas

At this point in time it seems as if everyone else is more or less a wash. I'm going to take some heat for this more than likely but I believe Florida would be next on this list at this point in time. They have two titles and a runner up in the last 8 years. They have won some sort of SEC championship (tournament or regular season) in 6 of the last 8 years and have made the NCAA tournament in each of those 8 years. They are not quite there yet, but they are pretty damn close.

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 11:29:59 PM »
I wouldn't put Florida up there yet -- but I agree they are moving up -- I would probably put them with MSU, Texas, Illinois, UConn, Maryland and Syracuse.

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 07:32:26 AM »
Does FL get into that group if they have to find a new coach or are they where they are because of Donoven?

DAtruth

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 08:36:41 AM »
imo the answer is simple..the fans in kentucky have made that job almost unbarable..id say its gonna take an "inside guy" to quiet the fans down and be given the time to build his program..if donovan leaves florida..thats a good looking job to me..recent history, great fans, good salary, nba alum, o yeah..its the #1 vacation/retirement state in the u.s.... florida isnt top 3 job even with the 2 in a row so theres no way kentucky is...ancient history is exactly that ancient history..today im going to gainesville before lexington everyday of the week

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 09:18:13 AM »
today im going to gainesville before lexington everyday of the week

Let me guess, you've never been to Gainesville -- talk about in the middle of nowhere.  There is a big difference - Florida will ALWAYS be a football school.  Kentucky will ALWAYS be a basketball school.  That reflects the priorities of the state and their fans.

DAtruth

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 09:32:13 AM »
swing and a miss..been both places..for both football and basketball games..basketball only schools breed very ..extreme fans..kentucky job would be one of top jobs if u assume you are going to be well liked..and thats a stretch(if your name isnt bd..forget about it)though i will admit rupp is a special special type of place..feel the history

feedback