[Today at 02:30:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dickthedribbler
[Today at 02:27:07 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fox Sports is no ESPN  (Read 3833 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Fox Sports is no ESPN
« on: November 20, 2011, 10:16:58 PM »

Lousy production. Mickey mouse television compared to ESPN.

avid1010

• All American
Re: Fox Sports is no ESPN
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 10:25:31 PM »
the announcers said buzz gave a nice presser asking what FCS was...

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 12:16:22 AM »
and Todd's brother OJ is a star for the Vancouver Grizzlies.  That's a fair mistake they've only been in Memphis for 10 years.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 01:09:16 AM »
Lousy production. Mickey mouse television compared to ESPN.

Which is saying something, since ESPN is literally Mickey Mouse television.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 05:52:58 AM »
What a tech and talent cluster last night for the Fox crew producing the Paradise Jam game between Marquette and Mississippi.
The announced started the game repeatedly mispronouncing the names of players. (nice prep)  When the video feed is lost 3/4s of the way through the announcers stay with their normal commentary.  The general rule is to go to a radio style play by play.  Was this a business trip or a vacation for the announcers?   

As for the tech crew I can only imagine the fire drill they were going through.  In a venue like the one they had to work in there are landmine issues.  You just have to try and figure it out ahead of time.  Something as simple as a fan tripping on a cable or a faulty cable can do it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 06:05:57 AM »
So other people had audio? When it went down, I lost everything. At first it was a black screen, then they changed over to a MU/Ole Miss graphic with no sound. I turned on Homer and Jim, but the only time the audio from the game kicked in was during commercials.

Either way...awful production. Glad the game was well-decided before the major difficulties came up.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 06:12:00 AM »
they had a real man/boy love for vander.  he's playing pretty well...so far, but they were talking about him like he might go nba any day now.  he needs a couple of seasons to show he is for real, not one or two games

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 07:18:52 AM »
When the video feed is lost 3/4s of the way through the announcers stay with their normal commentary.  The general rule is to go to a radio style play by play. 

This was very strange.  I figured the announcers didn;t realize they lost video, but at one point they apologized and then continued with television type play by play.  Just awful.  Fortunately, at that point the outcome was decided.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 08:35:02 AM »
I cant wait for this tournament to be over so we can get back to normal production values.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 09:07:58 AM »
I'm pretty almost certain it's not a Fox production team on-site.  Basketball Travelers (the organizers for the PJ) more than likely contracts a crew, the equipment, etc. and sells a pre-packaged program to Fox who simply provides the up-link to fill a programming slot.

In other words, the production is entirely third party... if you must place blame, put it on Billy & Cletus Picture Box Productiamacations, Ltd. or Basketball Travelers for hiring such a crappy production company.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 09:49:11 AM »
couldn't believe they didn't make any changes after the lost picture. FSW had a picture of the crowd and the team names. switched over to MLS championship and kept coming back hoping for solution.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 10:00:47 AM »
Some Ole Miss fan just pulled the plug. Could'nt take anymore.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 10:01:04 AM »
I'm pretty almost certain it's not a Fox production team on-site.  Basketball Travelers (the organizers for the PJ) more than likely contracts a crew, the equipment, etc. and sells a pre-packaged program to Fox who simply provides the up-link to fill a programming slot.

In other words, the production is entirely third party... if you must place blame, put it on Billy & Cletus Picture Box Productiamacations, Ltd. or Basketball Travelers for hiring such a crappy production company.

Well, the play by play dude s a Fox guy as he does many Pac 10 games.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 10:44:17 AM »
They switched the pronunciation of Junior's name half way through the game and multiple times mentioned the wrong players subbing in.  It was just all over the place.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 11:08:28 AM »
Which is saying something, since ESPN is literally Mickey Mouse television.

Really, based on what...the thousands of sporting events they offer in HD? Fox sports, SI, and numerous others have tried and can't come close to matching the game experience. I for one love it when MU plays on ESPN, painful to watch games on SNY, MASN, etc.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 11:09:18 AM »
Really, based on what...the thousands of sporting events they offer in HD? Fox sports, SI, and numerous others have tried and can't come close to matching the game experience. I for one love it when MU plays on ESPN, painful to watch games on SNY, MASN, etc.

The fact that ESPN is owned by Disney.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 11:17:07 AM »
With a little work the guys I was watching the game with got the ESPN radio with Homer and McIlvaine to sync up with the TV (while the tv was working)
I just wish the TV broadcast was at the same definition as the commercials

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 11:49:25 AM »

The fact that ESPN is owned by Disney.

Ha, noted

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 11:59:59 AM »
Laura McKeeman in the pregame show called the tourney the "Parasite Jam" before laughing and correcting herself.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 05:21:06 PM »
Well, the play by play dude s a Fox guy as he does many Pac 10 games.

However, he's very likely not employed by Fox/FSN.  Most play-by-play and color analysts are independent contractors, free to work for whomever.  Even if he is a Fox employee, they may have made the guy available for the PJ, but that doesn't mean they produced the event.

Producers/organizers, TV production companies, TV crews, on-air talent, etc. may all be separate contractors (or sub-contractors of one another) at any given event.  They may work together, but they're not employed the same.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 05:26:02 PM »
However, he's very likely not employed by Fox/FSN.  Most play-by-play and color analysts are independent contractors, free to work for whomever.  Even if he is a Fox employee, they may have made the guy available for the PJ, but that doesn't mean they produced the event.

Producers/organizers, TV production companies, TV crews, on-air talent, etc. may all be separate contractors (or sub-contractors of one another) at any given event.  They may work together, but they're not employed the same.

nm
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 05:32:29 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 05:34:59 PM »
nm

"SportsHD won't produce live sporting events in HD in order to avoid direct
competition with major networks.
  Instead, the company will focus on
developing its unique "docu-sports" features, which will be enhanced by the
intimacy HD technology allows.  These productions will permit viewers to "get
inside" the world of sports -- and get to know the people involved -- like
never before."

Funny.... something tells me SportsHD will never have to worry about competing with major networks.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 05:54:51 PM »
Laura McKeeman in the pregame show called the tourney the "Parasite Jam" before laughing and correcting herself.

Ha, I remember that now.  Guess she gave us the name we should be calling it.

feedback