Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Didn't see the game...couple observations from the box score...  (Read 5052 times)

GGGG

• All American
Didn't see the game...couple observations from the box score...
« on: November 18, 2011, 10:41:31 PM »
Jamil...two points?

Jamail...seven minutes?  Has Mayo jumped ahead of him already?  3-4 from 3 is pretty sweet....

Lighthouse 84

• All American
Re: Didn't see the game...couple observations from the box score...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 10:47:46 PM »
I listened to Homer and Mac....a 4 point play for Vander and 2 3 pointers for him?  Whatever  he's eating, he'd better keep at it...
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 11:04:38 PM »
Jamil never really looked for his shot at all the whole time he was in.  He was playing alright, but I'm a little surprised he hasn't been a little more assertive on offense.  Especially because we know what he is capable of doing.

Jamail never really got in the flow of the game, and Mayo was playing some good defense on Jones.  Also hitting from outside.  Vander looked great out there.  He hit back to back threes at the end of the first half and second one where he was fouled was pretty long.  Looking like a totally revamped player on offense.  Shots are falling, he's converting at the line and finishing strong.  Could be a good year for him, hopefully come BE season too.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 11:17:46 PM »
If the rotation tightened up today, Mayo is definitely getting minutes.  Can score and plays really good defense; it'll be exciting watching him.  Jamil will get minutes since he can play multiple positions and the tendency of Otule, Gardner, Crowder to get into foul trouble - got to hope he can find his groove eventually.  Jamail isn't lost like last year, but if BE play started today he's behind DJO, Blue, and Mayo at the 2-3, would get more chances to contribute than last year but still needs to show more.  Sounds from the post game comments like Buzz really likes this deep rotation, but it's hard to believe there's 10 getting serious minutes in January.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 12:20:40 AM »
Is there anyway to catch a replay of the game?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 12:23:21 AM »
Is there anyway to catch a replay of the game?

Unfortunately I'm not seeing anything on the Paradise Jam live video site to replay the games.

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 12:33:56 AM »
From this fan's point of view, the Warriors are playing as a team ... well done for the third game. But ... four turn-overs by Junior, Winthrop scores 20 points over its average, and they sink 10 three pointers. This makes one wonder how it will all play-out (pun intended) once the Big East season begins. Regardless, the Warriors are a very, very talented team!

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 04:41:32 AM »
+1 If Junior and Davante had been a little more careful with the ball, It would have been a 30 point blowout, I believe.  Many of those turnovers lead directly to points for Winthrop. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 07:49:10 AM »
Jamil never really looked for his shot at all the whole time he was in.  He was playing alright, but I'm a little surprised he hasn't been a little more assertive on offense.  Especially because we know what he is capable of doing.

Jamail never really got in the flow of the game, and Mayo was playing some good defense on Jones.  Also hitting from outside.
It seems to me like Buzz is developing J Wilson the same way he developed Jimmy Butler...get strong, emphasize defense and rebounding, get scrappy points around the rim, etc.  My guess is that next year is J Wilson's coming out party, and this year we'll see him work really hard around the rim. 

With the way Mayo is playing, Anderson's potential, and the recruits we have coming in next year I would think Jones needs to find his way into the rotation this year or something will have to give.  From what I've seen over summer and during the year, and considering the recruits we have coming in, I'd rather see D. Wilson sit until he proves he can do something on offense, but I'm sure Buzz knows what he's doing. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 08:32:26 AM »
It seems to me like Buzz is developing J Wilson the same way he developed Jimmy Butler...get strong, emphasize defense and rebounding, get scrappy points around the rim, etc.  My guess is that next year is J Wilson's coming out party, and this year we'll see him work really hard around the rim. 

With the way Mayo is playing, Anderson's potential, and the recruits we have coming in next year I would think Jones needs to find his way into the rotation this year or something will have to give.  From what I've seen over summer and during the year, and considering the recruits we have coming in, I'd rather see D. Wilson sit until he proves he can do something on offense, but I'm sure Buzz knows what he's doing. 
Agree with a lot of your points here, however, disagree on D. Wilson.  D. Wilson is a very solid back up point guard...and on this team, there is no need for him to score.  D. Wilson is probably a better defender than Junior, and quite possibly less turnover prone.  Junior is probably a better passer, and better offensive option at this point, however.

At the end of the day - if Vander continues his strong play, and Todd Mayo provides some of the offensive punch he's shown these last 2 games, throw in Otule and Davante giving the team about 15 points per night, on top of DJO and Crowder....offense is the least of this team's concerns...which is why I see Wilson being an important member on the team for his defensive prowess and turnover free play..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 09:32:40 AM »
From this fan's point of view, the Warriors are playing as a team ... well done for the third game. But ... four turn-overs by Junior, Winthrop scores 20 points over its average, and they sink 10 three pointers. This makes one wonder how it will all play-out (pun intended) once the Big East season begins. Regardless, the Warriors are a very, very talented team!

Yet again, we give up a ton of three pointers.  What worries me is that Buzz mentioned this as a point of emphasis, yet we *still* have these problems.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 09:40:11 AM »
But listening to the game, according to Homer, the last one was a shake-n-bake pull up from 27 feet that banked in.    It seems like we have had a couple of those in every game.    In the first two games, very few were wide open looks.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 09:41:50 AM »
Jamil...two points?

Jamail...seven minutes?  Has Mayo jumped ahead of him already?  3-4 from 3 is pretty sweet....

I was probably one of the few who expected a slow start from Wilson. Going to take some time to get comfortable.

As for Microwave Mayo, no shock if he sticks in the rotation ahead of Jamail. We need a secondary threat in the backcourt and Jamail is burdened by that fact there are five players with his skills ahead of him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 09:55:02 AM »
But listening to the game, according to Homer, the last one was a shake-n-bake pull up from 27 feet that banked in.    It seems like we have had a couple of those in every game.    In the first two games, very few were wide open looks.   

I haven't seen either of the last two games...but let's just say that if other teams continue to get "lucky" I am going to start thinking that luck has very little to do with it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 10:16:50 AM »
In the Norfolk game, there was one that was a moving, leaning, banked in 3.   All you can do is contest.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

westcoastwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 10:23:48 AM »
Listen to Homet and Mac call the game last night.... It sounded like Winthrop guards where chucking up 3's just as they crossed the half court line.... homer kept commenting... That shot was taken way outside of the NBA line.  If that was the case...that speaks volumes about our defense...Winthrop guards felt that was the only open shot they had.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »

I haven't seen either of the last two games...but let's just say that if other teams continue to get "lucky" I am going to start thinking that luck has very little to do with it.

I watched the game...wouldn't take anything from those numbers...would agree that until a Buzz team proves it can defend against the 3 I won't believe it.  Overall the defense looked good, but I'm also afraid many holes will show up when we play against better competition.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 10:33:51 AM »
If that was the case...that speaks volumes about our defense...Winthrop guards felt that was the only open shot they had.

...and that we should have recruited some of their 3-point shooters.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 10:46:08 AM »

...and that we should have recruited some of their 3-point shooters.

...and we shot a higher percentage from 3 land

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 12:20:55 PM »

Gotta look at tempo free stats. That was the fastest game Winthrop played by about 10 possessions.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2011, 02:26:59 PM »
Gotta look at tempo free stats. That was the fastest game Winthrop played by about 10 possessions.
Might you be suggesting that Winthrop scored two points on each of their additional 10 possessions, or 7 of 10 from three point land, to score 20 above their season average?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2011, 02:47:57 PM »

At the same time, they were far more efficient than than in the other games they had played before MU and finished the game with an eFG% of more than 50%. 

The '20 points over its average' isn't the right measurement, but the point that we have room to improve on defense is real and relevant.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2011, 02:48:27 PM »
Might you be suggesting that Winthrop scored two points on each of their additional 10 possessions, or 7 of 10 from three point land, to score 20 above their season average?

No, he's saying that Winthrop wasn't that much more effective than you'd expect them to be. They scored on 10 three-point attempts, which is 5.5 above their average. They only had 9 threes total in their past two games. Their attempts were also up, 25 in this game versus an average of 16 per in their first two games. They shot better from three against us, but we did still shoot a higher percentage (47.4 to 40.0).

So the additional threes over twos gives them an additional 5.5 points. Figure that of those trips, at least one ended in a three, so that accounts for 7.5 points. That means they scored 12.5 points in the other 9 trips. Not great, but it's not like we choked away every additional possession. And for the game, we held them under 1.00 ppp. Not a bad defensive performance.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 02:50:54 PM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2011, 04:02:12 PM »
Ole Miss is shooting about 18% from 3 in their first 3 games (not to mention only 54% on free throws). If they suddenly go off from deep tomorrow that should be a red flag about our D.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2011, 04:55:08 PM »

Yet again, we give up a ton of three pointers.  What worries me is that Buzz mentioned this as a point of emphasis, yet we *still* have these problems.

Well, in our team's defense, many of those three pointers came way out side the NBA 3 point line. They were just jacking up and made stuff that no one expected.