Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Aaron Durley  (Read 24523 times)

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
Re: Aaron Durley
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2011, 12:47:53 PM »
It's sad that the three amigos are no longer seen on it though...

I agree, but it sure is nice to see Deonte in the right hand column!
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2011, 11:30:56 AM »
Big kid

A bit disappointed on who else was recruiting him.  South Florida and Chattanooga.  http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/75863/aaron-durley

Some of the previous coaches were destroyed here for landing kids that had those type of suitors.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2011, 11:42:07 AM »
Big kid

A bit disappointed on who else was recruiting him.  South Florida and Chattanooga.  http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/75863/aaron-durley

Some of the previous coaches were destroyed here for landing kids that had those type of suitors.

Nice try Chicos.  K State was closing in too.  Plus Buzz has shown the ability to develop Otule and Gardner, two similar under the radar bigs, therefore he gets the benefit of the doubt.  But keep trying to stir sh*t up.  Sad that everyone has ignored your Cracked Sidewalks posts about realignment so you had to come over here to drop a turd on a kid's commitment thread?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2011, 11:44:09 AM »
With some of the previous coaches, this would have been the best big they landed in their last 7 years here.   Did you read the whole thread and links?   Lots of schools (K-state, Texas AM, Arizona) were on him late.    And an untimely injury and a transfer undoubtedly contributed to the 2 star rating.   And BTW, at least at the moment, USF is in the same conference we are.   They were after another big we stole from them, too.   Remember DG?   
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 11:48:18 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2011, 11:46:06 AM »
A bit disappointed on who else was recruiting him.  South Florida and Chattanooga.

He didn't play his junior year. And if you did a bit more research, you'd know Texas A&M, Kansas State, Oklahoma, and Arizona have all been recruiting Durley as well.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1206693
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2011, 04:50:03 PM »
Big kid

Hilarious!  Par for your course - slight the current coaching staff,while trying to exonerate the past regime.  You are aware Davante Gardner was recruited by South Florida, right?  Seems as though Davante is on his way to a good career.  Thank you for posting the above as it truly reflects on your agenda...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2011, 06:53:04 PM »
MU will always have a hard time recruiting centers.  Mainly because there are few in Wisconsin to get.  In the last 50 years or so, Mac and Chones were elite centers at MU.  Jerry Homen
was more like it, 6'6" center. Odell Ball.  I am sure I am missing someone but not sure worth mentioning from Wisco.  Greg Steinsma, I can not think of another center as I believe Butch
was more of a forward.  So you can see how hard it is to get one over the years.  Even Illinois has not been a real hot bed either.  Jerome Whitehead.

Durley will be off the bench in high school so I am sure he will be off the bench at MU for a few years.  MU will not need him until his sophomore or junior year so he will have a great deal of
time to improve, maybe 3 years.  He might think of redshirting.  I only believe in redshirting if it looks like he has the talent to improve and needs the 5th year.  They will not need him
next year and they will have 13 players anyway next year.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2011, 07:57:02 PM »
He didn't play his junior year. And if you did a bit more research, you'd know Texas A&M, Kansas State, Oklahoma, and Arizona have all been recruiting Durley as well.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1206693

The reference was to those that actually offered a scholarship.  South Alabama, Chattanooga, South Florida. 

http://wldy-wjbl.com/news/?p=4963

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Aaron-Durley-107284

Recruiting is a nebulous term because most of these kids receive letters and appear in tournaments where schools are looking at the kids.  No different than some of the kids others  have signed that were recruited by the likes of Arizona, Illinois, and others but never offered by those schools.

He certainly is a huge specimen and you can't teach size. 
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2011, 08:48:50 PM »
The reference was to those that actually offered a scholarship.  South Alabama, Chattanooga, South Florida.

Are you a close personal friend of the Durley family? I ask that in all seriousness. Because unless you are, there's no way you can glean what schools actually offered him. Go to Rivals, Scout, ESPN, MaxPreps, Northstar, or Alex Kline and you'll get a different list from each one.

From what your Rivals link says, South Florida and Chattanooga weren't even recruiting him, yet you claim they offered (but conveniently didn't mention that K-State was also interested). Scout lists Marquette as the only school with interest. And all of them, including ESPN, fail to mention South Alabama, where Durley recently visited.

All we ever have to go off of when it comes to this stuff is recruiting reports. And every one of the schools listed in the article I provided is just as substantiated as any one of the schools you provided. So yes, as far as we know, he was also recruited by A&M, K-State (as your link indicates), Oklahoma, and Arizona. And you have no reason nor logical argument to dispute that.

MUcookie30

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2011, 12:06:17 AM »
Are you a close personal friend of the Durley family? I ask that in all seriousness. Because unless you are, there's no way you can glean what schools actually offered him. Go to Rivals, Scout, ESPN, MaxPreps, Northstar, or Alex Kline and you'll get a different list from each one.

From what your Rivals link says, South Florida and Chattanooga weren't even recruiting him, yet you claim they offered (but conveniently didn't mention that K-State was also interested). Scout lists Marquette as the only school with interest. And all of them, including ESPN, fail to mention South Alabama, where Durley recently visited.

All we ever have to go off of when it comes to this stuff is recruiting reports. And every one of the schools listed in the article I provided is just as substantiated as any one of the schools you provided. So yes, as far as we know, he was also recruited by A&M, K-State (as your link indicates), Oklahoma, and Arizona. And you have no reason nor logical argument to dispute that.

+1 Brew.  Very few people know who actually offered or the level of interest that both those who did and did not offer had

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2011, 09:22:11 AM »
Nice try Chicos.  K State was closing in too.  Plus Buzz has shown the ability to develop Otule and Gardner, two similar under the radar bigs, therefore he gets the benefit of the doubt.  But keep trying to stir sh*t up.  Sad that everyone has ignored your Cracked Sidewalks posts about realignment so you had to come over here to drop a turd on a kid's commitment thread?

Hoopaloop is not Chicos. 

I think his question about who else offered scholarships is valid.  I also think Brewcity did a good job of answering the question.

Don't be afraid of critical questions.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2011, 10:03:42 AM »
Hoopaloop is not Chicos. 

I think his question about who else offered scholarships is valid.  I also think Brewcity did a good job of answering the question.

Don't be afraid of critical questions.

I don't see any questions (critical or otherwise) in Hoopaloop's post - only assertions of fact that are evidently incomplete or untrue.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2011, 10:20:30 AM »
I don't see any questions (critical or otherwise) in Hoopaloop's post - only assertions of fact that are evidently incomplete or untrue.

You win on punctuation.  There were no question marks in his post.

Congratulations? 
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2011, 10:45:36 AM »
Big kid

Disgaree....with the previous coaches were destroyed for these types of recruits statemnet...  Previous coaches were destroyed when those said types of recruits stood 5'10 - 6'4. 

I think the vast majority of Mu fans is happy with the Pittsburgh/Wisconsin model of bringing in non-top 100 bigs ... 1 a year... and bringing them slowly thru the system.  The issue with Tommy Naismith was year after year our recruiting classes were 6'7 and under.  No even attempt to develop bigs....but hey why plan long term when u are renting?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2011, 10:54:27 AM »

Congratulations? 

Sugar is Chicos!

Blasphemer! Let's get 'em!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2011, 11:22:30 AM »

Congratulations? 

Wasn't trying to win on punctuation (or anything else). I took your "asking questions" statement literally, as in seeking information (which Hoopaloop definitely wasn't doing) rather than "questioning" (i.e., criticizing) which upon rereading is clearly what you meant. My apologies.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2011, 12:09:06 PM »
MU will always have a hard time recruiting centers.  Mainly because there are few in Wisconsin to get.  In the last 50 years or so, Mac and Chones were elite centers at MU.  Jerry Homen
was more like it, 6'6" center. Odell Ball.  I am sure I am missing someone but not sure worth mentioning from Wisco. 

The image of the proto-typical 7-foot center from Wisconsin begins and ends with Kurt Portmann.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2011, 01:09:56 PM »

The image of the proto-typical 7-foot center from Wisconsin begins and ends with Kurt Portmann.

Dave Mader begs to differ.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2011, 01:52:51 PM »
Enos Hendrickson
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2011, 06:18:13 PM »

For me, it is Roman Mueller ...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2011, 06:21:32 PM »
For me, it is Roman Mueller ...

Once referred to as "The biggest sleeper since Rip Van Winkle".

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2011, 06:55:11 PM »
"Burly Durley" will be throwing around his weight with fellow Bend HS alum Otule, Gardner, and Taylor.

Talk about some serious banging in the blocks!!!
SS Marquette

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2011, 09:41:16 AM »
Once referred to as "The biggest sleeper since Rip Van Winkle".

It's a good thing Rick wasn't around to say the same thing about JP Gavinski... the track record for bigs coming out of WDHS ain't all that great.

Incidentally, Wisconsin Dells won the State Championship the year after Ray graduated... that pretty much tells it all.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2011, 10:16:32 PM »

No sir, I am not a family friend.  The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel writer listed three scholarship offers

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/132668998.html

Another article had a quote from his mother and also listed the same schools.

http://www.examiner.com/marquette-golden-eagles-in-milwaukee/marquette-secures-verbal-commitment-from-aaron-durley

My assumption was the authors would have asked what the schools were and thus published them as they did.  It is certainly plausible that they did not do this and merely went off recruiting reports only.  That would be unfortunate and rather lazy by the author, but could have happened.

The question seemed fair to me about who else offered a scholarship, but so many posters here are so defensive it makes commenting here rougher than it needs to be.  Not picking on you, but there are others here that need a serious hug.  The Marquette I remember asked us to think for ourselves and ask questions. 

The kid is huge.  Must have been something in the batter's box.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2011, 10:48:49 PM »
The question seemed fair to me about who else offered a scholarship, but so many posters here are so defensive it makes commenting here rougher than it needs to be.  Not picking on you, but there are others here that need a serious hug.  The Marquette I remember asked us to think for ourselves and ask questions. 

The kid is huge.  Must have been something in the batter's box.

First of all, you're trying to do some revisionist history. This is what you first said:

This is what you are insinuating you first said:

Do you see the difference? Absolutely nowhere in your original post did you refer to "actually offered a scholarship" and posting the ESPN link in the first post doesn't support that because the only school listed as offering a scholarship there is Marquette.

You have developed a reputation for attacking Buzz and defending Crean. If that's your gig, fine, do what you like. But understand that doing that will build a reputation. Buzz, as our current coach, is seen as pro-Marquette. Crean, as the coach that snuck out Art Modell style, only telling us he was leaving from an Indiana podium, is seen as anti-Marquette. I could care less if either is accurate, the bottom line is that's the perception. This board is pro-Marquette. Do you see where posts like your initial one might come under criticism, especially when you contradict yourself so quickly?

When you always come across as critical (which most of your posts appear to be) people will read in criticism to your other posts whether it's there or not. In this case, your criticism was very thinly veiled. Suffice to say, you wouldn't have bothered to make any statement of the sort if the articles you read had said Texas A&M, Kansas State, and Arizona.

There are dozens of sources. The multiple links we both posted prove that. I asked seriously if you were a friend of the family because I don't think that you can judge the validity of which reports are accurate without that kind of connection. I also pointed out that the articles you posted with no provocation from me included information (K-State) that corresponded with the articles I posted. And I maintain you have no logical cause to dispute any of that.

I still fail to understand why you are trying to draw this line in the sand, why you are trying to change what you originally said from "recruited by" to "offered by". Buzz got a big that is attracting a lot of interest. I consider that a win. Why try to criticize it?

feedback