[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rob Belcore Rumor?  (Read 3647 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Rob Belcore Rumor?
« on: March 28, 2007, 03:26:50 PM »
A commenter on Cracked Sidewalks seemed to think Rob Belcore out of Loyola Academy had committed to MU's 2008 class.  Here's his profile:
http://www.chicagosports.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=47025&sport=2

Anybody else hear this?

muwarrior87

• All American
Re: Rob Belcore Rumor?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 03:34:33 PM »
can't say i have, anyone know much about him as a recruit and how he's done in high school so far?

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 03:40:17 PM »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 03:44:50 PM »
He's a shooter, and probably would get more attention is if weren't for the "Jordans" being at the same school.  Here's a couple articles:

Belcore heats up at right time: Loyola 72, Gordon Tech 63
Mark Potash

Loyola sophomore Rob Belcore has a shooter's touch. And a shooter's mentality.

Struggling for most of three quarters to find his jump shot, the 6-5 guard did what most good shooters do: He never flinched, kept firing away and eventually found his stroke.

Belcore scored 17 of his 23 points in the final 8:16, including four three-pointers, to rally No. 17 Loyola past host Gordon Tech 72- 63 on Friday.

"My dad always tells me: `You're a shooter. If you're hot, shoot. If you're not hot, keep shooting until you get hot,"' said Belcore, who also had eight rebounds. "I don't care if people get angry if I'm shooting and missing because I'm more angry with myself. I know my coach is behind me with every shot."

Belcore finished 7-for-14 from the field, with five three- pointers, after a 2-for-9 start.

"Great shooters sometimes miss shots," Loyola coach Bryan Tucker said. "The good thing about him is he's a sophomore. And even after that first half, he kept confidence in himself."

Gordon Tech (8-8, 2-1 Catholic League North), which had won five consecutive games, outplayed the Ramblers for most of the first three quarters. Sparked by Krishon Daye (26 points), the Rams used a 14-5 burst to open a 46-41 lead with 1:17 left in the third quarter.

"They're a really quick team," Belcore said. "You have to give them a lot of credit. They had a lot of momentum. They came out with a lot more energy. They wanted it more."

But Loyola (16-1, 3-0) scored seven unanswered points in the final minute of the quarter to take a 48-46 lead. Peter Sullivan made two free throws and Belcore passed to Matt Steger for a basket before Belcore made a three-pointer off a pass from Sullivan on an inbounds play to give the Ramblers the lead.

After Daye sank two free throws to tie the score at 48, Belcore made a three-pointer and a floater in the lane. Edward Hendricks later made a steal and scored on a layup to complete a 17-2 run that gave Loyola a 58-48 lead with 5:50 left.

Hendricks added 16 points and Sullivan 10 for Loyola. Joe Suhey had seven rebounds and Steger six.

"They're by far the best team in our sectional," Gordon Tech coach Adam Szyszko said. "Bryan Tucker does a fantastic job with them. They have so many players. [No.] 43 [Suhey] is a player you hate to play against, but you'd love to have him. They're a good character team. And they're fun to watch."

mpotash@suntimes.com
Copyright CHICAGO SUN-TIMES 2006

Belcore blends in, shines at Loyola
Taylor Bell

If Loyola Academy's Rob Belcore didn't play on a team that includes the sons of Michael Jordan and a seven-man rotation that emphasizes balanced scoring and unselfishness more than slam dunks and crossover dribbles, the 6-5 junior might be a headline attraction.

But it wouldn't be him.

"I hope people see a fundamentally sound, well-rounded, smart basketball player who respects the game," he said. "I enjoy making a nice pass. I take pride in the fact that I have a well-rounded game. I play the game right. I will sacrifice statistics for a win any time."

As a sophomore, Belcore contributed to a 27-4 team that lost to Marshall in the Sweet 16 by leading the Ramblers in assists, defensive rebounding, steals per game and three-point shots. He was second in scoring and shot blocking and converted 19 of his last 20 free throws.

It was good enough to earn scholarship offers from Loyola and Southern Illinois.

This season, Loyola is 10-0, ranked No. 3 going into Saturday's game against New Trier, and Belcore is attracting interest from more Division I schools, including Notre Dame, Iowa, DePaul, Marquette, Arizona State and Pittsburgh.

"Colleges are looking for complete players who understand the game," Loyola coach Bryan Tucker said. "He doesn't need to see his name in the newspaper. He is a 6-5 kid who can handle the ball, shoot it and defend. I see him playing at a high Division I level. I don't see how coaches wouldn't want a kid who plays all phases of the game."

Belcore would like to attend Notre Dame, where his father played on Ara Parseghian's practice squad. But he admits his dream school is UCLA.

"I would like to play in the Big East," he said. "I don't think UCLA will call me. They do most of their recruiting in California.

"I'll probably commit at the end of the summer, after the AAU season. I'll look at all of my options and make a decision."

He always is trying to improve his game and polish his skills. His mother tapes all of his games. Afterward, Rob breaks down the film offensively and defensively and has a 90-minute critique with his parents.

He averages 10 points, seven rebounds and four assists per game, a turnabout from his grammar school days when he was a dominant player. He once scored 49 and 51 points in AAU games. Now he rarely takes more than 10 shots per game while concentrating on team play.

An excellent student -- he ranks in the 90th percentile -- Belcore would like to take basketball as far as he can, maybe to the NBA. When his playing days are over, however, he wants to become a coach.

"As a player, I love to pick apart the game," he said. "I have my own playbook. I make up unique plays. For me, there is nothing more pleasurable than to draw up a play and watch people run it."

Copyright CHICAGO SUN-TIMES 2006
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 03:47:05 PM by rocky_warrior »

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 04:07:02 PM »
I'd be very surprised if that was the case. It's early, we need frontcourt players and we only have two open scholarships in that class assuming that Trend stays and does not redshirt next year.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 07:02:49 PM »
I'd be very surprised if that was the case. It's early, we need frontcourt players and we only have two open scholarships in that class assuming that Trend stays and does not redshirt next year.

agreed.  I hope this rumor is false.  MU needs help in so many other areas, and should be able to get a higher ceiling talent