[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 29 years ago today...  (Read 204300 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: 18 years ago today...
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 11:06:36 PM »
Hah, no kidding.  Of course, I was probably too poor that point to stock up on Warriors gear to keep me through the next 50 years....

No need when MUScoop has inside connections periodically selling them to us. ;)

DiUlio was all ego, but it was nice to go to the Sweet 16 (and the NIT Finals?) during his last years while at MU.

Re: previous posts, I miss Grebe's and the corner shop. *sigh*
SS Marquette

leever

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2011, 09:55:14 AM »
Anyone miss Dal's???????????

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2011, 08:58:49 PM »
Ouch!  Only 20 years ago?  I hate this change so much that it seems like its been a forty year hang nail.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2011, 11:54:12 PM »
Jay Bee, that is how I remember it, GE's vs. Lightning.  There was even a rumor going around that Lightning prevailed, but that was just a rumor.  Agree, if I was half as aware then I would have raised hell.  I did vote for Lightning, but I was probably impaired shall we say.

There were two votes as I recall.  And wasn't "Spirit" one of the choices?   I forget the other semi-finalist.  Golden Eagles was a foregone conclusion.  It was the talk of the athletic department before the "votes" were tallied.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2011, 09:51:37 AM »
Im embarassed to admit that I remember being really excited when they revealed the Golden Eagle mascot and he skated around on roller blades.  I thought he was awesome...then again I was 9.  Mind you I also LOVED Bleuteaux as a child

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2011, 09:52:34 AM »
"Cords said the decision wasn't the result of pressure from Indian groups."

"The decision - which Cords attributed to unspecified university officials..."

Somebody should get a prison sentence for this atrocity!

Thanks for keeping things in perspective.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2011, 11:37:57 AM »
Im embarassed to admit that I remember being really excited when they revealed the Golden Eagle mascot and he skated around on roller blades.  I thought he was awesome...then again I was 9.  Mind you I also LOVED Bleuteaux as a child

Bleuteaux... couldn't tell if thats a muppet abortion or a blue snuffleupagus turd

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2011, 11:42:18 AM »
Mind you I also LOVED Bleuteaux as a child

After the canning of Bluteaux , I "volunteered" to play an "unofficial mascot" for 2 games in the 1990-91 season.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2011, 12:44:16 PM »
I've never heard a bigger chorus of boos. That was really an embarrassment.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2011, 12:51:01 PM »
Sam Sauceda and the First Warrior really amped up the crowd, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2011, 04:52:36 PM »
I do not understand this unbridled hatred for Gold.  I understand the unbridled hatred for getting rid of Warriors, I agree with it.  But Gold is a far cooler name that Golden Eagles (Again Warriors is the preferred name but that is not going to happen).

Gold is unique  No one else has the name Gold.  Gold puts in with a select number of schools that use a color as their mascot.  I like MU among this select list:

Stanford = Cardinal (its the color not the bird)
U of Chicago = Maroons
Harvard = Crimson
NYU = Violets
Syracuse = Orange
Cornell = Big Red
Denison = Big Red
Dartmouth = Big Green

I would rather be associated with the schools above than this list:

Cal State-L.A. Golden Eagles
Charleston (WV) Golden Eagles
Clarion Golden Eagles
John Brown University Golden Eagles
Oral Roberts Golden Eagles
Southern Miss Golden Eagles
SUNY Brockport Golden Eagles
Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles
Spaluding Golden Eagles
Charleston Golden Eagles
Northeastern Illinois Golden Eagles
La Sierra Golden Eagles
Cornerstone Golden Eagles
St. Joes - Long Island Golden Eagles
Minn - Cookson Golden Eagles

You guys blew it.  We would be better off as Gold.  Instead you all whined like Occupy Wall Street and made it worse.  Thanks a lot!!

(and again!  I'm not saying it's better than Warriors)

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:04:11 AM by Heisenberg »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: 20 years ago today...
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2013, 08:58:15 AM »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2013, 11:15:37 AM »
I wonder how the guy pictured on the right hand side of column (Royce Dam) is doing these days. 

I just got off the phone with Royce. He is a bit hard of hearing but he has a fascinating story to tell. We shared our love of fly fishing and it turns out Royce is a Marine who served throughout the Pacific Campaign. Royce was in the 3rd wave to hit the beach at Iwo Jima - the wave when the Japanese defenders finally opened fire. Royce related that his unit took 80% casualties within the first 10 minutes of hitting the black sand. He mentioned that by the end of that first day his Platoon Leader was a Lance Corporal - everyone else in the chain of command was gone. Royce fought on Iwo for a week before finally catching a few. He was awarded the Bronze Star, Purple Heart and his war was over.

He said he was also on the front page of the last edition of the Milwaukee Sentinel, pictured with an American Flag. Unlike too many other nations, our military has always consisted of citizen soldiers like Royce who answered the call to duty, served with distinction, then returned to their civilian life. But while Royce left Iwo Jima it is clear that Iwo Jima never left him. God bless the Royce Dam's of this Republic.

Death on call

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2013, 10:11:38 PM »
Jay Bee, that is how I remember it, GE's vs. Lightning.  There was even a rumor going around that Lightning prevailed, but that was just a rumor.  Agree, if I was half as aware then I would have raised hell.  I did vote for Lightning, but I was probably impaired shall we say.

I had heard at the time from someone that should know (a trustee) that Warriors won in a write-in so the University took GE.

At the time I was so mad that I wrote in "PC a$$holes" and withheld my donation that year.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 10:14:40 PM by Heisenberg »

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2013, 09:14:44 AM »
This discussion made me go back to that link to see what else was going on that day.  The other picture on the front page is the widow of my high school classmate who had just died in the Black Hawk Down mission.  Dan Busch was another who answered the call to duty.

I just got off the phone with Royce. He is a bit hard of hearing but he has a fascinating story to tell. We shared our love of fly fishing and it turns out Royce is a Marine who served throughout the Pacific Campaign. Royce was in the 3rd wave to hit the beach at Iwo Jima - the wave when the Japanese defenders finally opened fire. Royce related that his unit took 80% casualties within the first 10 minutes of hitting the black sand. He mentioned that by the end of that first day his Platoon Leader was a Lance Corporal - everyone else in the chain of command was gone. Royce fought on Iwo for a week before finally catching a few. He was awarded the Bronze Star, Purple Heart and his war was over.

He said he was also on the front page of the last edition of the Milwaukee Sentinel, pictured with an American Flag. Unlike too many other nations, our military has always consisted of citizen soldiers like Royce who answered the call to duty, served with distinction, then returned to their civilian life. But while Royce left Iwo Jima it is clear that Iwo Jima never left him. God bless the Royce Dam's of this Republic.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2013, 12:22:27 PM »
I did the same Larrym.

Saw this MUBB treasure in the sports section:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=P51QAAAAIBAJ&sjid=AxMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4249%2C2909338

I remember he was coming to campus with hype. Cuse was supposeldy after him but for his other talents.

SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2013, 12:34:04 PM »
I did the same Larrym.

Saw this MUBB treasure in the sports section:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=P51QAAAAIBAJ&sjid=AxMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4249%2C2909338

I remember he was coming to campus with hype. Cuse was supposeldy after him but for his other talents.

I gotta ask if you knew this great Pinoy in McCormick named Mark Afable. Fr Rick Abert got us together to give us the "Have you considered becoming a Jesuit?" talk  when Mark commented, "You know Fr, being a Jesuit sounds great but there's this one little thing I'm not sure I can give up..." Even Rick laughed. Mark was one of the nicest guys I met at Marquette.

Death on call

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2013, 01:11:50 PM »

I gotta ask if you knew this great Pinoy in McCormick named Mark Afable. Fr Rick Abert got us together to give us the "Have you considered becoming a Jesuit?" talk  when Mark commented, "You know Fr, being a Jesuit sounds great but there's this one little thing I'm not sure I can give up..." Even Rick laughed. Mark was one of the nicest guys I met at Marquette.

I know Mark.  Good guy.  He's an attorney for American Family (Corporate side) in Madison. 
Ludum habemus.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2013, 01:18:14 PM »
I know Mark.  Good guy.  He's an attorney for American Family (Corporate side) in Madison. 

Glad to hear he's done well. He was a very genuine person back in the day. Seems he couldn't get over that one little thing, though.

Death on call

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2013, 01:35:33 PM »
Sorry, Keefe.

Sounds like he was before my time (AS '97).
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2013, 02:28:36 PM »
Sorry, Keefe.

Sounds like he was before my time (AS '97).

Hey, you never know. Afable was a great guy. Made the year in McCormick more bearable. I'm not surprised he did well, though. Mark was a very high character individual. His parents reared him well. Not many API's at Marquette, bro.

Death on call

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2013, 05:40:22 PM »
Mark is doing well well in life.. Had dinner with him and his wife recently...Yea,Somethings he couldn't give up for sure. 4 kids... ;-)  
1  grad from MU..  1  at MU now.. IIRC one at Miami of OH.. The last still in HS... Great family..
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:02:16 PM by guzica »

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2013, 12:39:14 AM »
Fordham has a fence and their campus is much nicer than ours and so is their "national draw"

Might also have something to do with the fact that Fordham is almost 50 spots higher in the US News Rankings than SLU (take the rankings for what they are, but perception is often reality), and Fordham is in New York City, while SLU is in Saint Freaking Louis, Missouri.

Having graduated from Marquette and SLU Law, I must say the "Island" effect is jarring at SLU. Campus is 2.5 to 3 miles from the Arch and downtown St. Louis, and while it is an extremely well-manicured campus with statues and artificial ponds, the neighborhood goes south REAL fast once you get two blocks out in pretty much any direction.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 12:42:34 AM by Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup »
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2013, 07:53:55 AM »
"Lightning" or "Spirit" would have sucked far worse than "Golden Eagles".

Those are names you give an Arena Football team.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:58:19 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2013, 09:02:12 AM »
"Lightning" was the name of the slow moving janitor in the "Amos and Andy" TV series. Not sure it would have passed the PC test either.

feedback