[March 18, 2024, 11:51:09 PM]

A Basketball Renaissance 50 Years In The Making by DavidBoone2inchesTaller
[March 18, 2024, 10:25:35 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by JWags85
[March 18, 2024, 10:01:37 PM]

NIL legal update by GoldenEagles03
[March 18, 2024, 09:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: 29 years ago today...  (Read 203720 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: 26 years ago today...
« Reply #525 on: October 17, 2019, 07:32:40 PM »
The correct answer was always to not have a mascot. We Are Marquette. Ring Out Ahoya. No mention of a mascot in either of those. Let the media call us what they want. We would've met the Potowatomi request and not strayed from the roots that mean so much to so many. It was the right answer when we first went away from Warriors, it was the right answer in 2005, and it should be the right answer today.

So are we the Marquette We Are Marquettes? Or the Marquette Whatever You Want To Call Us? Or just the Marquette?

And when we take on UNC for the national championship again, will the headlines read "The UNC Tar Heels and the Marquette             meet tonight for all the marbles".

I don't care if we don't have a mascot - but no nickname? We used to have the coolest nickname in college bball. Cool and unique. But unique without the cool (see "Gold" or no nickname at all) is (IMHO) lame.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #526 on: October 17, 2019, 10:07:11 PM »
So are we the Marquette We Are Marquettes? Or the Marquette Whatever You Want To Call Us? Or just the Marquette?

And when we take on UNC for the national championship again, will the headlines read "The UNC Tar Heels and the Marquette             meet tonight for all the marbles".

I don't care if we don't have a mascot - but no nickname? We used to have the coolest nickname in college bball. Cool and unique. But unique without the cool (see "Gold" or no nickname at all) is (IMHO) lame.

Just Marquette. No the, that's unnecessary. "The North Carolina Tarheels take on Marquette."

The natural consequence is announcers and fans would've still used Warriors, it just wouldn't have been official.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #527 on: October 17, 2019, 10:27:24 PM »

We used to have the coolest nickname in college bball. Cool and unique. But unique without the cool (see "Gold" or no nickname at all) is (IMHO) lame.

We did? Um, ok. There’s another college in Milwaukee with the same nickname, and a NBA team.

Now, Golden Avalanche (my vote in 2005), THAT would have been cool and unique. Warriors was meh without a good back story to its adoption (jumping on board to be similar with other mascots in Milwaukee at the time).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 10:42:32 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #528 on: October 17, 2019, 10:46:32 PM »
I voted for Scalpin' Savages.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #529 on: October 18, 2019, 08:03:35 AM »
The correct answer was always to not have a mascot. We Are Marquette. Ring Out Ahoya. No mention of a mascot in either of those. Let the media call us what they want. We would've met the Potowatomi request and not strayed from the roots that mean so much to so many. It was the right answer when we first went away from Warriors, it was the right answer in 2005, and it should be the right answer today.

No thanks.

The media and others would call us the nothings....” a nothing performance today by the nothings”...writes itself.  Dumb, not forward thinking and open to bad pub time and again.  It is hard for me to think of any team anywhere that doesn’t have a symbol or nickname associated with it for good reason.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #530 on: October 18, 2019, 08:18:28 AM »

I think Gold could have served this purpose and worked out OK.  No real mascot or nickname, just Marquette, but if people have to fill in the blank for some reason, they could just default to Gold.  It would have at least been better than Golden Eagles.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #531 on: October 18, 2019, 09:16:39 AM »
No thanks.

The media and others would call us the nothings....” a nothing performance today by the nothings”...writes itself.  Dumb, not forward thinking and open to bad pub time and again.  It is hard for me to think of any team anywhere that doesn’t have a symbol or nickname associated with it for good reason.

No they wouldn't. That's just stupid and ignorant. Do they call national teams "the nothings"? Do they call football clubs "the nothings"? No.

Both prove you can function perfectly fine without an official mascot, and fans will often attach an unofficial mascot name, such as Italy referred to as The Azzuri, Arsenal FC referred to as The Gunners, or Atlanta United being referred to as The Five Stripes.

We would've officially been Marquette, and unofficially remained Warriors. Everyone would've been happy.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #532 on: October 18, 2019, 09:48:56 AM »
No they wouldn't. That's just stupid and ignorant. Do they call national teams "the nothings"? Do they call football clubs "the nothings"? No.

Both prove you can function perfectly fine without an official mascot, and fans will often attach an unofficial mascot name, such as Italy referred to as The Azzuri, Arsenal FC referred to as The Gunners, or Atlanta United being referred to as The Five Stripes.

We would've officially been Marquette, and unofficially remained Warriors. Everyone would've been happy.

The national teams they call the Americans.

Ok, cool....the fans will attach a name.....the fans will attach Warriors as the name.  I love the idea.

Marquette Warriors

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #533 on: October 18, 2019, 11:07:16 AM »
I look forward to the year this thread isn't bumped. It was two days late this year, progress
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #534 on: October 18, 2019, 11:18:07 AM »
I look forward to the year this thread isn't bumped. It was two days late this year, progress

I'm with you.  I've never heard Stanford grads complain over their nickname change from Indians, nor Dartmouth. One would think now that Golden Eagles is well past drinking age people would stop living in the past over a nickname. Nicknames don't win games.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #535 on: October 18, 2019, 04:30:35 PM »
I'm with you.  I've never heard Stanford grads complain over their nickname change from Indians, nor Dartmouth. One would think now that Golden Eagles is well past drinking age people would stop living in the past over a nickname. Nicknames don't win games.

The front of the Jersey always said marquette it's weird how caught up in this people still are.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #536 on: October 18, 2019, 04:43:21 PM »
I'm with you.  I've never heard Stanford grads complain over their nickname change from Indians. One would think now that Golden Eagles is well past drinking age people would stop living in the past over a nickname. Nicknames don't win games.

You are kidding, right? The Stanford students have sarcastically adopted a floppy tree as their mascot to make fun of the change.

As to Warriors, the nickname represents a time in history when the MU students and basketball team protested social injustice by thumbing it’s nose at the establishment and won by breaking  through barriers. Learn your history Billy...even your doppelgänger agrees with this. 

The Warrior mascot on the other hand...

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #537 on: October 18, 2019, 04:47:08 PM »

"don't give up, don't ever give up"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #538 on: October 18, 2019, 05:13:02 PM »
You are kidding, right? The Stanford students have sarcastically adopted a floppy tree as their mascot to make fun of the change.

As to Warriors, the nickname represents a time in history when the MU students and basketball team protested social injustice by thumbing it’s nose at the establishment and won by breaking  through barriers. Learn your history Billy...even your doppelgänger agrees with this. 

+1.Sad that Billy and others know so little and care even less about Marquette's storied history. It's one they would (or at least should) be proud of.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #539 on: October 18, 2019, 06:00:39 PM »

actually, the Tree is the band's mascot.  It was chosen because it was so popular with fans during a time when Stanford did not have an official mascot.

And Warriors was chosen to jump aboard the train with the Milwaukee Braves coming to town. Even the guy who portrayed the First Warrior and was the actual face of the last logo was in favor of dumping it.

Best case scenario would have been never dumping Hilltoppers.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 06:12:13 PM by Billy Hoyle »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #540 on: October 18, 2019, 06:39:28 PM »

I work with a Stanford grad that has a Stanford Indian sign in his office.  He detests “the bush”....which is his nickname for the tree.

He is retiring next year after 40+ years of service.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #541 on: October 18, 2019, 07:16:54 PM »
Disagree on the donations piece.  Sure, there are some people that use it as an excuse and may have never wanted to donate, but there are no doubt people that have said this is the last straw...and stop.

Just as there are lifelong church goers that stopped going, or brand loyal consumers that never buy a product from a specific company ever again.  It happens.  People were pissed, some shook it off after time, some never have and never will despite years of support.  I know this for a fact because I can tell you at least through about 6 years ago there were some alumni that gave every year and stopped back when the decision was made and never gave again...still living.  We cannot ignore that reality...feel free to judge, but they have their reasons and principles, too.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #542 on: October 18, 2019, 08:00:50 PM »
I work with a Stanford grad that has a Stanford Indian sign in his office.  He detests “the bush”....which is his nickname for the tree.

He is retiring next year after 40+ years of service.

Lots of us dudes detest da bush, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #543 on: October 18, 2019, 08:05:04 PM »

Lots of us dudes detest da bush, aina?

You made me laugh Doc...definitely made me laugh.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #544 on: October 18, 2019, 08:48:21 PM »
My uncle, an MU grad, was traveling in France a few years ago.  His wife, my aunt(duh) had a toothache.  Looked up a dentist who advertised that he was bilingual.  Turns out he was an MU grad.  First thing he said to them after finding out uncle was an alumni was, why the hell did they change the warrior name!!!

don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #545 on: October 18, 2019, 10:17:30 PM »
Not long after the vote, I asked Diener, then a backup PG with the Pacers, which name he picked.

"Golden Eagles," he said. "That's all I know, and that's what I want to be."

Most people younger than 40 could give a rat's rump that we were Warriors when I and Doc and Lenny and Goose and so many other Scoopers attended Marquette. Forty years from now -- and actually, probably a lot sooner than that -- most won't even know we were ever the Warriors.

I liked being the Warriors. If there was more of a will to do so at the time, the school possibly could have saved the name minus the imagery. But they didn't, and that's that.

Frankly, in 2019, it's hard to believe this is even a "thing" for MU folks any more.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #546 on: October 18, 2019, 10:40:23 PM »
  Ya wanna know why we hang onto the warriors?  We won A LOT as the warriors!  And we won the BIG ONE as warriors.

It was changed almost overnight and unilaterally  how arrogant can one be, automatically assuming that the term warriors is all about them.  All we had to do was drop all references to “native Americans” and focus on the positive attributes of a “warrior”. It would have taken time, just as it took time for the term to become a “negative” connotation.  But those in positions of knowing better and having more “compassion” than us had already made up their minds.  People know when they’ve been made a fool of.  Might as well have dipped our fingers in purple ink-fair is fair, eyn’a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #547 on: October 19, 2019, 07:07:59 AM »

I think the main rub is that a great deal of people would have understood had Marquette dropped a name like "Indians", "Redskins" or "Redmen."  Those names are antiquated and should be dropped. 

However Warriors doesn't fit in the same category.  Yes, Marquette hung onto the Native imagery too long and was hard to separate from the name itself.  And everytime some douchy frat boy at a game shows up with a "headress" on his pudgy face, it reinforces that notion.  But if that imagery would have been dropped back in 1972, Marquette would likely still be Warriors today.

That being said, I'm largely over it.  Life moves on.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #548 on: October 19, 2019, 10:47:48 AM »
Not long after the vote, I asked Diener, then a backup PG with the Pacers, which name he picked.

"Golden Eagles," he said. "That's all I know, and that's what I want to be."

Most people younger than 40 could give a rat's rump that we were Warriors when I and Doc and Lenny and Goose and so many other Scoopers attended Marquette. Forty years from now -- and actually, probably a lot sooner than that -- most won't even know we were ever the Warriors.

I liked being the Warriors. If there was more of a will to do so at the time, the school possibly could have saved the name minus the imagery. But they didn't, and that's that.

Frankly, in 2019, it's hard to believe this is even a "thing" for MU folks any more.

Young and dumb.  With age comes wisdom.  Bad decision then doesn’t make it any less bad now.  Go Warriors.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #549 on: October 19, 2019, 10:48:29 AM »
  Ya wanna know why we hang onto the warriors?  We won A LOT as the warriors!  And we won the BIG ONE as warriors.

It was changed almost overnight and unilaterally  how arrogant can one be, automatically assuming that the term warriors is all about them.  All we had to do was drop all references to “native Americans” and focus on the positive attributes of a “warrior”. It would have taken time, just as it took time for the term to become a “negative” connotation.  But those in positions of knowing better and having more “compassion” than us had already made up their minds.  People know when they’ve been made a fool of.  Might as well have dipped our fingers in purple ink-fair is fair, eyn’a?

+ 100.  The elite always know better than the commoners and they make super duper decisions.

feedback