[Today at 12:37:36 PM]

Ben Gold's summer by MUbiz
[Today at 09:44:26 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[June 17, 2024, 08:36:32 PM]

Miletic Commits by Pakuni
[June 17, 2024, 04:37:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Indiana, Crean Self-Report Secondary Recruiting Violation  (Read 5086 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Indiana, Crean Self-Report Secondary Recruiting Violation
« on: October 11, 2011, 07:39:38 PM »
According to ESPN, Indiana has reported that one of their coaches (Tom Crean) made illegal contact with a prospect on October 6th. The last day for legal contact was October 5th.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Indiana, Crean Self-Report Secondary Recruiting Violation
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 07:58:44 PM »
Lenny Man, does it say where on said prospect's person, Crean allegedly made contact? And, are we certain whether the prospect was male or female?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:05:29 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 07:59:59 PM »
Hey now.. Gary Harris is a very important recruit.  I4 needs every edge he can get over the big boys.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 08:11:20 PM »
Maybe he showed up at the prospects house at 12:01am on the 6th because the limo was running late.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 08:14:03 PM »
Indiana should get another year of probation for this at least. Yes, it's only a secondary violation, but it's not like this was a mistake. The deadline is always October 5. There are two possible explanations. Crean deliberately visited Harris outside the deadline (seems likely), or Crean is so stupefyingly mentally handicapped that he accidentally broke a rule that has been in effect for as long as he's been in the business.

IU deserves the hammer for this.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 08:36:41 PM »
Indiana should get another year of probation for this at least. Yes, it's only a secondary violation, but it's not like this was a mistake. The deadline is always October 5. There are two possible explanations. Crean deliberately visited Harris outside the deadline (seems likely), or Crean is so stupefyingly mentally handicapped that he accidentally broke a rule that has been in effect for as long as he's been in the business.

If IU were smart they would have had something in his contract concerning NCAA violations, and they'd use this as a reason to get rid of him and hire Brad Stevens....better yet, go after Jamie Dixon so Pitt can add terrible basketball and football to the ACC.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 08:55:40 PM »
Lenny Man, does it say where on said prospect's person, Crean allegedly made contact? And, are we certain whether the prospect was male or female?

The sordid details are between TC and his Confessor (reported to be Jack Harbaugh or Tony La Russa).

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 09:27:22 PM »

For a secondary violation they realized later that day...self-reported...and then docked themselves two days off the recruting trail down the line?  Please.

Say what you want about Crean, but the guy is considered a pretty clean guy recruiting wise.  The NCAA isn't going to take this any further.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 09:50:06 PM »
I'm actually guessing he did this on purpose.

"Your such an important recruit that we're are willing to violate the rules for you."

Yeah you lose 2 days on the recruiting trail but make a bold statement in the process.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 09:51:11 PM »
For a secondary violation they realized later that day...self-reported...and then docked themselves two days off the recruting trail down the line?  Please.

Say what you want about Crean, but the guy is considered a pretty clean guy recruiting wise.  The NCAA isn't going to take this any further.

This wasn't an accident. There's no way. Every coach worth a nickel has his recruiting schedule fully planned out. Every day, every visit, every practice. This is the equivalent of an H&R Block accountant not realizing it's past April 15th. And when you're on probation like IU is, that means every misstep is viewed as though your previous infractions happened yesterday. Another year is fully deserved.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 09:53:36 PM »

Hard to believe someone as "detail oriented" (anal) as TC literally wouldn't know what day it was. TC has every day pretty much planned to the minute and I'm sure he co-ordinates his schedule with his staff. Didn't anybody know what day it was? Isn't it more likely he was seen by someone, knew it, and quickly reported it before the sh#t hit the fan? Maybe it was worth the risk to show "special love" to the #12 prospect in the nation.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 10:02:29 PM »
Agree with Lenny... got caught and did the only thing he could before word got out. That is the only thing that makes sense.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 01:21:39 AM »
I'm actually guessing he did this on purpose.

"Your such an important recruit that we're are willing to violate the rules for you."

Yeah you lose 2 days on the recruiting trail but make a bold statement in the process.

This.

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Take the hit, but hey, we got to have contact with the recruit.

Is he playing by the rules? Far from it.
How many coaches "self-reported" a violation for contacting a recruit ONE DAY past the deadline?
Not many, I'm guessing. Is it because they're smarter than TC, or is it the other way around?
Or is it so TC can 1) contact the recruit, 2) come forward to appear honest, and 3) get IU and himself in the headlines?
All of the above, I think.

In the end, the only person TC cares about is TC and his legacy. Not Indiana basketball...not Marquette basketball...
Thus, "It's Indiana, It's Indiana" is a misnomer for "It's About Tom Crean, It's About Tom Crean."
SS Marquette

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 07:31:41 AM »

A bit naive if you think they "realized it later that day".  TC knows the dates.  He knows the rules.  He knows when he can and when he can't contact a recruit.

This was all about a contact that no one else could make.  Showing the kid that IU really wants him.  It certainly sounds secondary on the surface, but truly it is not.  Especially for a university that had issues with illegal contact of recruits (using cell phones) and hired TC, in part, for his squeaky clean image.

The NCAA may sweep it under the rug (or punish Morgan State because of this), but that sends the wrong message as well.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 07:54:57 AM »
Everyone seems to be mis-interpreting what I mean...probably because I was clumsy with my words.

I never spoke to his intentions, and may have fact done it on purpose.  However, since it was a self-reported, secondary violation with penalties self-implemented, and since Crean has a reputation as a clean coach, the NCAA isn't going to do anything more...nor should they.

The fact that Crean is detail-oriented and smart enough to know better, is really irrelevent to the discussion.  The NCAA won't consider that at all.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 08:15:40 AM »
Everyone seems to be mis-interpreting what I mean...probably because I was clumsy with my words.

I never spoke to his intentions, and may have fact done it on purpose.  However, since it was a self-reported, secondary violation with penalties self-implemented, and since Crean has a reputation as a clean coach, the NCAA isn't going to do anything more...nor should they.

The fact that Crean is detail-oriented and smart enough to know better, is really irrelevent to the discussion.  The NCAA won't consider that at all.

So if you're "smart enough to know better" - and do it anyways - it's ok...?
The "average fan" is an idiot.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 08:27:41 AM »
Well, the alternative is that the unorganized and the moronic can get away with anything...

Look, it is like getting pulled over for speeding when going 6mph over.  If the driver has a clean record, he's not going to get a ticket even if the cop thinks he was speeding on purpose.  Adding another year to the probabtion is the equivalent of holding the speeder in jail overnight.

With all the crap going on in the NCAA these days, a coach contacting a recruit one day after he is allowed to do so, and then self-reporting it, is a minor offense.  It isn't a chronic problem for the coach in question.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 08:34:38 AM »

So, can we agree that Crean knowingly contacted this recruit after the deadline?

It's like you said...On the freeway, I chose to go 6mph over the speed limit, knowing it will get me to my desired destination sooner...with little to NO risk of a (noticeable) penalty.
The "average fan" is an idiot.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 08:37:15 AM »
If I were an Indiana fan....there's only one way I'd be feeling:

SQUIRMY!!
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 08:41:06 AM »
So, can we agree that Crean knowingly contacted this recruit after the deadline?

Well, we don't know for sure, but we can share that opinion.  I just don't think it really matters, because when the cop pulls him over, he is just going to say "Oh I'm sorry sir...I didn't realize I was going that fast."

If I were an Indiana fan....there's only one way I'd be feeling:

SQUIRMY!!

Secondary violations aren't all that uncommon.  Duke reported a violation a couple of months ago regarding the recruitment of Alex Poythress.  Nothing to be squirmy about.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 08:45:35 AM »
I should also add, that the NCAA generally has a positive view about occasional, and self-reported, secondary violations.  It shows that institutions have a commitment to compliance.  If they become routine (Sampson), or if the coach tries to cover them up (Pearl), that is when they bring down the hammer.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 08:46:04 AM »

Secondary violations aren't all that uncommon.  Duke reported a violation a couple of months ago regarding the recruitment of Alex Poythress.  Nothing to be squirmy about.

So in your view all secondary recruiting violations are created equal?  None are more egregious than others?  I can only imagine the departed CBB's reaction if Buzz did such a thing as to (knowingly) violate a widely known rule/date for contacting a recruit.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 08:56:54 AM »
I would tend to think that a meeting after the quiet period would be one of the more harsh 2nd Violations, compared to Phone calls.  My understanding is they changed the rule that took Sampson down becuase it was too hard to keep track of and they were too many violations.  I'm pretty sure they are not going to move the quiet period one day for Crean.  I would think they should punish IU in some way.  2 options would be extending probation for another year, another would be not allowing them to recruit Harris anymore.  I think the second would make the most sense.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 08:59:01 AM »
So in your view all secondary recruiting violations are created equal?  None are more egregious than others?  I can only imagine the departed CBB's reaction if Buzz did such a thing as to (knowingly) violate a widely known rule/date for contacting a recruit.

My view is that occasional, self-reported secondary violations by coaches with clean reputations are not that big of a deal.

And I'm not sure why you need to refer to Chicos other than proving that you are Captain Ahab and he is your Great White Whale.  He's not here any longer.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 09:02:02 AM »
I would expect a one game suspension like his mentor received for the secondary during the Dawson recruitment.