Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Aaron Durley visit  (Read 12230 times)

Slim

• All American
Aaron Durley visit
« on: September 30, 2011, 10:38:40 AM »
What do you know about this kid? IWB reports official visit today

MUCrew

• All American
Re: Aaron Durley visit
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 10:43:25 AM »
Quick Google search told me he's huge - 6-10", 270lbs:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Aaron-Durley-107284

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 10:47:55 AM »
From Saudi Arabia.  Played in the Little League World Series in 2005 with them.
http://www.thefullwiki.org/Aaron_Durley

Here's his twitter.  Talking about how cold and rainy it is here.
http://twitter.com/#!/adurley24
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 10:51:38 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 11:42:42 AM by MuMark »

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 10:55:30 AM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 11:02:30 AM »
No stars.   In the video, he looked pretty good against small guys.   I don't know how to break it to him that this is typical weather.    Ah, well.     I have always thought that if you are going to take on a project, make sure he is big.    That is why Mbao, McMorrow, et al never really bothered me.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 11:06:42 AM »
sign the kid up!!!   love his size and athleticism...two years of training and he will be ready to go when needed!!

Love to get him. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 12:01:46 PM »
No stars.   In the video, he looked pretty good against small guys.   I don't know how to break it to him that this is typical weather.    Ah, well.     I have always thought that if you are going to take on a project, make sure he is big.    That is why Mbao, McMorrow, et al never really bothered me.   

Like I told my friends from India when they said it was cold when it got down to 50°F.  Just wait until it gets actually cold.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 12:34:58 PM »
Same high school as Chris Otule. That can't hurt MU's chances.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 02:37:28 PM »
Would love to see him sign to play for MU.  6'11: is good.  Very good.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 03:02:08 PM »
Doubt that Nolan figures much into the equation.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dundiesel

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 04:15:57 PM »
I taught Aaron when he was a sophomore and watched him play a few games. Big, will take a lot of space in the lane. Above average athlete. Super nice kid. 

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 09:55:08 PM »
Sounds like David Hahn 2.0.....I can't imagine he is very high on Buzz's list.  Then again,  Buzz does like to take flyers on Bigs that no one else wants.  Time will tell on how often Buzz hits on these types....

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 05:05:02 AM »
Shouldn't we be at the point where we don't need to take projects, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 06:30:46 AM »
Yes, we should put all of our eggs in the McGarry basket.   ::)     There are only so many instant impact bigs out there.    As much as it hurts to say, Bo's system isn't so bad in this regard.   Develop them and play them after a couple of years. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 06:32:51 AM »
His high school transfer and lack of AAU exposure has kept him under the radar.  In Buzz we trust.  Otule is a key player in Aaron's recruitment.  Chris' success is a heck of a selling point to a player like Durley.  McIllvaine said it well in his radio interview yesterday -- there are only a few bigs out there and lots of competition for their services. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 06:37:37 AM by Tulsa Warrior »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 01:16:38 PM »
"His brother Cameron Durley is currently participating in the 2008 Little League World Series, also as a member of the Dhahran, Saudi Arabia team. Cameron is 6'2" and 228 lbs. at 12 years old [1]."

There are some big blessed genes in that family! Holy wow!

Aaron at the LLWS

But he sure SOUNDS like a Buzz recruit:

"Aaron Durley, once a Little League World Series star, doesn't mind talking about his past or his college recruitment via text message. The 2012 target will happily exchange short pleasantries and confirm reports that Kansas State has started a courtship. He'll even list off the handful of other schools interested in his services. The texts are prompt and polite and each one ends with the word "sir." Ask him to speak in more detail on the phone, however, and the 6-foot-10, Houston-based center displays his maturity again.

"I don't feel comfortable talking about colleges yet, sir," he writes. "Would you like to talk to my parents?
"

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1206693
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 01:22:43 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

Boone

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
Where'd David Hahn wind up? A JC?

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 01:52:03 PM »
In Buzz I trust.  His efforts are relentless and hass established a solid track record at Marquette.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2011, 02:59:25 PM »
His high school transfer and lack of AAU exposure has kept him under the radar.  In Buzz we trust.  Otule is a key player in Aaron's recruitment.  Chris' success is a heck of a selling point to a player like Durley.  McIllvaine said it well in his radio interview yesterday -- there are only a few bigs out there and lots of competition for their services.  

From what I read,  there doesn't seem to be much competition at all for him despite his phenom size.  If Buzz wants him,  he will get him.  As previously stated,  I think he is more of a David Hahn that gets a look,  but doesn't get the offer.  I don't know what percentage should be  considered good for out of nowhere Bigs....but this is where Buzz is at IMO.... 2-3.  I project Davante to be a clear "win"....homerun! Otule was a solid bench type as a soph and should be a decent starter for 2 years....another clear "win".  The "losses" are Roseboro, McMorrow, and Mbao.  Of the 3, they only accrued 1 season of actual play,  so scholarships weren't tied up,  however,  there was some bad PR on Roseboro and to a lesser extent Mbao.  So far it really has been hit or miss with no in between.

So right now,  I would say Buzz has a great percentage of hits on projects others don't think are high-majors.  If he gets a hit on the next project,  then his percentage will be phenomenal,  but if he misses his percentage would be average IMO.  It's too short of a resume to determine how good Buzz really is at turning around projects,  but with the way Buzz has unearthed talent at the other positions as well,  you have to figure that he really does have an eye for talent.

In other words,  If Buzz gives a scholarship to a big guy not considered to be a high-major,  there is a good chance that Buzz is right and everyone else is wrong!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 03:01:11 PM by DomJamesToTheBasket »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011, 03:07:08 PM »
I am glad to also see K-State is recruiting him. Frank Martin is a smart coach. If both him and Buzz are interested I'd guess there's at least some potential there. Will Durley ever capitalize on it? Who knows, but Buzz has a decent track record with under-recruited bigs. If he's the next Otule, I'd be overjoyed, and it'd be worth the risk, even if it's more likely he's the next Mbao.

That said, I'd sooner have Nolan, Hare, or Willms (since we seem out of the Mbargorba race), but as we've seen this year, competition for bigs is huge.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 07:15:13 PM »
That said, I'd sooner have Nolan, Hare, or Willms (since we seem out of the Mbargorba race), but as we've seen this year, competition for bigs is huge.

Is Marquette even involved with Hare?

The thing about Durley is that he's the one true 5 out of this group.  Hare looks to be more of a 4 like Auguste was and Nolan and Willms are more 4-5's. 

Saw some video of Willms playing for Findlay Prep in a game this week and he showed some offensive skills, but he would either not see any time as a freshman or would have to redshirt to get his body up to Marquette's level.

I'm not sure who I feel is best for MU and that's up to Buzz.  What none of us really know is the background of these kids and I'm talking academics, personality, work ethic and how each would fit into Marquette both in school and in the basketball program. 
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 07:24:21 PM »
 If Buzz wants him,  he will get him.  

...as long as he can prevent Milwaukee's weather from being cold and wet.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 08:27:22 PM »
Why aren"t we in on Nolan at all. Hes not big enough or aggressive enough?

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2011, 09:03:27 PM »
Why aren"t we in on Nolan at all. Hes not big enough or aggressive enough?

Buzz watched him at Riverside High School last week so they are keeping tabs on him. 
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On