Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Paterno: "I don't now where we're going to end up."  (Read 4884 times)

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
Paterno: "I don't now where we're going to end up."
« on: September 22, 2011, 10:53:05 AM »
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11264/1176244-215.stm

Wow, the Big Ten may start to regret getting reallignment going again if Penn State seriously considers going to the ACC.

Right now I just want stability, so any move that DOESN'T happen outside of the Big East adding a couple is good.

Decades ago Penn State was always the key to a viable eastern football conference, so it's a shame that didn't happen in another era.

"Things are changing and you're not really sure what's going to happen," Paterno said. "I don't know where we're going to end up. There might be even some speculation that Penn State maybe ought to get into something different, or we ought to try to go out and get some people from the East to come into the Big Ten."
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

GGGG

• All American
Re: Paterno: "I don't now where we're going to end up."
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 11:03:34 AM »
He means the collective "we," not the Penn State we.

Penn State is not leaving the Big Ten.  Ever.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 11:08:43 AM »
Looking for  Joe Paterno's take on any of this is akin to raptly listening to Abe Simpson talk about the history of lemon trees, or how turkey used to be called "walking bird."  MATLOCK!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 01:44:26 PM by lab_warrior »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 11:10:20 AM »
This is what JoePa says every time he gets behind the wheel.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 11:31:22 AM »
He means the collective "we," not the Penn State we.

Penn State is not leaving the Big Ten.  Ever.

Oh, I agree really - just having fun.  Though he does throw in speculation about PSU.  I am just hoping that everyone comes to their senses and realizes how stupid the four super conference concept actually is - no matter how powerful the people that want it.  I thought Mike DeCourcey gave the best interview on TSN on just how stupid these moves are now, with the motivation now being that "if you don't move you might get left behind."  As long as the Big Ten states keep losing people to the southern states though, the gap between their clout and other conferences will get smaller.

You have to click in the lower right hand corner to get it, and you might accidentally see Junior Cadougan attempting to sing - ouch!
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 11:37:14 AM »
I know this statement is ironic, but Joe NEVER speaks in absolutes to the media.  I have seen/read just about every press conference he has ever given since I was born and he just doesn't give a firm answer one way or another....see his retirement plans.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Guy Fieri's Dad

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 12:17:58 PM »
Joe is out of touch with the $ on this one. B10 football brings in way too much money to that school to ever leave. I believe he is just mad because B10 laughs everytime he says Rutgers would be a good addition to B10.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 01:02:33 PM »
Joe is out of touch with the $ on this one. B10 football brings in way too much money to that school to ever leave. I believe he is just mad because B10 laughs everytime he says Rutgers would be a good addition to B10.

The B10 makes more money now, but if the ACC launches its own network now and renegotiates its deal it could make far more.  Especially if they coax ND.  Add Penn State and they would make more money than the B10.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 01:19:06 PM »
The B10 makes more money now, but if the ACC launches its own network now and renegotiates its deal it could make far more.  Especially if they coax ND.  Add Penn State and they would make more money than the B10.

I'm sorry but no.  The ACC doesn't have the same types of fanbases that the B10 has.  Outside of North Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland it doesn't really own any vast markets.  It shares Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina with the SEC.  And the rest of the schools are clearly secondary in their own markets. 

Case in point...look at the embarrassingly poor attendance at the ACC Championship game.  I can guaranty you that you will not see that in Indianapolis.

If the ACC could make a network work, they would have done so already.  The blueprint is in place.  Furthermore you don't have to divide the proceeds 14 ways.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 07:23:31 AM »
I'm sorry but no.  The ACC doesn't have the same types of fanbases that the B10 has.  Outside of North Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland it doesn't really own any vast markets.  It shares Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina with the SEC.  And the rest of the schools are clearly secondary in their own markets. 

Case in point...look at the embarrassingly poor attendance at the ACC Championship game.  I can guaranty you that you will not see that in Indianapolis.

If the ACC could make a network work, they would have done so already.  The blueprint is in place.  Furthermore you don't have to divide the proceeds 14 ways.

Agreed with this, but sharing Florida is like owning any other state. You see Seminole stickers, flags, and license plate frames well south of Gainesville with more regularity than you see Wisconsin paraphernalia anywhere in the state outside Madison. Both FSU and Florida have more in-state support than any school north of the Mason-Dixon line.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JoBo2756

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 12:21:57 PM »
Agreed with this, but sharing Florida is like owning any other state. You see Seminole stickers, flags, and license plate frames well south of Gainesville with more regularity than you see Wisconsin paraphernalia anywhere in the state outside Madison. Both FSU and Florida have more in-state support than any school north of the Mason-Dixon line.

What about the 3.2 million Ohio State fans? Bet a good number of them live in Ohio ya think??

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 12:36:45 PM »
What about the 3.2 million Ohio State fans? Bet a good number of them live in Ohio ya think??

Your point being? Florida is about twice the size of Ohio (population-wise) and more diehard about their college football. OSU does fine, but there are plenty of Ohioans that care more about what happens on Sunday than on Saturday. In Florida, what happens on Saturday is all that matters.

MUSig54

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 12:41:25 PM »
Having unfortunately spent the last 4 years in Ohio, they definitely care more for Saturday football than Sunday football. You might see an occassional piece of browns or indians apparel, but on Saturdays everyone wears red.

JoBo2756

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 12:46:49 PM »
This is a stupid argument anyway, but checked and Florida isn't twice the size of Ohio according to Wikipedia.

Ohio i/oʊˈhaɪ.oʊ/ is a Midwestern state in the United States.[16] The 34th largest state by area in the U.S.,[17] it is the 7th‑most populous with nearly 11.5 million residents,

Florida i/ˈflɒrɪdə/ is a state in the southeastern United States, located on the nation's Atlantic and Gulf coasts. It is bordered to the west by the Gulf of Mexico, to the north by Alabama and Georgia and to the east by the Atlantic Ocean. With a population of 18,801,310 as measured by the 2010 census conducted by United States Census Bureau, it is the fourth most populous state in the country.

Plus, who else are the rooting for in Ohio? They don't have to split.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 01:02:08 PM »
Sorry, it's only 63% bigger  ::)

I just haven't seen anywhere in the north where the passion for college football is as high as it is in the south. I haven't lived in Ohio, but I haven't seen near the passion there in my visits as I have in Florida. Especially not in the northern parts of the state.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 01:24:19 PM »
But also, many in Florida are not natives and don't care for either Florida or FSU.  And you also have Miami in the state too.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 02:00:49 PM »

If you add Penn State to the New ACC they have a fan base of ~15.5 million.  Remove Penn State from the B10 and they are left with 15 million.  The same as the SEC.

Not that big of a difference.  Yes they have extra schools, but they also benefit from footprints in states like Florida (for a network TV sets matter more than fans, the B10 taught us that).

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 02:23:28 PM »
If you add Penn State to the New ACC they have a fan base of ~15.5 million.  Remove Penn State from the B10 and they are left with 15 million.  The same as the SEC.

Not that big of a difference.  Yes they have extra schools, but they also benefit from footprints in states like Florida (for a network TV sets matter more than fans, the B10 taught us that).

Penn State will never, ever, ever leave the Big 10. As has been mentioned elsewhere, there is a reason the Big 10 and SEC don't have exit fees. Because they don't need them. No one would be stupid enough to leave either of those conferences.

Did I mention never?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 02:37:22 PM »

It's not just TV sets that matter, but how much people are willing to pay for the network.  Based on things such as the interest in the ACC championship game, I don't think they have the same type of fanbase and would need to charge less than than the BTN.

Again, they could have already done this now in their current market.  Why haven't they?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 02:56:28 PM »
Penn State will never, ever, ever leave the Big 10. As has been mentioned elsewhere, there is a reason the Big 10 and SEC don't have exit fees. Because they don't need them. No one would be stupid enough to leave either of those conferences.

Did I mention never?

Your right that they will not leave, but the "there is a reason the Big10 and SEC don't have exit fees" comment is an empty argument.  They don't have exit fees because they require the teams to relinquish their 1st and 2nd tier TV rights.  That makes them useless financially to any other conference.

My point wasn't whether Penn State would leave, just that the difference in money would not be that much if the ACC launched a network.

As to how much people would be willing to pay for the network.  If you remember, people didn't want the network and didn't want to pay to have it automatically added.  Politicians behind the scenes required cable companies to include it in basic cable.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 03:02:41 PM »
OSU does fine, but there are plenty of Ohioans that care more about what happens on Sunday than on Saturday. In Florida, what happens on Saturday is all that matters.

Having lived in northern Ohio (Mansfield) for a few months a couple of falls ago, Ohio St football is #1 in that state by a wide margin. Not even close.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:04:52 PM by Eye »
GO WARRIORS!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 03:11:10 PM »
Having lived in northern Ohio (Mansfield) for a few months a couple of falls ago, Ohio St football is #1 in that state by a wide margin. Not even close.

Haven't seen that in my travels there. Especially when I was in Cleveland, no one seemed to really care about OSU. From my experience, college football is simply bigger in the south.

@forgetful, As far as PSU, why did you make them part of your argument, then? You know they wouldn't leave, that pretty much makes the point of the ACC being on even ground moot.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 03:33:37 PM »
Haven't seen that in my travels there. Especially when I was in Cleveland, no one seemed to really care about OSU. From my experience, college football is simply bigger in the south.

@forgetful, As far as PSU, why did you make them part of your argument, then? You know they wouldn't leave, that pretty much makes the point of the ACC being on even ground moot.

My comments still stem from up above, that the B10 makes way more money then the ACC for Penn State to leave.  My argument was the money could be a wash.  I also think they would rather be in the East Coast conference.  They won't leave because of the transfer of 1st and 2nd tier rights.  No one wants a team with no TV rights (the B10 would still receive all rights to Penn State games and proceeds from them). 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 03:48:35 PM »
My comments still stem from up above, that the B10 makes way more money then the ACC for Penn State to leave.  My argument was the money could be a wash.  I also think they would rather be in the East Coast conference.  They won't leave because of the transfer of 1st and 2nd tier rights.  No one wants a team with no TV rights (the B10 would still receive all rights to Penn State games and proceeds from them). 

I think the problem with it being a wash is that the ACC just doesn't have the types of state schools that the Big 10 and SEC do. They have a firm grip on North Carolina, Maryland, and Virginia, and FSU takes in enough, but it's not like there's a 10-state dominance. Four schools in North Carolina, their schools in South Carolina, Georgia, and (soon) Pennsylvania are at best second dog to SEC or Big 10 teams. And while they get markets (and agreed, the value of television sets) out of BC and Syracuse, those aren't areas where college sports are as popular as the comparable pro sports.

Meanwhile, the Big 10 and SEC both have the dominant school in 9 states. Is a strong presence in 4 states + Syracuse, Boston College, and a bunch of second-tier programs (compared to SEC dominance) enough to rival the big boys? Maybe, their next TV contract will probably answer that. I still think they're in the second tier of conferences.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2011, 08:01:38 PM »
But also, many in Florida are not natives and don't care for either Florida or FSU.  And you also have Miami in the state too.

I lived in Florida during Miami's title runs.  They are an afterthought in Florida. 

As to your other point, yes, there are transients.  Florida and FSU, though, carry the day.  Both from the telecasts, sports leads and fan base.

feedback