Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DEONTE BURTON COMMITS  (Read 18398 times)

GoMarquette32

• Team Captain
DEONTE BURTON COMMITS
« on: September 02, 2011, 06:42:22 PM »
Per ny to la on twitter.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
Re: DEONTE BURTON COMMITS
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 06:50:17 PM »
Yes!!! Enough of the commit teasing already!

No press conference, no games, is this 1990?

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 07:10:23 PM »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 07:19:33 PM »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 07:22:33 PM »
Awesome!!! This is the 2013 prospect that Mark Miller was hinting at a few weeks ago. Fantastic news for Marquette! Ring out Ahoya!
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 07:23:56 PM »
Potentially highest rated recruit since...Doc?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 07:36:18 PM »
HUGE!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 07:38:45 PM »
Loving LIFE!  Depending on whihc service, currently behind Doc and Trottier, and believe would need to jump 4-spots in Rivals to pass Blue and be a 5-star, but overall average is already higher than Blue i believe.

this is HUGGGEEEEE!
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 07:42:52 PM »
Kid is real deal and major get. If he improves outside shot he will be tough to stop.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 07:49:18 PM »
Awesome news!!  Congrats to Deonte, his family, and Buzz and staff.  A great birthday present for Buzz!

MU is going to be a real force in the years to come.  Think we are headed for a return to the 70s - a program that will be considered among one of the elites.  Buzz has that kind of cache, charisma - and his program will only continue to turn out more and more NBA caliber players, and high character individuals.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 10:29:51 PM »
Burton is great get. Come on down Nolan and Auguste. I know we need to cut one. Hey, hope Fischer, Fuller, Looney, Burrell and Landers think seriously about MU when their time comes. One or two of these guys would be a big help. Not asking for much am I. Go get 'em Buzz.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 10:37:54 PM »
Highlights for all Brewster Academy games last year... Not a whole lot of Deonte as they had some pretty good talent on that team, but definitely able to see he's no slouch.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=brewster+academy+basketball+2011&aq=0&oq=brewster+ac

Had 20 in this game with a bunch of dunks...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thpDLZmcVLM

Also, according to this report outplayed top 10 2012 Amile Jefferson in Vegas.
http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/article/2082/Las-Vegas-Day-2-Recap.php

« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:15:27 PM by dw3dw3dw3 »

Slim

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 11:00:35 PM »
I was standing in a long line at a funeral home. Thought I would check scoop to see if there were any developments, When I saw this I loudly said "YES". I was kinda embarassed.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 11:02:07 PM »
First of all, what an amazing player/get for Buzz and Co.  Love the power, the wingspan, and the lefty handles.  Huge, huge, huge signee.  LOVE this kid.

Secondly, I think that high school team could beat half of the D1 teams out there.  Crazy talent on that squad.

Happy Birthday coach.  This Burton commitment makes today a birthday for all MU fans.  Fricken frackin awesome.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 12:06:56 AM »
A lineup that must be reckoned with. Just need a C and PG in the following classes to solidify the team.

Welcome to MU, Deonte!

Milwaukee represent. Mos def.
SS Marquette

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 02:45:39 AM »
I was standing in a long line at a funeral home. Thought I would check scoop to see if there were any developments, When I saw this I loudly said "YES". I was kinda embarassed.

I thought that I was the only one who functioned this way

+1

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 05:47:00 AM »
Watched a few different vids on Youtube...first wing player (2 or 3) on MU since Wade that can catch and dunk in the lane without needing a step or dribble???  I see that tape, and think about the development kids make under Buzz...he could have a promising career beyound MU.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 06:08:00 AM »

Alright, Alright, Alright!!!

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 07:38:57 AM »
A lineup that must be reckoned with. Just need a C and PG in the following classes to solidify the team.

Welcome to MU, Deonte!

Milwaukee represent. Mos def.

Welcome Deonte!  I also really like that he is from Milwaukee, we haven't recruited local players all that well lately (although Jamil came back home, eventually).  Really excited about him, he definitely has the athletic chops to hang in the Big East.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 07:53:39 AM »
Welcome Deonte!  I also really like that he is from Milwaukee, we haven't recruited local players all that well lately (although Jamil came back home, eventually).  Really excited about him, he definitely has the athletic chops to hang in the Big East.

What about DB?

Who have we gone after locally, other than Tokoto, over that past few years that chose someone over us?

Warrior3211

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2011, 08:24:05 AM »
This is a huge pick up for MU, but reading his scouting report makes me think there is a risk this kid could be the next Vander Blue.  By that I mean he will have major expectations coming into MU in a few years, but it doesn't sound like he has much of an outside game. I just hope his current coaches urge him to develop his jump shot otherwise he's going to let a lot of fans down.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2011, 08:30:03 AM »
Blue is going to be very good before he graduates.  For a freshman, he did fine last year.   What you are talking about is instant gratification.    And while there will always be the hope that we hit on the rare freshman who can come in and start in the BEast, the reality is that this kid projects to eventually be very good.   The most important word there is 'eventually'.    Maybe not an immediate star, but definitely could 'eventually' become one.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2011, 08:35:54 AM »
This is a huge pick up for MU, but reading his scouting report makes me think there is a risk this kid could be the next Vander Blue.  By that I mean he will have major expectations coming into MU in a few years, but it doesn't sound like he has much of an outside game. I just hope his current coaches urge him to develop his jump shot otherwise he's going to let a lot of fans down.

I understand the concern, but I don't think that's as much of a worry as it might seem. First, Burton is maintaining his recruiting ranking despite playing against the highest level of HS competition. Blue never had to face the level of talent at Memorial that Burton is playing against at Brewster. I still have hopes for Blue, but it's far more likely that you'll artificially increase your recruiting ranking at a Wisconsin HS (*cough* JP Tokoto *cough*) than you will if you're performing at somewhere like Brewster Academy. Second, his body is ready now, and he's still got two years. Burton is a physical force in ways that Blue hasn't been. Burton is able to be a lot more tenacious down low because of his physical prowess.

Who knows, maybe he's being oversold, but I really think when you look at the level of competition he's doing it against and the sheer physical difference between the two, Burton is a much more convincing prospect at the same point of their careers.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2011, 08:37:23 AM »

Nice.  Trash a current and future player in one post.  Directly from his coach, via an article on Scout:

“His jump shot has been coming along pretty well,” said Lee. “He has put a ton of effort into it, especially in the second half of the season. He knows he has to utilize his jumper to create his dribble drive. At first his jumper was non-existent. The ball rotated sideways if it rotated at all and his off hand was in his way basically blocking his own shot over the first couple of weeks. Now he has really improved, and he is becoming a solid shooter.”

Dude's got two years to develop his jumper and is clearly working on it.  This is also a reason for his transfer - to work on his game against much better competition so he can't just dominate with his clear athletic gifts.  He's going about things in a very smart way thus far.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2011, 08:40:31 AM »
What about DB?

Who have we gone after locally, other than Tokoto, over that past few years that chose someone over us?

Fair enough, Tokoto was the one I was thinking of, primarily.  Jamil was also local, and didn't come here initially... Jerry Smith also didn't want to stay home.  But you're right, its not like there are a ton of local guys we've recruited and lost.  

Point is, I'm just glad that we're holding onto the local talent!

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »

Vander arrived at MU as a 17 year old - he's extremely young for his class.  As has been pointed out - Burton's body already is Big East ready and he's playing against some of the best competition the country has to offer.  Vander has tons of physical gifts, but strength/physicality isn't one of them.  However, Vander's speed, agility, quickness, etc., are all 5 star quality.  Perhaps his freshman year wasn't as great as some thought it should be - but he has all the tools, and by all accounts works hard. 

I remain high on Vander and think he will have a very nice career at MU.  Personally, I never expect GREAT things out of freshman entering the Big East - particularly when they enter a roster with a good deal of talent in front of them at their position.  The Big Three were an anomaly in that there was virtually NO talent on the team when they came in as freshman - and they all got to play 30+ minutes per game from Day 1.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2011, 09:05:39 AM »
The kid is starting his junior year in high school.   He has time to develop a reliable jumper.   He is playing for a good coach against tough competition.     He will be fine. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2011, 09:10:57 AM »
Any of you old time dudes see some Brute Force, all be it a taller version, in Burton?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2011, 09:20:43 AM »
Welcome Deonte!  I also really like that he is from Milwaukee, we haven't recruited local players all that well lately (although Jamil came back home, eventually).  Really excited about him, he definitely has the athletic chops to hang in the Big East.

• 2009: The top prospect was Jamil Wilson, who will end up at Marquette.
  • 2010: We recruited the top Wisconsin prospect in Vander Blue.
  • 2011: We didn't get anyone from Wisconsin, but it was a pretty weak field. I'd argue that any of our recruits are at least as good or better than Paul Jesperson.
  • 2012: We lost out on Tokoto and Dekker seemed like he was going to UW from day one, but we did bring back a Wisconsin transfer in Jake Thomas and are still in on Milwaukee native Philip Nolan. Also, we got the top Chicago prospect in Steve Taylor.
  • 2013: We recruited the top Wisconsin prospect in Deonte Burton and are still in on Luke Fischer and Nick Fuller.
  • 2014: We were the first school to offer top Wisconsin prospect Kevon Looney.
That's a total of six recruiting classes in Buzz's first 3 1/2 years. He's brought in four Wisconsin kids and is aggressively pursuing numerous others, while also reopening Chicago with Reggie Smith and Steve Taylor. I think he's doing a great job of recruiting locally.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 09:23:16 AM by brewcity77 »

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2011, 09:29:36 AM »
21st Century Brute Force  8-)

Burton has time to develop that outside shot.  God gave him a special athleticism.  His prep school situation is outstanding both on the court and in the classroom.  Deonte has the potential to be a Pied Piper for a group of outstanding Milwaukee areas prepsters.  In terms of the number of high D1 players the next three years looks to be the best in the history of SE Wisconsin high school basketball.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2011, 11:22:26 AM »

Alright, Alright, Alright!!!

I was waiting for this post.  This is awesome news!

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2011, 11:50:24 AM »
This is awesome.  Jamil Wilson, Deonte Burton, Phillip Nolan, and God willing Kevon Looney would be a helluva Milwaukee quadrumvirate for us!

T.V. Diener 34

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2011, 04:46:43 PM »
wanted to tell you guys a few weeks ago and even hinted towards it in a few posts but didn't wanna spoil the surprise :)

reinko

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2011, 05:08:34 PM »
wanted to tell you guys a few weeks ago and even hinted towards it in a few posts but didn't wanna spoil the surprise :)

So cool.

bigbuckyfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2011, 05:17:01 PM »
  • 2011: We didn't get anyone from Wisconsin, but it was a pretty weak field. I'd argue that any of our recruits are at least as good or better than Paul Jesperson.
  • 2012: We lost out on Tokoto and Dekker seemed like he was going to UW from day one, but we did bring back a Wisconsin transfer in Jake Thomas and are still in on Milwaukee native Philip Nolan. Also, we got the top Chicago prospect in Steve Taylor.
  • 2013: We recruited the top Wisconsin prospect in Deonte Burton and are still in on Luke Fischer and Nick Fuller.
That's a total of six recruiting classes in Buzz's first 3 1/2 years. He's brought in four Wisconsin kids and is aggressively pursuing numerous others, while also reopening Chicago with Reggie Smith and Steve Taylor. I think he's doing a great job of recruiting locally.

Ok, obviously a Wisconsin fan here. I think Burton is a great get for you guys, and man, he's a heck of an athlete! Not that it matters, but would he still be considered a Wisconsin prospect, considering that he's going to Brewster Academy? Because in some cultures, Bronson Koenig would be considered the top 2013 prospect. I know he isn't ranked as high nationally but his offer list is really, really impressive. Anyways, Burton only makes an athletic Marquette team better. I think Buzz is raising the level of the program.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2011, 05:20:19 PM »
Posting on this website with that user name is always a smart idea

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2011, 05:23:23 PM »
Ok, obviously a Wisconsin fan here. I think Burton is a great get for you guys, and man, he's a heck of an athlete! Not that it matters, but would he still be considered a Wisconsin prospect, considering that he's going to Brewster Academy? Because in some cultures, Bronson Koenig would be considered the top 2013 prospect. I know he isn't ranked as high nationally but his offer list is really, really impressive. Anyways, Burton only makes an athletic Marquette team better. I think Buzz is raising the level of the program.

Interesting question.  I have wondered that myself.  I think to some, you are correct, it would be Koenig.  But what locale does Burton get to call home?  He is from Milwaukee and still lives here.  Spends the summers here.  

I liken it to Terry Sanders.  He spent a year at prep, but most everyone think of him as a Milwaukee and Wisconsin product.

ken8406

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2011, 05:25:36 PM »

I have to agree here. I think this commitment shows Buzz is getting a strong hold of the NEPSAC schools. Being that Todd Mayo (Notre Dame Prep), Derek Wilson (Hotchkiss), and now Burton (Brewster Academy)

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2011, 05:42:03 PM »
I have to agree here. I think this commitment shows Buzz is getting a strong hold of the NEPSAC schools. Being that Todd Mayo (Notre Dame Prep), Derek Wilson (Hotchkiss), and now Burton (Brewster Academy)

I didnt care to look it up, but I doubt other BE teams located in the Northeast dont have as many or more recruits from these schools....and have been mining these schools for many more years.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2011, 05:48:45 PM »
Posting on this website with that user name is always a smart idea

He came over and was respectful.  No reason to beat the guy up for rooting for another team :)

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2011, 06:30:26 PM »

If it was a case where his family made the move strictly because they were moving, I'd consider him a product of New Hampshire. But since he's just there for the academics and basketball, I still consider him a Wisconsin kid. Similar to someone like Nolan, who may have went elsewhere to improve his game, but was always a Wisconsin native.

Koenig is an excellent prospect, and the top 2013 currently playing in Wisconsin, but I'd still consider Burton the state's top prospect for the year. No disrespect to Koenig, I expect him to be a solid player wherever he ends up.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2011, 07:01:16 PM »
If it was a case where his family made the move strictly because they were moving, I'd consider him a product of New Hampshire. But since he's just there for the academics and basketball, I still consider him a Wisconsin kid. Similar to someone like Nolan, who may have went elsewhere to improve his game, but was always a Wisconsin native.

Koenig is an excellent prospect, and the top 2013 currently playing in Wisconsin, but I'd still consider Burton the state's top prospect for the year. No disrespect to Koenig, I expect him to be a solid player wherever he ends up.

Yep.  He's a Wisconsin kid.  He only plays hoops and goes to school somewhere else.  Bet Jimmy Butler still says he's from Texas even though he played college ball in MKE and NBA ball in Chicago.  By the way, nice victory by Bucky over UNLV.  That was an impressive showing by the O; D maybe needs a bit of work.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2011, 07:03:30 PM »

Although it didn't work out, also landed Maymon, the #2 WI prospect in 2009.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
What a nice get for the program.  Can't wait to see Deonte suit up for MU in a couple years.  Way to go, Buzz!

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2011, 02:39:44 AM »
I love the get.  The only issue I have is we can't refer to him by his initials DB.  It just makes him sound like a douche bag.  And a kid wanting to play ball in front of his family and friends is far from that.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 02:41:25 AM by seakm4 »

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2011, 03:23:54 AM »
I love the get.  The only issue I have is we can't refer to him by his initials DB.  It just makes him sound like a douche bag.  And a kid wanting to play ball in front of his family and friends is far from that.

I thought you were going to say his DB initials remind you of Dwight Buycks. Even still, not sure I understand the reason for this post. Since when does a person's initials determine their personality?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2011, 08:58:27 AM »
I remain high on Vander and think he will have a very nice career at MU.  Personally, I never expect GREAT things out of freshman entering the Big East - particularly when they enter a roster with a good deal of talent in front of them at their position.  The Big Three were an anomaly in that there was virtually NO talent on the team when they came in as freshman - and they all got to play 30+ minutes per game from Day 1.

As Al said, "The best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores."

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2011, 11:54:01 AM »
As Al said, "The best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores."
His original bit of wisdom was the best thing about sophomores is that they become juniors. That was before freshmen were eligible.

ken8406

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2011, 08:31:32 PM »
I didnt care to look it up, but I doubt other BE teams located in the Northeast dont have as many or more recruits from these schools....and have been mining these schools for many more years.

UCONN has a stranglehold on the New England Preps. His roster is filled with them. Napier, Orhiaki, Coombs-McDaniel, and Drummond all coming from there.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2011, 11:32:53 AM »
Providence is starting to get a foothold in the Big East too. It is amazing that they got Dunn, and Ledo

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2011, 11:56:40 AM »
Just saw this on Twitter and I smiled. If anyone's worried at all about losing recruits, I think they can rest easy when it comes to Deonte Burton. I have a feeling that we could get shipped to the Horizon and he'd still come here to help Buzz lead us to victories.

Quote from: @DeeBurton6
I don't think.marquette was a good choice I think it was the best choice !!!

I can't wait to see this kid in blue and gold.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2011, 01:51:25 PM »
Yeah Baby!---Welcome DB!!!

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2011, 03:17:22 PM »
I see politics in Deonte's future.  The guy is spot on with every remark.  I can't wait to see this beast on the court.  I'm thinking other teams are going to be seriously  scared of facing Gardner and Deonte in 2 years......guys are going to be hitting the deck hard. We should consider having a black & blue uniform that year to commemorate the bruise brothers.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2011, 03:45:44 PM »
We should consider having a black & blue uniform that year to commemorate the bruise brothers.

Hey, I'm all for that, as long as it doesn't look like this...

The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

feedback