[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by PJDunn
[Today at 07:36:37 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Mitch McGarry, WOW  (Read 5471 times)

swoopem

• All American
Mitch McGarry, WOW
« on: August 31, 2011, 08:18:28 AM »
I was watching PTI yesterday and they showed this highlight of Mitch at a pickup game, I think it was an Under Armor event, and he tore the back board down, glass cut his shoulder, and he got 30something stiches in his collar bone area. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvDJ8MyoWGY

I know we are not in on him anymore, or at least not in his top 4, but holy Sh!t this dude is insane. He is an absolute monster and I know he said he would be open to a 5th team if they continued to contact him so as Lloyd Christmas once said "Your saying there's a chance"
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 08:21:18 AM by cbowe3 »
Bring back FFP!!!

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Mitch McGarry, WOW
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 09:27:13 AM »
Based on watching that interview - not sure who sounds like a bigger tool - Mitch McGary or Brett Roseboro?

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 09:30:31 AM »
I can't play the sound at work right now, whats the interview like?
Bring back FFP!!!

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 09:38:55 AM »
I can't play the sound at work right now, whats the interview like?

Well....he refers to himself as being called "White Chocolate," since he's the only white kid at the event, but then decides to bestow the nickname "White Thunder" upon himself due to his breaking the backboard...all of course in his best white guy trying to sound black voice...which is the height of annoying.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 10:50:22 AM »
As far as the final list...thought McGary had 6 on his list, and don't think he left any room for new openings. Sounds more like what Auguste said, having us in his final 4 with room for a fifth.

But yeah...McGary's a beast ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 11:20:37 AM »
Well....he refers to himself as being called "White Chocolate," since he's the only white kid at the event, but then decides to bestow the nickname "White Thunder" upon himself due to his breaking the backboard...all of course in his best white guy trying to sound black voice...which is the height of annoying.

If only all 17-year-olds could be as cool as Ners was at that age  ;)

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 11:26:50 AM »
It wasn't that impressive of a dunk.  He was hanging on a playground basketball hoop and it shattered.  It is not like he powered it down and it broke.

muzzwilliams

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 01:41:04 PM »
I beg to differ, that was pretty impressive. We could use a dominating presence like that in 2014

LON

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 01:41:54 PM »
If only all 17-year-olds could be as cool as Ners was at that age  ;)

Haha.  I guess.

Although, even if this kid came to MU, I would not let the besmirching of "Chocolate Thunder" take place at my school. 

It's blasphemy, I tell you!

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 01:44:43 PM »
I beg to differ, that was pretty impressive. We could use a dominating presence like that in 2014
Word is Mitch is working out with the human highlight reel Trend Blackledge this offseason to bring the thunder in 2014.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 02:03:13 PM »
It wasn't that impressive of a dunk.  He was hanging on a playground basketball hoop and it shattered.  It is not like he powered it down and it broke.

Agree....100%

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 02:08:30 PM »

I gotta wonder about you Ners.  He sounds like most 18 year old boys.  I don't think he's trying to "sound black"...I don't even know that that means.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 03:30:38 PM »
I think he just sounds like a smug douche who thinks he is pretty cool.

It wasn't impressive... its pretty simple science.  A big dude hanging on the outer rim of the hoop is probably going to shatter a fair share of backboards.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 04:44:43 PM »

Well, you can only do so much when some idiot puts a microphone in your face and asks these beauties (paraphrasing):

• "Tell us what happened...backboard couldn't withstand it...walk me through this."
  • "You have a reputation as a tough and intense guy...is there anything that could have possibly happened to top what you did here at Venice Beach?"

I have a hard time imagining how anyone could answer such stupid questions without sounding a little bit full of himself.  And I didn't think that there was anything at all wrong with the way that he was talking; didn't think that he was trying to sound black.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 05:44:50 PM »

I gotta wonder about you Ners.  He sounds like most 18 year old boys.  I don't think he's trying to "sound black"...I don't even know that that means.

I gotta wonder about you Sultan - If you can't detect an accent that sounds black, well, you are just in denial.  Every culture has different speech patterns, vernacular - White, Asian, Black, Hispanic, Indian....and all are perfect as they are...and are the way they are intended to be.  No need in trying to sound like something you are not.  McGary sounded like a tool, just like Brett Roseboro sounded like a tool.  McGary' initial accent wasn't so exaggerated, but as the interview went on..it just progressed more and more black.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 05:59:36 PM »
I don't know how you are in a quandry about his speech .. he  is exposed to the Balck culture in basketball as that is the dominate one. Have you ever heard Luke Walton speak?
And as he got more and more excited he emphasized it that much more.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 06:15:43 PM »
I don't know how you are in a quandry about his speech .. he  is exposed to the Balck culture in basketball as that is the dominate one. Have you ever heard Luke Walton speak?

Fair point - I've probably belabored the point far more than I should have....as at the end of the day it isn't really that big of a deal.  Guess I just think he came off a little like a tool.  And I guess there is merit to your point as well - that it may just be natural for people to begin to adopt the accent of the speech patterns they are most around.  As I think about it...I've actually done just that...having moved to Texas 14 years ago from WI....I know use y'all and other southern words/probably even dialect than WI.  I do look forward to the day I hear a white dude talk like an Indian, now that should be AWESOME!!

I'll shut up on the matter now...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 08:28:23 PM »
I gotta wonder about you Sultan - If you can't detect an accent that sounds black, well, you are just in denial.  Every culture has different speech patterns, vernacular - White, Asian, Black, Hispanic, Indian....and all are perfect as they are...and are the way they are intended to be.  No need in trying to sound like something you are not.  McGary sounded like a tool, just like Brett Roseboro sounded like a tool.  McGary' initial accent wasn't so exaggerated, but as the interview went on..it just progressed more and more black.

::)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 07:48:41 PM »

Honestly, it is more about where you grew up, and who you grew up with more than anything.

Nothing to do with race.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 11:36:56 PM »
Corey Hart.  Dude's white, doesn't talk like a black guy, can't understand a word he says.

Jaybee.  Dude's white, can't understand a word he says cuz he's got a johnson in his cheek 95% of the time.... ;D

feedback