collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: I hope the administration doesn't get any bright ideas...  (Read 13359 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
Re: I hope the administration doesn't get any bright ideas...
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 07:10:20 PM »
I have a hard time believing that someone stood up in front of a roomful of Marquette students and stated either of those things.

Don't be ridiculous. Of course they didn't. There's a lot more to communication than what someone says. Someone can communicate something without having to state it.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 08:51:51 AM »
I have a hard time believing that someone stood up in front of a roomful of Marquette students and stated either of those things.

Take a Dr Boles Political Science class.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2011, 12:36:50 PM »
I think the line on beliefs toward homosexuality, etc is difficult at an institution such as Marquette.  On one hand, the widespread interpretation of scripture in the Catholic church is that it is sinful, etc. Those who subscribe to that philosophy/theology are certainly entitled to that belief. 

However I think the overriding concern needs to be that an RA is the first in line aiding and supporting students who, for the first time, may be coming to grips and confronting directly their sexual identities, preferences, etc.  This can be an extremely traumatic experience psychologically, and without the proper support network, can be downright deadly.  Even though RA's might adhere to the personal belief that such behavior is sinful, allowing that to in any way affect their handling or offering of support in such a situation could bear horrendous consequences for all involved. At what point do the RA's personal beliefs bear into what they see, want to see, and do about a potentially dangerous situation? I'm not nearly smart enough to answer that responsibly.

* Note: this is in no way an indictment of Crowder (whose original post has I think, to some extent be misconstrued - particularly considering his latest posts) or anyone else on this board. I just wanted to highlight the tenuous and confusing relationship between diversity training that teaches RAs how to handle situations and teaches them how/what they should believe or what is bigotry, etc. Its an essentially impossible situation.

feedback