Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gtown Fight vs. Chinese Team  (Read 6318 times)

avid1010

• All American
Re: Gtown Fight vs. Chinese Team
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 07:58:11 AM »
I was half asleep this morning when they played it on ESPN, but I could swear they said the two teams are scheduled to play again, and Thompson said his kids will be ready to play.  Thought they said it was a military school team.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 08:31:11 AM »
Two Wongs don't make a White.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2011, 08:38:17 AM »
Lived in China for a year now and that is simply how they fight here. It doesn't matter how big and strong you are, it is all about numbers. Any fight in a bar and you better clear out because some dude and 20 of his buddies will be stabbing everyone within reach with broken bottles in a hot second...

So it's like living amongst 1/2 billion Sig Eps?

That's f-ed.

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2011, 09:17:17 AM »
Two Wongs don't make a White.

I'm marrying a Wong. If I had a nickel everytime I've heard that joke...or tossed it in her direction. haha

I've only been with her for two years, I can't imagine how many times she's heard it!

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 09:39:56 AM »
Hoyas are all safe and sound. They are continuing the tour.

The rematch game is up in the air. Sunday's opponent is now listed as TBA.

The Bayi Rockets are the Military team. They're all members of the PLA. So grown men with military training attacking college kids. SMH.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2011, 09:51:48 AM »
Do you think that if this happened in Al's era, he would have left them get their licks in and THEN step in?

The discrepancy in fouls definitely reeks foul, but having the chips against you also, using a Buzz term, reveals the character of your team.

In Al's era, they came here. Our guys played the Cubans and Russians between 1975 and 1978. Sure, there would have been some anger over the physical play, but don't forget that Al's message was waste them where it mattered -- on the basketball court playing better basketball.

I remember only once where things really got out of control with an Al Coached team -- a 1972 game against South Carolina in Columbia where the game was quite physical and the guys just pounding on each other. It was a Sunday afternoon national TV game and it became real ugly real quick.

But that's the only time I ever remember an Al team losing its composure. Now Al, on the other hand.....

Incidentally, the Russians were the 1972 Olympic Thieves and Marquette destroyed them. Just wasted them.

That was the night we knew we had something special. 18 months later, we were proven right.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 09:56:13 AM by dgies9156 »

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2011, 10:33:58 AM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-georgetown-chinese-teams-make-peace-after-brawl-20110819,0,3416504.story

BEIJING — The Chinese team that got into a nasty brawl with Georgetown University players in an exhibition game went to the Beijing airport Friday to reconcile and see off their departing rivals ahead of a rematch Sunday in Shanghai.

A brief statement from Georgetown said head coach John Thompson III and two of the team's players met with representatives of China's Bayi Rockets following "heated exchanges" in Thursday night's exhibition game.

Elections Chinese Vice Foreign Minsiter Cui Tiankai said Bayi members went to Beijing airport to see off the Georgetown team and the sides exchanged souvenirs.

"My understanding is that it's all cleared up," Cui told reporters at a briefing on Vice President Joe Biden's ongoing visit to China. "We're pleased about this outcome."

The two teams play each other again on Sunday in Shanghai.

Chinese basketball fans slammed Bayi, which is owned by China's military, for its part in the brawl that forced the cancelation of a match intended to promote U.S.-China goodwill during Biden's visit.

Video footage showing players punching each other and throwing chairs spread swiftly on the Internet and worldwide TV news.

"The Bayi team have really lost face now," wrote a user named anoia on China's popular microblog Sina Weibo, the Chinese equivalent of Twitter. "No matter who is right and who is wrong, you have fought the visiting team as the host ... especially while their second man in charge is in this country."

It was the latest instance of on-court fighting by China, whose players have been fined tens of thousands of dollars by the world and Asian federations for scrapping with opponents.

In October, China's national basketball coach, a manager and three players were suspended for an ugly brawl with Brazil's team that left one Chinese player in a neck brace. Fights are also not uncommon at Chinese football matches.

The video clip appears to show American players falling over Chinese players as they all run for the ball, and then two members from each side slamming into each other. Seconds later, the brawl breaks out.

Chinese fans weren't impressed.

"Does the Bayi team think they are better at Chinese kungfu than basketball and that is why they are desperate to show it off," said a Sina Weibo user named JF1113.

"I just don't get it that China is fighting other people all the time. And they lose the games too," said another user named QimaDdou.

Another, nego—lu, called players in China "poorly educated."

The Georgetown Hoyas are in China on a 10-day goodwill trip that has been cited by the U.S. State Department as an example of sports diplomacy that strengthens ties between the two countries' peoples.

Su Qun, a well-known basketball commentator in China, said blame shouldn't be aimed solely at the players.

"It's not correct for players to fight. But we see fighting occasionally and it is often because of management problems in sports teams," he said. "It's important that teams have strict rules on discipline."

Several NBA players have been considering China as a destination in the event the U.S. season was canceled due to a labor dispute.

However, the Chinese Basketball Association poured cold water on those ambitions Friday, saying it would not accept contracted NBA players, and would require any free agents coming to the Chinese league to play for the full season.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2011, 11:07:28 AM »
Hm...if they do play on Sunday, it could be interesting.  Anyone know if the game would be televised here?