Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] What does the potential NCAA settlement mean for MU? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[May 22, 2024, 09:36:22 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 22, 2024, 07:26:16 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by rocky_warrior
[May 22, 2024, 06:25:06 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by BCHoopster
[May 22, 2024, 06:19:00 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by tower912
[May 22, 2024, 01:36:06 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Texas A&M to SEC...confirmed???  (Read 15223 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Texas A&M to SEC...confirmed???
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2011, 11:38:29 AM »
Texas and Notre Dame are self-serving. They will do whatever allows them to keep their separate TV contracts, which means they are likely both to be independents. I do not think conference affiliation matters to either of them.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2011, 12:02:52 PM »
Texas and Notre Dame are self-serving. They will do whatever allows them to keep their separate TV contracts, which means they are likely both to be independents. I do not think conference affiliation matters to either of them.

Do you think other schools join conferences for reasons other than self-interest? Are they all just in it for the greater good?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2011, 12:50:49 PM »
Let's not exagerate UT's ability to go it alone.  Right now they are projected to get $15M per year from the Longhorn Network, on top of the $10M they get per year from the B12.  Even if they moved all of their sports programming to the LHN, I don't think they make up for the $10M. 

Notre Dame would make more money by joining the B10.  That has been well documented.  They remain independent more out of tradition than anything else.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2011, 10:35:03 AM »
After realizing:

1- The 13 year $ 1 Billion Big 12 TV deal, signed last year, could be voided, giving the other Big 12ers, and ESPN, a possible huge suit claim against TAMU, and also against  anyone one helping/inducing this contract breach, for  tortious interference;

2- The SEC wouldnt bite on such risks, and the other problems(uneven conf team numbers- requiring another invite to balance, etc), quickly, so it made TAMU no current offer to join the SEC;

3- The UT network, partnered with ESPN is launching, giving UT a permanent leg up in the Big 12, and in $$;

and

4- The TAMU folks have even refused to talk with UT folks...TAMU is so mad at UT right now it isnt even on speaking terms..

..it was time to decide on whether to file divorce papers....so....

TAMU made the official announcement, that even though delayed by their recent jump the SEC gun debacle (they are Aggies, after all-lol), TAMU will leave the Big 12, as soon as they can work out the split to somewhere else, who will offer it:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6895751/texas-aggies-officially-notify-big-12-conference-exploration

The more reasoned slower delayed approach hopefully will allow TAMU to avoid the lawsuit, negotiate a liveable B12 buyout, and move to another conference...

but,

A 100 plus year rivalry is permanently injured, and will never be quite the same, again.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 10:38:43 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2011, 06:26:48 PM »
Apparently TAMU and the B12 have settled on compensation and agreed not to sue one another.  And the SEC is going to possibly announce their membership as early as the end of this week BUT, a 14th team isn't going to be likely added until the 2013-14 year.

My guess is that the B12 will simply add one more (BYU is my guess) and move on.  The BE is likely safe for now.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2011, 05:04:33 AM »
Apparently TAMU and the B12 have settled on compensation and agreed not to sue one another.  And the SEC is going to possibly announce their membership as early as the end of this week BUT, a 14th team isn't going to be likely added until the 2013-14 year.

My guess is that the B12 will simply add one more (BYU is my guess) and move on.  The BE is likely safe for now.

...you're kind of over shooting the actual status, as such is still pending $$ agreements, but there is reason to believe you'll be right, in the end.

TAMU got some B12 (attorneys) help..(..gulp...maybe even had to go to a UT law grad..)...and they have a memo on the methods, issues, etc on how to do this right, with no suit from B12, or ESPN vs it or the SEC.

Aggies are never  law guys, but as good engineers, they are great at reading and following a set of plans when given them, and likely, an agreement is coming on buyout, timing, etc

..."Texas A&M's path out of the Big 12 and into the Southeastern Conference grew wider - and closer to an end - on Monday.

The Aggies received a letter from the Big 12 that "outlines the withdrawal procedures according to the financial provisions of the Big 12 bylaws and mutual waivers of legal claims," according to A&M spokesman Jason Cook.

A&M considers the setting aside of threats of lawsuits huge as it continues the process of exiting the Big 12 and entering the SEC.

Determining an exit fee - and estimates on that are wide-ranging, according to various media reports - appears to be the lone remaining obstacle for the Aggies' impending departure, and an announcement they've left the Big 12 might come as soon as this week....."

http://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/article/Big-12-gives-A-M-guidance-on-what-may-be-a-hasty-2146764.php
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2011, 08:35:10 AM »

The problem with that assumption is that you think the SEC will sit idly with 13 teams and go ahead with an uneven schedule. I very much doubt that happens with the division set up and all.

The biggest concern for the Big East is that the SEC will add an East team to keep the divisions aligned, mostly assuring the 14th team comes from the ACC or BE which will start the dominoes to fall.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence