'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sure Hope Buzz Wasn't One of the Coaches  (Read 17769 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Sure Hope Buzz Wasn't One of the Coaches
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 09:31:06 AM »
Well, at least there is no mention of MU or Buzz in that article. 

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 10:02:52 AM »
Here is Andy Katz's piece, saying the sports intros began with Willis Wilson, BB coach at Rice.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/6784945/source-ncaa-plans-no-probe-coaches-losing-cash-david-salinas-scam
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 12:06:32 PM »

$70 million isnt in Bernie's neighborhood, but its a bad subdivision. I'm currently torn, though whether I'll feel bad for the victims...

If P.T. Barnum were alive today, he'd be wealthier than Bill Gates.

Cripes... how many Ponzi schemes have been busted in the last five years, yet people are still showing up with open wallets and closed eyes.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 03:30:10 PM »
Ponzi schemes always come down to people who you trust.  Seriously, the worst thing you can do is invest money with friends if you become wealthy. 

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2011, 09:56:10 PM »
The issue here is whether coaches were investing to buy access into recruits from this coach.  That is what Tom Penders alleges and that is why the NCAA is now investigating.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 01:27:13 AM »
The issue here is whether coaches were investing to buy access into recruits from this coach.  That is what Tom Penders alleges and that is why the NCAA is now investigating.
His family and friends likely think his death is more  the issue...but yes.... HERE, this will be an issue, ...as...  9 of the 11 investing coaches named, thusfar, got  committed recruits from the AAU program, and ...yes... the NCAA is already doing some checking(see Mark Berman link below).

Buzz is not (yet) named, and MU hasnt ever had any players from there, but,...

as JayBee notes..."Couple of guys we've been involved with... 2012 Shaquille Cleare of the Houston Defenders 17U team.. and 2014 Justise Winslow (son of Ricky) of the 2014 Houston Select team that has been playing up in 16U."

It may be wise to reduce that involvement, lol....and Buzz..you  should quietly walk away from any loss...your new contract will restore your wealth, soon enough.

Here is a link to Mark Berman's report. Historically, he has the best access, in Houston, to sources, and he will break the best sports stories, here...he is worth tracking, on this topic, as he already has on record info no else has published.Read:

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/local/110719-ncaa-looking-into-david-salinas'-connections-in-college-basketball
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 01:34:15 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2011, 02:11:48 AM »
as JayBee notes..."Couple of guys we've been involved with... 2012 Shaquille Cleare of the Houston Defenders 17U team.. and 2014 Justise Winslow (son of Ricky) of the 2014 Houston Select team that has been playing up in 16U."

It may be wise to reduce that involvement, lol....

Let's not get too carried away!  That 17U team is ridiculous... in addition to Shaquille, Andrew & Aaron Harrison, 2013 twins are 6'4" studs.. forward Derrick Griffin is athletic as can be.. another 2013 that fills up the highlight films... 2012 Christian Sanders is a traditional SG with a high IQ and capability to fill it up from deep. 

..also playing for 2014 team is Big Daddy D's grandson, Khadeem Lattin... 6'9" and thin, but will get a bit bigger.. already an eraser and rebounder that can run the floor well.. along with Winslow, top notch looking 2014 kids.

Some of these kids will surely have interest in Marquette because of the great school it is and the wonderful program we have.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2011, 05:14:22 AM »
And because of the marvelous alums we all are.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2011, 06:27:20 AM »
Actually, Buzz to me is almost exactly the type of guy who would lose out here.  Very loyal...recently with $$$ after never having much before...

However, knowing Buzz he is much more concerned over the loss of a friend than the loss of a few $$$.
let's face it, yes buzz is very loyal, HOWEVER, once the tears dry up, the ole greiving process moves on-anger, ...  hopefully this was coming to light as buzz was just beginning to realize his money and little if any had been sent salinas way,...yet.  plus, buzz did have a good b.s. detector

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2011, 09:21:05 AM »
plus, buzz did have a good b.s. detector

did? what happened to it  ? :o

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2011, 10:13:47 AM »
did? what happened to it  ? :o

whoops-sorry, does have a good b.s. detector plus a good "money man"  right boom?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2011, 10:41:02 PM »
Lawyers meeting with affected coaches in Las Vegas.  Buzz was in Vegas this weekend.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/6798601/lawyers-educate-coaches-affected-david-salinas-alleged-bond-scam

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2011, 02:44:56 AM »
Lawyers meeting with affected coaches in Las Vegas.  Buzz was in Vegas this weekend.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/6798601/lawyers-educate-coaches-affected-david-salinas-alleged-bond-scam

Every D1 coach in the country was in Vegas this weekend.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2011, 04:23:46 PM »
Buzz wasn't at his camp today either.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2011, 05:08:55 PM »
There are two VERY good reasons that Buzz isn't at the camp.

There are still two big time AAU tourneys going on; one in Vegas and one in Orlando. Every big time coach is at one or the other and their assistants are wherever they aren't.

Chill guys....he's just out doing what he's paid to do.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2011, 06:49:57 PM »
Buzz wasn't at his camp today either.

Bet Riley showed up, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2011, 09:56:18 PM »

Bet Riley showed up, aina?

MVP, MVP, MVP.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2011, 10:40:37 PM »

I bet these coaches AND lawyers get to write off the Vegas trip.
SS Marquette

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2011, 08:15:11 AM »
I bet these coaches AND lawyers get to write off the Vegas trip.

The coaches are there for recruiting. So their athletic departments are paying the bills. It would be a business expense for the lawyers.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2011, 05:23:05 PM »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2011, 11:16:48 PM »
Today, in Houston fed ct., the SEC filed its lawsuit against Salinas' estate, Brian Bjork, and Bjork's investment co.

http://select-asset.com/management-team

...there may be some assets there for recovery.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/6824980/securities-exchange-commission-lawsuit-targets-money-manager-linked-coaches

The SEC appears to be going for a receivership of all the assets..(I represented an SEC receivership, years ago)...they are like a Chapter 7...but lacking in many recovery powers...so, they're usually not very successful for the victims... the coaches involved should anticipate a  small percentage recovery.

If Bjork doesnt off himself...he'll be wiped out financially, licenses lost, and barred from the business by a consent order, but...surprisingly, though, if he cooperates, with SEC...he may well avoid prison.

In some out of the box thinking -- could a coach release and compromise his lost investment claim, if the SEC arranges for a Houston Select recruit to come to his school? Heck, the only remainig assets of value...are the players....so, this coach says..."I'll drop my 7 figure claim, for a recruit, of my choosing--deal?...  lol 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2015, 06:23:40 PM »
Let's not get too carried away!  That 17U team is ridiculous... in addition to Shaquille, Andrew & Aaron Harrison, 2013 twins are 6'4" studs.. forward Derrick Griffin is athletic as can be.. another 2013 that fills up the highlight films... 2012 Christian Sanders is a traditional SG with a high IQ and capability to fill it up from deep. 

..also playing for 2014 team is Big Daddy D's grandson, Khadeem Lattin... 6'9" and thin, but will get a bit bigger.. already an eraser and rebounder that can run the floor well.. along with Winslow, top notch looking 2014 kids.

Flashback.. to 4.5 years ago.. time flies.

Shaq Cleare now at Texas after not getting a ton of run at Maryland...
The Harrison twins people know about...
Christian Sanders went to Stanford.. now a senior, not a great career...
Derrick Griffin... had academic issues.. wound up at Texas Southern playing football and bball (36 catches, 709 & 11 TD's as a redshirt freshman WR in football.. has been with the bball team for 4 games, has been very good - 114 Ortg, 22.4 usage, 60.4% eFG, 17% OR, 19% DR, sub-10% TO rate, 5.4 FD/40,
Justise Winslow people know about...
Khadeem Lattin - at Oklahoma.. 126 ORtg (only 14% usage), 10% OR, 20% DR, 7.4% to rate, 59.6% eFG
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2015, 08:04:31 PM »

BTW, to this point no sign of Buzz or MU involvement or loss....whew.

Danny Nee played for Al

Death on call