Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cottingham out as AD?  (Read 31431 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: Cottingham out as AD?
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2011, 04:55:16 PM »
While I hate the fact that our program is anything but stable, this news doesn't bother me. Never liked the Cottingham appointment. There was no process and he was never the right choice for long term success. Always struck me as a dopey-looking, book-smart, middle of the country, better as a lawyer in the back shadows type of guy. Considering how MU handles their business it's clear that Broeker is odds on for the job.

More intriguing aspect is that Buzz just went from holding MU's ankles in May to holding MU's balls today. Be interesting to watch how he parlays his leverage.

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2011, 05:00:37 PM »
79Warrior
All American

« Reply #24 on: Today at 02:54:11 PM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: BigDaddy84 on Today at 02:06:53 PM
This is why Buzz was limited with his words last night. Timing was a bummer.

I highly doubt that is why Buzz did what he did. I think you are reading way more into whatever Buzz did.

Warrior you are entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts...this is a fact.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2011, 05:02:30 PM »

More intriguing aspect is that Buzz just went from holding MU's ankles in May to holding MU's balls today. Be interesting to watch how he parlays his leverage.

I wouldn't feel like I had power if the two of the three people that signed my last contract are leaving the university.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2011, 05:23:35 PM »

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2011, 05:32:26 PM »

Yes, there are some coaches that are 'above' their AD. Buzz is not one of them. Not even close, in fact. Add 20 more years and a NC and then I'd agree with you.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2011, 05:49:34 PM »
I wouldn't feel like I had power if the two of the three people that signed my last contract are leaving the university.

Flip it around: two of the three people that he is indebted to forever are gone. There is no sentiment left in his position. When people were worried he'd leave in April they placed faith in him repaying Cottingham for taking a chance on him. That's gone. And its gone all the way to the top. Now, it's strictly dollars and Pilarz knows it which means Broeker is inside horse to replace that bond.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2011, 05:51:26 PM »
Wow. No transition ("I will stay on until a replacement is found"), no two week notice, his name is already off the masthead, not even a thank you for your service. Just a reference to the incidents in his resignation letter to Wild. I thought Steve did an excellent job on the business side and he hired great recruiters, but he was pretty obviously run off and it was a surprise as he is listed in the just released 2011-12 Visitor's Guide.  

So, Broeker is the guy for the entire year. These jobs change in the summer and MU is not beginning the search until the fall.  Obviously he was not tainted in this or Cords or someone else would be put over the department during the transition. Up to the new President, but you would have to think it is his job to lose unless this spreads more than it has.  

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2011, 06:05:54 PM »
Wow. No transition ("I will stay on until a replacement is found"), no two week notice, his name is already off the masthead, not even a thank you for your service. Just a reference to the incidents in his resignation letter to Wild. I thought Steve did an excellent job on the business side and he hired great recruiters, but he was pretty obviously run off and it was a surprise as he is listed in the just released 2011-12 Visitor's Guide.  

So, Broeker is the guy for the entire year. These jobs change in the summer and MU is not beginning the search until the fall.  Obviously he was not tainted in this or Cords or someone else would be put over the department during the transition. Up to the new President, but you would have to think it is his job to lose unless this spreads more than it has.  

Good analysis - pretty sad that a guy who had done a good job, can be toppled from his position due to a he said/she said case, a negative article in the Chicago Tribune, and some overly self-righteous alums/possible donors who were ashamed by MU following the same policy its followed while under Bill Cords watch/Wild's watch and even DiUlio's watch - with regard to Public Safety/MPD protocols.

And I actually agree with Avalanche's statement (though I think forever indebted is a little over the top)
Flip it around: two of the three people that he is indebted to forever are gone. There is no sentiment left in his position. When people were worried he'd leave in April they placed faith in him repaying Cottingham for taking a chance on him. That's gone. And its gone all the way to the top. Now, it's strictly dollars and Pilarz knows it which means Broeker is inside horse to replace that bond.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2011, 06:06:44 PM »
Not that I'm happy to see him go, but I think this is appropriate.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/20268/the-office-goodbye-toby

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2011, 06:27:11 PM »

Fair point, but I would argue that the value of the contract plus the loyalty meant more than loyalty alone.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2011, 06:41:43 PM »
1.  Cottingham didn't really want the job.   He was talked into taking it by Fr. Wild.   Fr. Wild is leaving.   Perhaps Cottingham never grew to love the job.
2.   He is the fall guy for the incidents of the past 10 months.

I believe that both factor in here.      Good luck and thank you for your work for MU.    IMO, unless Buzz and the new AD simply do not get along, this has no affect on the length of Buzz's tenure.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2011, 06:43:20 PM »
Broeker is OK .. but MU needs an infusion of new blood.  Do a real, national search, get someone with a new, different perspective.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2011, 06:54:08 PM »
Broeker is OK .. but MU needs an infusion of new blood.  Do a real, national search, get someone with a new, different perspective.

Why? If MU's athletics were struggling, or even stagnant, I'd agree.
 But things by and large are going well. Why mess with (relative) success?

2768vansicm

• Walk-On
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2011, 06:57:05 PM »
Thank you Steve Cottingham.  Any MU student athlete there during his tenure knows how much he did for them and the growth of MU sports.  He will be sorely missed.  During my time there he showed increased support to myself and my team.  He traveled to events and our Big East Conference Championships, something that didn't happen prior to his arrival.  He made some fantastic hires and brought a new excitement to the athletic department.  Oh, and Mike Broeker spent my entire freshman year mis-spelling my name.  Hope they open up the search to find someone as good as Steve.

-Mike Van Sickle

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2011, 07:19:07 PM »
Thank you Steve Cottingham.  Any MU student athlete there during his tenure knows how much he did for them and the growth of MU sports.  He will be sorely missed.  During my time there he showed increased support to myself and my team.  He traveled to events and our Big East Conference Championships, something that didn't happen prior to his arrival.  He made some fantastic hires and brought a new excitement to the athletic department.  Oh, and Mike Broeker spent my entire freshman year mis-spelling my name.  Hope they open up the search to find someone as good as Steve.

-Mike Van Sickle
  +1

I'd say thank you to Steve for having the foresight and balls to hire Buzz Williams - as we know many were skeptical - and it couldn't have been anymore of a home run hire 3 years into Buzz's tenure at MU.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2011, 07:42:50 PM »
79Warrior
All American

« Reply #24 on: Today at 02:54:11 PM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: BigDaddy84 on Today at 02:06:53 PM
This is why Buzz was limited with his words last night. Timing was a bummer.

I highly doubt that is why Buzz did what he did. I think you are reading way more into whatever Buzz did.

Warrior you are entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts...this is a fact.

I never said it was a fact. apparently, only you know it is a fact. good for you.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2011, 07:57:09 PM »
Broeker is OK .. but MU needs an infusion of new blood.  Do a real, national search, get someone with a new, different perspective.

I don't think things are that bad, but do a national search anyway.  Can't do any harm.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2011, 08:14:44 PM »
  +1

I'd say thank you to Steve for having the foresight and balls to hire Buzz Williams - as we know many were skeptical - and it couldn't have been anymore of a home run hire 3 years into Buzz's tenure at MU.

I think you're giving Steve a little too much credit in the hiring process.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

DiaperDandy

• Starter
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2011, 08:33:24 PM »
If there is any merit to the Chicago Tribune article, then Quade should be the person getting forced out...not Steve Cot.  According to the article, she was the person who advised the victim from going to MPD.  Again, this is based on the fact that the article was accurate.

All I know is that this whole incident is very unfortunate.  With the circumstances of this crime being a he said/she said situation, we will never know what truly happened. This troubles me because if Steve was forced out, and a crime never even happened, then that is tragic.  It also troubles me to know that a crime may have been committed and those involved are still allowed to play even though they may be guilty.  This is a bad situation that obviously was handled very poorly and as a result, someone had to face the consequences.  What really hurts the program now is that with Steve resigning, the whole story has been brought to a national level (see first headline under ncaa basketball on ESPN).  Hopefully this does not send our program or university in the wrong direction.

Can we ever have a prolonged period of time when there is peace and relaxation at MU?  Seems like there is always some rumor/scandal these days :(

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2011, 08:36:16 PM »
I think you're giving Steve a little too much credit in the hiring process.

I like Steve, but very much agree with this. 
Ludum habemus.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2011, 08:37:54 PM »
Here's wishing Steve and his family the best.  He's a very good man dedicated to the success of MU athletics.  

reinko

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2011, 08:43:11 PM »

-Mike Van Sickle

Does misspelling usually have a hyphen?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2011, 08:49:43 PM »

I don't think things are that bad, but do a national search anyway.  Can't do any harm.

To Sultan, Pakuni .. I didn't say things are bad at all .. I'd say the opposite: things are running smoothly at a high level.    That doesn't preclude a new guy at the top, providing fresh perspective with new ideas to push us further up.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2011, 09:16:26 PM »
Thank you Steve Cottingham.  Any MU student athlete there during his tenure knows how much he did for them and the growth of MU sports.  He will be sorely missed.  During my time there he showed increased support to myself and my team.  He traveled to events and our Big East Conference Championships, something that didn't happen prior to his arrival.  He made some fantastic hires and brought a new excitement to the athletic department.  Oh, and Mike Broeker spent my entire freshman year mis-spelling my name.  Hope they open up the search to find someone as good as Steve.

-Mike Van Sickle

You mean Grogan didn't travel to all meets?

Anyway, tell us what you're up to now?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:23:20 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2011, 09:24:28 PM »
To Sultan, Pakuni .. I didn't say things are bad at all .. I'd say the opposite: things are running smoothly at a high level.    That doesn't preclude a new guy at the top, providing fresh perspective with new ideas to push us further up.

You said "needs an infusion of new blood."  That implies things are stale.  Sometimes an outside perspective is exactly the wrong thing.  If MU is going along with a mission and a vision for where it wants its athletic department to go, brining in someone else might unnecessarily derail something that is going well.

But that still doesn't mean a national search isn't appropriate.

feedback