[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ‘You really went to Marquette?’  (Read 13997 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: ‘You really went to Marquette?’
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2011, 11:13:17 AM »
I haven't posted on this site in a while, so I don't know what you mean by "recent posts". Clever though...  ::)

Recent posts, last posts, tomato, tomahto.  Geez... if you weren't such a troll, you would have known what Hards meant.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2011, 11:35:36 AM »
By the way, Thanks for serving, Bro. It's an honor to know another MU grad with blisters on his ass and sand in his boots. Keep the Faith and Aim High.

Col Crash, USAF
Bronze Star, Air Medal with Combat V, OIF, OEF, Desert Storm

Same to you.  I got out of the Army as a CPT about 5 years ago.

King of Battle

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2011, 11:58:33 AM »
This is a really cool topic.

My wife goes crazy when I see a car with a Marquette window sticker or license plate frame and then follow that car for several blocks waving and honking. Or, I'll chase somebody down a shopping center mall, get into a five-minute conversation, and miss the start of the movie.

It's a relief to visit Milwaukee. I feel liberated from the need to do that.
I've done this.  It doesn't go over well with my wife either.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2011, 12:06:49 PM »
Slightly different, when on vacation I enjoy walking into the local franchised hat store and ask if they have any Marquette hats.  They never do, but I enjoy walking away with them thinking they lost a sale.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2011, 12:18:36 PM »
As a side note, I'm a NorCal dude and whenever I see a Wisconsin plate, I speed up, and slow down in front of them so they can recognize the Marquette Alumni license plate frame on my car.

I do that just hoping they'd reciprocate. So far, of the four people I 've done it to, no one has honked back in recognition - of the plate frame, not the slowing down in front of them.
I've done this too.  My assumption (from reading this board) is that most of these people live far outside of Milwaukee and tilt their allegiance towards the University of Wisconsin and have no opinion.  I figure some day I'll get a positive reaction.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2011, 09:35:45 PM »
Has anyone had their blue and gold, or MU emblazoned confused with other schools?
 I have had a more than a few people guess Michigan,two -Mizzou, and one Minnesota.
Unless is a hook'em horns...Houstonians are easily stumped.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2011, 09:38:32 PM »
Has anyone had their blue and gold, or MU emblazoned confused with other schools?
 I have had a more than a few people guess Michigan,two -Mizzou, and one Minnesota.
Unless is a hook'em horns...Houstonians are easily stumped.

Yes, Michigan.  It was at Disney World.  Seeing how it is Marquette University and The University of Michigan, plus the Michigan M has been around for decades, I really do not understand the confussion.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2011, 10:30:48 PM »
Slightly different, when on vacation I enjoy walking into the local franchised hat store and ask if they have any Marquette hats.  They never do, but I enjoy walking away with them thinking they lost a sale.

+1

tower912

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2011, 07:06:47 AM »

Me, too.   Must be a Hackett thing.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2011, 09:40:39 AM »

Guilty as well, but I don't wait for vacation, I do that nearly every time I walk into a store that carries any college gear, especially in the DPRM.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2011, 10:13:08 AM »
especially in the DPRM.

Democratic People's Republic of Mexico?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2011, 11:33:57 AM »
Not quite a Marquette story, but last year in Prague, while crossing the historic Charles Bridge, I saw an "I closed Wolski's"  bumper sticker on some scaffolding used in some repair work.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2011, 12:50:53 PM »
Democratic People's Republic of Mexico?

Don't know what the "D" stands for.  I believe you have the P and R correct.  I believe the M is for Madison, though.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2011, 01:12:06 PM »
Don't know what the "D" stands for.  I believe you have the P and R correct.  I believe the M is for Madison, though.

Ahh, thanks for that :)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2011, 01:34:45 PM »

D stands for Democratic.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2011, 01:39:02 PM »

Just left Golf Shack (in southeast WI). Head covers and towels for Bucky, Michigan, and Notre Dame. You bet I let them know they lost a sale!

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2011, 03:01:22 PM »
I was on the Aran Islands in Ireland wearing a Marquette shirt and a lady came up to me asking if I went there.  Turned out it was Shirley Abrahamson, Chief Justice of the WI Supreme Court.  I had just graduated law school and passed the bar exam, and was in Madison a month later getting sworn in so I struck up a conversation with her again, and she calls over all the other justices to tell them the story.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Gave a Marquette T-shirt to a co-worker as a gift
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2011, 06:09:27 AM »
She always teases that I “always wear something Marquette” when I am not at work -- and sometimes when I am. Thus, I thought she should have a Marquette T-shirt of her own.

She is a New York University graduate who has been known to sport “NYU” attire from time to time, usually when running or at the gym.

She said she had “way too many people” asking her about her “Marquette affiliation” when she was working out and then running last weekend while wearing her cool, plain gray Marquette T-shirt.

feedback