'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting Classes  (Read 4245 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Recruiting Classes
« on: April 29, 2011, 02:01:02 PM »
So far, what I have seen published are three sources sites:
Scout: 8 BEast teams in top 25; MU not in; none of our guys in top 100
Rivals: 6 BEast teams in top 30; MU not in; Juan Anderson ranked 61
ESPN: 7 BEast teams in top 25; MU not in; none of our guys in top 100.

Anybody seen any other rankings?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TedBaxter

• All American
Re: Recruiting Classes
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 02:25:39 PM »
You won't see a transfer like Jamil Wilson included and Todd Mayo won't appear since he's a 5th year player.

My belief is that if all 4 players finish out their careers at MU, you will see at least 3 starters out of the group at some point in their careers and possibly all four.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 02:28:56 PM »
its not even worth responding because all you do is have to look about 10 threads down to see scout had him at 90 on there final.

some other sites had him at 47 and 64.

I will be putting Small Willie on ignore after this post.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 03:29:17 PM »
Anybody seen any other rankings?

Yep, the ones that come out at the end of the season.

I'll give you a hint, UCONN was #1.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 03:33:45 PM »
I've seen a number of rankings that have us ranked pre-season top 25 for next year after our sweet 16 finish this year.   Do those count?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 03:44:45 PM »
So?

Guess what, willie, we're not Kentucky, or Duke, or UNC, or one of the other rare schools that gets a top-25 class every year. Buzz has 2 of his first 3 classes ranked. This year he has a consensus 4-star as his top recruit and two 3-star guards that are well-regarded but not as much so as Caddy or Blue (one of which, Mayo, isn't factored into these class ratings because he's a prep kid), as well as an open schollie. So if that scholarship goes vacant, our class is evaluated as only Anderson and Wilson. Do you realize how hard it is to have a ranked class with only 2 recruits? Unless both are top-40, it's almost impossible.

In addition, Buzz's last two classes were based on 6 players each. 2009 had Caddy, Maymon, Williams (all top 100), Buycks, DJO (JUCO AA's), and Mbao. 2010 had Blue, Jones (top 100), Crowder (JUCO POY), Smith, Gardner (3-stars), and Wilson (transfer).

Is this year's quality that much different? 33% of the class is 4-stars, about in line with 09 and 10. Add in a high 3-star in Wilson, we had a few of those in 09 and 10. If Mayo counted, there's another high 3-star. Hell, add a JUCO AA with the last schollie and it's a near-identical class, just with fewer recruits because Buzz has balanced the classes.

If we have continued success over the next 5-6 years, maybe we'll be able to recruit like Kansas, UCLA, or Texas. But until then, I think our coach has done pretty darn well for himself.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 03:56:31 PM »
its not even worth responding because all you do is have to look about 10 threads down to see scout had him at 90 on there final.

some other sites had him at 47 and 64.

I will be putting Small Willie on ignore after this post.
Just reporting the facts truckster. Same to you.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 03:59:59 PM »
So?

Guess what, willie, we're not Kentucky, or Duke, or UNC, or one of the other rare schools that gets a top-25 class every year. Buzz has 2 of his first 3 classes ranked. This year he has a consensus 4-star as his top recruit and two 3-star guards that are well-regarded but not as much so as Caddy or Blue (one of which, Mayo, isn't factored into these class ratings because he's a prep kid), as well as an open schollie. So if that scholarship goes vacant, our class is evaluated as only Anderson and Wilson. Do you realize how hard it is to have a ranked class with only 2 recruits? Unless both are top-40, it's almost impossible.

come on brew, logic and a thorough thought process have no place in a discussion like this.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 05:05:41 PM »
Todd Mayo won't appear since he's a 5th year player.

Scout and Rivals both do include 5th year players.

Using HoopScoop's list of top 5th year players:
http://www.hoopscooponline.com/members/classof2011-5thyearplayers.asp

Rivals 150 includes #1 5th year DeAndre Daniels at #10, #3 Chris Jones at #47, #6 Shaquile Thomas at #81, and #9 Durand Johnson at #120.

Scout has Daniels at #29, Jones at #72, Thomas at #78, Johnson at #88.  

There might be a few more 5th year players in either list--I didn't look past HoopScoop's top 10.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 05:08:14 PM »
Just reporting the facts truckster. Same to you.

Actually, no you weren't, because you missed that Anderson is ranked in the top 100 on both ESPN and Scout.

Whoops, seems like Khem Birch and Alex Murphy reclassifying knocked him out of the ESPN list.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 05:23:53 PM by Cooby Snacks »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 05:49:28 PM »

Rivals 150 includes #1 5th year DeAndre Daniels at #10, #3 Chris Jones at #47, #6 Shaquile Thomas at #81, and #9 Durand Johnson at #120.

There might be a few more 5th year players in either list--I didn't look past HoopScoop's top 10.

What he said, Brew City.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 06:10:48 PM »

Well, I stand corrected. 

That said, I think they missed out on Mayo as he should be in the top 75 then.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 07:49:07 PM »
What he said, Brew City.

Yes, because that slightly diminishes what, 2 sentences of my post?

Even if you account for Mayo, that's a three person class whereas our past two classes had 6 recruits each. It's still incredibly hard to have a ranked class with only 2-3 recruits. That's why schools like Kentucky, Duke, UNC, and Kansas are the only ones up there year after year. Other schools, like Missouri, Arkansas, Washington, Villanova, Purdue, and Marquette are only ranked when they can bring in big enough classes to compete with what a UK only needs 3-4 recruits to do.

You try to brand Buzz a failure because of a 9-9 Big East record (despite a Sweet 16) and a first non-top-25 class (despite 2 top-25 classes and being ranked in almost every preseason poll so far) when clearly the only failure here is your thread.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 03:37:29 PM »
Even if you account for Mayo, that's a three person class whereas our past two classes had 6 recruits each. It's still incredibly hard to have a ranked class with only 2-3 recruits. That's why schools like Kentucky, Duke, UNC, and Kansas are the only ones up there year after year. Other schools, like Missouri, Arkansas, Washington, Villanova, Purdue, and Marquette are only ranked when they can bring in big enough classes to compete with what a UK only needs 3-4 recruits to do.

I was just curious as to how many 2 and 3 player classes were listed in the top 25.

Scout has the following 2-3-player classes in their top 25:
#9 Syracuse
#14 Baylor
#15 Oklahoma State
#17 Indiana
#24 Vanderbilt

Rivals has eight 2-3 recruit classes in their top 30:

#14 Baylor
#15 Oklahoma State
#16 Syracuse
#24 Florida
#25 Georgia
#26 Indiana
#29 Vanderbilt
#30 Kansas

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 07:28:30 PM »
I was just curious as to how many 2 and 3 player classes were listed in the top 25.

I'm not saying they don't exist, but I stand by it being incredibly hard. On the Scout list, four of the five teams have a top-25 recruit. The one that doesn't is Vandy, though they do have two top-100 players. What that says is you either need a top-25 stud or multiple top-100s to get on their list. How many teams in the nation with three-man recruiting classes can claim either of those qualities? My guess is that it's not many beyond those five.

On the Rivals list, it's virtually the same. Five of the schools have multiple top-100 players, and the three that don't all have a top-15 player. Again, that's not what I'd call common.

We have a four-star and two three-stars. My guess is our rank would probably be in the 35-40 range. Not bad considering it's Buzz's first class outside the top-25. Maybe someday Buzz will get a top-25 class year-in and year-out. He's not there yet. Is that really such a bad thing? It takes time to become elite. If it was easy, everyone would do it and no one would care about the teams that were there. We have to earn that status. Personally, I'd rather have it that way.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 08:50:46 PM »
Says the boy who spent the year bashing Vander (our highest rated recruit in years) and praising Gardner (our lowest rated recruit).  Do you ever get sick of contradicting yourself, or do you just enjoy being a jag?  Get a clue, Willie.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 09:09:06 PM »
Buzz adds TJ Taylor, and I now think we are right there with the top 25 schools. Taylor was a top 100 by ESPN, and just a hair outside according to Scout and Rivals. He won't join until 2012, but I would say this is probably the next best thing to getting Aaric Murray.