[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:16:57 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Your all time favorite MU player and why? And your Top 10...  (Read 20415 times)

The Lens

• All American
Your all time favorite MU player and why? And your Top 10...
« on: March 21, 2007, 07:56:59 PM »
As much as I'd like to keep talking about who TC pays TC's salary...how about a change of pace.

Who is your favorite MU player and why?

Mine would be (shocker) Damon Key.  I was a freshman at MUHS when DK was a senior.  I can't still remember walking the halls and seeing him and Jason Allen (San Jose St) strolling along.  From my freshman perspective he looked to me like Oden does to the world now.  I was able to watch him march all the way to the state final only to be upset by DePere Abbott-Pennings.  From there he went to my favorite college team and helped rebuild a once proud program.  Mac & Robb had a ton of hype but DK was the most effective his whole 4 years.  He was a big man but his footwork was outstanding, he always knew where he was around the hoop.  And that 15fter...great stuff.  One of my favorite stat lines was from 1994 when MU played Arizona (KO vs Lute) and in a losing effort DK went off for 36 including 4 of 6 from 3pt range.  Others have garnered more fame during and after their MU careers but being able to watch Damon's HS career and then be a freshman at MU when we got to the Sweet 16 makes him #1 on my list.

My next 9:

2. Crawford (Woody was just so solid his Jr & Sr year, underrated & became a decent scorer in the NBA pre injury)
3. Lovette (Great feet, his FTs vs Cinci are still amazing, we could use a Lovette)
4. Diener (Toughest, ball-iest player ever)
5. Wardle (One of my biggest disappointments is not seeing him in a NCAA game)
6. Wade
7. Joe Chapman (Called him Joey Hustle, he showed why seniors are so valuable)
8. The Garbage Man John Cliff (more garbage time points than anyone in MU's history...his 2nd half vs Memphis will live in infamy)
9. Pieper (Went from all O in HS, to a tough Defender in college)
10. Trevor Powell (I can still remember where I was when he commited)

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Your all time favorite MU player and why? And your Top 10...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 07:59:14 PM »
I limited mine to the players I actually saw in an MU uniform ...

1. Wade
2. Tony Smith
3. Damon Key
4. Tony Miller
5. Travis Diener
6. McIlvaine
7. Novak
8. Hutch
9. Wardle
10. James

« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 09:40:18 AM by NYWarrior »

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 08:10:28 PM »
1. Nethen 2. Wade 3. Lee 4. Henry 5. Hutchins 6. McIlvane 7. Wardle 8. Sims 9. Candelino 10. Streeter

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 08:35:41 PM »
DePere Abbott-Pennings. 

My alma-mater. In its current encarnation, anyway.

Going with guys I've seen in person...
1. Todd Townsend
2. Joe Chapman
3. Rob Jackson
4. Dwyane Wade
5. Steve Novak
6. Chris Grimm
7. David Cubillan
8. Travis Diener
9. Dan Fitzgerald
10. Jerel McNeal
10a. Wesley Matthews
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 08:38:58 PM by IAmMarquette »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 08:46:50 PM »
"I limited mine to the players I actually saw in an MU uniform ..."

1.  Butch Lee  (silky smooth, never, ever rattled--almost beat team USA by himself in the Olympics--somehow Puerto Rico was its own country for the Olympics)
2.  Wade
3.  Tony Smith
4.  Dean Memminger (my older brothers were in college and took me to a few games)
5.  Steve Novak
6.  Doc Rivers
7.  Pieper  (C-USA tourney--I think 1996--we lose in the finals to Cincy in OT--get a 4 seed in the dance)
8.  Hutchins  (he came of age in the NIT 1995)
9.  Diener
10.  Jim Chones (the whole go pro or stay in college debate way back in the day)
Ludum habemus.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 08:58:02 PM »
dont forget Pieper and Crew winning the c-usa the next year in St. Louis.  Win a title on one side of the river celebrate it on the other! 

4everwarriors

• All American
From An Old Fart
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 09:08:39 PM »
1. Dean "The Dream" Meminger--Our dream, their nightmare.The game was always safe in his hands. Curry Kirkpatrick of SI said he played with a Cheshire cat smile and he was right. I cried on his Senior Night.

2. Jim Chones--Big man extraordinaire. Man, Tommy should ask him if he still has eligibility left?

3. Alfred "Butch" Lee--Had a body like a fireplug, but there was nobody stronger with the ball than this DeWitt Clinton alum.

4. Maurice Lucas--Meanest SOB on the court and had the game to go along with it. Was on my bowling team in Individual and Dual Sports class. Held some pretty boy by his ankles out of an 8th floor McCormick window.

5. Maurice "Bo" Ellis--The hightest BB I.Q. I've ever seen on the court.

6. George "Brute Force" Thompson--This is the man who put Marquette on the basketball map. The current powers that be should always respect that.

7. Lloyd Walton--Lucky Lloyd would beat you with the jumper, the drive, or the dish and was quick as hell.

8. George "Sugar" Frazier--Always felt bad for Sugar having to play 6th man. He told Al he was as good as Allie, but Al said he had to be better than his son to play in front of him.

9. Tony Smith--Had the misfortune of playing on some crappy teams. Played golf with Tony once and he could hit the ball a mile, just didn't know what direction it would fly.

10. Glenn "Doc" Rivers--First saw him at Rick Majerus' camp while Doc was at Proviso East. Knew then he was going to be someone special.

11. William "Earl" Tatum--The Black Jerry West. Knew the girl that typed Earl's papers and he would get pissed off if she changed grammar, punctuation, etc.

12. D Wade--Simply the best and getting better. Represents MU as its finest. There are some who should kiss his toes each night before bed for what they have.

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 09:09:47 PM »
Those I've seen in person... (I'm only 19, so there's not a ton to pick from)

1. Wade--for 2 reasons: 1. The regional weekend in MPLS was my coolest sports moment ever. 2. Thanks to him, I could talk to friends about MU hoops, and they'd know something about it.

2 Cordell Henry-- My first favorite player once I really knew what was going on.

3. Robert Jackson-- I watched him play to improve my own post game.

4. **Empty** --I was a big Dameon Mason fan. I was convinced he was going to pull us out of that 2-year "slump" following the Final Four year. (I'm no longer quite as convinced.)

5/6. Amal McCaskill/Chris Crawford-- My introduction to Warrior basketball.

7. Steve Novak-- For his work in the 2003 tournament, for the way he stepped it up his senior year, for MU 94-UCONN 79, and for that shot against Notre Dame.

8. Jerel McNeal-- I love defense.

9. Travis Diener-- So tough.

10. Dominic James-- When he's on...WOW

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 01:57:24 AM »
Guys I saw and I'll limit it to 6 players (in no particular order):

1) Wade - Nuff said. Nobody I saw don an MU uni could compare in all around game.

2) Diener - Heart and soul of the team. Gritty and undersized, he always played the game within his abilities.

3) Aaron Hutchins - I still shake my head when I remember hearing the news that he was involved in a car accident. I sometimes think of what might have been. A small guy (like Acker) but he was an instant sparkplug.

4) Tony Miller - Not a great shooter (but when he hit a three it was HUGE!), but he was a court leader. I can still picture his baseline to baseline drive against Duke.

5) Jimmy Mac - I thought about Faisal Abraham and his underrated rebounding and on the block D, but this guy was truly the centerpiece of the early/mid 90s MU teams. His blocks ALWAYS made me smile.

6) Jared Lovette - He was kinda freak show. Didn't LOOK like a basketball player, but he sure as hell put up the numbers. I was expecting big things from him the season he had the depression or breakdown. I think he was one player I could truly say affected MU's game because of his absence. We just lacked the energy and experience down low when he didn't return.
SS Marquette

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 08:24:49 AM »
1. Tony Smith
2. Novak (the most exciting non dunker I've ever seen)
3. Wade
4. Butch Lee ("The Puerto Rican Nightmare," according to Al)
5. Diener
6. Bo Ellis
7. Aaron Hutchins
8. Trevor Powell
9. Cordell Henry
10. Roney Eford

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 08:27:09 AM »
ill keep the list to the players i have seen on the court as well.

1. Travis Diener - great guy and tough as nails on the court
2. Robert Jackson - the real reason for the Final Four run, everyone overlooks his double double against Kentucky and his post defense.
3. Dwyane Wade - who doesn't love this guy
4. Joe Chapman - no one takes more charges and always clutch
5. Cordell Henry - best handles on the ball that i have seen in a long time
6. Jerel McNeal - plays with heart, not always with head, but with tons of heart
7. Dan Fitzgerald - love how versatile he is and he hustles his but off.  
8. Steve Novak - still remember the OT against Mizzou where he was perfect from the floor and the line.  Money
9. Terry Sanders - played great post D and made the most of his minutes
10. Todd Townsend - his big plays got the BC rockin - his senior year showed a lot about him and his determination
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 08:30:50 AM »
Also limit it to guys I saw a bit.

1.  Damon Key (Most underrated guy we've had since I went to MU.  Much better than McIlvaine in college)
2.  Tony Miller (Ultimate gamer.  Just wanted to win.)
3.  Michael Wilson (Flat jump shot, great athlete, great competitor)
4.  Dwyane Wade (Ungodly talented)
5.  Steve Novak (Watching him release a 3 and just KNOWING it was going in was lots of fun)
6.  Aaron Hutchins (Lots of fun to wach)
7.  Anthony Peiper (Great scorer, fun to watch)
8.  Terry Reason (Best hair ever)
9.  Sam Worthen (Think skinny, 6-5 Dominic James)
10. Don Smolinski (Hank Raymonds' victory cigar when I was at MU.  If Smo was in the game, the game was already won)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 12:11:50 PM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Cheese_Ed

• Walk-On
  • Sniff my dairy air.
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 08:42:07 AM »
1. BlockIlvaine - the blocked shot is my favorite event in basketball.  Loved it when they'd drive, he'd swat it away, they'd get the loose ball and go up again, he'd bat it back - had to be demoralizing.  For this reason I'd have to include Faisal as well.

The only other name that I'd include in the top 10 that others haven't mentioned is Ron Curry.  A bright spot in dim times the way I remember him, silky smooth, nice hops.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 08:45:42 AM by Cheese_Ed »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 09:20:42 AM »
Probably Aaron Hutchins - That sawed off little bastard was really a great player. Tough as a $3 steak and an absolute killer. I hated the way it ended for him.

Similar to the discussion below about the NIT game against USF. I remember vividly being in St. Louis in '97 (I think) when we won the conference tournament, beating very good teams along the way. That also ranks up there as on eof my best MU Bball memories. Hutchins performance in that tournament was freaking awesome.

Of course Wade gets a mention, as does Deiner, and I always loved Michael Wilson as well. Someone else pointed out Jarrod Lovette - another career with an unfortunate ending. He wasn't mich to look at, but was a damn good player (wouldn't have minded having him the last couple years.) Cordell Henry is another guy I always liked. He just got better and better every game he played.

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 09:34:57 AM »
1. Wade (Do I need a reason)
2. Cordell Henry (Nobody does the floater better, plus throat slash gesture vs UC in 2002)
3. Steve Novak (His Junp shot was like watching a beautifully poured Beer, it just ribboned like silk right into the glass, and you were 90 percent sure that it was good)
4. R-Jax (First, and last time I have seen a low post game at MU)
5. Joe Chapman ( Grit, toughness, an ugly shot that went in more times than not)
6. Brian Wardle (not the most polished of players, but he got the job done)
7. Travis Diener (Without him their is not game against Missouri as we would have lost to Holy Cross by like 10)
8. M-Jax (Marquettes First "Point Center")
9. Jerel McNeal (Nobody knew what he meant to the team until we got crushed by Providence, and than get crushed by MSU)
10. Brian Barone (Hit some huge shots against UC his Senior year)

These are in no particular order

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 09:36:55 AM »
I go with Tony Miller -- came in and played and was a leader for 4 years and, to me, really keyed the return of the program as the floor general for those O'Neill teams.  His performance at breaking the press vs. Kentucky was one of the best single performances in an MU uniform, IMO.  It also helps that his four years coincided with my four years there.  We've had better "scoring" point guards (Hutchins/Henry/Diener/James), but no one who played the role of a "pure" point as well as Miller.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 09:45:47 AM »
Of course Wade.  I've been at nearly every home game for 20 years primarily because I want to root the team on to win.  But during Wade's time I just savored watching him play, seeing what he would do.  Everything else is second best and frankly its been hard to get used to.  But the rest of the list.

Diener - Sooo tough.  Really wished he could have broken the school scoring record and he would have, had he not gotten injured

Jimmy Mac - Guys just gave up driving into the lane against him

Hutchens - So Quick - Loved that little swipe at the ball and the the "I didn't touch him" look

David Boone - Best 6-6 rebounder we ever had.  Seemed to have gumby arms

Mandy Johnson - Another tough guard

Anthoney Pieper - Played against Cinc with a dislocated shoulder.  How tough is that

Novak - I could watch his shot release for ever.

Tony Smith - That guy could score

Tony Miller - Most heart of any Marquette player

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 10:12:08 AM »
1. Tony Smith...Greatest Senior year ever!
2. Dwyane Wade...Doesn't need an explanation
3. Travis Diener...Nobody had bigger B@LL$!
4. Robert Jackson...We could use a guy like him every year.
5. Jimmy Mac...Still remember how he altered almost every shot that Kentucky took in the tournament.
6. Brian Wardle...he was there when I was there.  He had a nice shot.
7. Kerry Trotter...I remember him when I was a kid.  Had a decent game against UNC.
8. David Boone...This was my older brother's favorite.
9. Steve Novak...Smoothest stroke EVER!
10. John Polonowski...Was one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet!

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 10:18:41 AM »
There is no doubt who my favorite player was to watch at MU

Travis Diener was the heart and soul of MU basketball for 4 years.  He was so much fun to watch because of his smooth shot and his intense defense.  Diener would be so emotional on the court and played with so much heart that I believe he is the stereotypical MU Basketball player

Without him we would not have made that run to the final four and lets not forget he single handedly shot down the badgers (an elite eight team that year) in his senior season at home.

If there was one player I would want back on the court it would be Diener

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 11:19:51 AM »
Mine will be limited to players I've seen in person.

Dwyane - I know it's a little cliche, but the kid was just flat out better than ever other player. From his first game in the GAS to the the victory over UK, he was dynamite. Most of my favorite memories in college have something to do with watching Dwyane.

Steve Novak - I love guys who can defend, Steve really isn't one of them. But, he could flat out stroke it and rip the heart out of any team. Nothing was quite as fun as watching him almost single-handedly put teams away (Mizzou, DePaul on the road (twice), ND, etc.). He was absolutely cold blooded. I still can't believe he missed that 3 against Bama. I don't blame him, I'm just shocked it didn't go in.

Blankson - I know he tranfered and some people hate him now, but I really loved his athletic ability and he might have had the best hands of any forward I have seen... he could grab weakside rebounds better than anybody. (the opposite of Merrit).

Harris - Didn't really touch the floor as a frosh, but you could tell when he came back as a soph he was ready to go. His guns were HUGE and he did a very good job as the "sherrif" for those MU teams. Also, I had class with him and he was a very, very nice kid.

Diener - He used to drive me nuts with his fast break 3pters, but he was the cocky kid on the playground that you always wanted to play with and never wanted to play against. He gets more out of his 6' than most guys.

Wardle - My friends and I always kind of disliked him when he was at MU because the teams weren't very good, and people treated him like he was a God. Anyways, I have to admit he was pretty good and probably the best thing MU had in 98-00.

Polo - He won the dunk contest one year, which I think is funny. I also used to drink with him at parties quite often. Some of the basketball managers used to claim that Polo was actually very talented and could have been a very good player... he just didn't care... he was just kind of a free spirit and did what he wanted.

Marcus Jackson
- Super scary looking... really friendly in person. He's a very nice kid. I love his hustle and his PG ability hahaha.

SqueallyDRyan

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 01:06:28 PM »
1. Travis Diener
2. Cordell Henry
3. Brian Wardle
4. Steve Novak
5. Dwyane Wade
6. Anthony Pieper
7. Chris Crawford
8. Aaron Hutchins
9. Brian Barone
10. Greg Clausen (automatic points whenever he came in)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 01:08:54 PM by SqueallyDRyan »
It's not the size of your Diener; its how you use it

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2007, 01:57:16 PM »
I think you meant
"Greg Clausen (automatic blocking foul whenever he came in)"

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2007, 05:03:48 PM »
I'm going with the players I have seen in person, so from 1988 on...

1) Wade
2) Hutchins
3) Miller
4) Diener
5) Novak
6) Smith
7) Wardle
8) McNeal
9) Anglavar
10) Abraham

muhswarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2007, 09:50:22 PM »
Players I saw as well.

1. Travis - A true warrior would love my boys to play the game like him some day
2. Wade - something special
3. Doc - He was the man when I started going to MU games
4. Damon Key - Was a couple years behind him at MUHS and it was great to watch a guy be so solid.
5. Wardle - Just wish he had more talent around him
6. Novak - The sweetest stroke I have seen
7. Marc Marotta - Hard worker nice game inside and out
8. Tony Miller - a true PG
9. Tony Smith - never knew when he was going to explode for 35
10. McNeal - the heart and soul of todays team

mu72warrior

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2007, 04:27:46 PM »
1)Jim Chones, Had he stayed in college MU would have had 2 legit chances @ the NCAA championships in 71-72, and 72-73. Ranked 2nd in country behind UCLA in 71-72.
2)Dean Meminger, had all the skills Of Dominique James, plus a brain.
3)Maurice Lucas, All around player. tough, intimidating(to friend and foe alike) great rebounder, good offensive smarts. His NBA career was more of the same.
4)George Thompson, Wonderful to watch on offense, seemed like he carried half the other team on his back going to the basket.
5)D Wade, you've all seem him, enough said
6)Earl Tatum, The D Wade of his day @ Marquette.
7)Bo Ellis, All the skills and a team leader on the floor.
8)Doc Rivers, Was Marquette when he was all Marquette had. Not an easy job!
9)Allie Mc Guire, the Rodney Dangerfield of Marquette, (doesn't get no respect!) Great floor leader, unselfish, great passer, good scorer, a complete all around player. Made the others look good.
10)Butch Lee, Great scorer, with Bo he didn't need to be the floor leader.

feedback