[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: OU now thinks its Weber  (Read 7122 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: OU now thinks its Weber
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2011, 10:37:21 AM »
Should be really interesting to see what happens with Shaka Smart....have to think OU and NC State are going to go hard after him at this point.  However, most of the contributing players on the VCU roster were recruited by Anthony Grant..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 10:39:31 AM »
True, but Smart has also shown he can recruit at the highest level as an assistant at Florida.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 10:47:01 AM »
Fishing?  Doesn't appear that way, although I'm sure OU pr will declare whoever they hire as their "top choice" all along.  OU is swinging and missing regardless of the genius Castiglione may or may not be, and it's making him look bad. 
Why does it "look bad"?  I believe you that it does, but he's just doing his job trying to lure top talent to his job opening.  Many of them are long shots, but he's doing his job by exploring the best potential options.  Every one of those names already has a decent job - it's not like he got turned down by someone with no reason to say no.  Why do people jump to conclusions so quickly and call a couple rejections from long shot candidates "doing a bad job"?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2011, 10:50:54 AM »
Why does it "look bad"?  I believe you that it does, but he's just doing his job trying to lure top talent to his job opening.  Many of them are long shots, but he's doing his job by exploring the best potential options.  Every one of those names already has a decent job - it's not like he got turned down by someone with no reason to say no.  Why do people jump to conclusions so quickly and call a couple rejections from long shot candidates "doing a bad job"?

I just think, from a PR standpoint, he should be doing a better job of keeping his head coaching targets out of the media.  Rejection just looks bad on a program.  It's perceived as a guy essentially saying, "no, the job I currently have and the school I currently work for is better than your job/school".  Right or wrong that's how it's perceived.

I fully agree that he should absolutely shoot for the moon, but this widespread public knowledge of perceived rejections is a bad thing.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:52:53 AM by NickelDimer »
No Finish Line

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2011, 10:57:03 AM »
Because if they keep going for high profile targets, only to have one after the other shoot them down, and then turning to some mid-major coach to replace the mid-major coach you just fired, it makes you look like you have no plan whatsoever.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2011, 11:11:33 AM »
Though no one has been that bad in the OU search, I commend Buzz for handling it with class.  He never trashed OU.  If you piece together all the rumors, it sounds like Buzz very complementary of OU and knows it is a great program.  He just likes MU better.

We all wanted to hear him say that OU is worse than MU, but in the long run, Buzz handled it with class.  If we ever play OU there will not be any locker room material because of the way Buzz handled this.

And in general, I agree that OU is not handling this very well. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2011, 11:17:18 AM »
Because if they keep going for high profile targets, only to have one after the other shoot them down, and then turning to some mid-major coach to replace the mid-major coach you just fired, it makes you look like you have no plan whatsoever.

If - regardless of the outcome - Castiglione's goal is simply to appear as though he had a plan, then OU is in a world of trouble.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2011, 11:20:30 AM »
I didn't say it was his goal "simply to have a plan."  However, one would think that if you fire your basketball coach, that it shouldn't take weeks to fill the job.  The fact that they swing and miss...and will likely have to settle...means that you really didn't go into this with a good idea of what the outcome might be.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 11:27:01 AM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2011, 11:25:07 AM »
Should be really interesting to see what happens with Shaka Smart....have to think OU and NC State are going to go hard after him at this point.  However, most of the contributing players on the VCU roster were recruited by Anthony Grant..

Curious if he will take the $ and run from VCU.  Odds of him being ever this hot again are small, guess it depends on the kwan and the school that wants him.  Depends if VCU is ready to quadruple or quintuple his salary, (media reports have him making $300K-$350K).

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2011, 11:39:46 AM »
Though no one has been that bad in the OU search, I commend Buzz for handling it with class.  He never trashed OU.  If you piece together all the rumors, it sounds like Buzz very complementary of OU and knows it is a great program.  He just likes MU better.

We all wanted to hear him say that OU is worse than MU, but in the long run, Buzz handled it with class.  If we ever play OU there will not be any locker room material because of the way Buzz handled this.

I would think that if a coach was very public and vocal (i.e., not classy) about turning down a program that was expressing interest/making an offer, that coach would have fewer suitors in the future.  No program wants to be publicly humiliated, and I suspect many would hesitate to go after a coach that in the past wasn't discrete/classy about the process.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2011, 11:57:14 AM »
I didn't say it was his goal "simply to have a plan."  However, one would think that if you fire your basketball coach, that it shouldn't take weeks to fill the job.  The fact that they swing and miss...and will likely have to settle...means that you really didn't go into this with a good idea of what the outcome might be.

If an AD had this ability, then he's pissing his life away being an AD... there are plenty of better paying jobs out there for the clairvoyant.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2011, 12:00:08 PM »
Jesus Benny....

I didn't say he "knew what the outcome would be"....I said "a good idea of what the outcome might be."

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2011, 01:35:16 PM »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2011, 01:37:05 PM »
With Mizzou and OU still open, you'd think theyd split travel costs and interview time, by bringing ,say ....the same 6 coaches into, say, ....a KC,Mo. hotel ---they can throw each other, their interview castoffs, until 2 finally say yes, and then, go home happy .
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2011, 01:44:44 PM »
Have we learned nothing? It's not the AD that circulates these rumors...it's the coach. Look no further than the horse's ass currently coaching Indiana for proof of that.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2011, 01:45:50 PM »
With Mizzou and OU still open, you'd think theyd split travel costs and interview time, by bringing ,say ....the same 6 coaches into, say, ....a KC,Mo. hotel ---they can throw each other, their interview castoffs, until 2 finally say yes, and then, go home happy .

They'll probably be doing that exact same thing, but in Houston this weekend, and NC State will be in a different room down the hall.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2011, 01:50:46 PM »
They'll probably be doing that exact same thing, but in Houston this weekend, and NC State will be in a different room down the hall.
Great idea--- rent a ballroom, and set up tables-- job fair/college night style. ---a free t shirt with every interview...
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2011, 02:02:41 PM »
Curious if he will take the $ and run from VCU.  Odds of him being ever this hot again are small, guess it depends on the kwan and the school that wants him.  Depends if VCU is ready to quadruple or quintuple his salary, (media reports have him making $300K-$350K).

Gotta strike when the iron is hot...see Chris Lowrey.  I remember quite a few people wanted him a few years back.

Stuckin1977

• Starter
    • Stuck in 1977
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2011, 02:49:51 PM »
Wonder if Illinois would entertain another Crean interview? Maybe he'd tone it down and polish his interviewing skills this time.

It'd be great to have Crean coaching at Illinois, then I'd have the pleasure of seeing him drive the program into the ground first-hand.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2011, 03:40:06 PM »
Have we learned nothing? It's not the AD that circulates these rumors...it's the coach. Look no further than the horse's ass currently coaching Indiana for proof of that.

So Buzz is the one who circulated the rumors about Arkansas and Oklahoma?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2011, 07:55:33 PM »
If an AD had this ability, then he's pissing his life away being an AD... there are plenty of better paying jobs out there for the clairvoyant.

I believe the AD at Michigan would beg to differ.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2011, 07:58:42 PM »
So Buzz is the one who circulated the rumors about Arkansas and Oklahoma?

The first guy to bring the correct buyout number to cyber space was an Arkansas sports editor on twitter who had an Oklahoma source.  So somebody leaked out the buyout number to Ok people...if it wasn't MU than it was..............

Just talking to other parties and not dismissing them will lead to rumors.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 08:00:56 PM by Stone Cold »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2011, 08:35:32 PM »
The first guy to bring the correct buyout number to cyber space was an Arkansas sports editor on twitter who had an Oklahoma source.  So somebody leaked out the buyout number to Ok people...if it wasn't MU than it was..............

Just talking to other parties and not dismissing them will lead to rumors.

Wrong ... the first person to bring the correct number to cyber space was Rosiak.  Detailed here

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=26347.msg294137#msg294137

The TX and OK people repeatedly, and incorrectly, said this number was wrong.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2011, 08:42:54 PM »
  This was the first guy to put 3.8 out there on the internet on March 21st.  This number was brought to the boards before Rosiak mentioned or confirmed any numbers.  Rosiak went on OK air on March 22nd.  Later confirmed the 3.8 number in print.

http://twitter.com/wallylikeitis
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 08:46:01 PM by Stone Cold »

feedback