[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz inks a new deal  (Read 8307 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Buzz inks a new deal
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 04:24:45 PM »
Recent issues will be a thing of the past. Now time to focus on ball.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 04:50:53 PM »
Sweet humblebrag.   :P
Very sorry-- I was in no way attempting any brag here--- these are some of the worst clients I have ever had(unresponsive, irresponsible, bad pays, etc)--not the type I have ever sought out further. More of a cautionary tale, than any brag...from my perspective, anyway. lol
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 05:31:24 PM »
Now, Buzz is our coach. Let this board not get on his case like last season if something goes bad in a game.  :P
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
Williams deal is done.
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 05:47:45 PM »

hdog1017

• Team Captain
Re: Williams deal is done.
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 05:55:26 PM »
Where's Rosiak with in the inside scoop?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2011, 05:58:09 PM »
That leaves only the question; "Can the man finally get some sleep now?"
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2011, 06:00:19 PM »
littlemurs---nice!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2011, 06:03:41 PM »
lol...I have had pro athletes, and coaches as clients, and have learned they are very accustomed to having others take care of everything for them, including the tab. lol

I know of one notable exception.  When Julius Peppers signed with Chicago last year, he went into a nightclub where he got a standing ovation.  He responded by buying everyone there champagne at a cost of over 10k.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2011, 06:12:38 PM »
I know of one notable exception.  When Julius Peppers signed with Chicago last year, he went into a nightclub where he got a standing ovation.  He responded by buying everyone there champagne at a cost of over 10k.

That's how 4never rolls.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2011, 06:28:31 PM »
Where's Rosiak with in the inside scoop?

It was merged with the "Buzz inks a new deal" thread, and now this thread has been too.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Williams' deal with MU done
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2011, 07:39:31 PM »
Does any other major coach have a rollover contract?  I wonder why Buzz does that and what the pros and cons of it are.  We didn't do that with Crean did we?

Paul Hewitt at G Tech had a rollover, not sure who else does.  Rollover minimizes the upside for Buzz in exchange for minimized risk if he fails.  If he succeeds at MU he is inked in long term with a salary cap of sorts and has a large buy-out to go somewhere else, however if he fails and MU wants to fire him he would be owed a large sum of money.

For Marquette we are maximizing the risk to maximize the upside.  If successful we don't have to pay out much more, he's locked in, but if he fails we owe him a lot of money when fired.

Personally I think its a great deal for MU, Buzz will only get better and theoretically we shouldn't seen a ton of "Buzz to...." rumors.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2011, 08:06:46 PM »
Whooohoooo. Tell Buzz I'll buy him drinks in Houston!!!

Why? Can't he afford it?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2011, 10:15:38 AM »
Great news for MU and MKE!  Congrats to Buzz and family and the MU administration for getting this done.  I'm looking very forward to seeing the results Buzz and staff get over the next few years.  Think we are in store for some really good things!
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2011, 10:25:01 AM »
For Marquette we are maximizing the risk to maximize the upside.  If successful we don't have to pay out much more, he's locked in, but if he fails we owe him a lot of money when fired.

And actually, I don't think there is a lot of downside risk here.  I don't think Buzz is going to "fail" to the point where MU would want to fire him a la Dukiet or Deane.  He may not fully meet people's expectations, but he is bringing in too much talent, and has showed enough success as a coach, that I think he will be here as long as he wants to be.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2011, 10:37:42 AM »

And actually, I don't think there is a lot of downside risk here.  I don't think Buzz is going to "fail" to the point where MU would want to fire him a la Dukiet or Deane.  He may not fully meet people's expectations, but he is bringing in too much talent, and has showed enough success as a coach, that I think he will be here as long as he wants to be.

Hopefully, the regular season this year was the low water mark.  The post-season certainly exceeded expectations, but I don't think anyone could argue the regular season was "meets expectations" at best.  With more talent coming in over the next few years, I'm hoping to see improvement over this year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2011, 10:58:24 AM »
Eh...my expectations were pretty low for this year.  I actually think they ended up exceeding them by even making the tournament.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
Hopefully, the regular season this year was the low water mark.  The post-season certainly exceeded expectations, but I don't think anyone could argue the regular season was "meets expectations" at best.  With more talent coming in over the next few years, I'm hoping to see improvement over this year.

You could argue that our regular season "met expectations at best," but if you looked at it from a bigger picture perspective as far as the state of the program at the time of the coaching change and the defection of letter of intent kids:  Taylor and Nick Williams, as well as subsequent transfer decisions of Christopherson and Mbawke...and graduation of Lazar, Cooby, and Mo....we reloaded pretty well and in my opinion greatly exceeded expectations for this year.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2011, 12:11:25 PM »
Eh...my expectations were pretty low for this year.  I actually think they ended up exceeding them by even making the tournament.

+1 Although I must admit the bar is pretty high for next year in my book...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2011, 12:25:36 PM »

When programs like UNC, UCLA, Kentucky, Georgetown, UConn and Florida have all missed the tournament in recent years, a .500 season in the Big East and a tournament bid is a pretty decent "low water mark."

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2011, 01:18:49 PM »
You could argue that our regular season "met expectations at best," but if you looked at it from a bigger picture perspective as far as the state of the program at the time of the coaching change and the defection of letter of intent kids:  Taylor and Nick Williams, as well as subsequent transfer decisions of Christopherson and Mbawke...and graduation of Lazar, Cooby, and Mo....we reloaded pretty well and in my opinion greatly exceeded expectations for this year.

Maybe my "meets expectations" comment triggered too many reactions to all the other discussions that have gone on here lately.  I agree with you, and I meant my comment more along the lines of the "little downside risk".  This past year was clearly the transition year between the old talent (Lazar, Mo, Cuby) leaving, and the new talent being ready to step in, and Buzz still managed to get into the NCAA's.  There will certainly be some bumps along the way, but I see things going up from here.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2011, 01:58:04 PM »
Maybe my "meets expectations" comment triggered too many reactions to all the other discussions that have gone on here lately.  I agree with you, and I meant my comment more along the lines of the "little downside risk".  This past year was clearly the transition year between the old talent (Lazar, Mo, Cuby) leaving, and the new talent being ready to step in, and Buzz still managed to get into the NCAA's.  There will certainly be some bumps along the way, but I see things going up from here.

Agree...and I should have qualified my comment with....if you told me we'd go 9-9 in the Big East and have a Sweet 16 appearance in the fall of 2008 for the 2010-2011 seaons....I'd have say my expectations would have been greatly exceeded.

However, with the talent Buzz was able to bring in, at the start of this season..I felt we might be able to go 11-7 maybe even 12-6 in the Big East this year...thus why I could agree that you could say this season at best "met expectations" with regard to regular season performance.  The Sweet 16 run trumped all and made it a very good season..though frustrating at times during the regular season.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2011, 02:43:37 PM »
Agree...and I should have qualified my comment with....if you told me we'd go 9-9 in the Big East and have a Sweet 16 appearance in the fall of 2008 for the 2010-2011 seaons....I'd have say my expectations would have been greatly exceeded.

However, with the talent Buzz was able to bring in, at the start of this season..I felt we might be able to go 11-7 maybe even 12-6 in the Big East this year...thus why I could agree that you could say this season at best "met expectations" with regard to regular season performance.  The Sweet 16 run trumped all and made it a very good season..though frustrating at times during the regular season.

Did you also think we could go 11-7 and 12-6 while the BE was sending 11 teams to the tourney? 

Did we underperformed your expectations or was the rest of the BE simply better than we thought?

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2011, 03:18:16 PM »
Did you also think we could go 11-7 and 12-6 while the BE was sending 11 teams to the tourney? 

Did we underperformed your expectations or was the rest of the BE simply better than we thought?

That is a good point.  To me, it was the latter.  Preseason and early non-conference, I did not believe the BE was that strong.  I thought there were some good teams, but I expected some to underperform.  If the BE was to my expectations, I would have thought MU could have been 11-7.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2011, 04:43:18 PM »

Very good point - I was calculating Cincy and St. John's as wins..and didn't have the Seton Hall loss factored..but also didn't think we'd beat Syracuse..

Also..is there any additional merit to the Big East in that Pitt and Georgetown were knocked out by Final Four teams?  Couple their exits with 2 teams being knocked out by other Big East teams (Syracuse and Cincinnati)..and the conference represented just fine.  Only "bad" loss was Lville and St. Johns (though no doubt losing DJ Kennedy hurt them)

Goose

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2011, 06:55:38 PM »
Ners---Congrats on Buzz staying. You were right all the way along this process. I am very happy you were!