Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette to Pay Buzz $2.5 Million?  (Read 9720 times)

MUMac

• All American
Re: Marquette to Pay Buzz $2.5 Million?
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 11:28:55 AM »
I wonder if this current story will cause MU to wait on announcing this if they do at all.  MU knows 100% of the facts so they would know best.  Maybe extending Buzz would be a good distraction story, or it could draw more attention to this.

The ultimate announcement about Buzz's future is when OU announces someone other than Buzz I suppose.

No.

groove

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 12:03:05 PM »
There is no need to make an announcement this week while the other story is in the news. If MU and Buzz have reached an agreement they know it and that is all that matters. No need to give the general public the opportunity to think that MU just paid $2.5 million dollars for a coach who recruits pervs.

And right or wrong that is what people will think. I received four emails last night and today from friends from other parts of the country asking me about MU and saying stuff like, 'hey, you guys are like the Bearcats now.'
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:09:54 PM by groove »

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 12:12:26 PM »
I have no inside knowledge of the process in arriving at an NCAA head coach's salary, but I know that compensation is given to Retain and Reward performance. In College Basketball, the cost of a coach leaving (especially after only 3 years) would be steeper than in other industries. Add to that the quick interest other programs are showing in Buzz.

I can understand that MU feels putting money into locking him down for the foreseeable future will
1) Improve recruiting
2) Build attendence
3) Reduce risk

Buzz's performance so far should calm us from the initial "we replace Tom Crean with this guy!!?" reaction many of us had early on, but probably doesn't make up most of the justification for $2-2.5m.

How many times have you heard Izzo's name in the running for any other college job? Never; he's made it clear he's staying at MSU (unless he jumps for the NBA). Same can be said for Bo - who wants him? He has a better resume at this point in performance, but there's no reason to pay him to stay.

This whole thing makes sense to me, especially since MU's BBall program pays for itself. I like Buzz as our coach and most visibile University spokesperson, and hope he has continued success.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 12:16:36 PM »
I can understand that MU feels putting money into locking him down for the foreseeable future will
1) Improve recruiting
2) Build attendence
3) Reduce risk

I agree with your post, but especially the above.  The last two times MU made it to the Sweet 16 (or beyond), the coach really was not able to effectively capitalize on the recruiting.  In KO's case, he left MU.  In TC's case, his name constantly appeared for new jobs - allowing bo and his cronies to put a wedge with the recruit.

Paying Buzz this kind of money this early in his career was a statement.  To Buzz, to the program, to the recruits and to other potential suitors.  Now let's see what Buzz can do on the recruiting trail to build upon the Sweet 16 run.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 12:21:32 PM »
And right or wrong that is what people will think. I received four emails last night and today from friends from other parts of the country asking me about MU and saying stuff like, 'hey, you guys are like the Bearcats now.'

That is an awful lot of words to type when all you could have said was "My friends are morons."

groove

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2011, 12:26:31 PM »
Yeah, you can say that about the general public too. Just the perception that will be out there, don't kid yourself.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2011, 12:36:12 PM »

That is an awful lot of words to type when all you could have said was "My friends are morons."

I just spit my coffee at the computer ... well played.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2011, 01:26:34 PM »
It is probably somewhere between 2 and 2.5 but I hope it's closer to 2.5.

Don't think of it as 2.5.  Think of it as an extra .8 mill. 
Buzz's shown he can recruit.  He's won some games.  Beat a higher seed than Bo ever has. Kids Graduate.  No character issues.

Lets say no offer was coming this year, we could have waited till next year to give him this deal.  But why? It is 800k to make a gesture.  Lets see if he's brought up next year when some random, bottom tear, state school is making a change.

Consistency is worth it. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2011, 01:28:34 PM »
Well put Rawdog.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2011, 01:53:14 PM »

nycwarrior,

Excellent post that really sums up MU's situation the last 30 years. Considering what Al and Hank built, we have been underachievers ever since.

The fact that the current administration understands the basketball program and it's value to the university is huge.

We coud still have Fr. Al D who destroyed mens hoops and damn near cratered the University.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2011, 02:01:32 PM »
nyc warrior--I have read your post several times and absolutely love it. Your thoughts are right on, at least on the surface. I truly hope that administration are making the call because they trust Buzz is the guy. Hate to admit it, but I still get gun shy whenever MU needs to make a ball decision. Never sure if the decision is made from strength or weakness. I am thinking positively and your post pumped me up.

That said, I have been harping about the program having an identity and have my fingers crossed we might be wanting to be a basketball school again. We were once a basketball powerhouse and this fan wants to see it again. Pay Buzz, or whoever is the right guy, all the money need to maximize our assets.

burger

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 03:16:47 PM »

No ....I do not think so......

We have never had anyone kidnap a fellow student.....Tie him down.....Torture him with a scalding hot coat hanger (and who knows what else) to find out where he hides his stash.....

That is slightly outside the boundaries of a Jesuit education......

leever

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 03:20:34 PM »
With regard to "the other story" - - - -

“ [T]here are known knowns; there are things we know we know.
We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know.
But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know. ”
—Former United States Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »
Buzz still has some learning to do, but it all starts with recruiting. As much as some may malign Buzz's recruits, let's look at the guys he's brought in the past two seasons:

• Dwight Buycks: JUCO All-American, useful sixth man as a junior, started virtually all of senior year
  • Junior Cadougan: After an injury-plagued freshman year and a slow start, finally looks like our point guard of the future
  • Jeronne Maymon: Yes, he left, and no, he hasn't really done anything of note, but he was an immense talent that would have been handed a scholarship at 98% of all D1 schools, good get, despite how it worked out
  • Erik Williams: Really struggled to get minutes his first two years, but started to see regular time near the end of this season and seems to be "getting it", like Maymon, a highly rated player that could have went most anywhere and will hopefully contribute even more the next two seasons
  • Yous Mbao: Buzz took a flier on a 7'2" guy and missed, never grasped his role on defense, transferred before he could develop
  • Brett Roseboro: Another miss, 6'10" big man didn't seem to fit in from the start and never suited up
  • Darius Johnson-Odom: Immense JUCO transfer has been better than anyone expected, leading scorer this year and possible 20 ppg scorer next year

• Vander Blue: Top 40 talent, could have been given a scholarship at any school in the country, while some argue he underachieved as a freshman, there's no way Buzz could have passed on this kid
  • Jamail Jones: Hasn't done much yet, but has a good jump shot and is projected as an NBA player, like Maymon and Williams, could have played almost anywhere
  • Jae Crowder: JUCO POY hit the wall near the end of the season, but was an emotion leader and impact player from day one
  • Reggie Smith: Transferred before he could prove his worth, flashed potential but didn't pan out
  • DJ Newbill: Committed to us then released from his commitment, played very well at Southern Miss but obviously did nothing for MU
  • Jamil Wilson: Top 50 talent that we missed on once but not twice, a huge coup for Buzz to get him back home
  • Davante Gardner: Better than anyone expected him to be as a freshman, contributed useful minutes and offense in the post
I see these guys as fitting into three main categories...

Can't pass prospects: Big difference between can't miss and can't pass. Quite simply, when you are Marquette, you don't pass on a top 100 kid that wants to come here. Blue, Wilson, and Cadougan will hopefully be major factors next year. And while we haven't seen much yet, Jones, Williams, and Maymon were guys that Buzz had to take, simply because unless you are UNC or Duke, you don't pass on talents like those.

JUCO transfers: DJO and Crowder have been studs, Buycks has been a useful starter. All were JUCO All-Americans. They helped ease the gap between the Three Amigos and Lazar's graduations and the maturation of our current freshmen and sophomores. Whether you like their inclusion, they did the job.

Three-stars and below: In the past two years, we have more misses than hits, but that one hit is our first legitimate low post scorer in a long time. In addition, none of the misses are currently taking up scholarships. People may throw around terms like 'Buzz-cut' or whatever, but the roster looks good.

Okay, so that's my recruiting summary. Next year, more than half of the roster will be either top-100 players or JUCO All-Americans. Of the remainder, two will be centers with legitimate upside, two will be freshman guards that are drawing late rave reviews, one will be a walk-on, and one scholarship is open. Clearly, the talent, at least by the ratings, is coming around. As long as his game-planning develops (already showing signs), his motivation keeps working, and he continues to bring in quality kids (still a bit leery of how this current thing will play out) then I think he's worth the money, even if it does seem a bit crazy. In 5-10 years, if he's still here, I'm confident that 2.5M/year will sound like a steal.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2011, 09:27:25 AM »
Good recruiting breakdown; I enjoyed reading it.

In 5-10 years, if he's still here, I'm confident that 2.5M/year will sound like a steal.
With Buzz inking a new contract annually, do we think it will still be 2.5M in 5-10 years?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2011, 09:28:54 AM »
Three-stars and below: In the past two years, we have more misses than hits, but that one hit is our first legitimate low post scorer in a long time. In addition, none of the misses are currently taking up scholarships. People may throw around terms like 'Buzz-cut' or whatever, but the roster looks good.

I'd like to know how Buzz is doing against his Big East peers in terms of 3-star recruiting "hits."

Ox has been a dead on hit so far, and his performance against UNC had me wringing my hands in evil anticipation of the next three years.

If Roseboro, DJN and RS had stayed, they could too have very well been hits; then again, maybe not.  At the very least, I don't think you can count these against Buzz... he may have recruited the right talent, just the wrong people.  Either way, I would call these "no decisions."

With Mbao, injuries forced a transfer; however, I don't think he was going to pan out... simply too raw, too lanky, too slow for his size, and not enough basketball IQ.  Call that a miss.

Otule should be added to Buzz's list... even though recruited under the TC regime, he was Buzz's recruit and never played for TC.  Another definite three-star "hit" in that he has performed beyond expectations thus far.

So by my count, Buzz is 2-1 (in 6 starts) on three-stars.  Too soon to extrapolate into meaningful results, but certainly he's on the right track.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2011, 10:24:49 AM »

With Buzz inking a new contract annually, do we think it will still be 2.5M in 5-10 years?

Ha, If we keep raising his salarary by 30% every year he'll be the highest paid coach in the courntry in 2 years.  I don't think the Administration entered into this new contract thinking it would have to be redone in 12 months. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2011, 10:30:40 AM »
Rawdog--I am afraid we are looking at increases on yearly basis because we have set the table for that happening. My only concern on paying Buzz all this money is that we might be doing it for wrong reason. I hope they believe Buzz is FF type guy and not S16 every few years.

We have shown that money is not a major obstacle and that is good thing. Now we need to return to surpass the investment.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2011, 10:40:46 AM »
Ha, If we keep raising his salarary by 30% every year he'll be the highest paid coach in the country in 2 years.  I don't think the Administration entered into this new contract thinking it would have to be redone in 12 months. 
That's shortsighted on their part, given that every contract Buzz has had so far has been redone 12 months later.  He's about to sign his 4th contract as head coach.

6746jonesr

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2011, 10:45:35 AM »
Absolutely, and there better be some big time progress in Conference record, scheduling, recruiting big time studs, and dance progress---and please spare the excuses--2.5 million zoidies?? That is big time cash!!!

Is it your cash?  If not, then why are you so bothered by it?  Yes, our conference record was worse this year than last year and the year before.  Some cite inexperience as the explanation, and Buzz repeatedly has stated that this years team had a combined 8 years of Big East experience.  But for me, the real issue is the tone.  You speak of our performance as if we won 1 or 2 games in the Big East.  We were .500, and we are not Depaul.  Willie, the world is not coming to an end.  Dance progress, we made it to the sweet sixteen.  Isn't that progress?  I am not trying to make excuses, but I really do think that  you should re-read some of your posts.  You are flat out wrong in what you wrote above.  

TJ

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2011, 10:45:42 AM »
Rawdog--I am afraid we are looking at increases on yearly basis because we have set the table for that happening. My only concern on paying Buzz all this money is that we might be doing it for wrong reason. I hope they believe Buzz is FF type guy and not S16 every few years.

We have shown that money is not a major obstacle and that is good thing. Now we need to return to surpass the investment.
I agree that we're potentially setting the table for future problems, but I also think that it's really important to lock Buzz up, show a gesture of commitment, etc.

As for the reason, I believe there's more to the reason from the Administration's point of view than basketball results.  Obviously there are some requirements when it comes to bb results, but I think they're paying him for more than that.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2011, 12:32:35 PM »
    • Darius Johnson-Odom: Immense JUCO transfer has been better than anyone expected, leading scorer this year and possible 20 ppg scorer next year

I'm not sure I agree with this. DJO was a name that came out of nowhere when Buzz signed him, but I feel like expectations were pretty high. We heard that some big names (I want to say UK and Pitt?) would have been on him except for the fact that they didn't know he was eligible after one year in JUCO. I also remember reading one scout's take that he was the most impressive guard recruit he'd seen all year other than John Wall.

I personally expected him to be All-BE at some point, so I'd say he has met my expectations but not necessarily exceeded them.

Memory's a little fuzzy after a couple years, and I didn't feel like checking Scoop archives. Feel free to correct me.

Montana Warrior

• Scholarship Player
    « Reply #47 on: March 30, 2011, 01:22:01 PM »
    Everyone remember where we were at the end of the Mike Deane era.  We were bordering on obscurity and irrelevance.  Now we are in the the top 30-40 programs nationwide.  We are in rare air right now.  So the cost of the coach being paid $1.5 million or 2.5 million is irrelevant.  The investments of the last dozen years are bearing fruit.  Whether it will be Buzz or someone else, getting and retaining top coaching talent will be expensive.  Get over it.

Goose

• All American
    « Reply #48 on: March 30, 2011, 01:57:59 PM »
    TJ---Locking Buzz up was the right call. If we had or lose Buzz it definitely takes away credibility from the school. Paying the Buzzer big money does change the game. What if Buzz has S16 team next year and leaves after next season. Are we going to pay a new up and comer $1.5m or elite coach $3.5m? We have not established a payscale at MU that cannot reversed without taking big step backwards.

If all we want is continuity there are a ton of middle of the road guys that would stay here for a decade at a $1m a year. We have shown that we are not just looking for continuity in a coach, but we also are paying one to win in big way.

Many on here bash Bo Ryan and UW for being losers or underachievers and I have no problem with that. However, they have kept a coach for a decade at a song of a price and he has 3 S16's and E8 and winningest BT regular season coach ever. If we are paying Buzz twice what Bo gets then he better win big or we are suckers.

TJ

• All American
    « Reply #49 on: March 30, 2011, 02:17:56 PM »
    TJ---Locking Buzz up was the right call. If we had or lose Buzz it definitely takes away credibility from the school. Paying the Buzzer big money does change the game. What if Buzz has S16 team next year and leaves after next season. Are we going to pay a new up and comer $1.5m or elite coach $3.5m? We have not established a payscale at MU that cannot reversed without taking big step backwards.

If all we want is continuity there are a ton of middle of the road guys that would stay here for a decade at a $1m a year. We have shown that we are not just looking for continuity in a coach, but we also are paying one to win in big way.

Many on here bash Bo Ryan and UW for being losers or underachievers and I have no problem with that. However, they have kept a coach for a decade at a song of a price and he has 3 S16's and E8 and winningest BT regular season coach ever. If we are paying Buzz twice what Bo gets then he better win big or we are suckers.
    I agree.  But I'm thinking they probably were trying to hire that guy that would stay here for a decade in Buzz.  And hopefully Buzz feels the same way.

feedback