Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Devante Gardner  (Read 9840 times)

karavotsos

• All American
Re: Devante Gardner
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2011, 07:35:32 PM »
Umm......we have the two of them together for 2 more years.  They will both have their moments and situations were they excel.

It's been awhile since we have had experienced options at the post.  Let's enjoy it!

Thank you.  And they both improved by leaps and bounds this year.  Gardner, I think, was listed at 295 when he came in, and idiot announcers continued to say that he was 295 when he clearly wasn't any more.  There is no reason to believe that he will not continue to improve his body.  Otule's defense got much better - both help and in the post.  Against UConn, he was the one who could defend the ball screen with Kemba when Fulce couldn't.  On offense, I don't know if people remember, but the pass into the post pretty much had to be fired into his gut for him to catch it.  Against Syracuse he did a great job catching soft passes in the post and passing out.  He struggled against the length of UNC, but that's part of getting better too. 

Doesn't have to be one over the other.  I too am excited about both Otule and Gardner.  They both work extremely hard to get good post position, which I love, and both seem to have a great will to improve their total game.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2011, 11:31:34 PM »
The one thing I would like to see Buzz do next year is at times let Gardner move outside a little
bit.  MU played a total low post offense but what I see is a kid who should be able to move out
and get some easy 15 foot shots.  He has a smooth shot from the free throw line so I bet he can
face the basket and make a few outside shots.  MU does a lot of pick and rolls, with Gardner I
think you can pick and pop, utilize his outside shot.

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2011, 04:11:30 AM »
Gardner is a significant back to the basket center. He has great hands, solid footwork and draws fouls against even bigger centers. Until proven, Otule is questionable making the catch in traffic. I've got to believe his sight problem affects his depth perception and that probably won't improve. However Chris is a decent shooter. I'd love to see him tried at the PF with Gardner at center.
Players win awards but teams win championships

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2011, 09:51:37 AM »
Thank you.  And they both improved by leaps and bounds this year.  Gardner, I think, was listed at 295 when he came in, and idiot announcers continued to say that he was 295 when he clearly wasn't any more.  There is no reason to believe that he will not continue to improve his body.  Otule's defense got much better - both help and in the post.  Against UConn, he was the one who could defend the ball screen with Kemba when Fulce couldn't.  On offense, I don't know if people remember, but the pass into the post pretty much had to be fired into his gut for him to catch it.  Against Syracuse he did a great job catching soft passes in the post and passing out.  He struggled against the length of UNC, but that's part of getting better too. 

Doesn't have to be one over the other.  I too am excited about both Otule and Gardner.  They both work extremely hard to get good post position, which I love, and both seem to have a great will to improve their total game.

I don't think the "idiot announcers" have access to the team weigh-ins. 

Marquette lists him at 290 both on the website and in the post-season media guide.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2011, 10:00:36 AM »
They have eyes.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2011, 10:18:32 AM »
They have eyes.

Which they use to read the roster information provided by the school.

Announcers are not "idiots" simply because they read a player's height or weight off the media guide the schools give them.  Nor are they "idiots" for not taking time during the course of calling a game to evaluate whether the schools' sports information staff has listed a players' height or weight accurately.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 10:36:42 AM by Marquette84 »

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2011, 10:25:18 AM »
The one thing I would like to see Buzz do next year is at times let Gardner move outside a little
bit.  MU played a total low post offense but what I see is a kid who should be able to move out
and get some easy 15 foot shots.  He has a smooth shot from the free throw line so I bet he can
face the basket and make a few outside shots.  MU does a lot of pick and rolls, with Gardner I
think you can pick and pop, utilize his outside shot.

His HS coach said he was the best shooter on his team.  The only thing that might prevent him from taking jumpers is the fact he can get deep post position anytime he wants and he is deadly when he gets it.  He is going to be a BEAST next year.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2011, 10:43:37 AM »
Unlike the MU staff, who prepared the guide used by the media?

I'm guessing the media guide was prepared before the season.  In my previous post I assumed that you were familiar with the concepts of time and change.  I was simply attempting to make the point that Gardner has done a lot to change his body to become more athletic and ready to play at the NCAA level.  When Dickie Simpkins looks at Gardner in January and gets on Gardner because he weighs 290-when if you look at the guy he's clearly not 290 anymore- I don't think its a fair or intelligent criticism.  I guess the word idiot was a bit strong.  I did not mean to offend the Dickie Simpkins fans out there.  Simply was trying to say that Gardner has worked hard this year to get in shape and expect him to continue to do so.  The comment about the announcers was simply meant to illustrate the change that has already occurred.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2011, 10:54:22 AM »
His HS coach said he was the best shooter on his team.  The only thing that might prevent him from taking jumpers is the fact he can get deep post position anytime he wants and he is deadly when he gets it.  He is going to be a BEAST next year.
All the more reason he should be getting major minutes!!!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2011, 11:33:45 AM »
Stamina is a big problem. He looks exhausted at the FT line
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2011, 12:32:25 PM »
I'm guessing the media guide was prepared before the season.  In my previous post I assumed that you were familiar with the concepts of time and change.  I was simply attempting to make the point that Gardner has done a lot to change his body to become more athletic and ready to play at the NCAA level.  When Dickie Simpkins looks at Gardner in January and gets on Gardner because he weighs 290-when if you look at the guy he's clearly not 290 anymore- I don't think its a fair or intelligent criticism.  I guess the word idiot was a bit strong.  I did not mean to offend the Dickie Simpkins fans out there.  Simply was trying to say that Gardner has worked hard this year to get in shape and expect him to continue to do so.  The comment about the announcers was simply meant to illustrate the change that has already occurred.

You guessed wrong. The special post-season media guide was not only NOT prepared before the year began--it was updated as recently as last week for the North Carolina game:
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/marq/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/mu_eastregional.pdf

While you've been following Gardner all season, do you really believe that any reporter went out and made a pre-season evaluation of his weight on the off chance that he'll be covering that team five months hence in a tournament game, and thus would need to be able to comment on how that player's weight changed? 

Fact:  Gardner was easily the beefiest player on the court for either team.
Fact:  Marquette reported his weight--in a special media guide prepared especially for the tournament--as 290.

I don't think they're "idiots" for taking MU's word.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2011, 07:35:07 PM »
The only thing that might prevent him from taking jumpers is the fact he can get deep post position anytime he wants and he is deadly when he gets it.
I think one of the prerequisites for shooting jumpers is the ability to actually jump, which is another thing that prevents Devante from shooting jumpers.

That being said, he does just fine around the hoop as long as there isn't too much long traffic in there.  He's fun to watch and looks better every time I see him.

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2011, 08:56:30 PM »
I'd really like to see what a line-up with both Gardner and Otule would do defensively offensively.  I could see Buzz using that option later in games if neither are in foul trouble, and they (mostly Gardner) have better conditioning.  If Gardner has an outside shooting touch, he could also be used to force other teams shot-blocking centers out of the lane, if MU wants to run a 5 out offense and really open things up for the "switchables" to attack the rim.

I think with some serious body work Gardner could be a Danny Fortson type player and really be a major impact player at the college level.  I love his game as a freshmen.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2011, 08:58:35 PM »
All the more reason he should be getting major minutes!!!

Yeah Willie, but he killed our recruiting class ranking that you use to judge Buzz.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2011, 09:22:55 PM »
You guessed wrong. The special post-season media guide was not only NOT prepared before the year began--it was updated as recently as last week for the North Carolina game:
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/marq/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/mu_eastregional.pdf

While you've been following Gardner all season, do you really believe that any reporter went out and made a pre-season evaluation of his weight on the off chance that he'll be covering that team five months hence in a tournament game, and thus would need to be able to comment on how that player's weight changed? 

Fact:  Gardner was easily the beefiest player on the court for either team.
Fact:  Marquette reported his weight--in a special media guide prepared especially for the tournament--as 290.

I don't think they're "idiots" for taking MU's word.

My references to Dickie Simpkins could have tipped you off that I was not referring to any tournament announcer but rather to a regular season Big East TV announcer, specifically Dickie Simpkins.  And if all an announcer does to prepare for a game is read a media guide, even if it doesn't make him an idiot, it also does not make him an especiallly good or even minimally prepared announcer.  Thank you for the link to the post-season media guide.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2011, 12:02:39 AM »
I think one of the prerequisites for shooting jumpers is the ability to actually jump, which is another thing that prevents Devante from shooting jumpers.

That being said, he does just fine around the hoop as long as there isn't too much long traffic in there.  He's fun to watch and looks better every time I see him.

I am not sure if most of you watched a really good players in the 60's was Wes Unseld, he could not jump at all
but became All-Pro in the NBA, undersized huge center that did have a nice outside shot that could not jump at
all.  All it does is change the offense, a little bit and maybe have a high/low post game with Crowder.  Buzz's half
court offense was weak against NC, sometimes you need a few more plays to run from a different set.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2011, 06:51:23 AM »

Most sharpshooters barely jump.  Novak only jumped around 6" off the floor....same with Matthews.  Shooting is all about consistency in form.  If you jump around 6" off the ground it is easy for every jump to be within a couple of inches.  If you jump 2 feet off the ground like Dominic, then you will have wild differences in the height you jump each time.  This is why you don't jump for free throws.....you eliminate a superfluous mechanic.  Everyone, when wide open should not jump high,  but big guys can also get away with it when covered.  All of the best big man shooters I can think of barely jumped!

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2011, 09:33:49 AM »
My references to Dickie Simpkins could have tipped you off that I was not referring to any tournament announcer but rather to a regular season Big East TV announcer, specifically Dickie Simpkins.  And if all an announcer does to prepare for a game is read a media guide, even if it doesn't make him an idiot, it also does not make him an especiallly good or even minimally prepared announcer.  Thank you for the link to the post-season media guide.

With all due respect, you didn't reference Simpkins in your first post, and you referred to annoucers in the plural.

I also assumed a post made on 3/26 was in reference to our most recent games.

"Gardner, I think, was listed at 295 when he came in, and idiot announcers continued to say that he was 295 when he clearly wasn't any more."

I guess, however, that I just can't picture this scene on Media Day:  "Coach, on page 3 of your media guide you have Gardner listed at 290.  I've seen him and he doesn't look a pound over 280.  What do you have to say for yourself?"

Give these guys a break--they cover a two new teams every day or two, they're simply not going to go into the level of depth that you apparently think they should regarding a player's weight. 

If MU told them that Gardner was 290, then they're going to say he's 290.

"

feedback