[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: North Dakota nickname battle continues.  (Read 4679 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
North Dakota nickname battle continues.
« on: March 15, 2011, 12:16:23 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6207439

The Governor will sign into law a bill passed by the ND Senate and Assembly that UND must keep the Fighting Sioux nickname.  The University President is saying he will not abide by the new law.

willie warrior

• All American
Re: North Dakota nickname battle continues.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 06:54:31 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6207439

The Governor will sign into law a bill passed by the ND Senate and Assembly that UND must keep the Fighting Sioux nickname.  The University President is saying he will not abide by the new law.
I love the PC controversy. Don't tell me, the University President is a bleeding heart liberal, and believes that his/her principled stand is higher than the law.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 09:30:04 AM »
Interestingly, the Summit League wanted to invite both North Dakota and South Dakota to join.  (They have both NDSU and SDSU already.)  But it was contingent on North Dakota dropping the Fighting Sioux nickname.

In the meantime, UND accepted an invitation to join the Big Sky Conference instead...which is arguably a better deal anyway.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 11:18:01 PM »
Regardless of how I feel about the nickname I'm not really a fan of a governor telling a university what they can and can't do. Should make those small government tea partiers and libertarians cringe.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 01:10:13 AM »
Regardless of how I feel about the nickname I'm not really a fan of a governor telling a university what they can and can't do. Should make those small government tea partiers and libertarians cringe.

Those hippie professors and educators make us cringe more, the PC ones that get all bent out of shape over a nickname.   ;)

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 01:16:03 AM »
I'm surprised you'd even want a native American mascot, those communists who share their land and protect the environment.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 07:59:06 AM »
I love the Fighting Sioux nickname. Wish Fla. State would change theirs to "The Scalping Seminoles". This PC crap has to end somewhere.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 01:36:05 PM »
While I generally agree with you willie, this kind of quote makes me want to puke:

"I can't agree that this bill, and this name, is about student-athletes alone," (State Senator David) Hogue said. "I think it's much more than that ...This is about heritage, and that's where I see this bill. It's preserving that heritage."

Oh please...it's a school nickname.  If you want to do something to preserve North Dakota's heritage, there are dozens of things they could do. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 04:48:32 PM »
I loved the War Chant by the Seminoles as they were Scalping the Fighting Leprechauns on Sunday.

MUinSF

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 06:08:23 PM »
I'm surprised you'd even want a native American mascot, those communists who share their land and protect the environment.
Ha. Well-said, Mr. McC. Why, on a collegiate-sports discussion board would anti-intellectualism become the default? Seriously, enough with the hackneyed crap about hippie professors, PC zealotry, bleeding-heart administrators, et al.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 12:44:54 PM »
Interestingly, the Summit League wanted to invite both North Dakota and South Dakota to join.  (They have both NDSU and SDSU already.)  But it was contingent on North Dakota dropping the Fighting Sioux nickname.

In the meantime, UND accepted an invitation to join the Big Sky Conference instead...which is arguably a better deal anyway.
The Big Sky conference sounds like a Native American reference to me.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 03:20:10 PM »
so in San Fran, anti- bullcrap is considered anti-intellectualism?  interesting.

poopyscoopy

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 07:02:04 PM »
so in San Fran, anti- bullcrap is considered anti-intellectualism?  interesting.

As soon as you saw the SF part of the name, you knew there would be a PC scolding response coming.

It's hilarious how liberals love to say anything that deviates from their "hackneyed" PC "zealotry" is somehow anti-intellectual.  In fact, it's the lefties like MUinSF who are ruled by emotion/feelings and not good old common sense.  Taking some imagined offense at a name that is intended as anything but is hardly intellectual.

DiaperDandy

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 07:25:35 PM »
I love the Fighting Sioux nickname. Wish Fla. State would change theirs to "The Scalping Seminoles". This PC crap has to end somewhere.

HAHAHAHAHAHA  I love it!!!!!

Stuckin1977

• Starter
    • Stuck in 1977
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 02:58:57 PM »

Unfortunately it's not ending anytime soon.  As long as people feel the need to get offended without merit or basis, PC debates will live strong.

feedback