[June 06, 2024, 09:01:17 PM]

Ranking Big East Centers by Its DJOver
[June 06, 2024, 08:28:03 PM]

Incoming freshmen by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 06, 2024, 07:38:04 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by willie warrior
[June 06, 2024, 04:19:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: Marquette University to offer domestic partner benefits  (Read 10357 times)

HoopsMalone

• All American
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Marquette University to offer domestic partner benefits
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 07:41:25 PM »
No I agree with Fr. Wild.    I love that we do the best we can to attract top academic talent, I just hope there aren't any naive kids still out there that think they are going to a Catholic institution when they go to Marquette.   It's Catholic in name and costume only.

It depends upon how you define Catholic.  If by Catholic you mean following everything coming out of Rome strictly, then no, MU is not Catholic in that sense.

There are over a billion of us Catholics in the world.  We are not even close to an homogenous group of people.  It's a bigger question I think of what it means to be Catholic.  It's too bad that there are these divisive issues where Catholics seem to be pretty split.  I am not sure how a Church should function in the 21st century with all this new technology.  

With that being said, I think MU made the right decision from a business perspective and a Jesuit perspective.

poopyscoopy

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 07:41:53 PM »
Poopyscoopy, why cloud you argument with the nickname and abortion.  What upsets you MU offering same sex benefits?  Are you homophobic?  Do you believe gay people are less deserving of these rights?  These are honest questions.

BTW, I gurantee, if you went to MU, at one time or another you were taught by someone who was gay.  Should they all be rounded up, and kicked off campus? 

These are real questions.

Let's see..

--I think homosexuality is immoral.  If that makes me a homophobe, so be it.  I think that word is misused, though.
--I don't think benefits should be for same sex "partners" or unmarried couples.  Too much room for fraud and gaming the system.
--I had a rather militant lesbian who taught an english class.  If you didn't parrot a liberal interpretation/philosophy, you did not get a good grade.  But if you wrote what you knew she wanted to hear, it was all A's.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 07:43:44 PM »
This is great news, bravo Marquette.   Human dignity matters, as does tolerance and having the integrity to demonstrate it.....And this will help attract/retain talent. I'm proud of my Alma mater.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 07:47:47 PM »
Let's see..

But if you wrote what you knew she wanted to hear, it was all A's.

this is true in ANY course where you're required to write, regardless of the professors' political view, race, creed, religion, etc. it always has been true as well

reinko

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 07:49:21 PM »
Let's see..

--I think homosexuality is immoral.  If that makes me a homophobe, so be it.  I think that word is misused, though.
--I don't think benefits should be for same sex "partners" or unmarried couples.  Too much room for fraud and gaming the system.
--I had a rather militant lesbian who taught an english class.  If you didn't parrot a liberal interpretation/philosophy, you did not get a good grade.  But if you wrote what you knew she wanted to hear, it was all A's.

96% of this country defines themselves as "straight".  Yet you are worried about the 4% who might try game the system for fraud.  C'mon.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 07:50:46 PM »
The Jesuits should just cut the charade and become Episcopal.

Pretty soon, you won't be able to tell the difference between MU and another secular school.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Me thinks poopyscoopy is fibbing
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2011, 07:52:23 PM »
Let's see..

Ol’ poopyscoopy writes “fondly” of a “militant lesbian” English teacher he once had, perhaps at Marquette, although he never said for sure.

Ol’ poopyscoopy’s claim: “I had a rather militant lesbian who taught an english class. If you didn’t parrot a liberal interpretation/philosophy, you did not get a good grade. But if you wrote what you knew she wanted to hear, it was all A’s.”

If I were a betting person, I would place a year’s pay on the odds that poopyscoopy made up the militant-lesbian-English-teacher tale. It is just too stupid.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2011, 07:53:30 PM »
Let's see..

I would guess that your professor was not a militant and only wanted to hear things that she agreed with.  She probably just wanted you to back up what you say and demonstrate that you understand the material.  

You cannot assert your beliefs with no backing and think that someone should just accept that in academia and in life.  Your homosexuality is immoral is a perfect example.  There is counter-evidence to that statement that could fill the ocean.  If someone gives you a bad grade or disagrees with you if say something like that, they are not attacking you or pushing an agenda. You shouldn't get points on an English paper for saying something like that.  

You can choose to call that liberal bias, PC, or whatever if you want and therefore dismiss it.  

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2011, 07:53:48 PM »

The church believes homosexuality is a sin only because they believe you shouldn't be having sex until you are married and to procreate.  Since homosexuals can't procreate they shouldn't be having sex or get married.  

If you have had premarital sex then you are committed the same sin as a homosexual and are therefore "immoral."  We should then prevent you from being able to have benefits.  

If you actually study the history of the Catholic Church, the Church isn't exactly known for its moral compass.  

reinko

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2011, 07:54:38 PM »

Pretty soon, you won't be able to tell the difference between MU and another secular school.

Tell that to any Jesuit you see next time you are on campus, and actually mean it.  Really.  It's a dare.

poopyscoopy

• Walk-On
Re: Me thinks poopyscoopy is fibbing
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2011, 07:56:17 PM »
Ol’ poopyscoopy writes “fondly” of a “militant lesbian” English teacher he once had, perhaps at Marquette, although he never said for sure.

Ol’ poopyscoopy’s claim: “I had a rather militant lesbian who taught an english class. If you didn’t parrot a liberal interpretation/philosophy, you did not get a good grade. But if you wrote what you knew she wanted to hear, it was all A’s.”

If I were a betting person, I would place a year’s pay on the odds that poopyscoopy made up the militant-lesbian-English-teacher tale. It is just too stupid.

Not made up at all.  She was VERY prominent in the English Dept.  

I was at MU in the late 80's/early 90's.  I don't know if she's still there, but I think I read her name regarding the recent controversy.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:01:28 PM by poopyscoopy »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2011, 07:58:05 PM »
If you actually study the history of the Catholic Church, the Church isn't exactly known for its moral compass.  

I prefer to say that the Church...any church...is run by human beings and therefore make mistakes.  Most of them try real hard to do the right thing.

I don't get this...if you are not 100% Catholic (whatever that means) you "might as well be secular??"

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2011, 07:58:51 PM »

How do you run a Church with positions that over 1 billion people agree?  The Vatican has a tough job.  

I don't understand why people think that the Church should be the anti-choice/anti-marriage rights club.  If those are the pre-requisites to be Catholic, then the Church is in big trouble going forward.  If we want to have a big church, we can't let those issues divide us.

Marquette did the right thing.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2011, 08:05:56 PM »
It looks like most Catholics would support MU's decision:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/22/new-report-catholics-more_n_839127.html

poopyscoopy

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2011, 08:08:56 PM »
How do you run a Church with positions that over 1 billion people agree?  The Vatican has a tough job.  

I don't understand why people think that the Church should be the anti-choice/anti-marriage rights club.  If those are the pre-requisites to be Catholic, then the Church is in big trouble going forward.  If we want to have a big church, we can't let those issues divide us.

Marquette did the right thing.

The Catholic church would be in even bigger trouble if it softened it's pro-life/anti-abortion stance.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2011, 08:28:21 PM »
The Catholic church would be in even bigger trouble if it softened it's pro-life/anti-abortion stance.

Actually the data does not agree with this.  http://www.catholicsforchoice.org/topics/catholicsandchoice/documents/Factstellthestoryweb.pdf

The anti-choice voice is very loud among Catholics.  I don't envy the Vatican's position here.  I am not sure what the best position for them to take is.  However, most Catholics do support abortion and Catholic women have abortions at the same rate as the public at large.  That is just the facts, not my opinion. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2011, 08:31:36 PM »
Recognizing that everyone is entitled to the same basic rights and protections regardless of lifestyle choices is hardly the same as endorsing those lifestyle choices. Fairness and decency to all is not an anti-Catholic concept.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:34:14 PM by Lennys Tap »

ROTC90

• Walk-On
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2011, 08:44:36 PM »
The Catechism states that homosexuality is disordered and gravely immoral.
MU has chosen for business reasons (30 pieces of silver) to support those who publicly sin.
Thats participating in their sin, not affirming any rights. Homomarriage is against natural law.

MU should state that gay/lesbians shouldn't be beat up/spat upon and that they have the same inherent dignity given to them fromm our same Creator.  Same as any of us.  But we should't support the action.

So tell me, if I enter a similar contract with three other adults, why wouldn't MU support that lifestyle?
What about their  dignity? What if it where 12 people?  I guess it depends on how the wind blows.
Nice

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2011, 08:45:19 PM »
Actually the data does not agree with this.  http://www.catholicsforchoice.org/topics/catholicsandchoice/documents/Factstellthestoryweb.pdf

The anti-choice voice is very loud among Catholics.  I don't envy the Vatican's position here.  I am not sure what the best position for them to take is.  However, most Catholics do support abortion and Catholic women have abortions at the same rate as the public at large.  That is just the facts, not my opinion.  

I wouldn't believe everything you read.  I've got a poll that says most Americans identify themselves pro -life (51%) than pro-choice (42%) for the first time.    Polls and poll questions can be very misleading.

I think most human beings do not "support abortion".

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2011, 08:53:16 PM »

So tell me, if I enter a similar contract with three other adults, why wouldn't MU support that lifestyle?
What about their  dignity? What if it where 12 people?  I guess it depends on how the wind blows.
Nice

Informal fallacy

Nice

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2011, 08:54:34 PM »
I wouldn't believe everything you read.  I've got a poll that says most Americans identify themselves pro -life (51%) than pro-choice (42%) for the first time.    Polls and poll questions can be very misleading.

I think most human beings do not "support abortion".

No one says:  "I hope you have an abortion to really round out your life and make it complete."

I don't know anyone who wants an abortion to ever happen.  It is not a good thing.  However, most people and Catholics think it should be legal.

However, most people believe it should be legal in the most recent poll I could find: http://washingtonindependent.com/106308/poll-more-americans-support-legalizing-abortion-in-most-cases-than-did-a-year-ago

I see your recent dip in the data.  However, I was not talking about the American public. I was talking about Catholic support.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2011, 08:55:51 PM »
The Catechism states that homosexuality is disordered and gravely immoral.
MU has chosen for business reasons (30 pieces of silver) to support those who publicly sin.
Thats participating in their sin, not affirming any rights. Homomarriage is against natural law.

I am not sure I have met a Catholic who follows the Catechism exactly.  MU certainly does not now, nor ever has.

ROTC90

• Walk-On

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2011, 09:03:38 PM »
Formal dodge

You don't get the difference between two committed partners expressing their commitment and multiple people forming some sort of union?

RyanConroy

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2011, 09:08:51 PM »
Alumni that oppose this move with such aggression make me disgusted and embarrassed in parts of the tradition of Marquette.

Particularly when referencing the catechism of the Catholic Church and disregarding the teachings of the foundation of Christianity, The New Testament. Anybody that argues that Jesus would discriminate against anybody is no Christian.

Regarding political correctness, grow up and accept it. The world progresses, try to keep up.

feedback