[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Shaka on Thanasis' podcast by MarquetteMike1977
[June 14, 2024, 10:07:57 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by tower912
[June 14, 2024, 07:44:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Some insight into OU's search from their AD  (Read 4906 times)

MarquetteFan94

• All American
Re: Some insight into OU's search from their AD
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 03:43:54 PM »
talk about freaking out... There is no new information in this article...I don't understand how the AD seems over confident

come on people we are play UNC in the sweet 16 tomorrow....

Buzz is staying.  Oklahoma may be a great school, but they are in a rebuilding phase and looking a potential NCAA sanctions.

I am getting sick of these posts and people freaking out every day a new article comes out.
There's a big difference between some hack writer's opinion from Tulsa versus direct quotes from the OU AD....not sure we've seen that before.

I agree with you though....I'm definitely in the Buzz is staying camp.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 03:48:04 PM »
talk about freaking out... There is no new information in this article...I don't understand how the AD seems over confident

+1

some people are making is ambiguous comments out to be much more than what he said. They are looking and dont want to give themselves some self-imposed deadline. some of their candidates are still coaching and they want to respect the process. I dont get where people are finding him to be over confident.

The author of the story was the one that threw out buzz as the main candidate (plus two other 'peripherals')... not the AD.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 03:50:42 PM »
Beyond Buzz, the next most likely candidates for OU, actually seem to be Terry Evans, Lon Kruger of UNLV, and possibly Cuomo Martin, all of whom are currently not playing.

Accordingly, the ADs "waiting for a candidate to be available" reference is not referring to Colorado, or Wichita state coaches(as the author guesses) , and, regretably, this is an allusion to Buzz, only.

The reading between the lines ,here, is little more than Buzz is on their radar, and they hope to formalize a direct contact with him, after play is over. This is not a surprise to anyone--it is expected.

Guesses, and speculations, beyond this arent supported by anything, in this article. You'll  drive yourself crazy guessing beyond the facts, and inferences, that are actually in front of you.

So, yes, its likely OU will contact Buzz, after play concludes, and if he or OU says no they will move on to Terry Evans, Lon Kruger of UNLV, and possibly Cuomo Martin. . Someone will fill the job, battle to improve facilities, and to try to build recruiting to have OU reach  the level of UT, and Kansas, the class of the Big 12. Its a tough undertaking, just ask TC, in the B10--lol.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 03:52:34 PM »

come on people we are play UNC in the sweet 16 tomorrow....

Buzz is staying.  Oklahoma may be a great school, but they are in a rebuilding phase and looking a potential NCAA sanctions.

I am getting sick of these posts and people freaking out every day a new article comes out.

I think you're right.  All this Buzz to Eastern Oklahoma State Missouri Polytechnic is starting to distract the members of this message board in their focus on beating the members of the UNC message board in the sweet 16.

Maintain Focus!!!
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

[Mu]EngiNerd

• Starter
  • BS08 MS10
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 03:53:43 PM »
alright what new information came out of this? I don't understand why everyone has their panties in twist, i didn't see a single quote in that article which stated, buzz is their man, buzz has already signed with them, and buzz wants to be at Oklahoma.

Of course the AD is going to put a positive spin on anything and say there are time frames associated with finding the right coach...

Do we really feel Oklahoma is a better program than marquette?  I sure as hell don't.  Just because they are a state school doesn't mean they are a better basketball school.

All large state school feel like they can pluck away any coach from a considered mid major because of their supposed high quality name and stature.

One Nerd to Rule them All - Bears - Blackhawks - Bulls - Cubs - Golden Eagles

TJ

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 04:30:06 PM »
If Buzz does move on this year, one of the first people I call is the VCU AD to get permission to at least discuss what Shaka Smart thinks about the Marquette job.  

He's an intelligent coach who at least to me, has the whole package and maybe the most aspect about him is that he went to school at Oregon High School in the Madison area and is from Fitchburg, Wisconsin.

He's been under some good coaches like Oliver Purnell, Billy Donovan and most of Brad Brownell's top players at Clemson were recruited when Smart was the recruiting coordinator.  His college coach at Kenyon (OH) College was Bill Brown who's been a successful D3 school and he also assisted Keith Dambrot at Akron.  Gets rave reviews from all of his former employers and still has fans in the Madison area.  Is about as close to Buzz in energy, recruiting ability and playing style as I have found right now and it doesn't hurt his resume' that they beat Georgetown and Purdue last weekend.
Sure, if you want to look for a coach again in 3-5 years.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2011, 04:46:29 PM »
Sure, if you want to look for a coach again in 3-5 years.

Please explain.  Are you saying he'll be looking elsewhere for a job in 3-5 years or won't be able to coach in the Big East?

I brought Smart's name up because he's a Wisconsin native and may be more inclined to view Marquette as a destination job than others.  

Have you watched his teams play?  Have you seen the players that he's signed in recruiting?  Have you watched any video of him addressing the media and his players?  Did you read the Wisconsin State Journal article about him yesterday?

I am the type who doesn't get overly impressed with coach speak and I can be a very pessimistic type as far as coaches and recruits and I couldn't find any ghosts in the guys closet.  He's gotten nothing but solid reviews from people who follow college basketball from what I can find.  He has tremendous confidence without being overly cocky.  He appears to be able to relate to everyone he comes in contact with and I haven't seen any indications where he's had a ton of player turnover in players or coaching staff to this point.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

TJ

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 01:12:02 AM »
Please explain.  Are you saying he'll be looking elsewhere for a job in 3-5 years or won't be able to coach in the Big East?

I brought Smart's name up because he's a Wisconsin native and may be more inclined to view Marquette as a destination job than others.  

Have you watched his teams play?  Have you seen the players that he's signed in recruiting?  Have you watched any video of him addressing the media and his players?  Did you read the Wisconsin State Journal article about him yesterday?

I am the type who doesn't get overly impressed with coach speak and I can be a very pessimistic type as far as coaches and recruits and I couldn't find any ghosts in the guys closet.  He's gotten nothing but solid reviews from people who follow college basketball from what I can find.  He has tremendous confidence without being overly cocky.  He appears to be able to relate to everyone he comes in contact with and I haven't seen any indications where he's had a ton of player turnover in players or coaching staff to this point.
Sorry, didn't see this until now, but my thought was that he would jump ship, not that he would fail.

He's the hot young up and coming coach this year.  If he's willing to leave VCU when something better comes along, why wouldn't he be willing to leave MU when something better comes along?  Other than that feeling, I don't have anything bad to say about the guy.  I haven't watched VCU except the 3 tournament games, but I wasn't really questioning his coaching ability either.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 08:22:41 AM »
Sorry, didn't see this until now, but my thought was that he would jump ship, not that he would fail.

He's the hot young up and coming coach this year.  If he's willing to leave VCU when something better comes along, why wouldn't he be willing to leave MU when something better comes along?  Other than that feeling, I don't have anything bad to say about the guy.  I haven't watched VCU except the 3 tournament games, but I wasn't really questioning his coaching ability either.

He might jump ship, but if all the concern about losing Buzz to OU is geography, then why would we expect Smart to jump ship?  It would be back home for Smart as well.

Now, I really don't know if Smart or Buzz are that hungry to get home, but I can see the logic in that.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 08:37:36 AM »
He might jump ship, but if all the concern about losing Buzz to OU is geography, then why would we expect Smart to jump ship?  It would be back home for Smart as well.

Now, I really don't know if Smart or Buzz are that hungry to get home, but I can see the logic in that.
In theory, MU brought Buzz in and gave him a chance when he was in the complete opposite situation as Smart.  In theory, that could have generated some loyalty and staying power.  I hope it pans out, and I think it will at least for this year.

Smart would have none of that motivation, no binding loyalty to MU except they offered him a lot of money and maybe it's close to home.  He would have no reason to think twice about leaving if something else came along.

Now that's not to say I want Buzz to feel like an indentured servant - I want him to want to be here.  But I think the start of his MU career is the driving force behind him (hopefully) wanting to be here.