Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz Addresses His Future ... (sort of)  (Read 8162 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Buzz Addresses His Future ... (sort of)
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 11:50:41 PM »
Loyalty has its privileges.

And that's more of a reason for Buzz to stay. :)
SS Marquette

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 12:45:27 AM »
How are the chicks down under?

As always, lotsa hots.  Even my client (a distribution center, no less) has got way more talent that the average D.C. you see in the U.S.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 03:58:54 AM »
How long ago was it that he remarked about the "snow being above the car door" phenomenon? That's the only time he has said anything to make me think we would take his talents elsewhere.

He'll stay. And we all will be the better for it

That was Buzz just talking.

Everybody thinks Buzz came to Milwaukee straight from Texas.  Not true.  Since 1999 Buzz has only lived in Texas two years, 2004 to 2006 when he was an assistant under Billy G at A&M.

Buzz also spent four years as an assistant at Colorado State in Fort Collins  from 2000 to 2004

Fort Collins Snow Totals

2001 = 56 inches
2002 = 44 inches
2003 = 71 inches
2004 = 29 inches

Milwaukee Snow Totals

2008 (assistant) = 58 inches
2009 = 99 inches (second most ever behind 1892)
2010 = 38 inches
This year = 60+ inches

Buzz has seen a lot of snow before February of this year.  He's even saw snow piled to his car door window in Fort Collins (2003).

Buzz was just doing what all people from Milwaukee do in February and March, complain about the weather.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:01:42 AM by AnotherMU84 »

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 08:37:22 AM »
Would Buzz really leave?

He left a head coaching job to be an assistant at a Basketball only institution in the Big East. After a year, he somehow gets the head coaching job. Even with his record, has Buzz' personality changed over the three years to believe that he is the most coveted name in the coaching world? If everything Buzz has said or shown in all of the 'insider' videos is true, Buzz has more respect/loyalty for the people that gave him his chance than to leave after 3 seasons to go rebuild or start over at another institution.

He has a nice situation at MU. He doesnt have unrealistic expectations put on him like he would at, for speculation, Mizzou or Tennessee. Plus, he has the key to the MU program and all of its assets. Why would you leave that- for money? if that is what he wants... he is gonna get it from Marquette.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

TJ

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 08:39:16 AM »
Would Buzz really leave?

He left a head coaching job to be an assistant at a Basketball only institution in the Big East. After a year, he somehow gets the head coaching job. Even with his record, has Buzz' personality changed over the three years to believe that he is the most coveted name in the coaching world? If everything Buzz has said or shown in all of the 'insider' videos is true, Buzz has more respect/loyalty for the people that gave him his chance than to leave after 3 seasons to go rebuild or start over at another institution.

He has a nice situation at MU. He doesnt have unrealistic expectations put on him like he would at, for speculation, Mizzou or Tennessee. Plus, he has the key to the MU program and all of its assets. Why would you leave that- for money? if that is what he wants... he is gonna get it from Marquette.
+1

muchalktalk

• Walk-On
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 12:20:56 PM »
If you are being honest and assuming you have family and friends back home that you care about, would you turn down a chance to go home.  He would be coaching at a school which would be no worse than Marquette.

There is a big difference between living by family and friends and making trips home to see them.  As someone who does not live close to home, I would not blame Buzz at all.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2011, 12:43:40 PM »
If you are being honest and assuming you have family and friends back home that you care about, would you turn down a chance to go home.  He would be coaching at a school which would be no worse than Marquette.

There is a big difference between living by family and friends and making trips home to see them.  As someone who does not live close to home, I would not blame Buzz at all.

He would still be hundreds of miles away from "home"  If you were from Milwaukee, would you move to Minneapolis to get closer to home?  It about the same distance.

Besides, he now makes enough that Corey and the kids can fly private now to see family back in Texas.  They would have to do the same in Norman, the flight would be an hour shorter.

Besides, define "home."  Buzz has four kids, they think home is Mequon, not Texas.  They have been their 4 years.  To them that is home.  So Buzz would be taking them from their home to go somewhere that is not their home.

I think what we are all missing is Buzz's Texas connections.  Does he believe he can lure top Texas talent to Norman but cannot get them to jump to Milwaukee?  Texas basketball talent is about as rich as anywhere in the nation.  Further, does Buzz think getting top kids to Milwaukee is a long-term problem.  If he answers these questions as yes, he should leave.

I think the answer is no.  What makes Mich State or Syracuse, or Columbus Ohio or Durham NC special.  If you were a graduating senior from MU and offered a position in any of these cities, would you jump simply because they are better palces than Milwaukee?  No.  What makes them special for Basketball is the coach of these programs.

Buzz can stay and make Milwaukee as special as Columbus or Bloomington.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2011, 12:47:24 PM »
He would still be hundreds of miles away from "home"  If you were from Milwaukee, would you move to Minneapolis to get closer to home?  It about the same distance.

Besides, he now makes enough that Corey and the kids can fly private now to see family back in Texas.  They would have to do the same in Norman, the flight would be an hour shorter.

Besides, define "home."  Buzz has four kids, they think home is Mequon, not Texas.  They have been their 4 years.  To them that is home.  So Buzz would be taking them from their home to go somewhere that is not their home.

I think what we are all missing is Buzz's Texas connections.  Does he believe he can lure top Texas talent to Norman but cannot get them to jump to Milwaukee?  Texas basketball talent is about as rich as anywhere in the nation.  Further, does Buzz think getting top kids to Milwaukee is a long-term problem.  If he answers these questions as yes, he should leave.

I think the answer is no.  What makes Mich State or Syracuse, or Columbus Ohio or Durham NC special.  If you were a graduating senior from MU and offered a position in any of these cities, would you jump simply because they are better palces than Milwaukee?  No.  What makes them special for Basketball is the coach of these programs.

Well said.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
Well said.
StillAWarrior, inspirational and well written.  Maybe you can sit in on a meeting between the AD and Buzz  :)

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2011, 12:59:21 PM »
StillAWarrior, inspirational and well written.  Maybe you can sit in on a meeting between the AD and Buzz  :)

Thanks, I wish I'd written it...but it was AnotherMU84.  I just quoted it and agreed with it.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2011, 02:05:11 PM »
Thanks, I wish I'd written it...but it was AnotherMU84.  I just quoted it and agreed with it.
I think he was referring to your "well said".  Truer words were never spoken.

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2011, 02:14:49 PM »

Nicely said.  Furthermore, these "elite" programs weren't always elite.  It started with the right coach who was committed to the program long term (10+ years) and had the ability to recruit top level talent consistently.  Any program that is in a major conference and has the resources (facilities, money) has the ability to be "elite".   Marquette is no different.  All these other reasons about the weather, no football, the city, too tough of competition, etc., are just convenient excuses when coaches leave or the program doesn’t have success.   To steal a line from McCarthy …”{Green Bay} Marquette is nobody’s underdog.”  

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2011, 02:27:04 PM »
I am very nervous about Buzz leaving.  It seems to me, if Buzz really "wants the focus to be on our team", all he has to say is "I'll be at Marquette as long as they'll have me" that's it, end of story, no more questions, focus back on our team.  For some reason he has chosen not to say that and that concerns me.

Same scenario I posed to Rosiak last week.  He dodged the question just like Buzz did.  Very uncharacteristic for TR to completely skirt a question.

IMO: Rosiak knows what's going on, he just can't/won't say.  If so, I think this bodes well for Marquette.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2011, 02:29:24 PM »
Nicely said.  Furthermore, these "elite" programs weren't always elite.  It started with the right coach who was committed to the program long term (10+ years) and had the ability to recruit top level talent consistently.  Any program that is in a major conference and has the resources (facilities, money) has the ability to be "elite".   Marquette is no different.  All these other reasons about the weather, no football, the city, too tough of competition, etc., are just convenient excuses when coaches leave or the program doesn’t have success.   To steal a line from McCarthy …”{Green Bay} Marquette is nobody’s underdog.”  
Exactly.  What was Arizona before Lute?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2011, 02:35:07 PM »

If you take words out of this equation his track record shows he left a school after one year before fulfilling his contract.  If he leaves after this season I don't want to hear complaining from us because he did the same thing to UNO, to improve his odds at success,  and we had no problem with it.   We knew from his history, not his words, that this was a possibility.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2011, 02:41:26 PM »
If you take words out of this equation his track record shows he left a school after one year before fulfilling his contract.  If he leaves after this season I don't want to hear complaining from us because he did the same thing to UNO, to improve his odds at success,  and we had no problem with it.   We knew from his history, not his words, that this was a possibility.
I'll be complaining.  UNO was a vastly different situation in which he claims that the university didn't hold up their end of the bargain.  That cannot be said for Marquette I hope.  UNO's athletics were crumbling & headed on a clear path out of D-I.  Simply not the same as the current situation.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2011, 05:13:22 PM »
I know what we can do to help keep Buzz at MU... lets connect a texas style smoke house restaurant to the Al. Buzz can get his fix of 'home cooking' without having to travel to the unmentionable part of MKE.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2011, 10:35:53 PM »
Fort Collins Snow Totals

2001 = 56 inches
2002 = 44 inches
2003 = 71 inches
2004 = 29 inches

No offense, but you clearly haven't spent a lot of time in the Colorado front range.  Yes, we can get a lot of snow, but usually it all melts within a week because of the dry conditions and large % of sunny days which cause temps to get above freezing during the day (in the mountains is different, much cooler).  However, it's NOTHING like the permafrost that Wisconsin and Chicago get.   

/sorry to front rangers if I crushed the myth that it's always cold and snowy out here.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2011, 10:40:24 PM »
No offense, but you clearly haven't spent a lot of time in the Colorado front range.  Yes, we can get a lot of snow, but usually it all melts within a week because of the dry conditions and large % of sunny days which cause temps to get above freezing during the day (in the mountains is different, much cooler).  However, it's NOTHING like the permafrost that Wisconsin and Chicago get.   

/sorry to front rangers if I crushed the myth that it's always cold and snowy out here.

I grew up in SW Colorado -- in the mountains. By far the most wonderful climate I've ever lived in (both winter and summer).

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2011, 11:00:43 PM »
I grew up in SW Colorado -- in the mountains. By far the most wonderful climate I've ever lived in (both winter and summer).

Shhh :)  Where in SW?  I live just north of Boulder, but would love to eventually get to the Ouray area.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2011, 11:07:46 PM »
Shhh :)  Where in SW?  I live just north of Boulder, but would love to eventually get to the Ouray area.

Durango