[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Buzz a hit on the big stage once again  (Read 10288 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Buzz a hit on the big stage once again
« on: March 19, 2011, 05:00:05 PM »
Buzz a hit on the big stage once again

Cleveland -- His voice wasn't a heck of a lot better than it was last night following MU's 66-55 win over Xavier at Quicken Loans Arena.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/118302829.html

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Buzz a hit on the big stage once again
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 05:17:28 PM »
Wow, I don't read all of TR's blogs, but this one's worth it.  For those that don't want to read the whole thing, the last 3 paragraphs are directly related to Marquette, and things that have been discussed here...

"Only God could author something of that magnitude, and I tell our kids, I've told everybody, I'm living the dream 1,075 days into being the head coach at Marquette, bigger than any I've ever had as a kid. And I'm unbelievably humbled and grateful for the opportunity.

"But I don't know what the right adjective would be to describe what I thought or what my dreams were. I just knew that the only chance I had as a non-player, as no one that was connected to anybody associated with anybody in college athletics, was to wake up early, be very hard and diligent and effective and efficient in my work, to always tell the truth and to always try to treat people the right way.

"And that's not a secret. And that's just kind of how it's played out. And I just wanted to be the head coach at Navarro some day. I never thought that the day I would be hired as the head coach at Marquette that I would hire the guy that I worked for at Navarro, and he's arrived here somewhere. He was 76 years old. He was a college coach for 50 years. He's not Gene Keady at Purdue, and I'm not Steve Lavin at St. John's, but the stories are similar. It's just we're from the country, and it's worked out the way that it has."

(emphasis mine)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 05:27:49 PM »
I'll never get sick of that story.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 05:31:48 PM »
That's a scary good read.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 05:34:13 PM »
Incredible read.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 05:38:31 PM »
That was fantastic.  Read the link to the AP transcript of the entire press conference too.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 05:41:33 PM »
That was fantastic.  Read the link to the AP transcript of the entire press conference too.

Agreed, if you have time - worth going through all of Jimmy, DJO, Jae, and Buzz's answers.

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 05:43:08 PM »
Does anyone have a video link?  Buzz's voice makes the story that much better

MUBalla23

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 05:43:32 PM »
does this address the coaching rumors? if so for the good or bad for us?

chren21

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 05:45:56 PM »
Does anyone have a video link?  Buzz's voice makes the story that much better

There is an MP3 podcast link on gomarquette.com...  Have not listened to it but it is labeled buzz press confrence.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 05:54:26 PM by chren21 »

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 05:48:59 PM »
thanks

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 05:51:47 PM »
Sports has brought the world some incredible, genuine characters with incredible genuine stories, and Buzz is the latest.  Man that's good stuff.
No Finish Line

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 07:28:23 PM »
Somewhere, there is a blogger that none of us has ever heard of preparing a scathing piece about Buzz being too long winded and making HIM (the blogger) miss a deadline.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 08:07:50 PM »
I saw a video of it on syracuse's website.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 09:20:19 PM »
I saw a video of it on syracuse's website.

link?

JoBo2756

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 10:23:44 PM »
Wow. I just watched the whole interview, and it says a TON about who Buzz is.

From his references to Marquette, his team, his recruiting it actually convinces me that he is staying. He says "To be honest, I should not be coaching at Marquette..." referring to how the school gave him a huge opportunity. That is still very much in his mind.

I feel good after watching the video about him staying. Of course, like most on this forum, I have no idea what I'm talking about... ;)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 11:34:17 PM »
Wow. I just watched the whole interview, and it says a TON about who Buzz is.

From his references to Marquette, his team, his recruiting it actually convinces me that he is staying. He says "To be honest, I should not be coaching at Marquette..." referring to how the school gave him a huge opportunity. That is still very much in his mind.

I feel good after watching the video about him staying. Of course, like most on this forum, I have no idea what I'm talking about... ;)

+1,000,000
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2011, 11:49:16 PM »
MU gave a nobody a great gift called coaching 3 years ago for a Big East team.  I am not
saying Buzz will not leave MU sometime in the future, but I think it is to early in his coaching
life to leave MU at this time.  MU has been way to good to him, four years ago he was out
of a job or left a bad situation at NO.  This has to be has homer says, "I am living a dream"
Buzz should feel the same way.  Sure recruiting at MU is no picnic, but Buzz out works coaches
for solid players.  The 3 kids maybe were not on his radar to begin with, but got 3 solid kids for
next year, add Wilson, and the program looks solid for a few more years!  Money wise, MU has
what it takes.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 12:14:09 AM »
This presser made me just love Buzz that much more.

What a gem. Hope he is ours for a long time.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 12:20:24 AM »
Shame on me for treating this humble man so badly!

Three words entered my mind while reading the transcript on Rosiak's blog:

genuine

Big Fish (as in, the tall tales you'd hear but later dismiss...only to find out a lot of truth in them)
SS Marquette

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 12:22:43 AM »
Love his line about recruiting:  I like players who order their food with a number.

That sounded like the 21st century/Buzz version of Al. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 12:31:06 AM »
Love his line about recruiting:  I like players who order their food with a number.

I kept thinking of Al throughout this whole press conference. The kinds of guys he recruits. The stories and one liners.

Of course, Al liked to be arrogant when he went off on tangents, and Buzz tries to play humble. But I feel like they are two sides of the same coin.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 12:32:43 AM »
First article I've seen based on the press conference.  And while I feel they understood the points, it hardly seems complimentary...

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2011/03/poliquin_marquette_coach_buzz.html

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 12:35:26 AM »
Love his line about recruiting:  I like players who order their food with a number.

Exactly what I thought.  "I'd like a number 2, combo meal number 2."

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself, but imagine that Buzz Williams leads MU to a National Championship...and oh...let's say Vander Blue is the star of the team.  ComboMealNumber2.com could be the new CrackedSidewalks!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 12:36:38 AM »
I don't have a problem with the article. Its a Syracuse paper afterall...

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2011, 12:47:16 AM »
Exactly what I thought.  "I'd like a number 2, combo meal number 2."

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself, but imagine that Buzz Williams leads MU to a National Championship...and oh...let's say Vander Blue is the star of the team.  ComboMealNumber2.com could be the new CrackedSidewalks!

ComboMeALNumber2.com

I can dig it! Blending the old with the new! lol

I kept thinking of Al throughout this whole press conference. The kinds of guys he recruits. The stories and one liners.

Of course, Al liked to be arrogant when he went off on tangents, and Buzz tries to play humble. But I feel like they are two sides of the same coin.

When I heard Jimmah say that Buzz was big talking about life and wanted to make sure they became the best fathers, husbands they could be...that resonated AL and how he pushed his players to prepare for life AFTER basketball.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 01:03:21 AM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2011, 12:52:34 AM »
BTW, when Buzz said, "Coach McGuire, Digger  Phelps, and one other one, are the only three coaches never to have coached their entire career and never been a part of a league."

Who was that "other one"?
SS Marquette

JoBo2756

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2011, 01:07:28 AM »
I just read the Post-Standard article. I didn't even catch the "burger game" reference (McDonald's All-American) game.

Buzz is too funny. What a peculiar guy.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2011, 01:07:44 AM »
BTW, when Buzz said, "Coach McGuire, Digger  Phelps, and one other one, are the only three coaches never to have coached their entire career and never been a part of a league."

Who was that "other one"?

Don Donaher?  Ray Meyer?

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 01:15:06 AM »
First article I've seen based on the press conference.  And while I feel they understood the points, it hardly seems complimentary...

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2011/03/poliquin_marquette_coach_buzz.html

I don't know sounded like the writer had lots of respect for Buzz...in essence, don't let his looks fool you.....his team will be ready to play.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2011, 04:48:06 AM »

I think the guy really liked Buzz.  Like TexasWarrior said I think the point was that people should get to know the guy and not just base their opinion of him on his looks.

reinko

• All American

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2011, 06:24:08 AM »
I'll tell you one thing, if he leaves after giving *that* presser, he's the biggest phony on the face of the earth.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2011, 07:23:12 AM »
On the one hand, these articles have got to make the haters teeth grind.    "High character"?    "Roster left in tatters"?     On the other hand, Oklahoma has got to be reading these articles and be drooling in anticipation.      Along with the Cracked Sidewalks comparitive analysis of other coaches first 3 years records, it is no surprise that other programs are sniffing around.   I liked Crean and appreciated all he did while he was here.    We traded up.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2011, 07:55:31 AM »
I'll tell you one thing, if he leaves after giving *that* presser, he's the biggest phony on the face of the earth.

Why? What did he say that would make you say that? He is happy to be at MU. I never heard the part where he said that he would only be happy at MU, or that he feels he has reached the pinnacle of his career.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2011, 08:21:45 AM »
I just wonder if 30 years from now we'll need to put up a second statue, mostly because of what Buzz is as a man.  He'll say something like "It's okay that it's outside in the elements.  The birds need someplace to crap and some bronze of big old me is just fine".

We've waited a generation for Al's replacement.  Maybe we've found him.

leglegle

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2011, 08:37:09 AM »
My favorite quote from the Bob Ryan story "spoiled kids really struggle dealing with me.". We've really seen evidence of that the last couple of years.

g0warriors1

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2011, 09:35:57 AM »
I hate to have to qualify my statement, but I know if i dont i will be called a Buzz/MU hater by all people on here, so here it goes.

I have never been a Buzz hater, love him to death, hope he stays. BUT, why would he decide to go on a long rambling answer about himself and HIS story at the NCAA press conference. it was a very simple question that nowhere inquired about his life story. He slightly contradicts himself because if anyone saw his press conference in Milwaukee before they left, he was asked about his coaching "situation," and he responded by saying "i do my job you do yours, but i hope the attention is on our kids." So why go on and on and on about himself at the podium??? i really hope its not to put your name out there Buzz, hope he stays.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2011, 09:44:49 AM »
I just wonder if 30 years from now we'll need to put up a second statue, mostly because of what Buzz is as a man.  He'll say something like "It's okay that it's outside in the elements.  The birds need someplace to crap and some bronze of big old me is just fine".

We've waited a generation for Al's replacement.  Maybe we've found him.

I think at that point it should be third statue. I think Hank should get one.

As for why he would give that rambling answer, i think thats just Buzz. He always rambles on and sometimes doesn't answer the question. That's why i think his answer to Rosiak awhile ago wasn't as much a dodge as he may just not know how to answwer the question while he thinks an article should be about the team playing Xavier. Heck, if he does calculate his answers, maybe he was showing MU fans his humble beginnings and how much he values being MU's coach.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2011, 09:52:56 AM »
Didn't mean to slight Coach Raymonds, a fine man absolutely.

NoCheese

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2011, 10:00:27 AM »
Bob Ryan picked up on it and has a small piece in the Boston Globe this morning....

Persistent Williams refused to buzz off
http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens_basketball/articles/2011/03/20/persistent_williams_refused_to_buzz_off/?p1=Well_Sports_links

"Up there in that coaches’ Sky Box In The Sky, I can see Al McGuire hoisting a cold one for this guy."

Goose

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2011, 10:46:03 AM »
Great read. I do hope all of those on here that thought the hire at the time was brilliant heard that Buzz acknowledged he probably should not have been given the job. He proved he was D1 coach and that rocks. But anyone who questioned the hire was not alone. All that said, kick some ass today Buzz.