[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: I think Cottingham should tell Buzz to take a hike...  (Read 23657 times)

jt92

• Starter
I think Cottingham should tell Buzz to take a hike...
« on: March 15, 2011, 07:49:36 PM »
before Friday's game if he is not committed to sticking around.  Enough of this tip-toeing around the issue. It's a major distraction.  MU pours more money into their basketball program than any in the Big East...that's what you call committment, if Buzz can't shut everyone up by saying that he is here for the long term then Mr. C. should pull the plug now.  I am sick of this BS.  What else do you want Buzz?   One thing is for certain another coach wouldn't blow an 18 point lead with under 6 to play. 

I am sorry...every year I get excited for the NCAA's only to have it tempered by a coach putting feelers out for his next job rather than getting his team ready to play.     

Skitch

• All American
Re: I think Cottingham should tell Buzz to take a hike...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 07:53:49 PM »
I don't think that two days before the tournament Buzz needs to comment one way or the other.  As far as we know is it him that is putting this all out there?  No, its Andy Katz and Doug Gotlieb and the such.  Let them do what they're supposed to do which is what they're doing and let Buzz do what he needs to do which is getting his team ready for Friday.  The fact that some fans feel like we deserve some kind of constant reassurance amazes me.

groove

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 07:55:01 PM »
Yeah got to love to hear buzz telling his players before the X game. Play hard for me so I can get more money thru an extention or new job. Win one for me fellas so I can leave ya.

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 07:57:54 PM »

I am sorry...every year I get excited for the NCAA's only to have it tempered by a coach putting feelers out for his next job rather than getting his team ready to play.

Since you must know Buzz well enough to know that he's "putting feelers out for his next job" instead of focusing on getting his players ready to play Friday, why waste everyone's time with this post and just tell us what his plans are given all your inside knowledge.

VanderBabyBlue

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 08:00:05 PM »
He LOVES his players, but he REALLY LOVES $$$.

People will panic, but we'll be better for it in the long run.  Bring in a good bench coach this time please.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 08:16:45 PM »
Is this supposed to be in teal? Is Buzz in control of what every college basketball pundit says about his future? What a stupid thread.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 08:18:56 PM »
Remind me never to go hunting with jt92.....you got one itchy trigger finger.

VanderBabyBlue

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 08:22:08 PM »
Is this supposed to be in teal? Is Buzz in control of what every college basketball pundit says about his future? What a stupid thread.

My post should be in a very dark teal for now, but then changed to black if he leaves.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 08:23:05 PM »
I think Cottingham should tell Buzz to take a hike...

...to your house and tell you to calm down! lol
SS Marquette

jt92

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 08:26:16 PM »
I don't need reassurance but the ones who do are potential recruits.  They want stability... they want to know that the coach that recruited them is going to be around for their 4 years.  Don't think for a second that Bo Cryan isn't going to pounce on this by telling recruits that Buzz isn't committed to MU.  Fans who don't think coaching stability plays a role in recruiting is what amazes me.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 08:28:46 PM »
He LOVES his players, but he REALLY LOVES $$$.

People will panic, but we'll be better for it in the long run.  Bring in a good bench coach this time please.

How would we be better? If you want to cement MU as a training ground, have at it. He leaves and it sucks for the program.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 08:31:14 PM »
And I think people worrying about this and clogging the forums with it should take a break until after the tournament. Focus on the game. It's the best time of year for college basketball fans

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 08:32:49 PM »
If Cottingham finds out there is any truth to "feelers" being put out, I would have no problem with him firing Buzz Williams. And I like Buzz.

jt92

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 08:33:44 PM »
All he has to do is say "I'm not going anywhere I am committed to MU."  That's it.  He dances around the question.  This is all his doing.  Don't blame the commentators, blame him.  He can extinguish this but he refuses to do it.  Becasue of that I think many of us who do care about the program have a right to be po'd right now.  

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 08:34:04 PM »
I don't need reassurance but the ones who do are potential recruits.  They want stability... they want to know that the coach that recruited them is going to be around for their 4 years.  Don't think for a second that Bo Cryan isn't going to pounce on this by telling recruits that Buzz isn't committed to MU.  Fans who don't think coaching stability plays a role in recruiting is what amazes me.

And this post helps that effort how!?!  ?-(

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 08:35:35 PM »
If Cottingham finds out there is any truth to "feelers" being put out, I would have no problem with him firing Buzz Williams. And I like Buzz.
And I mean immediately. Before Friday.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 08:37:30 PM »
Yeah, I really want to see Scott Monarch coach these guys in the NCAA tourney.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 08:39:55 PM »
After reading the idiocy of this thread, I would more than understand if Buzz were to leave for one of those jobs next week.  

And no, I didn't mean for that to be in teal.
The General has taken on a new command.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 08:42:19 PM »
I read it as classic Buzz.... "I've been totally open and honest with your for 3 years, I've said I'm staying here as long as you want me, this is annoying as all hell to have to respond to year after year and I'm not going to say something just to satisfy all the message board coaches on MuScoop. The people that need to know (recruits, players, family), and those who trust me know I'm staying put because I've given them everything I have for 3 years showing I love it here."

That could be just the optimist in me and I reserve the right to change my view of what he said.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 08:44:47 PM »

I agree.  You can't have someone preaching truth and honesty and then playing these games after stating he'll be at MU as long as MU will have him.  I don't have any use for that.  If he doesn't mean that, then he shouldn't say it...especially with the way he promotes honesty, morals and ethics.  Here's to hoping that he is honest, moral and ethical!

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 08:46:48 PM »
I read it as classic Buzz.... "I've been totally open and honest with your for 3 years, I've said I'm staying here as long as you want me, this is annoying as all hell to have to respond to year after year and I'm not going to say something just to satisfy all the message board coaches on MuScoop. The people that need to know (recruits, players, family), and those who trust me know I'm staying put because I've given them everything I have for 3 years showing I love it here."

That could be just the optimist in me and I reserve the right to change my view of what he said.
I got that feeling early on in all of this as well...seemed like he was a bit annoyed with the lack of trust in him...hope it's true.

groove

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 08:47:17 PM »
Yeah, I really want to see Scott Monarch coach these guys in the NCAA tourney.

Well if history repeats and buzz leaves after the season cott will wait 72 hours and then hire whatever asst coach is left behind.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 08:48:59 PM »
I agree.  You can't have someone preaching truth and honesty and then playing these games after stating he'll be at MU as long as MU will have him.  I don't have any use for that.  If he doesn't mean that, then he shouldn't say it...especially with the way he promotes honesty, morals and ethics.  Here's to hoping that he is honest, moral and ethical!

This is a business.  You guys take coaches too seriously, 95% of these guys sold their soul when they had to start recruiting.   If he leaves for another job I won't think ill of him but then again I never put him up on a moral pedestal just because he claims morality and honesty.   You guys need to stop viewing coaches like they're priests or something.    Always just look at the actions.  Words are cheap.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 08:50:38 PM »
before Friday's game if he is not committed to sticking around.  Enough of this tip-toeing around the issue. It's a major distraction.  MU pours more money into their basketball program than any in the Big East...that's what you call committment, if Buzz can't shut everyone up by saying that he is here for the long term then Mr. C. should pull the plug now.  I am sick of this BS.  What else do you want Buzz?   One thing is for certain another coach wouldn't blow an 18 point lead with under 6 to play. 

Wow, what an awesome post... Do you throw out apples, because they eventually will become cores? 

Have a little patience and let's see how this plays out... enjoy the ride of our 6th straight tourney appearance.  If you think that this gossip and speculation is a distraction, imagine if MU was actually going to follow-through with your "shoot first" idea.  Do you really think finding a new head coach the day before the tourney would help us? 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 08:52:47 PM »
Well if history repeats and buzz leaves after the season cott will wait 72 hours and then hire whatever asst coach is left behind.

Buzz was a very hot commodity in the coaching business when C-ham hired him.  He earned a lot of respect among knowledgeable basketball people, no the average stiff might not know what he was all about.  I'd say Cottinham's hire has been rather successful  to this point, so I'm not sure why you're taking shots at Cottingham.  If anything he's proven he knows a hell of a lot more than you or me.