Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What Buzz actually said  (Read 12713 times)

MUfan12

• All American
What Buzz actually said
« on: March 14, 2011, 10:41:19 PM »
Here's the transcript from the end of the radio show. I'll say this, it wasn't a stone cold denial, but not as evasive as it was portrayed.

Homer- “Coach, every time a job opens up- Texas Tech, Arkansas, now Oklahoma, your name comes up. How do you respond?”

Buzz- “I mean, I don’t know what the official response should be other than I’m thankful we’re still playing. If my name is popping up, it probably means we’re doing okay. I don’t have an agent, I’ve said that before, that’s probably not the right thing to divulge publically. So anything that would happen, Steve Cottingham would be the first to know. Steve has not said anything to me other than last night when he said congratulations for making the NCAA Tournament. My job is to be the head coach at Marquette. I’m completely focused on can we win a game in the tournament, and hopefully have another radio show next Monday.”

From there, they went on to talk about the last two Sweet 16 teams, and his conversation with Mick Cronin about having to possibly play a BE team in the second round.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: What Buzz actually said
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 10:56:46 PM »
If Buzz says "no, I will not be going to 'X'" than he has to say this every-time his name pops up.  When he doesn't say it, it will be assumed he is leaving.

So, what is the proper answer for a question like this?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 11:07:03 PM »
The proper answer is, "I will be at Marquette as long as they'll have me." I don't think he's going anywhere. It seems like he's built really close personal relationships with everyone on the team and has a team built over three years primed to make a run in the next couple years. I think he waits it out here until Barnes retires, gets fired, or leaves for another opportunity. It's still weird that he's had a simple, consistent, direct answer that perfectly deflected speculation and now he changes to this. Maybe he's just sick of answering the question?  Let's get to the 2nd weekend, extend the man several years and end the speculation please!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 11:08:07 PM »
I guess if he is considering it, I'd rather him answer like that than feed us a line o'bull.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 11:13:05 PM »
The proper answer is, "I will be at Marquette as long as they'll have me." I don't think he's going anywhere. It seems like he's built really close personal relationships with everyone on the team and has a team built over three years primed to make a run in the next couple years. I think he waits it out here until Barnes retires, gets fired, or leaves for another opportunity. It's still weird that he's had a simple, consistent, direct answer that perfectly deflected speculation and now he changes to this. Maybe he's just sick of answering the question?  Let's get to the 2nd weekend, extend the man several years and end the speculation please!

One question I have, if Barnes were fired or left, where would Buzz be in that line? Would he be Texas' first choice at this point? That's a pretty major brand to entrust to a guy who's yet to make a Sweet 16. While I don't think the necessary circumstances are remotely imminent, I'm not even sure that if they were we'd have that much to worry about.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 11:17:09 PM »
If Buzz says "no, I will not be going to 'X'" than he has to say this every-time his name pops up.  When he doesn't say it, it will be assumed he is leaving.

So, what is the proper answer for a question like this?

I thought we went through this a ton the last decade.  There is no proper answer.  If he says he isn't interested and leaves, he's a liar...at least according to some.  If he says he's interested, than he's a traitor.

No win situation.  This is why I wish they wouldn't say the silly coach speak stuff like "I'll be here as long as Marquette will have me" because that's a scripted BS answer as well. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 11:19:13 PM »
One question I have, if Barnes were fired or left, where would Buzz be in that line? Would he be Texas' first choice at this point? That's a pretty major brand to entrust to a guy who's yet to make a Sweet 16. While I don't think the necessary circumstances are remotely imminent, I'm not even sure that if they were we'd have that much to worry about.

I highly doubt it.  Texas could go out and get anyone they want.  They would go after MAJOR, long proven talent before getting to our level.

Their fans would revolt if they hired a 9th place Big East coach.  That is not a slam, that is the reality of what Texas fans and most major program fans are like.  They have an entitlement complex and it does not allow for them to accept someone that far down the line. 

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 11:20:57 PM »
We wouldn't have to worry about it NOW. Like you said, it's not imminent. That's why I said he'd wait it out here to build his resume so he would be the top choice in the event that Texas opened up. I don't see that being a problem for at least a decade. It's pure conjecture, he may really want to stay here and try to build his own dynasty/legend, and I'm all for that, obviously.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 11:27:10 PM »
I don’t have an agent, I’ve said that before, that’s probably not the right thing to divulge publicly.

He has said that several times.  And I don't think he's lying.  Which makes this all the more impressive.  Most coaches use their agents as the back channels so that they can deny "talking" to other programs.  In this case, Buzz doesn't even leave a back channel open.  If another school had called to talk to Buzz, it would have to be coming from Cottingham as an official request - and Buzz says that hasn't happened.

Unless people think Buzz would lie directly and talk to the other programs without telling MU first.  I highly doubt that, and I'll be the first to put Buzz on the TC bus if he were to do something like that.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 11:33:57 PM »
"I don’t have an agent, I’ve said that before, that’s probably not the right thing to divulge publically. So anything that would happen, Steve Cottingham would be the first to know. Steve has not said anything to me other than last night when he said congratulations for making the NCAA Tournament."

Dudes, I listened to this piece...Buzz is actually saying any offers would have to come through Steve and Steve hasn't alerted him to any outside interest. This whole show was about loyalty to Orr, his birthday, thanks to Homer. Orr coached at the same JC for all the years. If anyone thinks Buzz is pulling a TC with all this bait and switch, you are off.

Now, is Buzz sly like a fox? Yes, he knows an indirect answer grows his worth. He also knows the headhunters and they are in his ear and in the buyers' ears (and who are trying to create a market). I also know they have had trackers out on him since at least mid-season. He is uber connected down south. Like athlete recruitment, this is a gossip game. Goldman is his buddy as are the others.

As I wrote in CS a few weeks back, Buzz is one of the most successful new coaches. I also wrote the BCS level schools are no picnic as they turn over coaches like Charlie Sheen goes through drugs and women...and that MU is a much better job than it is given credit judging by success of the coaches who have travelled through here (stepping stone) vs. where they went after (fallacy of the stepping stone)--add in the history, facilities, hoops fervor, NBA arena and deep pockets at MU. 

No way he goes...no way he doesn't get a big raise.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 11:37:46 PM »
He has said that several times.  And I don't think he's lying.  Which makes this all the more impressive.  Most coaches use their agents as the back channels so that they can deny "talking" to other programs.  In this case, Buzz doesn't even leave a back channel open.  If another school had called to talk to Buzz, it would have to be coming from Cottingham as an official request - and Buzz says that hasn't happened.

Unless people think Buzz would lie directly and talk to the other programs without telling MU first.  I highly doubt that, and I'll be the first to put Buzz on the TC bus if he were to do something like that.

You don't need an agent to have a back channel.  We can also get into semantics of what an "agent" is.  There are agents and then there are "representatives" and "advisers" and all sorts of other folks that wouldn't necessarily qualify as an agent in the strictest term, but certainly can be used in this capacity.

I get calls all the time from people representing athletes or entertainment folks that are not officially their "Agent of Record" but still serve in an advisory roll or some type of business relationship to the athlete or entertainer.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 11:55:47 PM »
You don't need an agent to have a back channel.  We can also get into semantics of what an "agent" is.  There are agents and then there are "representatives" and "advisers" and all sorts of other folks that wouldn't necessarily qualify as an agent in the strictest term, but certainly can be used in this capacity.

I get calls all the time from people representing athletes or entertainment folks that are not officially their "Agent of Record" but still serve in an advisory roll or some type of business relationship to the athlete or entertainer.

I understand and agree with that.  But I do believe that as long as MU has Buzz's back (and is taking care of his wallet appropriately), he'll be at MU.  If they show that they aren't committed to him, or to Basketball as a whole, he'll take off. 

The rumor you posted this week was interesting, because it was basically saying MU didn't have Buzz's back.  The fact that we've never heard that makes me more comfortable, but it's no guarantee that it's not true.  I do take Buzz at his word of "as long as they'll have me" - with the qualifiers above.  Loyalty is big to Buzz, and if Marquette gave him some sort of ultimatum, I could see that being a breach of contract in Buzz's mind.

Nonetheless, I have no reason to believe both Buzz and Cottingham aren't getting along great right now.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 11:57:01 PM »
MU is a much better job than it is given credit judging by success of the coaches who have travelled through here (stepping stone) vs. where they went after (fallacy of the stepping stone)--add in the history, facilities, hoops fervor, NBA arena and deep pockets at MU. 

No way he goes...no way he doesn't get a big raise.

Question for you.  I actually agree with you in many respects to the above comment you made.  However, do you not think TC, KO and Deane (he tried to get out several times) viewed it as a stepping stone?  I agree it's a solid job and a number of coaches who succeeded here struggled beyond (KO, TC thus far, etc).  It seems to me that some of our coaches get saucer eyes and believe the grass is greener out there so they jump.  Once they realize it's a mistake, it's too late.  Thus it becomes a stepping stone for some coaches by default.

MU has a lot going for it, no one denies this, but there are certainly some schools that have more going for them and usually those are the ones that come calling or are rumored to want our coaches.  Deeper pockets, even better facilities, sometimes even better history....

I hope Buzz is here a decade or longer...that means we have stability, it means he's doing well. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 12:06:37 AM »
Their fans would revolt if they hired a 9th place Big East coach. 

You mean like Jim Calhoun or Jay Wright?
Don't get me wrong. I don't think Buzz would be on Texas' short list. Heck, I'd be very, very surprised if he's on OU's short list. But labeling him a "9th place Big East coach" is a bit of a cheap shot. I suspect you wouldn't do the same if someone asked you about Jay Wright, Jim Calhoun or Mike Brey (for which the label would just as accurate).

And, for the record, Texas did hire a 9th place Big East coach. Rick Barnes finished 9th his fourth season at PC. Back when 9th place in the Big East didn't get you a tournament bid.
I'm unaware of any ensuing revolts.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 12:27:06 AM »
You mean like Jim Calhoun or Jay Wright?
Don't get me wrong. I don't think Buzz would be on Texas' short list. Heck, I'd be very, very surprised if he's on OU's short list. But labeling him a "9th place Big East coach" is a bit of a cheap shot. I suspect you wouldn't do the same if someone asked you about Jay Wright, Jim Calhoun or Mike Brey (for which the label would just as accurate).

And, for the record, Texas did hire a 9th place Big East coach. Rick Barnes finished 9th his fourth season at PC. Back when 9th place in the Big East didn't get you a tournament bid.
I'm unaware of any ensuing revolts.

Please give me gun to insert into my ear so I can shoot myself.

Sigh.

Is Texas today the same as they were when they hired Rick Barnes? Do expectations change?

Did Rick Barnes get hired from Providence to coach at Texas or did he go to the ACC first and lead a Clemson program to 3 straight NCAA appearances even though in their HISTORY they only had 4 prior to him becoming coach?

Jay Wright...been to the Final Four...thus he is a FINAL FOUR coach.  That would fit the Texas image.  It's called the accomplishment resume.  Jim Calhoun...several Final Fours and two national titles.

Please, use some common sense.  All three of those examples did something to earn their stripes.  For most Texas fans and probably the Texas AD, they're going to want someone that has done something over the long haul on the grand stage.  Buzz simply hasn't done that...yet.  Maybe he will, but those three examples are beyond ridiculous. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 12:31:34 AM »
Question for you.  I actually agree with you in many respects to the above comment you made.  However, do you not think TC, KO and Deane (he tried to get out several times) viewed it as a stepping stone?  I agree it's a solid job and a number of coaches who succeeded here struggled beyond (KO, TC thus far, etc).  It seems to me that some of our coaches get saucer eyes and believe the grass is greener out there so they jump.  Once they realize it's a mistake, it's too late.  Thus it becomes a stepping stone for some coaches by default.

MU has a lot going for it, no one denies this, but there are certainly some schools that have more going for them and usually those are the ones that come calling or are rumored to want our coaches.  Deeper pockets, even better facilities, sometimes even better history....

I hope Buzz is here a decade or longer...that means we have stability, it means he's doing well.  

I exactly agree with you that they (KO, TC, et al) viewed MU as a stepping stone.  I also agree that they have seller's regret and realize later what a great gig MU is. The deep pockets have to buy talent (overpay), why?  Because they are a mess. OK, Ark, TN, and even Ind. before/after Sampson have been a coaching disaster for years. And patience lasts 3-4 years and then it is on to the next new one that money can buy, some hires don't last the weekend (Altman). Rather than the Izzo Coaching Tree...I'd like to look at the MU Coaching Tree. It is damn impressive. MU has fired only two coaches in near 50 years

That said, what I feel is different here with Buzz is that MU leaned into him big time. He is a different bird and values that. He can write his own check here and get whatever he wants--but is humble about it.  He is a gym rat and not a challenge guy like TC so the urge for a state BCS school is not as great. Has he had some bumps in the road? Yes, but MU's admin stood by him. He is VERY well respected and supported by those that matter (above Cottingham)--unlike TC whose time had worn thin. MU also knows they are in a vulnerable spot with conference realignment and know the value of stability at this time.    

Will this change with time?  I am sure it could.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 12:47:37 AM »

That's usually the key.  Time usually wears out many welcomes whether in a marriage, coaching, business, etc. If one can get over the magical hump (whenever that is), then usually you're golden.  I hope he's here for a long time.

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 01:20:57 AM »
I exactly agree with you that they (KO, TC, et al) viewed MU as a stepping stone.  I also agree that they have seller's regret and realize later what a great gig MU is. The deep pockets have to buy talent (overpay), why?  Because they are a mess. OK, Ark, TN, and even Ind. before/after Sampson have been a coaching disaster for years. And patience lasts 3-4 years and then it is on to the next new one that money can buy, some hires don't last the weekend (Altman). Rather than the Izzo Coaching Tree...I'd like to look at the MU Coaching Tree. It is damn impressive. MU has fired only two coaches in near 50 years

That said, what I feel is different here with Buzz is that MU leaned into him big time. He is a different bird and values that. He can write his own check here and get whatever he wants--but is humble about it.  He is a gym rat and not a challenge guy like TC so the urge for a state BCS school is not as great. Has he had some bumps in the road? Yes, but MU's admin stood by him. He is VERY well respected and supported by those that matter (above Cottingham)--unlike TC whose time had worn thin. MU also knows they are in a vulnerable spot with conference realignment and know the value of stability at this time.    

I'm just assuming here, but you seem to have an in to some degree when it comes knowing Buzz or at least knowing people that do compared to the average fan like me. Am i correct in my assumption or no?

If that is the case, do you know how driven Buzz is when it comes to money?

I'm not naive and realize that everyone cares about money and it factors into career decisions, but for some people, money is more important to them than others. This can lead to career decisions, especially in big money sports where an athlete or coach will leave one place for another even if they really don't want to, but the jump in pay was simply to enticing for them. Buzz doesn't strike me as a money first type even though i'm not trying to imply it's irrelevant to him, but obviously i could be wrong and at some point he'd sell himself to a higher bidder.

The other thing i wonder about him on a personal level is his southern roots. Is he happy enough living here in Wisconsin most of the time to where the draw of getting a job in the south isn't something he spends much time thinking about, instead it's us fans thinking about it? Or deep down is that the dream for him, to eventually or fairly soon land a job in the area of the country he is from so long as he felt that he could win there?

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 03:03:24 AM »
I highly doubt it.  Texas could go out and get anyone they want.  They would go after MAJOR, long proven talent before getting to our level.

Their fans would revolt if they hired a 9th place Big East coach.  That is not a slam, that is the reality of what Texas fans and most major program fans are like.  They have an entitlement complex and it does not allow for them to accept someone that far down the line. 
Barnes has had a nice career at Texas but the school will first and foremost be a football institution. However, to suggest that Buzz's ties to Texas would make him a candidate is a reach. Barnes came here from Clemson 12 years ago and, while successful, his 4 year conference record was only 28-36. I hardly think Buzz's numbers would scare UT if they were truly interested.
Players win awards but teams win championships

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 05:54:31 AM »
That was his answer previously, but not anymore. Not time for an extension.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 07:47:47 AM »
That was his answer previously, but not anymore. Not time for an extension.

I'm not saying he's not interested in more money because we all know he'll take it, but his past behavior has shown that he gets a bit irritated when he has to repeat himself on issues like this.  It comes across to me as him feeling like people should know he is good to his word.  It doesn't make me believe him more one way or the other, but that's what I take from it.  I'll judge him on his actions after this all plays out.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 08:03:10 AM »
When KO was here, and even when Deane was here, MU *was* a stepping stone.  And TC left MU for a storied program...one of the college basketball bluebloods.  You can't really blame him for taking that gig.

It's different now.  MU is a BE contender and a regular NCAA participant.  When you look at Oklahoma, it is closer to home and close to his "recruiting grounds," but does that make it more attractive to him?  MU can match pretty much any salary that OU throws at him so I don't think that would be his motivation.

And IMO Arkansas is a *MUCH* better gig than Oklahoma.  The SEC West is filled with weak basketball schools.  It has more of a devotion to basketball and much better facilities.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 08:17:30 AM »
Even if he never wants to leave MU, he has to play the game to get a raise and a contract extension. Assuming that he does not have an agent as he said, we can know he is not looking to leave. However, that does not stop other teams from coming after him.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 08:30:52 AM »
Not sure what's up with his contract, but he probably is due for an extension anyway, isn't he? If memory serves he signed a six-year deal initially. Has he had an extension since? If not, that leaves only 3 years, and it would definitely be time. Not that the number of years really mean anything, but a raise would probably come with it. Obviously none of us knows how he or Mu feel about that, but if it isn't something Cottingham is working on, I think its safe to assume other offers become much more attractive to Buzz (and, while a bit of a contortion, he can safely make the claim that because they were not willing to offer an extension, MU no longer wanted him).

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 08:41:02 AM »
FWIW, I'm not takin' the polyanna approach. It's a business Nd business decisions are made on both sides. If Buzz is offered by a school and he feels he can better himself and family, he bolts, pure and simple. With these Southern jobs opening up, don't be shocked if he's gone by next Monday.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2011, 08:44:19 AM »
When KO was here, and even when Deane was here, MU *was* a stepping stone.  And TC left MU for a storied program...one of the college basketball bluebloods.  You can't really blame him for taking that gig.

It's different now.  MU is a BE contender and a regular NCAA participant.  When you look at Oklahoma, it is closer to home and close to his "recruiting grounds," but does that make it more attractive to him?  MU can match pretty much any salary that OU throws at him so I don't think that would be his motivation.

And IMO Arkansas is a *MUCH* better gig than Oklahoma.  The SEC West is filled with weak basketball schools.  It has more of a devotion to basketball and much better facilities.

+1  exactly what I was going to say.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 09:00:39 AM »
don't be shocked if he's gone by next Monday.

Why would he leave before MU's season is over?  ;D

Masterr73

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2011, 09:06:40 AM »
I wouldnt be surprised if Buzz leaves at all. Vander looks like a miss, Jimmy is gone, the team could seriously struggle next year. Buzz's stock will never be higher than it is now

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 09:13:56 AM »
I think you're way off. Buzz' stock could be infinitely higher next year by a few things happening. First, by having the team improve next year upon this year's team, proving that he can coach-up his own guys. By then, Crean will be a full four-years removed from the program and you could point to MU being Williams' program. Second, by winning one or two games this year in the NCAA.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 09:14:56 AM »
Niv...don't mess with him...he's a realist. 

Masterr73

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2011, 09:25:33 AM »
Buzz's records
year one: 25-10
year two:22-12
year three:20-14

You know how good a college coach is in his third year since most of the players are his. And they are obviously not improving. I say that if he wants to go somewhere else, fine leave, his stock wont be higher. If not I guess I will settle for mediocrity for a few years till he's gone. Marquette made 14M in revenue this season, one of the best in the Big East, I think MU could pry away a Mark Few for some of that money.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 09:26:07 AM »
Jay Wright...been to the Final Four...thus he is a FINAL FOUR coach.  That would fit the Texas image.  It's called the accomplishment resume.  Jim Calhoun...several Final Fours and two national titles.

Please, use some common sense.  All three of those examples did something to earn their stripes.  For most Texas fans and probably the Texas AD, they're going to want someone that has done something over the long haul on the grand stage.  Buzz simply hasn't done that...yet.  Maybe he will, but those three examples are beyond ridiculous. 

Oh, geez. Even you know that I wasn't comparing Buzz to Calhoun and Wright. Rather, I was illustrating the utter folly of labeling Buzz as "the 9th place Big East coach" ... as if that were the sum and substance of his entire career and accomplishments. It's a true statement. Just as it would be a true statement for Wright and Calhoun. It's also ridiculous. Just as it would be ridiculous for Wright and Calhoun. The fact that you recognize this for the latter two coaches, yet believe it's entirely accurate and appropriate for Buzz pretty well sums up where you're coming from in regards to MU's current coach.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 09:28:58 AM »
I am totally uninformed and have zero evidence to back this up, but my feeling about the fact that Cottingham has not told Buzz about any contacts from other schools is that it doesnt give me any comfort.  Either 1) Cottingham told schools he would not forward that kind of talk until the season is over or even more likely 2) the schools know the kind of loyal guy Buzz is and wouldn't want to anger him by approaching him during the most important part of his season with another school.  Just a hunch - but if Buzz is still saying he's gotten no word about other jobs from Cottingham a week after we're out of the tournament, it'll mean a lot more to me.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 09:30:58 AM »
I heard Buzz is in talks with the Milwaukee 7 to build a production facility for his new line of packaged sweet teas - seeing as how Milwaukee has good, cheap water, I can see how that's plausible.  So that obviously means that UWM is his fallback plan if MU doesn't work out.  So somebody please add that one to the list of Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Arkansas, TAMU-CC, etc.

While you're at it, start adding Bo Ryan's name to Villanova, Penn State, Indiana of Pennsylvania, Drexel, Lehigh, Robert Morris, etc.  After all, he's from Philly and I hear that he has family there, and would feel more at home, and he can get a good cheese steak anytime, and Pennsylvania and Wisconsin have no extradition agreements, and UW isn't offering him a contract extension, and UW has digressed this year, etc.

Hell... let's just start a grid with every Big Six D-I basketball coach showing where they're from and what their next "destination" will be based upon that.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2011, 09:32:37 AM »
You know how good a college coach is in his third year since most of the players are his. And they are obviously not improving. I say that if he wants to go somewhere else, fine leave, his stock wont be higher. If not I guess I will settle for mediocrity for a few years till he's gone. Marquette made 14M in revenue this season, one of the best in the Big East, I think MU could pry away a Mark Few for some of that money.

Mark Few???  Oh please.  Stick Gonzaga in the BE and they'd be at about MU's level.  There is a reason they under-perform every year in the NCAA tournament you know.

Masterr73

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2011, 09:35:30 AM »

Mark Few???  Oh please.  Stick Gonzaga in the BE and they'd be at about MU's level.  There is a reason they under-perform every year in the NCAA tournament you know.

more recruits would want to play for a proven coach in the Big East rather than an unproven coach in the big east or a proven coach in the west coast

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2011, 09:37:49 AM »
more recruits would want to play for a proven coach in the Big East rather than an unproven coach in the big east or a proven coach in the west coast

Based on???

BTW, no one is prying Mark Few from Gonzaga.  Its been tried.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2011, 09:39:01 AM »
Do you know how many "proven" mid-major coaches have gone on to major programs and failed completely?  (Including Few's predecessor...who took the Zags further than Few has???)  

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2011, 09:39:20 AM »
Oh, geez. Even you know that I wasn't comparing Buzz to Calhoun and Wright. Rather, I was illustrating the utter folly of labeling Buzz as "the 9th place Big East coach" ... as if that were the sum and substance of his entire career and accomplishments. It's a true statement. Just as it would be a true statement for Wright and Calhoun. It's also ridiculous. Just as it would be ridiculous for Wright and Calhoun. The fact that you recognize this for the latter two coaches, yet believe it's entirely accurate and appropriate for Buzz pretty well sums up where you're coming from in regards to MU's current coach.

You are correct, sir.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2011, 11:07:36 AM »

I agree with the first part, but they have a pretty sweet draw in the NCAA's this year.  SJU without Kennedy, BYU without Davies....

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2011, 11:29:33 AM »
Buzz's records

I'm no TC fan, but I bet years 4 and 5 are better than 3.  You know a fool when they think they can say things like, "You know how good a college coach is in his third year."  It's different in every situation.  I also don't think Few is interested in MU.  He's had a number of opportunities to leave for higher paying/profile jobs.  My hope is that Buzz has the same feelings for MU that Few has shown for Gonzaga.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2011, 11:35:34 AM »
Buzz's records

Hey genius - How many 4 year players of Buzz's are currently in the program??  None.  Wonder why St. John's was so good this year?  8, 4-year players on their roster this year.  How many 3 year guys of Buzz's are on the roster now?  1 - Jimmy.

So, basically you want Buzz to exceed the job Jay Wright and Jim Calhoun did...in just Year 3 of his tenure...whereby he has 1 player that has been in his program for 3 years??  Wow.  Get a clue.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

groove

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2011, 12:12:20 PM »
/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 12:42:00 PM by groove »

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2011, 12:40:17 PM »
If Mark Few didn't go to Oregon (his alma mater) last year, he's not coming here.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2011, 12:41:38 PM »
Hey genius - How many 4 year players of Buzz's are currently in the program??  None.  Wonder why St. John's was so good this year?  8, 4-year players on their roster this year.  How many 3 year guys of Buzz's are on the roster now?  1 - Jimmy.

So, basically you want Buzz to exceed the job Jay Wright and Jim Calhoun did...in just Year 3 of his tenure...whereby he has 1 player that has been in his program for 3 years??  Wow.  Get a clue.

+1, well said.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2011, 01:10:24 PM »

You're right, the Texas fans won't see less wins each year, less conference wins each year, a 9th place finish (worst in our history in Big East) and label him as such compared to Wright, Calhoun, Barnes, etc.  

That's why I stated the term ".... yet" in the paragraph because Buzz can get there eventually, but not today.  He doesn't have the resume for a place like UT which is clearly what I was pointing out.  The fans down there would view him as taking over a program and having results worsen each of the three years he has been here.  They're not going to get into silly "cupboard was bare" argument (especially with Hayward around, several other contributing seniors, more top 100 recruits on the squad in several decades, etc).  That's why I said "....yet".  That means he can get there, but he's not there today.  Those other guys get the benefit of the doubt....your examples were absurd....don't start back tracking now.

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2011, 04:34:06 AM »

You're right, the Texas fans won't see less wins each year, less conference wins each year, a 9th place finish (worst in our history in Big East) and label him as such compared to Wright, Calhoun, Barnes, etc.  

That's why I stated the term ".... yet" in the paragraph because Buzz can get there eventually, but not today.  He doesn't have the resume for a place like UT which is clearly what I was pointing out.  The fans down there would view him as taking over a program and having results worsen each of the three years he has been here.  They're not going to get into silly "cupboard was bare" argument (especially with Hayward around, several other contributing seniors, more top 100 recruits on the squad in several decades, etc).  That's why I said "....yet".  That means he can get there, but he's not there today.  Those other guys get the benefit of the doubt....your examples were absurd....don't start back tracking now.
Look at Coach Barnes resume when he was hired by Texas. Yes, Texas alumni would have very definitive opinions about hiring a new football coach. However, basketball is now and always will be a diversion at UT. It's something to amuse the fans until spring football begins.
Players win awards but teams win championships

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2011, 07:40:06 AM »
Look at Coach Barnes resume when he was hired by Texas. Yes, Texas alumni would have very definitive opinions about hiring a new football coach. However, basketball is now and always will be a diversion at UT. It's something to amuse the fans until spring football begins.

Same can be said for OU and Ark too. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2011, 11:43:24 AM »
I thought we went through this a ton the last decade.  There is no proper answer.  If he says he isn't interested and leaves, he's a liar...at least according to some.  If he says he's interested, than he's a traitor.

No win situation.  This is why I wish they wouldn't say the silly coach speak stuff like "I'll be here as long as Marquette will have me" because that's a scripted BS answer as well. 

You are right. There is no "correct" answer from a fans point of view short of "I am staying" which essentially ties his hands. Buzz is playing the hand he has been dealt. Without having to ask MU for a raise, he will get one. How much will depend on how serious others schools are in his services.

It is amazing that so many college educated people don't get this is a BUSINESS, plain and simple.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2011, 12:07:06 PM »
Buzz is beyond sly. I think Buzz is so sly that Cottingham has no idea which way is up. I cannot believe I am saying this but MU should give Buzz a big, big raise to keep him. He is the face of the school on national scene and might ultimately really deliver the goods. There is no doubt in my mind he can recruit guys who can play ball at a high level. The college game has changed so much and Buzz gets it.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2011, 12:13:32 PM »
I agree with 79warrior. What would you do if some company was rumored to be poaching you from your current employer for possibly more money? Even if you are happy and don't want to leave? I sure as hell wouldn't say, I'm happy with my situation. No, you play te hand you are dealt and if it's his decision to stay, which I truly hope it is, then he will use that leverage for some more money, options, bonus, what have you. You'd be a moron not to. Last year was a rare occurrence in what buzz said but I still believe his word because he is a man of high character. If he decides to leave, I would be extremely peeved but sh*t happens. And you deal with it. Here's to hoping that buzz stays and keeps this train rolling in the right direction!

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2011, 01:16:53 PM »
I think Buzz is so sly that Cottingham has no idea which way is up. 

Cottingham knows, I think he's smart enough know what's going on around him.