Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Worst Technical Ever  (Read 8162 times)

MUMac

• All American
Re: Worst Technical Ever
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 06:45:07 AM »

They were warned ahead of the game not to swear.  DJO did.  He got the technical.  I'm not exactly sure what the problem is here.

The problems is several.  First, I doubt strongly that was the only swear word the entire game.  Secondly, one official decides to clean up the language on the court?  Why the difference in that game than every other one?  Is swearing only bad in DC?  Lastly, DJO said it to no one.  There was no one near him when he said it.  Not directed toward anyone.

That was a weak T.  Very weak.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 08:49:25 AM by MUMac »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 07:31:11 AM »
I hope Davante Gardner breaks the backboard tomorrow night with Higgins and Burr reffing,

Can Gardner dunk?   

Seriously, has anyone seen him dunk a ball in practice, game or wherever?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 07:38:43 AM »
I hope Davante Gardner breaks the backboard tomorrow night with Higgins and Burr reffing,

I don't think Gardner can reach the rim.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 07:40:50 AM »
I thought it was an obvious technical and figured it was coming before the whistle was blown. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 07:55:22 AM »
Yes on the momentum, but he still hung on for a probably a 1/2 to a second too long.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 08:26:16 AM »
Yes on the momentum, but he still hung on for a probably a 1/2 to a second too long.

Was the hanging on the rim to prevent a fall from the momentum or did it create it?  From my view, it created it.  Thus, an easy T, especially as he pulls himself up. 

Officials take a lot of flak for their calls, this should not be one.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 08:31:29 AM »
The technical was correct. the worst technical ever was the one called on DJO after he maed a three against Georgetwon.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2011, 10:51:38 AM »
I think the worst technical ever happened in D.C. last month, and I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it yet.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2011, 10:55:27 AM »
I think the worst technical ever happened in D.C. last month, and I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it yet.

Several posts above yours mention just that.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2011, 12:01:28 PM »
Yeah give a T to a guy with one eye who was just trying to protect himself and any others that he may have not been able to see since he only has one eye he can see with. Oh well, I guess it means nothing. We will kick a*s with just one eye if that is what is required.

Due to his depth perception issues, Chris simply misjudged his distance to the hoop and thought he had another foot and a half to fly to reach the rim. Next time he'll just have to dunk from the free throw line to remove all doubt.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2011, 01:03:17 PM »
My initial thought was WTF does he think he's doing.  Does Otule not realize the significance of the game?  Doesn't he realize how many games MU has lost by 1 point?  Doesn't he know that given the context of that dunk, he should have completely obliterated the backboard and screamed so loud that windows would be shaking in Bristol?  Doesn't he know that acting like a daft fool hanging on the rim after a monster jam inspires confidence in your teammates and intimidates opponents?  Of course he didn't, he just went up for a big jam and walked away like he's been there a hundred times before.

So we now have a serviceable Soph. big man developing into a productive one who doesn't even know how to earn a technical foul properly.

For shame, Marquette.   ::)
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2011, 01:25:29 PM »
IMO: COT, or any player, should not receive a techical for THAT act.  Although completely within their right to do so, calling the T was showboating on the part of the official.  A bit much on the rim? Sure.  But did that do anything to the flow of the game?  No.  The official sould have let it go.  Is there a BET Title for refs?  This one was making a name for himself.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2011, 01:36:24 PM »
Chris took off from so far away he had to lean forward to get it in and that momentum made him swing on the rim.

This. He misjudged the distance and had to hang on for dear life. Regarless, can't fault the ref. There was no one under Chris and he definitely hung on the rim and even pulled himself up on it.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2011, 01:42:55 PM »
Otule just needed to scream like a bitch, ala Stanley Robinson and he wouldn't have gotten a T.

I have never laughed out loud at a post quite like this.

+1

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2011, 01:57:39 PM »
This. He misjudged the distance and had to hang on for dear life. Regarless, can't fault the ref. There was no one under Chris and he definitely hung on the rim and even pulled himself up on it.

I agree, but it seemed like he pulled himself up to stop the momentum of his trunk swinging.  It was definitely not to showboat.  Regardless, it was a split-second call and I can see how it could be misinterpreted by the ref.  Unlike the ref whose virgin ears were deflowered by the menacing DJO.  How dare he say something naughty!  I'm surprised the Big East would recognize such a classless scofflaw with all-conference honors!  Have they no dignity???  What about the children?????

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2011, 03:42:35 PM »
IMO: COT, or any player, should not receive a techical for THAT act.  Although completely within their right to do so, calling the T was showboating on the part of the official.  A bit much on the rim? Sure.  But did that do anything to the flow of the game?  No.  The official sould have let it go.  Is there a BET Title for refs?  This one was making a name for himself.
Agreed. It appears that some of these refs think the show is about them.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MUBBALL

• Walk-On
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2011, 05:52:31 PM »
I will take a technical once a week if the Warriors have a big man.  Let him go crazy.. pat him on the back when done.  Otule is finally coming into his own.. Warriors with a big man

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2011, 06:36:44 PM »
Don't disagree on the call.   Though if that was T worthy,  it should probably be called once in every game.

feedback