'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mayo to Marquette?  (Read 26757 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Mayo to Marquette?
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2011, 10:14:15 PM »
Only a 3 star...I thought we only landed 4's and 5's now.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2011, 10:32:58 PM »

His sibling makes him on the verge of a 5 star recruit.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2011, 12:34:07 PM »
Todd Mayo has this posted on his FaceBook right now. Probably a good indicator that he's very serious about Marquette, though sounds like he's still planning to at least take a visit to UCF in the next week or so.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011-0302/todd-mayo-narrows-list-2011-sg-high-on-marquette-following-visit/
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2011, 01:27:52 PM »
Mayo will be a great player for MU.  We need great shooters.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2011, 06:13:41 PM »
Mayo just tweeted that he's visiting UCF March 13-15.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2011, 06:36:56 PM »
We should've imported some girls from FL last weekend for his visit.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2011, 01:52:27 AM »

You must be thinking of IU...Tanned Tommy has specialized in 3 Star recruitment...

I hear he is running off Bobby C and two others.  Let me ask you Bondsman, is it appropriate for a coach to pull a scholarship from a player? I look forward to your answer.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2011, 09:58:34 AM »
You must be thinking of IU...Tanned Tommy has specialized in 3 Star recruitment...

I hear he is running off Bobby C and two others.  Let me ask you Bondsman, is it appropriate for a coach to pull a scholarship from a player? I look forward to your answer.

This is a tough question to answer.

Perhaps we should ask DJ Newbill for his thoughts?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2011, 10:00:05 AM »

I hear he is running off Bobby C and two others.  Let me ask you Bondsman, is it appropriate for a coach to pull a scholarship from a player? I look forward to your answer.

Pull a scholarship....you must not understand that scholarships are one year in length and renewable each year.  

I look forward to your acknowledgment of that fact.

Now, let's talk about players given a scholarship that were never even allowed to complete that one year...I have a few folks in mind...Roseboro, Newbill, Saunders.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2011, 10:14:25 AM »
Still not understanding why a lot of people are getting so worked up about this guy. He is not listed in RSCI top 100. Can't we do better?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2011, 06:42:04 PM »
willie, the general consensus is that Mayo is one of the top guards available for 2011. Most of the RSCI top 100 are already signed, but everyone seems to have Mayo as a fairly high 3-star. Add in his DNA and his rising profile and it makes sense that he's a hot target. Baylor, West Virginia, Providence, and Kansas are all also in on him.

Anyway, I remember the questions not long ago about his multiple FaceBook accounts. I glanced at one today, the smaller one, and saw something interesting. He only has 17 friends there, but 4 of them are current Marquette player. Then I noticed that not only is he wearing a Marquette shirt in the picture, but he lists his school as "Marquette University" while also having Marquette as one of his education links.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002146472597

While he still has his visit at UCF coming up, I'm pretty sure this profile is legit and that he just has two profiles, maybe one public profile and one for closer friends. Personally, I think this looks pretty good for Marquette's chances with him.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2011, 07:16:30 PM »
willie, the general consensus is that Mayo is one of the top guards available for 2011. Most of the RSCI top 100 are already signed, but everyone seems to have Mayo as a fairly high 3-star. Add in his DNA and his rising profile and it makes sense that he's a hot target. Baylor, West Virginia, Providence, and Kansas are all also in on him.

Anyway, I remember the questions not long ago about his multiple FaceBook accounts. I glanced at one today, the smaller one, and saw something interesting. He only has 17 friends there, but 4 of them are current Marquette player. Then I noticed that not only is he wearing a Marquette shirt in the picture, but he lists his school as "Marquette University" while also having Marquette as one of his education links.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002146472597

While he still has his visit at UCF coming up, I'm pretty sure this profile is legit and that he just has two profiles, maybe one public profile and one for closer friends. Personally, I think this looks pretty good for Marquette's chances with him.

The profile looks really fake to me. Hardly any information and random Marquette stuff. Besides basic facts about hometown, there is really nothing about him. And notice the kids on the friend list... all MU students. Whats more likely:
Todd Mayo created a "private" profile that is open to the public. Only invites 17 people including this guy--

...Or a bored MU student made one and sent invitations to all MU players. These players, who get hundreds of friend requests a day, accidentally accepted the invite of the fake Todd Mayo.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2011, 08:04:26 PM »
Still not understanding why a lot of people are getting so worked up about this guy. He is not listed in RSCI top 100. Can't we do better?

You get all excited about Ox and he wasn't top 100 either.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2011, 08:26:34 PM »
We're probably up against Steve Demeo, assistant for UCF.  Former providence assistant with a great rep as a recruiter with east coast ties.

2:45 PM: I should have taken a longer lunch.  This game was never close.  I do like Brewster big man Mitch McGary, but a blowout with no PC targets leave little to report on.  At least we're minutes from Todd Mayo and ND Prep.

3:33 PM: 28 all at the half between ND Prep and St. John's Military.  Ricky Ledo was held scoreless, while Todd Mayo continues to impress, flashing the ability to hit from deep, score on floaters, and find the open man.  At the end of the half he hit the floor forcing a steal that led to a wide open Myles Davis three pointer to tie it just before the buzzer.

3:54 PM: Chris Davis is also in the house, as is former PC assistant Steve Demeo.

4:19 PM: ND gets the win and Myles Davis is named MVP.  Odd game.  Angel Nunez barely saw the court (left me wondering if he was hurt in the first half) and Ledo only saw limited playing time.  This is the third time I've seen Mayo this season and he's yet to disappoint.  Plays the game at a great tempo, shots it well, and can pass.  Not sure if he is a pure point guard at the next level, but he can certainly spot you minutes there.  Buzz Williams was here last night to see him.

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2011, 08:46:23 PM »
When he visits UCF, I hope the Jordan brothers don't take him to Vegas.   
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2011, 09:10:20 PM »
Pull a scholarship....you must not understand that scholarships are one year in length and renewable each year.  

Now, let's talk about players given a scholarship that were never even allowed to complete that one year...I have a few folks in mind...Roseboro, Newbill, Saunders.

So Crean one and Buzz two.  I could give Buzz 1.5 because Roseboro said he wanted to drop a level and he didn't sign up for classes.  Either way you look at it both coaches, like most of the NCAA, have had issues with transfers.  The only difference between Buzz and Crean was Crean marketed the cut of Saunders better than Buzz did.  Crean said it was because Saunders wasn't accepted to the school.

6746jonesr

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2011, 08:02:03 AM »

I object to the inclusion of Roseboro as a person who was run off.  He left of his own accord.  He was taking classes over the summer, working out with the rest of the team, and came to the conclusion that he was never going to play here.  So, while it is true that this was a recruiting screw up in offering a scholarship to this player, he was not run off.  Now, he may have said something different to local newspapers, or to his people back home, but that was an attempt at saving face.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2011, 08:22:27 AM »
He may have left on his own accord, but according to pretty much every report, he did so by getting not so subtle signs from the coaching staff that he wasn't going to play here.  The line between being run off and leaving on your own is very, very gray so people are going to see it how they want to see it.  But I think it is undoubtedly the case that the staff knew they made a mistake after summer ball and let him know his future wasn't very bright here.  (And they couldn't do what they did to Newbill because he was already enrolled.)

And frankly it worked out fine for both parties despite the mess.  Roseboro is averaging about 10 min per game at St. Bonnies as a sophomore and will likely become even a larger part of the rotation his last two years.  If he would have stuck around here, and MU let him continue his scholarship, he would have been our JP Gavinski...taking up a scholarship while doing nothing outside of practice.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2011, 08:27:06 AM »
[size=8]MAYO TO MARQUETTE

Does this really have to devolve to another discussion of Crean v Buzz? It has absolutely no place here.

If you must, let's add Newbill, a new assistant coach, and Josh Gasser to the topics discussed in here. Chrissake, can no one bother to address the actual topic at hand?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2011, 08:38:19 AM »
[size=8]MAYO TO MARQUETTE

Does this really have to devolve to another discussion of Crean v Buzz? It has absolutely no place here.

If you must, let's add Newbill, a new assistant coach, and Josh Gasser to the topics discussed in here. Chrissake, can no one bother to address the actual topic at hand?

+ one trillion
No Finish Line

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2011, 08:42:35 AM »
Earth to brewcity...topics on internet message boards stray from the subject header.  If you don't like it, then ignore the thread.  For goodness sakes, you add absolutely NOTHING to the topic being discussed when you post that crap.  If the mods don't like it, THEY can deal with it.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2011, 08:50:11 AM »
Earth to brewcity...topics on internet message boards stray from the subject header.  If you don't like it, then ignore the thread.  For goodness sakes, you add absolutely NOTHING to the topic being discussed when you post that crap.  If the mods don't like it, THEY can deal with it.

Are you paying any attention to the logic of what you say? Ignore a thread about Mayo to Marquette when what I want to discuss is Mayo to Marquette? Yes, topics go off-topic, but I've been on a lot of message boards, and when it comes to going off-topic, no one does it better than this place. And it's always the same topics. Newbill, Roseboro, Buzz v Crean, Gasser, UW, UI. I'm surprised there isn't just a stickied thread so people can discuss that stuff exclusively. If you want to discuss Roseboro so bad, why not start a "Brett Roseboro's minutes at St. Bonaventure" thead?

And while you say I add absolutely NOTHING to the topic being discussed, the topic here is listed in the title of the thread. It's Mayo to Marquette. Talking about how many minutes Brett Roseboro gets at St. Bonnie's is what adds nothing to the topic. It has nothing to do with the topic at hand whatsoever. And it has makes no attempt to discuss the topic at hand.

At least I'm trying to keep the discussion relevant and on-track, so that people like you and I can occasionally actually find the kind of discussion we are looking for based on the thread title.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2011, 09:02:02 AM »

Dude, are you kidding?  This is where 95% of threads on this board end...in the same old tired pissing match. 
No Finish Line

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
Obviously people *want* to talk about Roseboro because he was brought up and discussed here by multiple people before I did.

And anyway, do you really think that if you post something in big red letters that people are going to change their posting habits?  No one wants a net-nanny.  And you aren't bringing the topic back on track...you are just being a nag.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2011, 09:18:26 AM »
Hey, I don't have time to read every post on every thread.  When the title says "Mayo to MU", I'm gonna read every post because I want to see if anything's new in the recruitment.  I don't think BrewCity77's so far off base.  If so many people want to talk about  Roseboro, make a new thread that has "Roseboro" in the title so I and others can skip it.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

feedback