Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[May 31, 2024, 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Best student section in the land?  (Read 11079 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Best student section in the land?
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 05:27:28 PM »
Rosiak thought the weird start time, Sunday at 3PM contributed to the smaller than usual crowd.

Bertface

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2011, 05:30:26 PM »
Yeah Sunday 3 pm come on that is an awful game time for students.  But I also agree the students now a days here at Marquette are pretty lame. Seem like a bunch of dorks.

mklenn

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2011, 05:46:43 PM »
i was there, i had a feeling the crowd would be pretty weak but i think the 10-0 start really got everyone into it and the energy stayed for most of the game. for the amount of people that were there the energy was pretty good but we definitely need better attendance wed and next year in general. i think this goes for the students and the non student sections. big east games need to be sold out. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2011, 05:49:21 PM »
What the hell is Rosiak smoking?

Honestly, we had to ask around if the students were on break or something, they were so bad.  The lower student section was 90% full .. the upper was 3% full.   I'm gonna say it was the worst Big East student section this year, easy. (Minus the xmas break ones.)

The rest of the Bradley Center was decently full .. lower bowl was 99% .. upper bowl was maybe 75%.  Official attendance 16,800.  -- Since the floor is 13000, that means there was 3800 single tickets/walkups.

Not packed, but decent crowd for UProv.  It's the students that didn't show today.  

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011, 05:49:41 PM »
The only thing the students got excited about was Frozena coming into the game (which never ceases to be embarrassing).  Weak turnout and weak support for a team that played with a lot of heart -only one more home game left - where was everybody?

RyanConroy

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 05:49:48 PM »
I was in the student section, as usual, and the attendance was extremely weak. There are two reasons why a ton of students they were missing this game:

a) They think they have a lot of school work to do

b) They think Marquette has little to no chance for an NCAA tournament bid

---

Both reasons are complete bullsh*t. My roommate is a civil engineer and has three exams in the next four days, including an advanced physics exam tomorrow. It was never a consideration for him to miss that game. There is no excuse for buying tickets and not taking 150 minutes out of a weekend day to watch MUBB. It's a bunch of communication and business majors that like to pretend they're swamped with work to do. As for the other reason, anybody that thought that at any point this season doesn't deserve to see the bball team live. It's time to take the upper deck away and let the real fans come to the games. Hell, raise the student ticket prices if they must.

Not only was the UD virtually empty, there was an entire section (behind the band) that literally zero students were in until tip, when it finally filled up about half way.

I will say that I was relatively pleased with the volume of the students that were there, but that isn't difficult when MU is blowing a team out by 20+ points.

RyanConroy

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2011, 05:51:17 PM »
The only thing the students got excited about was Frozena coming into the game (which never ceases to be embarrassing).  Weak turnout and weak support for a team that played with a lot of heart -only one more home game left - where was everybody?
The Rob Frozena chant is completely embarrassing and I refuse to be a part of it.

Also: apparently Evans Scholars are given the front row of the lower center (main) student section. This practice needs to be put to rest, they are horrible. The only fans that should be eligible for that section in general are those who have missed one or zero games all year.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 05:56:47 PM by RyanConroy »

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2011, 05:56:11 PM »
I went to the Louisville game last year, which wasn't full (about as full as it was today) and it was louder than I've ever seen or heard it.

Then we had this exact same thread about how quiet it supposedly was, despite me never feeling that way. We could use an attendance bump, but the games still have great atmosphere

RyanConroy

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2011, 05:58:30 PM »
I went to the Louisville game last year, which wasn't full (about as full as it was today) and it was louder than I've ever seen or heard it.

Then we had this exact same thread about how quiet it supposedly was, despite me never feeling that way. We could use an attendance bump, but the games still have great atmosphere
Eh, I was in the lower center student section for that game, and I remember it being much more full than today. Great energy at that game, either way.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2011, 06:09:27 PM »
It was pretty embarrassing when the crowd went wild as Frozena came in.  It was easily the loudest the crowd was the entire afternoon.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2011, 06:13:47 PM »
You know what I don't like, the band.  Man, I think it's time to complain about the band again. 

Seriously folks, let this one go.  Even if you don't like the student section, they're in the game a millions time more than we alums at the game.  I mean, I'm a season ticket holder and I can attest to just sitting back and watching the game at times, and am no where near as intense as the student section.

C League Champs

• Walk-On
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2011, 06:23:30 PM »
I'm a student and chose to watch it on my couch instead of going to the BC.  I was too lazy to go to the game. Does that settle anything?

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2011, 06:28:09 PM »
I'm a student and chose to watch it on my couch instead of going to the BC.  I was too lazy to go to the game. Does that settle anything?

BUM!  What the heck else did you have to do today?!?!

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2011, 06:36:41 PM »
This. I always try to go to the games, and have made it to almost every game I physically could. But I know tons of students who cannot say the same thing, and most of them have season tickets. Most still watch on tv, just don't go to the game.

I honestly think most of that has to do with not being ranked all season. As sad as it is, that would help get the less devoted fans more excited about games. The crowds will be rowdy again before long.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2011, 06:39:53 PM »
Bunch of slacked jaw nerds,,,  half these 18, 19 yr olds are given and addicted to legalized speed and they still can't show some emotion for 2 hours. 

I swear to god if I have to start throwing adderall stuffed marshmallows at the student section I'm going to be pissed.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2011, 06:43:07 PM »
What I wouldn't give to be a student again and be able to walk to the games.  I still remember standing outside the BC in single digit temps for hours waiting to see the MU Louisville game during the Final Four season.  Pretty sure it took me a couple weeks to warm back up but it was totally worth it.

I'm a season ticket holder but live down in Chicago now and life just doesn't let me get to as many games as I'd like.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2011, 07:25:20 PM »
I blame Wall Street.  Economy is in the crapper, forcing MU to recruit more rich jagbags who would rather sleep till 5pm on a Sunday, than actually waddle their smug ass 7 blocks to watch a basketball game.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 07:27:53 PM by reinko »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2011, 07:27:41 PM »
I'm blame Wall Street.  Economy is the crapper, forcing MU to recruit more jagbags who would rather sleep till 5pm on a Sunday, than actually waddle their smug ass 7 blocks to watch a basketball game.

You're assuming it is guys that did not show up.  Maybe it was the girls as they wanted to get everything done this afternoon so they could watch the red carpet show and the Oscars tonight.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2011, 07:33:41 PM »
Speaking of weird game time...how unnatural carnal knowledgeing busy was downtown Milwaukee today?

Marquette game, Auto Show, Mummies & the last day for the circus.

LON

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2011, 07:40:33 PM »
What I wouldn't give to be a student again and be able to walk to the games.  I still remember standing outside the BC in single digit temps for hours waiting to see the MU Louisville game during the Final Four season.  Pretty sure it took me a couple weeks to warm back up but it was totally worth it.

Same here, and you could drink in line as well.

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2011, 07:42:31 PM »
Any student who reads this board is probably going to the games anyway. Why bother preaching to the choir?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2011, 07:45:13 PM »
We're mobilizing the true crazies, so we can start busting balls (nips).

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2011, 07:57:11 PM »
I drive up and back from Chicago for every home game (minus a game here or there).  I noted to a friend of mine that it seemed the crowd was a little anxious and quiet prior to the start.  Awkwardly so.  At one point I think everyone in the BC could hear me clap, as no one was making a sound.

Our team has been uncertain all year.  Lots of whats, ifs and hows.  I think the crowd reflects the uncertainty of the team. 

It wasn't the worst today and wasn't the best. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2011, 08:05:17 PM »
The students who were there were fine and I commend them for their support.  The criticism isn't directed at them.  We were talking about the lack of students as well with the people around us.  One man told my friend that he was meeting his daughter at halftime and she asked him that day what time the game was at - what's with that!
There were hardly any students in the upper bowl, and they didn't fill the lower bowl. As previously stated, they didn't even fill the section behind the band - how does that look?  Why they couldn't get out on a Sunday afternoon, I have no idea, but I was floored by the lack of student attendance.  I wondered if they were going to blame the circus, the auto show, or the kids show at the performing arts center.

RyanConroy

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2011, 08:06:15 PM »
Enough of the "my class is better than yours" bullsh*t. It's a different time and culture with different circumstances. If MU was ranked top 10 and winning a National Championship or making it to the Final Four, the students would be filling up the BC.

We should focus on ways to get these lazy asses down to watch. Nobody has a bad time when they do.