[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

will jerel come back..

first round
17 (30.9%)
if we make it 2nd round
18 (32.7%)
not this year
20 (36.4%)
if we make it 3rd round
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: jmcneal  (Read 8382 times)

yungmufan20

• Scholarship Player
  • The Three Amigos
jmcneal
« on: March 13, 2007, 01:59:12 PM »
idk need opinions pretty much right now it dosent seem so good

yungmufan20

• Scholarship Player
  • The Three Amigos
Re: jmcneal
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 07:56:24 PM »
mcneal was practicing got photo

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 08:32:31 PM »
if he wasn't playing, I seriously doubt they would have risked him practicing.  I think he'll play limited minutes tomorrow and if we're lucky enough to win, I think he's going all the way on Saturday.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 08:50:03 PM »
Not sure I would read too too much into it, as I'm assuming he has been participating in some practice activities with the team all along. That being said, if I were a betting man, I'd say he'll probably see some time off the bench tomorrow. Should be a rather uplifting moment for the team and everyone watching if in fact he pulls the warm up off.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 08:56:03 PM »
He turns the ball over 4-5 times a game as it is-----with that cast multiply that by at  least 2 !

mviale

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 09:14:26 PM »
Maybe he is a natural lefty
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

jage

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 09:25:19 PM »
despite the announcement that he won't play thursday, i think it's very possible he'll be in uniform on the bench and could be a huge confidence boost for the team even if he plays a couple minutes to test out that thumb...

and on another note...

does anyone else want to vomit everytime andy katz or doug gottlieb opens their mouth?
You know what pressure is? It's when the cheerleaders are jumping and you don't notice their breasts. - Al McGuire

mviale

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 09:48:42 PM »
His mere presence will ignite the team and once he steals the ball, he just needs to pass to DJ.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 10:01:02 PM »
He turns the ball over 4-5 times a game as it is-----with that cast multiply that by at  least 2 !
and if he plays, and plays well will you admit you're wrong???  One game is the usual sample size for you.   ::)

ppp098

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 10:17:07 PM »
McNeal is going to play, no way he would sit this out. Just like wayne rooney for england in the world cup.

MUCHI814

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 10:38:46 PM »
ha, I hope that Wayne Rooney reference is a joke, I'm guessing he was participating in some non-contact drills, just like shootarounds and lay-ups.  I don't blame Crean for letting him participate, the poor guy has had to watch on the sidelines for the Gameday at home and in the BE tourney.  I wouldn't be suprised if he was just getting in on some of the warmup stuff to just let him enjoy the moment a little. Pure speculation of course though.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 11:02:20 PM »

Just curious--have you looked at his stats?  Never mind--I already know you haven't.

You've repeated this "turns the ball over 4-5 times" statement at least half-a-dozen time in the past week.   But if you were at all honest about this, you'd say he turnED the ball over 4-5 times, but has improved over the latter part of the season.

I thought you might like to know his acutal performance
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=26970

He hasn't turned the ball over 5 times in a game since February 3rd--and the time beore that was January 13.

Here's his performance over the last 10 games.

4 vs. Notre Dame   
3 vs. Villanova
3 vs. Louisville
4 vs. DePaul
3 vs. Georgetown
4 vs. Rutgers
5 vs. Providence
4 vs. S. Florida
3 vs. Seton Hall
3 vs. Pittsburgh

That's 3.6 TO/game--a far cry from the "4-5" you keep repeating.

Since you also seem to give extra credence to the most recent games "steals have gone down", a fair person would also point out that turnovers have dropped as well.

One more thing--you suggest that this number would at least double--however, most here are suggesting that McNeal will enter the lineup for defensive considerations--not on the offense side. 

Perhaps this is beyond your capability of rational thought, but most here realize that if McNeal is in the game its because we need his defense, which would disprove your suggeston that he'd have 8-10 turnovers.

jage

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 11:47:44 PM »
amen marquette84.
You know what pressure is? It's when the cheerleaders are jumping and you don't notice their breasts. - Al McGuire

yungmufan20

• Scholarship Player
  • The Three Amigos
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 09:23:52 AM »
i just saw a news clip this morning with him practing on channel 4 (WTMG) and he was dribbling it down the court and dunked it so it looks pretty good right now. Hopefully they win and I get an early b-day present for tomorow

yungmufan20

• Scholarship Player
  • The Three Amigos
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 09:44:22 AM »
i probably bet that the people who said not this year want to change their minds ::)

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 10:10:05 AM »

does anyone else want to vomit everytime andy katz or doug gottlieb opens their mouth?

I want to inflict serious harm on Gottlieb.  The man is a pompous credit card stealin sonofabitch.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 10:37:27 AM »
Haven't seen this posted yet. Much as speculated, he wasn't doing anything Wed. he hasn't seemingly been doing all along...

WEDNESDAY, March 14, 2007, 7:58 p.m.

McNeal and media day

Winston-Salem, N.C. - Jerel McNeal took part in Marquette's 40-minute workout on Wednesday afternoon at Lawrence Joel Coliseum, undoubtedly raising the hopes of scores of Golden Eagles fans everywhere.

The sophomore guard even said he's going to suit up against Michigan State.

But unless coach Tom Crean is going for the greatest piece of misdirection ever, I wouldn't expect the sophomore guard to see any court time on Thursday night.

Crean remains deeply concerned about McNeal further injuring the right digit, and said there's no feasible way the training staff would be able to brace it or wrap it to insure a direct hit to it during the game wouldn't worsen it.

"There's a part of me that thinks it's a real possibility, but he'd have to get clearance from the doctors and I'm just not sure that's going to happen," Crean said in his news conference. "He wants to play so bad. If he can get them convinced we'll give it a shot, but I don't think that will happen."

And realistically, aside from an emotional boost how much could a one-handed McNeal help MU? He relies so much on his hands as a defender, and he'd be a liability on offense - something he is steadfastly against becoming.

McNeal took part in Wednesday's workout with a large brace protecting his thumb. He did almost everything left-handed - including throw down a couple of dunks - but struggled mightily catching the ball, which was to be expected.

He did things that he's already done in practice since injuring the thumb. The difference this time is it was in an open setting.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 11:11:35 AM »
If I am MSU and find myself down by a significant margin (8+ points) and McNeal gets the ball, I foul him a few times.  Basically, I make him prove that he can hurt me on the charity stripe.  I would even consider doing this if I were up by only around 3-4 points at the end of the game.  Heck I might even do this early in the game just to try and force him out of the game as a liability at the stripe and therefore neutralize his defensive presence.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 11:16:39 AM »
If I am MSU and find myself down by a significant margin (8+ points) and McNeal gets the ball, I foul him a few times.  Basically, I make him prove that he can hurt me on the charity stripe.  I would even consider doing this if I were up by only around 3-4 points at the end of the game.  Heck I might even do this early in the game just to try and force him out of the game as a liability at the stripe and therefore neutralize his defensive presence.

Precisley why he can't be in there just to play defense as many have suggested. This isn't football. It just doesn't work that way.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 11:51:42 AM »
I highly doubt Izzo would have his guys foul McNeal unless State was in a truly desperate situation (down by more than a possession with very little time left).  It would be considered bush league and considering his relationship with Crean I don't see him pulling that one.  Keep in mind that Jerel's purpose would be to provide a emotional lift for the team and play some defense on Nitzel in the hopes of keeping the game close.  No way is he in toward the very end of the game.  If Marq is up we'd have better free throw guys in.  If Marq is down we'd need 5 guys who could score.