[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Brain Trauma From Football  (Read 2644 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Brain Trauma From Football
« on: February 22, 2011, 04:57:38 PM »
One cause that is frequently championed by Dan Bernstein on The Score, is the public knowledge of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) or brain disease as a result from football.

Former football players of all levels of play are encountering several life changing symptoms.  Many have trouble putting a sentence together.  Others can't remember a few hours ago much less days ago.  Depression has also been found in players as a result.

This issue has been brought to light to a greater extend with the suicide of former Bear Dave Duerson.  Duerson, who was on an NFL committee on head trauma, had several problems in the final decade of his life.  He was having trouble formulating words to communicate with people, had severe headaches, and fought depression.  Last Friday, Duerson shot himself in the chest leaving behind a note saying to donate his brain to be studied, especially the left side.  Friends of Duerson said he wasn't the same person in his final years.

Several players past and present have already committed to having their brains donated after their death.  Of the already deceased players who have donated their brain (some with and without symptoms), something like 19 of 20 were found to have CTE. Chris Henry's brain was donated after his death, and he too was found to have CTE despite never being diagnosed with a concussion.

Another issue is the effects of high-school football on teens. Troy Aikman has gone on record as saying with the data that is out there, he would never allow his sons to play football at any level.  A recent Purdue study (link below) showed that high-school players who were never even diagnosed with a concussion, showed signs of CTE from the repetitive hits.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/10/101007171417.htm

Bernstein believes that nothing should change in football.  The game is what it is: a violent game.  What he believes should happen, however, is that parents and children should be fully educated on CTE prior to playing.

Personally, with the information that is out there, I would not allow my children to play football should they so desire.  What are your thoughts?

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
Re: Brain Trauma From Football
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 05:16:56 PM »
The reason Dave Duerson shot himself in the chest.

Chris Nowinski, co-director of the Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy at Boston University School of Medicine, said Duerson's family contacted him to examine Duerson's brain for abnormalities related to chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a degenerative brain disease found in those who have a history of repetitive brain trauma, including concussions.

"He had informed (his family) at some point that he wanted his brain to be studied so people could learn more about the effect of brain trauma and so kids could play the game more safely in the future," Nowinski said.

"The family requested that I confirm that Mr. Duerson's brain was donated to our research center, and it was Mr. Duerson's wishes."

Nowinski also said the family provided the appropriate release forms so the brain could be studied, a process that should take between three to six months.

"NFL players are at higher risk for CTE than normal people and probably other athletes as well," Nowinski said. "Of the 14 former NFL players we've completed studies on, 13 of them had the disease."

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/02/report-duerson-died-of-self-inflicted-gunshot-wound.html

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 06:24:04 PM »
Oops.  I said 19 of 20 in my first post.  That article has it has 13 or 14.

Good find SaintPaul.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 06:28:41 PM »
I can say that my child will not play football.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 09:40:11 PM »
If my sons want to play football, I'm not going to stand in their way. Granted, they're 19-months-old so we've got some time.

In all honesty, I think this study is a bit of an overreaction and I don't think that CTE is the epidemic that some people (not anyone specific on this board) are making it out to be. For the most part, the players who donated their brains had a reason to do so other than just "in the name of science." Duerson obviously had depression and other signs of CTE. Current Bears' LB Hunter Hillenmeyer has also said he would donate his brain. Not coincidentally, he spent most of last season on IR with a concussion.

There are millions of men who played football at the high school level and above currently in the US and I find it impossible to believe that 93% of them are suffering from CTE. I would actually find it hard to believe that 3% are suffering from CTE. I'm not disregarding CTE or trying to say that it should be ignored. However, I'm not ready to tell my sons not to play Pop Warner football because a small percentage of ex-NFLers had brain trauma.

EDIT: 93% comes from 13 of 14 from the study

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:26:40 PM »
Had Hub on 670 tonight, he was talking about the tackling sleds that came out in the 70s that has lead to tackling head first as a big cause. 

really sad about DD.  also makes the CBA negotiations a little more interesting.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 09:52:10 AM »
Oops.  I said 19 of 20 in my first post.  That article has it has 13 or 14.

Good find SaintPaul.

Sorry...how many of those 13 of 14 decided to kill themselves, leaving 4 children behind? This suicide had more to do with Duerson's "image" taking some major blows in the last several years than his head. Tragedy, yes. But I am not inclinced to point the finger at his football career as the cause for putting a gun to your chest. And no study of his brain will explain that, either.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 10:15:06 AM »
For the most part, the players who donated their brains had a reason to do so other than just "in the name of science."

How old was Chris Henry when he died?  26?  The researchers asked his family if they could examine his brain and he had CTE.  He never had any symptoms or concussions.

They've studied quite a few brains of players with no symptoms who had CTE as well.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 10:20:17 AM »
Sorry...how many of those 13 of 14 decided to kill themselves, leaving 4 children behind? This suicide had more to do with Duerson's "image" taking some major blows in the last several years than his head. Tragedy, yes. But I am not inclinced to point the finger at his football career as the cause for putting a gun to your chest. And no study of his brain will explain that, either.

This is true.  Duerson recently filed for bankruptcy as well.  His problems in life were the cause of his suicide.  By no means do I think he was a hero, killing himself in the name of science.  He took the easy way out and left his family and friends lots of problems. 

I just brought him up to show that he felt so strongly about having his brain studied that he shot himself in the chest.  You are still alive after that. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 12:40:04 PM »
How old was Chris Henry when he died?  26?  The researchers asked his family if they could examine his brain and he had CTE.  He never had any symptoms or concussions.

They've studied quite a few brains of players with no symptoms who had CTE as well.

True. That's why I said, "for the most part."

It should also be stated that some of the players, like Henry, never had any reported/confirmed concussions. I'm almost positive that I got a concussion when I was undercut in a HS basketball game. I told the trainer I was fine, it was never confirmed by a doctor and I didn't miss any practices or games, but that doesn't mean I didn't have a concussion. Again, not saying that CTE should be ignored or isn't a potential problem. Just saying that I don't believe this study paints the whole picture.

feedback