collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Article on Golden Eagles, Buzz & Newbill  (Read 6024 times)

mikem91288

• Team Captain
Re: Article on Golden Eagles, Buzz & Newbill
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 02:11:55 AM »
Wow. Good for DJ.

Not exactly what any of us want to hear though.

Not sure how much time on the floor he would see in this conference.
Warrior in the class of 2011.

Ron Paul

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 03:03:52 AM »
Posted something similar a few days ago and it was removed from the board...hope you have better luck.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 05:27:10 AM »
Not exactly what any of us want to hear though.

Why?  There was nothing disparaging about Buzz or MU in the article.

drbob

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 06:43:26 AM »
That's 2 poor decisions by Buzz.  I recall him saying Lamb wanted to come to MU also, but was deemed not good enough.   Both these guys look pretty good now

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
‘Nothing disparaging?’
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 06:48:58 AM »

Why?  There was nothing disparaging about Buzz or MU in the article.

So it is acceptable for a post to be removed from this site if it contains comments that are “disparaging” toward Buzz Williams or Marquette University?

Please tell me that no one here is even remotely supportive of removing posts from this site for any reason.

The Sultan of South Wayne, you would want something yanked from this site because it disparaged our coach or our university? Really?

We do not seek, encourage and demand the free exchange of thoughts, ideas and opinions, especially those that are “disparaging?”
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 06:55:42 AM by MU Avenue »

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 07:04:50 AM »
Good for DJ.  Sounds like he's a mature young man who has the good sense to use what happened as motivation to be the best player he can be. 

He never would have started from day one at Marquette, so maybe in the end this will have turned out to be the best thing for him. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 07:06:41 AM »
Below is the entire reference to MU.  I don;t see a problem with it.  It's all true and has been covered here numerous times.

While Newbill has been an impact player for the Golden Eagles all season, he had plans to suit up for another group of Golden Eagles when he signed with Marquette in April of last year.

He was cut loose from his letter of intent in the summer by Marquette coach Buzz Williams, who wanted to make room for Oregon transfer Jamil Wilson.

The controversial decision left Newbill in limbo, looking for a place to land.

"It was real tough," Newbill said. "I had to fight through it. But I can't get down. I had to move on to the next project."

That's when USM entered nto the picture.

"I got released from (Marquette) in July and Southern Miss was recruiting one of the players that went to high school with me, Dwayne Davis," Newbill said. "He's one of my best friends. I needed a school so my mentor, Stan Laws, told them about me. They wanted to check me out and see if I'd be able to visit. I came up here, had a couple of open court games with the guys, the coaches liked me and they offered me a scholarship. I felt comfortable. I just signed."

----

anyone buying this part or is Eustachy spending too much time chasing sorority girls again ...

Eustachy believes big things are ahead for Newbill.

"I think he can play in the NBA," the seventh-year USM coach said. "I think he can play the point. He's extremely athletic, can guard a point. He can only become a better shooter. He'll only become a better skill player. He's got it. He's got the mental makeup that you've got to have for his size to play at the next level. Time will prove it."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 07:19:50 AM »
Posted something similar a few days ago and it was removed from the board...hope you have better luck.

It was not removed but the topic was moved to the Superbar where it belongs.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=24579.msg273576#msg273576

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 07:46:08 AM »
Hmmmm... This story is not written the way the apologists have spun it.
I guess we will never know.

As a side note, Eustachy is a real gem o0f a coach. Before Iopwa State canned him, he liked to party with the cheerleaders. Drink beer and play kissy face with them.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 08:16:06 AM »
Hmmmm... This story is not written the way the apologists have spun it.
I guess we will never know.

You're right, We never will. Because like every other story on the subject, it contains one side's version of things. Its water underthe bridge, and its hard to even care anymore.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 10:01:44 AM »
Its conference USA people....everyone was so excited about blue when we were playing lesser competition now many rip him. I think its safe to say he wouldn't be averaging 9 and 7 in the big east. Vander was averaging 10 and 3.5 rebounds entering conference. Not saying DJ wont be a good player or that buzz handled situation correctly but good grief.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 11:15:27 AM »
Its conference USA people....everyone was so excited about blue when we were playing lesser competition now many rip him. I think its safe to say he wouldn't be averaging 9 and 7 in the big east. Vander was averaging 10 and 3.5 rebounds entering conference. Not saying DJ wont be a good player or that buzz handled situation correctly but good grief.

CUSA is not a bad league.  In fact, they have wins against teams we haven't beaten this year...Gonzaga, etc

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 11:28:36 AM »
CUSA is not a bad league.  In fact, they have wins against teams we haven't beaten this year...Gonzaga, etc

Memphis beat Gonzaga. What wins are the "etc" representing?

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 11:45:51 AM »
CUSA is not a bad league.  In fact, they have wins against teams we haven't beaten this year...Gonzaga, etc

Agreed but looking at the Sagarin rankings, Southern Miss has not played a single Top 50 team ALL YEAR.  That is mind boggling given we have played 7 Top 25 teams ON THE ROAD (incl. Duke neutral game).

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 11:56:27 AM »
Memphis beat Gonzaga. What wins are the "etc" representing?

Let me guess, he was referring to teams we haven't actually played...Can't beat 'em if you don't play 'em.

Then again, perhaps by "we" he is referring to Indiana.

Of course, there is always the most logical explanation, that he is talking out of his arse to continue to try to make a case against Buzz (who he won't judge until he has been on the job for 5 seasons).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 12:21:06 PM »
Let me guess, he was referring to teams we haven't actually played...Can't beat 'em if you don't play 'em.

Then again, perhaps by "we" he is referring to Indiana.

Of course, there is always the most logical explanation, that he is talking out of his arse to continue to try to make a case against Buzz (who he won't judge until he has been on the job for 5 seasons).

The we was the Big East Conference.  CUSA has some wins against teams the Big East doesn't or the Big East has split with.  Sorry that wasn't clear.

I'm not making any case for or against Buzz, Navin.  You can continue to live in your sheltered world that people are against him, but that's not the case.  I would like nothing more than for him to be here 10+ years because that means he's kicking butt.  Whether you believe me or not, I don't particularly care.  In the meantime, yes I will not crawl into a hole and just accept everything that comes out of the MU offices as gospel or 100% right.  I'm not a drone, I can actually think for myself.  Try it sometime.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 01:11:06 PM »

Conference SOS:

Marquette - 5
Southern Miss - 82

As was said, Newbill is not facing nearly the same type of competition as he would have at MU, it's an apples and oranges comparison.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/teams/rpi/MARQET/marquette-golden-eagles
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/teams/rpi/USM/southern-miss-golden-eagles

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 01:49:19 PM »
The we was the Big East Conference.  CUSA has some wins against teams the Big East doesn't or the Big East has split with.  Sorry that wasn't clear.

LOL. Nice try. What bunch of crap. Name 'em.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 02:32:20 PM »
LOL. Nice try. What bunch of crap. Name 'em.

A bunch of crap....I await your apology any time now.  Like stealing candy from a baby..literally.

Memphis beat Gonzaga.  Marquette lost to Gonzaga
Memphis beat Marshall.  West Virginia lost to Marshall
Southern Miss beat USF.  Several Big East teams have lost in conference to USF
Memphis beat Miami.  West Virginia lost to Miami
UAB beat Marshall.  West Virginia lost to Marshall
UAB beat Arkansas.  Arkansas beat Seton Hall

Etc, etc  I can go on, but what's the point.  Whenever you want to issue that apology, I'll be ready.  SMOOCH

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 03:16:30 PM »
A bunch of crap....I await your apology any time now.  Like stealing candy from a baby..literally.

Memphis beat Gonzaga.  Marquette lost to Gonzaga
Memphis beat Marshall.  West Virginia lost to Marshall
Southern Miss beat USF.  Several Big East teams have lost in conference to USF
Memphis beat Miami.  West Virginia lost to Miami
UAB beat Marshall.  West Virginia lost to Marshall
UAB beat Arkansas.  Arkansas beat Seton Hall

Etc, etc  I can go on, but what's the point.  Whenever you want to issue that apology, I'll be ready.  SMOOCH

You are correct, but I'm sure there's twice as many the other way (teams the Big East has beaten but the CUSA hasn't).  CUSA is a mid-major conference.  The Big East is considered by many to be the best conference in the land.  The competition is not comparable. I'm not sure what your point was, other than trying to prove Navin's statement was false.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 04:59:16 PM »
A bunch of crap....I await your apology any time now.  

Nah. I'm good. You see, the bunch of crap was your back tracking claiming that 'we' referred to the Big East. So I'm gonna take your advice and think for myself, and yes I will not crawl into a hole and just accept everything that comes out of Chicos Bail Bonds as gospel or 100% right.  I'm not a drone, I can actually think for myself. You were referring to MU, and you know it...I am also gonna follow your example and fail to give you the benefit of the doubt. Why?  Because it helps support my position. Just like you.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 05:35:55 PM by NavinRJohnson »

GGGG

• All American
Re: ‘Nothing disparaging?’
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2011, 05:00:33 PM »
So it is acceptable for a post to be removed from this site if it contains comments that are “disparaging” toward Buzz Williams or Marquette University?

Please tell me that no one here is even remotely supportive of removing posts from this site for any reason.

The Sultan of South Wayne, you would want something yanked from this site because it disparaged our coach or our university? Really?

We do not seek, encourage and demand the free exchange of thoughts, ideas and opinions, especially those that are “disparaging?”

What the hell are you talking about?  Mikem said "Not exactly what any of us want to hear though."  When I read that, I thought he meant that the article said something disparaging about Buzz.  But the article didn't say anything that we didn't already know.  So why wouldn't any of us want to hear what it said??

Calm down man...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011, 11:57:14 PM »
Nah. I'm good. You see, the bunch of crap was your back tracking claiming that 'we' referred to the Big East. So I'm gonna take your advice and think for myself, and yes I will not crawl into a hole and just accept everything that comes out of Chicos Bail Bonds as gospel or 100% right.  I'm not a drone, I can actually think for myself. You were referring to MU, and you know it...I am also gonna follow your example and fail to give you the benefit of the doubt. Why?  Because it helps support my position. Just like you.

No back tracking at all, but if that's the way you feel, I can't help you.  You're going to do what you always do anyway. 

By the way, notice the separation of paragraphs in the post you are cherry picking from?  That's called a separation of ideas, a beginning of a new one (new paragraph).  Ah, never mind, you'll believe what you want to believe.  Enjoy yourself.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 11:48:41 AM »
Chicos, are you serious? So Southern Miss beat USF so that somehow validates Newbill's numbers...unreal. It's ranked like 9th in RPI, by my definition that's a bad league....and no where near the Big East, not even close.

So Cleveland beat the lakers and the lakers beat the celtics....Cleveland is the best team in the NBA. You my friend, are ridiculous.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 11:51:44 AM »
A bunch of crap....I await your apology any time now.  Like stealing candy from a baby..literally.

Memphis beat Gonzaga.  Marquette lost to Gonzaga
Memphis beat Marshall.  West Virginia lost to Marshall
Southern Miss beat USF.  Several Big East teams have lost in conference to USF
Memphis beat Miami.  West Virginia lost to Miami
UAB beat Marshall.  West Virginia lost to Marshall
UAB beat Arkansas.  Arkansas beat Seton Hall

Etc, etc  I can go on, but what's the point.  Whenever you want to issue that apology, I'll be ready.  SMOOCH

Let's not forget that Fordham and St. Bonnie beat St. John's and St. John's beat Duke and Pitt. That obviously means that the A-10 is right on par with the Big East and ACC.

I think it also means that Brett Roseboro would be dominating the Big East.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 01:59:29 PM »
Let's not forget that Fordham and St. Bonnie beat St. John's and St. John's beat Duke and Pitt. That obviously means that the A-10 is right on par with the Big East and ACC.

I think it also means that Brett Roseboro would be dominating the Big East.

Nope, it doesn't mean that nor did anyone say that.  I was simply pointing out this idea that CUSA sucks is a canard.  Wouldn't it be something if we made the NCAA tournament and played one of those really crappy CUSA teams...we should just steamroll.   ::)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 02:15:13 PM »
Nope, it doesn't mean that nor did anyone say that.  I was simply pointing out this idea that CUSA sucks is a canard.  Wouldn't it be something if we made the NCAA tournament and played one of those really crappy CUSA teams...we should just steamroll.   ::)

Does "we" mean Marquette this time? Or does it mean all of the Big East? Or do you want to wait for responses and then decide?