[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

If in Milwaukee area, what grade would you give the 1290am signal last night?

A
B
C
D
F

Author Topic: How's that wonderful radio signal on 1290 treating everyone?  (Read 5866 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
How's that wonderful radio signal on 1290 treating everyone?
« on: November 14, 2006, 12:49:23 AM »
As I said months ago, I don't know why MU went in that direction regardless of all the "marketing spin" that supposedly was going to be brought to the table by Karmizan, etc.

I've heard he's a good guy and a good businessman.....I just hope he can put our games on where people in SE Wisconsin can actually hear them.

From what I have heard from friends, the 1290 signal for the games has been horrific.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
Re: How's that wonderful radio signal on 1290 treating everyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 03:47:36 AM »
I can't get 1290 at all where I live.  I've noticed in my car I lose 1510 somewhere around 5p now (I believe it's  at sundown) and can't get even a faint bit of the sports 1290 until about 6p in my car.  But I can listen to Tennessee games on 1510 if I want :-).  I've listened to some of the last couple on the internet (at least that's available for free) but I miss being able to watch TV and listen at the same time - can't wait to get a laptop...

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 08:07:04 AM »
I'd not had any problems with 1290 until last night, so I think last night was an oddity.  I live about 6 miles north of the BC .. driving home, I heard some music bleeding into the 1290 signal .. when I listened to it at home, the static/hum was pretty bad.  -- And normally, the signal is decent at my house.

I'd still like to hear exactly when 1290 is going to boost their signal, if that's actually going to happen.  I'm guessing it won't happen in the next 4 months, though, then the season will be over.

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 08:14:30 AM »
I'm not in Milwaukee, but last Friday my DSL connection was down.  I listened to the game over the airwaves on 100.5 FM.  (Would have missed the game otherwise.)  I've never been able to do that at night before.  I understand the need to get the game out to the local market, but for selfish reasons I love the new setup. 

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 08:33:17 AM »
I had issues getting a good signal at the corner of Water and Humboldt last night.  ???
But I like to throw handfuls...

dl3rd

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 11:38:19 AM »
i listened to the game over the internet from connecticut...spotty.  anyway, i was just thinking.  maybe the reason mu moved to the espn station has to do with their affiliation with the big east.  i heard that espn owns the television rights to all big east games. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 11:53:12 AM »
I turned on the post game show at Wells and Van Buren, how crappy reception from there all the way to Prospect and North where it became almost unlistenable.  Hope this gets fixed cause it could turn out to be a REALLY bad move.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 12:20:22 PM »
Let me put my broken record back on the turntable.  I live in Hartland, roughly 30 miles straight west of the BC.  I turned on my stereo last night to listen to the game and got nothing resembling Homer's voice at 1290 on the dial.  I can get 1510 tuned in until they go off the air at 5:00PM.  I think I have heard faint tones coming from 1290 one time in the last month and it wasn't during an MU game.

I too have to listen to the game on the internet.  By the way, from a marketing standpoint I think this is a potential disaster.  I work with a few guys who are basketball fans (mostly UW though) who have tuned in (and attended) MU games in the past.  Do you really think anyone but a devoted fan is going to go to the trouble of tuning in the game over the internet?  I know these guys aren't.  If I hadn't attended MU, I am not so sure I would either.

There I will put away the broken record again.

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 12:58:16 PM »
We have to hope that the signal strength is increased sooner rather than later.  Homer has mentioned on his show several times that "we're working on it".   I think 100.5's signal runs to Watertown or so.  MUEng92, you should just move west about 30 miles and everything will be fine again.

Again on the plus side, this morning they announced the score in the 'sportsbreak' on 100.5 here in Madison, plus played some comments from Crean.  I honestly don't remember ever hearing a regular season MU score on a Madison radio station unless it was part of a rundown of all top 25 scores, much less an audio clip of the coach.  More exposure statewide is good.  We just need to bring back the Milwaukee exposure.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 01:13:56 PM »
I'm not in Milwaukee, but last Friday my DSL connection was down.  I listened to the game over the airwaves on 100.5 FM.  (Would have missed the game otherwise.)  I've never been able to do that at night before.  I understand the need to get the game out to the local market, but for selfish reasons I love the new setup. 

Your signal on FM should be good...I think the issue is more on the 1290 signal which has been very poor from what I'm hearing.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 03:14:09 PM »
I tried to listen to the postgame show on my way home from the BC last nite and had terrible reception all the way to Mequon (20+ miles).  Totally unacceptable.  This 1510/1290 thing is a joke.

dennycrane

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 05:08:50 PM »
We have to hope that the signal strength is increased sooner rather than later.  Homer has mentioned on his show several times that "we're working on it".   I think 100.5's signal runs to Watertown or so.  MUEng92, you should just move west about 30 miles and everything will be fine again.

Again on the plus side, this morning they announced the score in the 'sportsbreak' on 100.5 here in Madison, plus played some comments from Crean.  I honestly don't remember ever hearing a regular season MU score on a Madison radio station unless it was part of a rundown of all top 25 scores, much less an audio clip of the coach.  More exposure statewide is good.  We just need to bring back the Milwaukee exposure.

100.5 signal is so weak I can not pick it up over the air at my home in Madison. I can listen in my car but that is spotty. I lost the signal 3 times on my 5 minute drive home from work tonight.

Lock and Load!

Eye

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 11:07:57 PM »
Be happy for a score in Madison. Not even a score, let alone a highlight or two, on the La Crosse TV stations the first three games. >:(
GO WARRIORS!

mviale

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 11:10:10 PM »
works fine for me in northern cal
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 11:12:49 PM »
Driving south on 94 tonight after the game, not even out of Milwaukee Co and I started to lose the signal.  Missed Coach's postgame comments. >:(

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 09:44:32 AM »
Be happy for a score in Madison. Not even a score, let alone a highlight or two, on the La Crosse TV stations the first three games. >:(

It's not so much Marquette highlights on TV here in Madison as it is Matthews highlights.  The only highlights shown are Matthews' baskets.  Last night channel 15 started out the highlights by showing Matthews' introduction pose, then showed all 6 of his made baskets.  No other highlights.  The day before they showed one Matthews basket, no more.  But I'll take what I can get.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 10:49:06 PM »
I get the idea that's going to be the extent of the coverage here in La Crosse the next few years with SC. But that will actually be a vast improvement!
GO WARRIORS!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 11:44:08 PM »
First of all the signal strength is not an issue b/c IWB said so.  Back in July he said this was a good move.  And IWB has never been wrong.

Secondly...lets pick what the headline in the Journal will be tomorrow:

A) MU renounces its relationship with French Missionaries
B) MU names Devin Harris best player ever from Tosa East
C) MU nominates Skyline for Nat'l Chili of the Year
D) MU says "screw it" to whole Cathlolic thing

Glad to know that after the George Thompson mess it cannot get worse...whoops I thought that after "Gold"
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart