Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The real reason MU and the BE got shafted........  (Read 2420 times)

Harrison

• Team Captain
The real reason MU and the BE got shafted........
« on: March 12, 2007, 01:19:13 PM »
Was because their was no Big East representative in the room.  The ACC got their teams and good seeds.  Mike Slime got Arkanasas and got good seeds and the guy from the Big Ten was there reprenting his conference and got Purdue and Illinois in despite their lack of merit. Pac 10 got all their teams and good seeds to boot.  When push comes to shove those guys are going to vote for their schools and scratch each others backs at the expense of the guys with no representation.  The Big East lost one school that should be there and arguably 2. Additionally it can be easily argued every Big East team but GT got significantly shafted on seeding.  Tranghese has got to be livid.   I wonder if there will ever be a time when the ACC, B11, SEC, or PAC-10 dont have representation...I doubt it.

Now with that being said every year the teams that complain they should have been in the NCAA and the teams in the NCAA that complain about their seed seem to flame out in the first round.  Let's hope the team has put this behind them or at a minimum has a chip on their shoulder and let's go make some noise.  One could argue MSU should be an 11 or 12 seed giving us the equivalent of a 5 seed, and every expert has tabbed UNC as the most volernable as they are even younger than us.  Go Marquette!!

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: The real reason MU and the BE got shafted........
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 01:55:08 PM »
I'm as disappointed with the seeding as anyone.  But now it's time for Marquette to prove it.  I've complained all day that the Big East got too little respect and the Big Ten got too much.  Hopefully Marquette will do its share to help prove my point. 
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MUCHI814

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 02:02:35 PM »
Bottomline, when it comes to the tournament you need to play well no matter who you're playing, a lot of it's luck and a lot of it is how you play.  Judging from the highs/lows of this year we've seen two totally different teams.  One team that has proven it can compete and maybe beat any team in the country and the other has proven that it could take a first round exit no problem.  This tournament is gonna depend 100% on Marquette, not who they play.  It's all about which one of our teams is gonna show up.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 04:18:14 PM »
Time to prover the seeders wrong
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Nukem2

• All American
WRONG.
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 04:27:08 PM »
MU was dropped to an 8 because you can't face  a conference foe until a regional final.  Unfortunately, G-Town, Pitt, ND and "Ville received 2, 3, and 6 seeds.  As such, if you run through how the brackets work in the second round and the Sweet 16, MU had to be either a 5 or an 8.  Obviously, MU was not going to get a 5, so it was dropped to an 8 because of the rule.  Now, if either ND or the Ville had gotten a 5 seed, MU could have received a 6 or 7.  Simply a function of the rule and how the brackets work.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
Politics, politics, politics
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 05:44:05 PM »
I coach a girls basketball team.  Every game the girls come out off the floor complaining that the players on the other team are pushing, elbowing, grabbing, talking mean.  Every game the refs make bad calls all against us and the girls complain.  The point is, these things are all part of the game.  You can either wine about it, or find a way to overcome it.

The Big East got shafted because this year they did not play the politics very well.  Is it disappointing? "Yes"  Is it surprising? "No"  Not if you don't protect yourself and cover all bases.  I assume the BE will learn from this and take steps to protect its teams in the future.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 08:31:50 PM »
I agree on the fact it is time to shut up and play ball.  Here is a different take on it.  It could be widely argued that MSu did not deserve a 9 seed either, more like a 10 or an 11 given their lack of doing anything but beating Wisky at home.  So we got underseeded and they got over seeded...all things being correct we should be a 6 playing an 11.  Seems to me we are playing an 11.  Noe the second round is a different story but lets win the first game and take a crack at them, heck VT swept them.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 11:40:54 PM »
Valid point, Harrison...  Makes me feel a lot better about opponent, too.  I have concerns about matchups, but I'd have those whomever we played.  I still have problems w/ committee bending over for big ten.

feedback