Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We Are Who We Think We Are...a good team that can't win on the road  (Read 5697 times)

77fan88warrior

• All American
Re: We Are Who We Think We Are...a good team that can't win on the road
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 08:10:01 PM »
I think we were all spoiled the Amigo's freshmen year when we had mild expectations and high hopes but they overachieved. Some of us were just hoping to have an athletic team that would grow together. The year before Novak looked horrible because he couldn't handle the ball and his senior year he looked great due to Amigo's ball movement. We also had some more experienced players coming off the bench to aid these players.
 This year our expectations were raised by our performance against Duke and seeing Gardner score points down low early in the season. We soon found out that Gardner didn't fit into Buzz's defensive scheme and that Blue and Cadougan had shooting difficulties. A lot of our expectations of the freshmen failed to materialize but our hopes remained high. When friends asked me about MU early in the season I told them that I thought we could be very good or mediocre. This group was unproven and I think that they will be much better next season. I think JB really benefited from Hayward's presence last year along with Cubillan's and Acker's outside shooting. This team obviously misses a go to scorer but they also miss a strong leader. I mean this as no slight to JB as he is an individual that leads by example and doesn't have God given leadership skills.
I don't have any statistics to back it up but I also think that this team goes up and down with Crowder's and JB's 3 point shooting.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 08:10:09 PM »
No Senior Leadership, Low Basketball IQ, and a coach still learning on the run-puts Marquette in the position that they are in. plain and simple

... and what position is that?  They cannot beat top 25 teams on the road/neutral ('nova, G-Town, ND, Pitt, Vandy and Duke) but can beat them at home (WVU, ND and Syracuse).

This is your definition of low bball IQ and a coach that is learning?

Marq

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 08:39:52 PM »
... and what position is that?  They cannot beat top 25 teams on the road/neutral ('nova, G-Town, ND, Pitt, Vandy and Duke) but can beat them at home (WVU, ND and Syracuse).

This is your definition of low bball IQ and a coach that is learning?

The position im speaking of is the 9th place that they are currently in. And the low B Ball IQ is speak of is failure to do the simple things like boxing out consistantly, feeding the post, making the extra pass. And I think most people on this board would agree that Buzz is still learning on the job.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 09:54:22 PM »
I think we are a team that works very hard but we simply do not have the talent that teams in the upper half of the BE have.  Jimmy is a good second or 3rd option but can't carry the team like other team's "best player" can.  DJO is too inconsistant.  Buycks does not provide the steadying enfluence you need from a senior (way too mistake prown) JC, Blue, Gardner still a year or more away.  I don't see this team being able to win 5 of their next 6.  Last year's team had gotten to a point where they could do it, this year's team is just not quite as good. 
The signs have been there all year.  A near loss to Bucknell at home, played UWM way too close.  We've been close against the better teams BUT not as close as last year (beat on the last possession or ball at the end with a chance to win or tie).  To borrow Buzz's phrase we have no margin for error.  Do one thing substandard (miss free throws, turn to ball over more than normal, shoot poorly) and we can't recover.
I'm hoping it is a transitional year and next year the combination of improvement and new players more than make up for the guys we are losing.  I don't think we'll find these guys as tough to replace as last years seniors so I'm hopeful that next year we'll be able to win against better teams even when not at our absolute best.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
The position im speaking of is the 9th place that they are currently in. And the low B Ball IQ is speak of is failure to do the simple things like boxing out consistantly, feeding the post, making the extra pass. And I think most people on this board would agree that Buzz is still learning on the job.

First, you realize that the other team is trying to win the game?  And the other team is a top 10 team (will be next week).

Second regarding boxing out, Outle had a career high 9 rebounds.  MU had 33 rebounds, GU had 32. MU had 7 offense rebounds GU had 6.  

Feeding the post?  MU scored 18 points from the "5" today (DG = 12, CO = 6).  This was far and away the best performance from the post this year.

Making the extra pass?  I thought the problem was too many passes, see Buycks forced TOs today.

Buzz is still learning?  Coach K is still learning.

In sum, did you watch the game today because the low BB IQ are these comments.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 10:17:13 PM »
COUNT IT, MOTHERF!@#ER!!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 06:12:59 AM »
Well, perhaps in DJO's opinion, the ref is a MF'er. Said ref took exception to the nickname and acted in a like manner.
In any regard, really dumb ass move on the MU player's part.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 06:52:51 AM »
I think we are a team that works very hard but we simply do not have the talent that teams in the upper half of the BE have.  Jimmy is a good second or 3rd option but can't carry the team like other team's "best player" can.  DJO is too inconsistant.  Buycks does not provide the steadying enfluence you need from a senior (way too mistake prown) JC, Blue, Gardner still a year or more away.  I don't see this team being able to win 5 of their next 6.  Last year's team had gotten to a point where they could do it, this year's team is just not quite as good. 
The signs have been there all year.  A near loss to Bucknell at home, played UWM way too close.  We've been close against the better teams BUT not as close as last year (beat on the last possession or ball at the end with a chance to win or tie).  To borrow Buzz's phrase we have no margin for error.  Do one thing substandard (miss free throws, turn to ball over more than normal, shoot poorly) and we can't recover.
I'm hoping it is a transitional year and next year the combination of improvement and new players more than make up for the guys we are losing.  I don't think we'll find these guys as tough to replace as last years seniors so I'm hopeful that next year we'll be able to win against better teams even when not at our absolute best.
Methinks your analysis points the finger squarely at the coach.
Two years ago 11-7
Last year 10-8

This year 9-9? With all Buzz's guys. Is there a trend here?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 06:57:05 AM »
Methinks your analysis points the finger squarely at the coach.
Two years ago 11-7
Last year 10-8

This year 9-9? With all Buzz's guys. Is there a trend here?

So years, conference schedules and talent levels are the same?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 07:10:44 AM »
Not to mention we were actually 11-7 last year, 12-6 the year before. And this year isn't over, so 9-9 means nothing. Nice try though willie.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2011, 10:29:24 PM »
Well, perhaps in DJO's opinion, the ref is a MF'er. Said ref took exception to the nickname and acted in a like manner.
In any regard, really dumb ass move on the MU player's part.

I just thought Another made a great post, and I prefer the, 'Count It, B---h' to the +1 or +1,000,000.  Based on all the reactions I have seen throughout the course of the year in NCAA basketball there is no 'respect for the game' rule.  I, for one, would prefer there is.  I like it in the NBA.  Until then, 'count it, dumb a--' should be no less acceptable than 'AAAANNNND OONNNEE!!'  every time a guy gets touched on a drive.  Or Pitt players complaining on every foul call.

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2011, 01:39:06 AM »
The sad thing about this is it in not enjoyable for me to watch MU games anymore because we are this type of team.  It really gets old getting yourself excited when you see MU play a great half of basketball like they did today and then come out and play a terrible second half.  When you expect to blow the lead every game, it just is not fun watching it.  I will always love and cheer for MU, yet the "Sitting on the Edge of your seat"waiting to see how MU is going to blow it is no fun at all.

I disagree

While i obviously wish that Marquette would have won at least two more games among the close losses to greatly improve the chances for an NCAA Tournament bid, i enjoy that we play in so many close games.

I watch sports mainly because i find it good entertainment. Well, close games in any sport can certainly be stressful to watch, but for me it's that "Sitting on the Edge of your seat" tension in close games which makes sports so much fun to watch.

Yea, it is entertaining to watch a team you follow just flat out whip another good team, but i think for most fans, it's those tension filled close games that you remember most, win or lose. Blowouts for me cease to stay interesting all game long unless it's against a rival. Unfortunately though, teams a fan cheers for will lose a bunch of those tension filled close games and that can bring with it the gut-punch feeling.

feedback