[Today at 09:54:20 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: jamil wilson  (Read 15380 times)

Boone

• All American
Re: jamil wilson
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 01:38:43 PM »
Benford says Wilson's up to 225 lbs. The kid's completely bought into the program. Will be a perfect replacement for Jimmy.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 03:44:34 PM »
Another interesting comment about Wilson is that it seems he has grown taller.  When you watch the players huddle, Wilson seems as tall or taller than the "ox."  That would make him 6'8" or 9".

I noticed this too.  Unless he is wearing shoes with a big heel, he seems to be the second tallest player on the team after O'tule when you see them all huddled up.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 04:06:26 PM »
The first human victory cigar ever to crack the starting lineup.

That is funny

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2011, 06:24:59 PM »
Benford says Wilson's up to 225 lbs. The kid's completely bought into the program. Will be a perfect replacement for Jimmy.

From watching him play this summer, and not much can be taken from those games, I'd call him soft.  I'm glad to see he's putting on some weight...hopefully he'll have the mental toughness of Jimmy, but that's a pretty rare quality.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 09:25:30 PM »
Avid, you are right.  JW will struggle in the first 10 games or so, hopefully by the Big East season he will get it, Crowder
has really improved from Dec. to Jan.  With 4 seasoned players coming back, I do not see the team on his back.  Vander,
Jones and even Anderson are in the wings so depth should be pretty good at the small forward position and the 2 guard.
Buzz might recruit another 2 guard as well, so depth might be OK, of course, it does not mean Buzz will use it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 02:15:15 PM »
Not sure if anyone noticed during the game, when Buzz called a TO that setup the corner 3 by JFB, right at the end of the TO, Wilson steps into JFB's grill yells something at him, they pound chests, and 5 seconds later JFB releases the 3, and before it goes in, Wilson threw the 3 googles and stands up, knew it the whole way.

Can't wait to see this kid play!

I didn't notice this.  Would love to see it.  Anyone?

Just bumping this thread in case GuyIncognito might be interested in posting/willing to post another clip from the game.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

deerchaser

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 02:30:45 PM »
Just bumping this thread in case GuyIncognito might be interested in posting/willing to post another clip from the game.

StillAWarrior, if you have access to ESPN3 the whole game is archived on there.  I just re-watched the end of the game to see if I could see this happen, but no luck.  Jamil was tapping Jae on the chest a bunch in one of the TO's but nothing with Jimmy.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 02:36:09 PM »
Another thing I noticed during the Syracuse game.  
During a timeout in the second half Jamil was sent on a recognizance mission.

He was standing near half-court and peering into the Syracuse huddle.  He was repeatedly communicating his observations to Jamie McNeilly who was sharing with the rest of the coaching staff.

I don't know if Jamil was determining the personnel SU had checked into the game or stealing offensive/defensive sets, but I thought it was obvious and interesting.  

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 02:39:01 PM »
StillAWarrior, if you have access to ESPN3 the whole game is archived on there.  I just re-watched the end of the game to see if I could see this happen, but no luck.  Jamil was tapping Jae on the chest a bunch in one of the TO's but nothing with Jimmy.

Thanks.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 03:28:51 PM »
Another thing I noticed during the Syracuse game.  
During a timeout in the second half Jamil was sent on a recognizance mission.

He was standing near half-court and peering into the Syracuse huddle.  He was repeatedly communicating his observations to Jamie McNeilly who was sharing with the rest of the coaching staff.

I don't know if Jamil was determining the personnel SU had checked into the game or stealing offensive/defensive sets, but I thought it was obvious and interesting.  

Jamie writes on the white board who is in and who from MU is guarding them.  As the huddle breaks he holds the board up and the players check.  Jamil was probably checking if any subs were checking in with the scorer. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2011, 03:41:02 PM »
I heard he has bad body language.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2011, 03:46:24 PM »
I don't understand why you wouldn't think he'd come out of the gates hot.  He played every game but 6 as a freshman. He had 17 games with 15+ minutes per game (yes, i know, most in non-con play).  Going into this season he was our 4th most experienced player.
Now he is now spending a full year practicing with a team that could finish 5th in the big east.  Playing against butler & crowder everyday won't prepare him for our first 10 cream puffs?  

Wilson has BEast new comer of the year written all over him.  I think it's a toss up between him and Blue who will be our 3rd best player.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2011, 03:47:09 PM »

Seems an odd thing to say, he always seems to be hyped and excited on the bench. Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention, or maybe my seats are too far away, but his body language seems fine.

I'm sure I'm dreaming when I say this, but I am hoping Wilson can be our Wesley Johnson. A year in the system should be enough to help him acclimate, and adding possibly an inch and 15 pounds of muscle should have him ready physically to handle the rigors of the season. Crossing my fingers, but I think he could be really good.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2011, 03:55:39 PM »
Navin must be kidding. Jamil's the polar opposite on the sidelines. While he was hurt and missed some summer league games, the year on the sidelines bulking up, learning the system and working on his game will do wonders for him next season.

warriors1965

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2011, 04:51:08 PM »

Wow, I heard the exact opposite.  One of the hardest workers as well as being one of the most talented guys.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2011, 05:14:32 PM »
I don't understand why you wouldn't think he'd come out of the gates hot.  He played every game but 6 as a freshman. He had 17 games with 15+ minutes per game (yes, i know, most in non-con play).  Going into this season he was our 4th most experienced player.
Now he is now spending a full year practicing with a team that could finish 5th in the big east.  Playing against butler & crowder everyday won't prepare him for our first 10 cream puffs?  

Wilson has BEast new comer of the year written all over him.  I think it's a toss up between him and Blue who will be our 3rd best player.

Agree. Given his two summers/preseasons and one full regular season of workouts in the "Marquette way", Wilson should hit the ground running come November. We should know early what we've got.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2011, 05:22:57 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and say a guy who's modeled his user profile after The Jerk was probably kidding about Wilson having bad body language.
No Finish Line

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2011, 02:03:54 PM »
And I'll branch out further on that pretty solid limb in suggesting that ol' Navin is a Chi-town "hater" who saw a chance to pour a little fuel on the Jay Cutler fire.

That stuff is more snarky than funny, but everybody in the blogosphere can test material whenever they want in forums just like this.

I think he's just stirrin' the pot.  'Cause he can.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2011, 10:58:17 AM »
http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2011/02/mutv-sports-catches-up-with-warriors.html

Wilson talks about his clothing choices about the 4:45 mark.  Pretty funny.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2011, 12:17:55 PM »
Good thread..however lets maybe a little more realistic...better then DJo, Butler and Crowder?...If so then we better be talking Sweet 16 next year!...We have heard these kind of rumers before...Dan Fitzgerald was "tearing it up", DJO was going to maybe be a one and done?...I think he is a good talent but certainly needs to raise his intensity etc.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2011, 12:34:05 PM »
The best think about Jamil is that he is going against Jae and JFB every day in practice.   If he can hold his own against those two, and bring it every day and every game next year, he will be fine. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback