Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: JP tokoto and Marquette  (Read 13044 times)

Marquette65

• Starter
Re: JP tokoto and Marquette
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2011, 01:55:02 PM »
As was stated b/4 JP is UNC's to loose although Drew's departure today may give pause.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2011, 02:03:00 PM »
What could Drew's departure have at all to do with JPT?

Drew wouldn't have been there anyway when JPT got there.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2011, 02:11:30 PM »
What could Drew's departure have at all to do with JPT?

Drew wouldn't have been there anyway when JPT got there.

You beat me to it. Unless the Drew family are close friends with the Tokotos how does this matter?

Marquette65

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2011, 02:21:53 PM »
It matters because it shows that Old Roy will recruit over anyone.  JP may think, " what if I have a slow freshman year" is Old Roy then going over me?

Buzz can say, I won't recruit anyone directly behind you year wise, which may be enough to push JP to MU.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2011, 02:25:50 PM »
It matters because it shows that Old Roy will recruit over anyone.  JP may think, " what if I have a slow freshman year" is Old Roy then going over me?

Buzz can say, I won't recruit anyone directly behind you year wise, which may be enough to push JP to MU.

Larry Drew is a junior point guard.  He's lost time to a incoming freshman.  I certainly think that Buzz would try to increase the talent here...just like Roy would.  If you lose time to a freshman, well, that's his issue.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2011, 02:27:59 PM »

The day Buzz starts promising high school kids that he won't recruit over them is the day I want Marquette to start looking for a new coach. 
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2011, 02:34:32 PM »
OK...isn't that the point of this forum?  To talk about MU basketball?

/rant

Of course it is, and I don't get why people ever post that question as if it's some sort of legitimate argument.  I posted that I found the complaining tiresome, and I also posted some other things.  If agree, disagree, or don't care, feel free to say so.  However "isn't that the point of this forum?  To talk about MU basketball?" is a useless post.

I find those tiresome as well.  Does that make you feel better?

/end rant

I like what JP has to say in this article.  I think the top 5 earlier was totally bogus, and MU still has a good shot at him.  He's clearly already gelling with our team and coach - so why not. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2011, 02:34:42 PM »

Larry Drew is a junior point guard.  He's lost time to a incoming freshman.  I certainly think that Buzz would try to increase the talent here...just like Roy would.  If you lose time to a freshman, well, that's his issue.

Agreed. The idea that North Carolina (or any major program) wouldn't recruit a high school point guard because they have a sophmore who has guided them all the way to the NIT tournament is laughable.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2011, 02:36:35 PM »
The day Buzz starts promising high school kids that he won't recruit over them is the day I want Marquette to start looking for a new coach.  

So, if all that stood between MU and an elite, McDonald's AA-type player was Buzz's pledge not to sign another player at that kid's position for one year, you'd want Buzz fired?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 02:53:30 PM by Pakuni »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2011, 03:00:50 PM »
So, if all that stood between MU and an elite, McDonald's AA-type player was Buzz's pledge not to sign another player at that kid's position for one year, you'd want Buzz fired?

I'm leaning that way, yeah.  And I don't believe for a second Buzz would ever make that promise.  If that's what a kid wants/needs, I'm not sure I want that kid.  I don't want kids calling the shots for the program...that's why Buzz makes the big bucks.  By the way, even with "elite, McDonald's AA-type" players, there are no guarantees. 
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2011, 03:03:22 PM »
I'm leaning that way, yeah.  And I don't believe for a second Buzz would ever make that promise.  If that's what a kid wants/needs, I'm not sure I want that kid.  I don't want kids calling the shots for the program...that's why Buzz makes the big bucks.  By the way, even with "elite, McDonald's AA-type" players, there are no guarantees. 
+1

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2011, 03:20:01 PM »
/rant

Of course it is, and I don't get why people ever post that question as if it's some sort of legitimate argument.  I posted that I found the complaining tiresome, and I also posted some other things.  If agree, disagree, or don't care, feel free to say so.  However "isn't that the point of this forum?  To talk about MU basketball?" is a useless post.

I'm sorry but saying an argument is getting tiresome, without adding anything to the topic itself, is just as useless.  If it is tiresome to you, my suggestion is either ignore it, or add something to it.  It obviously isn't tiresome to me, the CS staff, or a number of others on this board.

pmi

• Walk-On
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2011, 03:29:12 PM »
http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/02/03/11/JP-Tokoto-on-possibility-of-Marquette-ge/landing.html?blockID=403733&feedID=5059

“Coach Buzz, he’s an awesome guy. I love coach Buzz,” Tokoto said as he began to chuckle. “He always says what he thinks and that’s a positive because you don’t want a coach telling you lies and just misleading you about anything. He says what’s on his mind and he tells the truth.

“He’s just a great guy. He seems like a great coach in practice. He’s cool, he’s calm and he’s collected. He actually coaches his guys. He doesn’t just yell at them, scream at them and tell them what they’re doing wrong. He’s positive. I love the way he coaches. I just love Coach as a guy.”

So you're saying there's a chance JP?

Thanks for posting my article.

To answer one responders comment, the "pros" that JP was referring to was in the sense of pros and cons.

Marquette writer for FoxSportsWisconsin.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/paulimig

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2011, 04:04:04 PM »

I'm sorry but saying an argument is getting tiresome, without adding anything to the topic itself, is just as useless.  If it is tiresome to you, my suggestion is either ignore it, or add something to it.  It obviously isn't tiresome to me, the CS staff, or a number of others on this board.

Sultan, you're really calling the kettle black here.  You're arguing without adding anything to the topic.

That being said,  Rocky did lay out why he thought that the 'Buzz's defense sucks' argument is wrong, which "added to the topic itself."

Quote from: Rocky_Warrior
[Buzz is] a relatively new and young head coach, and he's so far proven to be very adaptable on the offensive end, I have no reason to believe that he won't also get better on teaching/coaching defense.

Argue the point instead of arguing about how Rocky is arguing :P

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2011, 04:52:44 PM »
Will have zero impact on Tokoto situation other than Roy maybe turning up the heat because he'll have one less distraction to deal with at home.

Drew was a top 75 PG...not the usual Roy recruit and he (Roy) has been questioned/challenged about it since day one.....he certainly isn't a Felton, Lawson, Cota, Ford type UNC PG and he never made the UNC fanbase happy.

His dad forced him to stay in Cali to work out during the summers instead of doing the team thing in Chapel Hill which also upset many Tar Heel faithful....and teammates privately and not so privately....

The team is an entirely different team with F PG Marshall leading them....offense has exploded, players have all commented that he's a player's PG....is an amazing passer with far better court vision than Drew has ever shown...

Only bad thing from UNC perspective is timing....he should have been allowed/encouraged to transfer last year when he talked about it...he just had no takers.....if he had left, UNC would have either signed Ray McCallum or Quinn Cook .....timing stinks

Here's what the press is saying about it....

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-02-04/unc-point-guard-larry-drew-leaves-team

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/6090943/carolina-fine-larry-drew-ii

Not a loss in the long run....team chemistry will be better...truly addition by subtraction....

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2011, 05:09:54 PM »
Will have zero impact on Tokoto situation other than Roy maybe turning up the heat because he'll have one less distraction to deal with at home.

Drew was a top 75 PG...not the usual Roy recruit and he (Roy) has been questioned/challenged about it since day one.....he certainly isn't a Felton, Lawson, Cota, Ford type UNC PG and he never made the UNC fanbase happy.

I don't disagree that Drew's situation has no impact on Tokoto, but Drew was considered much better than a top 75 PG. He was considered by some a top 5 PG in his class and was a McDonald's AA. Obviously he hasn't lived up to those expectations, but I'm not sure many UNC fans were questioning Roy for signing him.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:12:41 PM by Pakuni »

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2011, 05:25:22 PM »
he was very over rated ..

His McDonald's AA selection was widely questioned and disputed....his rankings were as well....even by the hard core UNC fans who never take off their Carolina blue sunglasses.....many experts felt that he had maxed out early and never showed any real improvement after his sophomore year of HS... it was thin year for quality PGs and Roy took him out of desperation after the last top uncommitted prospect, Brandon Jennings, committed to Arizona when Ty Lawson's status (about returning) was up in the air.

The biggest thing that UNC fans disliked was that they never felt that he was a team player and had never "bought in"....he might have physically been in Chapel Hill but mentally he was 2500 miles away.

feedback