Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette-South Carolina 1972  (Read 35161 times)

texaswarrior74

• All American
Re: Marquette-South Carolina 1972
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 09:53:11 PM »
saw U
Yeah. Sunday afternoon, nationally televised game, 2nd ranked team in the nation, 18 minute brawl. one point game. ESPN would have wall to wall coverage and replays for the next 24 hours. Dickie V and the talking heads would be calling for NCAA action of some type.

I'm assuming the teams on the remainder of Marquette's schedule were a tad intimidated.

That was an amazing year....Allie was on the cover of the Feb 21 Sports illustrated.as " The Man Who Makes Marquette Go".....we camped out all night for season tickets...saw some great games,  but the SC game was one of the most memorable. We were 21-0 and ranked either # 1 or #2 when Jim Chones left for the ABA ...then U of Detroit stopped our 56 game winning streak........we lost to New Mexico State a week later, beat Ohio U in the first round of the NCAA and lost to Kentucky in the Sweet 16....had Chones stayed we'd have been playing UCLA for the Championship....

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 03:16:54 PM »
Those were the days when freshmen could not play varsity. Maurice Lucas was a freshman that year and thus could not spell or replace Chones when he left.  We always wondered what would have happened had he played with this great group.  Sixth man George Frazier replaced Chones or rather took the fifth starting spot with the lean MacNeil moving to the post.  Not the same team but still a good one.  I remember Frazier beating Tennesee with a long jumper at the end of regulation in Knoxville and he was not known as a great  shooter. 
I have a photo of Chones and Lucas sitting together at the old Arena. I have it sitting in a box somewhere...I know it's there...I will find it....I know I will...I'm going to the basement to look again...       

CHARLEY2017

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 04:12:52 PM »
I think Marquette lost to Florida State in the 1972 tournament. I saw the Warriors hammer Ohio in Knoxville and the Seminoles edge Eastern Kentucky in the 2nd game. It was Florida State that went on to beat Kentucky and Marquette after. They lost the chamionship game to UCLA by only five.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 06:12:25 PM »
Actually, Kentucky beat us and then lost to Florida State.  Those games were in Dayton, I was a freshman and traveled there (my first NCAA tourney), and just double-checked my
recollection, to be sure.
I still have that issue of Sports Illustrated with Allie on the cover.

RealChiliWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 12:30:57 AM »
This was one of the first nationally televised games for MU with one of their finest teams. 7' Jim Chones, 6'9 Larry MacNeil, and 6'6'' all muscle Bob Lackey were the front line. Lackey was much like Jae Crowder, muscular with a nice shooting touch. He looked tough with long black sideburns. We loved the Black Swan. The Warriors broke out brand-new uniforms no one saw before. They were a stunning irridescent teal, not baby blue.  SC was an all white team as were most of the ACC teams back then. SC had just left the ACC the previous year and Frank asked Al for game to compensate the loss of North Carolina on the schedule. 
The fight was amazing, it just kept going. They never played each other again. A shame.         

I recall seeing SC at the Arena during my four years 72-76.   The SC roster included B. Winters, K. Joyce, A. English, and M. Dunleavy.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 06:52:09 AM »

I recall seeing SC at the Arena during my four years 72-76.   The SC roster included B. Winters, K. Joyce, A. English, and M. Dunleavy.

Yes, as per usual, we kicked their asses.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2011, 09:38:34 AM »
Chones' recollection of the fight:

"For starters, the two coaches, Al and Frank McGuire, didn’t like each other very much. You know what it is like when two Irish guys don’t like each other, they don’t hold back. As for the game, we didn’t get a call for probably three quarters. They also had a 6-11 left hander who was just the enforcer in the ACC. I think his name was Richert or something. The entire South Carolina team just beat up other teams. Dean Smith even petitioned the league to put an end to it. So they had a huge team. They were very skilled too. There were cheap shots flying during the game like the kind that we would only see on the playground.

I will never forget it. Bob Lackey was on the free throw line and Richert took the ball and threw it at Lackey after he made his first free throw. Immediately after that, Lackey looked at Al and Al didn’t move. He was just sitting on the bench with his legs crossed. We all knew what that meant. Lackey picked the ball up and drilled Richert in the face. All of a sudden, there were people all over the floor and the two teams were fighting.

In the middle of the fight, Danny Traylor looks at me and was probably thinking, “He looks pretty skinny, I’ll go after him.” I actually got the guy pretty good. I popped him right in the chin actually. Soon after that, a security guard from the arena peeled me off of him. This guard opened his jacket and pulled out a gun on me and then, I knew the fight was over. But we whipped the (junk) out of them. The fans kept calling us racial names because we were mostly black and they didn’t have any black players. That was the times, you know? Through all of this, Al was still sitting on the bench with his legs crossed. Al finally got up and took all of us off of the floor and into the locker room. They already had all of our things packed in our bags and instead of staying over night, they told us we were getting out of South Carolina as soon as we could. It was incredible

groove

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2011, 09:55:43 AM »

groove

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2011, 02:05:04 PM »
I would love to see some of these old games. Other than the 1977 NCAA title game, anybody have access to or know of any games in the 1969-1977 range available anywhere?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2011, 02:23:52 PM »
I can probably tell you about each one of those games from memory.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 02:57:53 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2011, 02:27:02 PM »
4everwarriors--What was toughest loss for you during that time period? Loss to Ohio State in '72 and Indiana in '76 were toughest for me.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2011, 02:54:20 PM »
4everwarriors--What was toughest loss for you during that time period? Loss to Ohio State in '72 and Indiana in '76 were toughest for me.

Gary, any time we lost in the Tourney was a bitch. Was at both the above games, and I think losing in Athens to tOSU was devastating. Had a legit national championship team that season and I always wanted to see the Warriors match up with UCLA.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 02:55:59 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2011, 02:56:09 PM »
4everWarriors--Always wanted MU-UCLA matchup as well. I think the team that lost to OSU was our best team ever. Agreed on every NCAA loss hurting. Those two jump out to me as being ball busters though.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2011, 03:00:29 PM »
Was also at the ND game when the Iceman cut our heart out and busted the home winning streak. Another stiff kick to the heritage.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 03:03:37 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2011, 03:02:21 PM »
Was at the ND home loss and cried all the way to the car. The silence outside Arena after game was surreal. Make matters worse it was a rare day game and my tears to seen by everyone.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2011, 03:03:07 PM »

Gary, any time we lost in the Tourney was a bitch. Was at both the above games, and I think losing in Athens to tOSU was devastating. Had a legit national championship team that season and I always wanted to see the Warriors match up with UCLA.

The tOSU losss was the toughest for me.  I agree, very legitimate championship aspirations.  Another to me was '78 and the loss to Miami of Ohio.  Interestingly, both of those games had officials determine the outcome - the only time the Dream ever fouled out and the only T in Hank's career.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2011, 03:06:50 PM »
MuMac--The refs were big in both games. Miami of Ohio hurt to me because we lost to a team that we never would have lost to in Al era. Earlier that year we were ranked #1 and lost at Loyola. Never would happen under Al. The run was over for me after Miami loss.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2011, 03:10:07 PM »
Overall, the memories of some marvelous victories are forever etched in my mind. The young'uns on this board can't nearly comprehend, nor can I possibly accurately convene the thrill, emotion, excitement, and tradition of what was Marquette Warrior basketball.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2011, 03:12:50 PM »
4everWarriors---You said it!! It was bigger than the young fans would ever know. Glad to know I am not the only freak that still has those memories fresh in my mind.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2011, 03:13:22 PM »
MuMac--The refs were big in both games. Miami of Ohio hurt to me because we lost to a team that we never would have lost to in Al era. Earlier that year we were ranked #1 and lost at Loyola. Never would happen under Al. The run was over for me after Miami loss.

For me, the signal that ended the Al era was when we lost to De Paul in the tourney.  MU had the lead, and lost it.  That was bad enough, but watching De Paul beat us twice that year and with players who likely would have been at MU if Al stayed was a kick to the groin.

I agree that Al does not lose the Miami of Ohio game.  I really wanted to see the matchup against Kentucky the next round.  1 v 2 early in the tournament (pre seeding).  I would not have picked against MU in that game.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2011, 03:16:59 PM »
De Paul did beat MU with our players. It really is amazing that Al could recruit the players he did with all the challenges MU faces--just kidding.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2011, 03:18:35 PM »
Overall, the memories of some marvelous victories are forever etched in my mind. The young'uns on this board can't nearly comprehend, nor can I possibly accurately convene the thrill, emotion, excitement, and tradition of what was Marquette Warrior basketball.

One of my greatest memories was in '74 to beat Michigan and Cazzy Russel in the Elite 8.  Al finally get's to the Final 4.  After all the heartache, early departures (when that was an exception, not the norm), the NIT instead of the NCAA ...  That was quite a run, with Al.  You are correct, those victories are etched in my memory

Goose

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2011, 03:24:10 PM »
MuMac---Wish UCLA had beaten NCState in '74. We had better chance to win, I think, and MU-UCLA for all the marbles would have been something else.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2011, 03:27:31 PM »
I believe the game vs Michigan was with Campy Russell. Eddie Daniels came up big in a reserve role. Again, I was there.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2011, 03:31:42 PM »
I believe the game vs Michigan was with Campy Russell. Eddie Daniels came up big in a reserve role. Again, I was there.

After I posted, it hit me it was Campy.  For some reason, my mind always interchanges those two.

Unfortunately, I was at the Miami Ohio game.   :o

feedback