[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Is MU Nation Melting Down?  (Read 53428 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Is MU Nation Melting Down?
« on: January 27, 2011, 10:09:01 AM »
In the last few weeks ...

* Posters have been kicked off this board
* Other posters have been given a 2 week "time out"
* Cracked Sidewalks is attacking this team
* Grown men are bashing 19 year old kids
* Posters are ripping fans of the team.
* Buzz's popularity is at an all-time low.

In short, it sure looks like MU nation is melting down!

It all started with the Louisville choke.  Yes it was bad but is it worth all this (and more?)

Yes we gave away half-time leads at ND and Uconn.  But in case you did not notice, they are ranked and we are not.  Beating them is hard.

On the other side, we do not have a bad loss and have not been blown out.  I shutter to think what would happen here if we have a stretch like Tennessee, Georgetown earlier this year or Syracuse is going through now.  If we did, this board might have to close.

So why are we melting down around here?  You agree that we are melting down?

To get things rolling, here are my thoughts ....

College fans are more passionate that pro fans because their identity is tied up with the school.  Our identity is not so much tied up with the city we live in.  That said, Green Bay might be the exception when it comes to pro sports.

We chose MU and it is now a reflection of us.  It is a small catholic school with no football program, so we believe the "net worth" of our institution and our choice to attend/support MU is on the court 33 times a year. 

We also want to graduate 100% of the players which, I believe, is more important for us than at a state school.  Thankfully this is not a problem.  If Mbawke was still here and was arrested last week, and Buzz was still debating starting him like Tubby is, we would have a riot.  Up in Minneapolis, they want him to start and they could care less about any arrest.

Finally, we all believed this team would be better than the national expert believe because of the number of top 100 guys on the bench.  I think we all thought MU would be a "surprise team" on the upside this year.

I understand that this season has been a disappointment.  But with no bad losses and leads in the second half, it is not too late and we are very close to breaking through.  This is not the season Diener broke his foot and no one could get the ball up-court.

We need to calm down or all meet in a gravel parking lot and have it out!

Agree or disagree?

Nukem2

• All American
Re: Is MU Nation Melting Down?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 10:11:18 AM »
Agree, though I believe this board simply needed to be more "civilized" for a long time.  Too much name calling and silliness.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 10:12:26 AM »
I guess it really depends upon your definition of "melting down."  If "melting down" means "acting like a typical fan-base" then yes, "MU Nation" is melting down.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 10:13:13 AM »
Disagree.  We are not representative of MU nation.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 10:13:30 AM »
Old fashioned soc's vs the greasers?  How do we pick teams?  Ha ha. I agree, this is a tuff stretch and I have written at least 7 posts that I did not hit send on. We have to be patient, I am still convinced these guys will make the tourney. In Jae I trust.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 10:16:29 AM »
This will lighten the mood!   ;D

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 10:17:32 AM »
Disagree.  We are not representative of MU nation.

I think we are part of MU Nation.  I think that the important thing to remember is that "MU Nation" (a term I despise, by the way), like any other nation (or "Nation") is comprised of many unique individuals who will respond to things in their own ways.  Some are way too invested and lose their minds.  Some brush it off.  It's a continuum.  Those of us who bother to read and post on a message board like this are far, far closer to one end of the continuum than the average fan, but we are part of the "Nation."

And even among those of us that post here, there is continuum from "completely nuts" to "moderately nuts."  I'd like to think that I'm on the "moderate" end of that continuum, but some days I'm not so sure.  Either way, though, I'm still nuts.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 10:19:26 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 10:24:24 AM »
"* Grown men are bashing 19 year old kids"

I am younger than some players, does that give me the right to bash?
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 10:24:50 AM »
"* Grown men are bashing 19 year old kids"

I am younger than some players, does that give me the right to bash?

No it's just less sad.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 10:28:55 AM »
Disagree.  We are not representative of MU nation.

+1

Typically while attending any sporting even you're going to hear a small handful of "bleacher coaches" questioning just about anything and everything that they can. Many of these cases are just someone trying to show how much he knows about basketball...even though he's generally pretty ignorant, not to mention completely irrational (my favorite example of this was some know-it-all yelling: "Call 5 seconds in the lane on them too, ref!" but I digress). These people are loud and have a tendency to overreact, both positively and negatively, to the performance of the team on the floor i.e. if DJO commits a TO, he should sent back to Juco - if he hits a tough 3, he's a lottery pick. While these people tend to be the loudest, that doesn't mean that their sentiments are shared by the fanbase as a whole. IMO, message boards are made up of a lot of this type of fan.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 10:37:30 AM »
It all comes down to realistic expectations.  

MU was picked to finish lower in the BE than ever before....There was a reason for that.  We had many players with little or no D1 experience.  We do not recruit freshman who have great impact in their first year (one and dones, mainly).  I hope that we get there (minus the one and dones).  Ted Thompson took a beating for doing things correctly, and I guess Buzz will too.  Let's face it, outside of the Three Amigos and Lazar, Buzz did not have much to work with.  

I did not expect MU to do as poorly as the experts, but I was thinking bubble NCAA, mid pack BE.  I expect much more next year, but this was always a build up year.

Chill people.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 10:42:45 AM »
Don't know about "melting down by MU nation", but I do know that our favorite team has had some melt downs recently. Louisville, ND, UConn.

The posters on this board are passionate and want the team to win. "Bashing 19 year old kids"? Not sure what you mean by that. If people see a student athlete not playing well and critique it, is that "bashing"? If the Coach does not seem to be getting the job done up to the fan expectations and is criticized for some of his decisions, does that mean his popularity is at an all time low? Remember, that Coach is in one of the premier conferences and is getting paid huge dollars, so being critical of losses by the fan base goes with the territory.

I'm probably too old to meet in a gravel parking lot, and have forgotten most of myUSMC training, but yes we probably should calm down a bit--depends on the definition of "calm down". After all this is a fan message/opinion board and people should be free to vent their frustrations when we lose or are not playing well--as long as it is kept within reason. Fans are passionate and are entitled to their opinion.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 10:45:13 AM »
I've posted this before in another thread but it is a must view for those who are melting down...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n4Vb91aJQg

warriors1965

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 10:47:30 AM »
It all comes down to realistic expectations.  

MU was picked to finish lower in the BE than ever before....There was a reason for that.  We had many players with little or no D1 experience.  We do not recruit freshman who have great impact in their first year (one and dones, mainly).  I hope that we get there (minus the one and dones).  Ted Thompson took a beating for doing things correctly, and I guess Buzz will too.  Let's face it, outside of the Three Amigos and Lazar, Buzz did not have much to work with.  

I did not expect MU to do as poorly as the experts, but I was thinking bubble NCAA, mid pack BE.  I expect much more next year, but this was always a build up year.

Chill people.

What does it mean that Buzz "is doing things correctly?"  

Bringing in JUCO's?

Having a freshman class that's had zero positive impact this season?

Being a nice guy?

I sure hope everyone that keeps saying this is a rebuilding year and next year is the year to pay attention to will hold Buzz accountable if things don't get better.  

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 10:55:25 AM »
"Wish you would step out from that ledge my friend"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 10:55:46 AM »
1965/nmb, detail exactly what your expectations are for the MU program.   How is Buzz not moving toward them?    Do you think we took a step back from Crean?   If so,  who would you like to see coaching the program that would be interested in coming.    That eliminates Miller and Bennett.   I honestly thought that last year's coaching job by Buzz was the best since Al retired.    Making chicken salad out of chicken $h!t like he did  was amazing.    This year, we were very inexperienced at  a D1 level.   Some have made progress.   Some haven't.   Any team can say the same thing.   So, is your solution to get rid of buzz and start over?    What coach is going to want to come if we get rid of a coach 3 years in who has won 20 (and I truly believe we end up with 20 wins after the BEast tourney and postseason) each year, graduated players,  and competed at the highest level of the BEast.   So, I am flat our calling you out to man up and lay out your solution and which coach you would like to see that would be willing to come.   Willie, this goes for you, too.    
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 10:58:36 AM »
I think 10 people melted down so far.

The rest of us realize that before this season we only had 4 guys that had seen much Division 1 playing time before, and that's including Fulce. 

Blue, Cadougan, Crowder, Gardner, Jones, Otule and Williams.  Unknown quantities in November.  If you're blowing your top that our team is *only* .500 in BEast play and is hanging with top 10 teams on a regular basis you need to get your head checked. 

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 11:07:55 AM »
I think 10 people melted down so far.

The rest of us realize that before this season we only had 4 guys that had seen much Division 1 playing time before, and that's including Fulce. 

Blue, Cadougan, Crowder, Gardner, Jones, Otule and Williams.  Unknown quantities in November.  If you're blowing your top that our team is *only* .500 in BEast play and is hanging with top 10 teams on a regular basis you need to get your head checked. 

I agree that there are a select few who are blowing their tops re: the .500 record.  There are others of us who are trying to point out issues about our defense, in general, and our late-game execution, in particular, but we're lumped in with the top-blowers and dismissed as haters who aren't "fans" of the team.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »

Bringing in JUCO's?

Being a nice guy?

I sure hope everyone that keeps saying this is a rebuilding year and next year is the year to pay attention to will hold Buzz accountable if things don't get better.  

Correctly means knowing how to build for the long haul (Ted Thompson reference) and understanding there may be some pain along the way.  It also means ignoring the fan base that scream when you cut Brett Favre, because you understand the strategy your following.  

JUCOs.  There may be more than normal the last couple of years because the need to balance out the classes, but even so, I have no problem wiht Buzz recruiting JUCOs as long as they can handle MU academically, and they are good kids (by all accounts, these guys fit this criteria).

I specifically noted that I am not a fan of one and dones...Name a team that won a NCAA championship with one and dones.  I think it was your man Al (My man also) that said the best thing about freshman is that they become sophmores.  The point is, Buzz is building toward a program that does not depend on freshman.  Harrison Barnes is having an impact at NC, but his play has leveled off.  Sullinger and Irving have very strong players surrounding them.  We all hoped JFB would play the same role that Lazar played last year, but it does not seem to be in his makeup.  (That would be huge)

Don't care if Buzz is a nice guy.  My best coach growing up was a b*st*rd.   I don't think the players think Buzz is nice during boot camp.  He is a great PR guy for the program, and that is great for MU.

I mention in my last paragraph that I expect more next year.  I will be very disappointed if that does not happen.  I have said repeatedly that I expect MU to be playing better basketball in February.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 11:16:11 AM »

Bringing in JUCO's?

Being a nice guy?

Still waiting for my $50.

warriors1991

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 11:33:55 AM »
  Name a team that won a NCAA championship with one and dones. 
[/quote]

We play them Saturday. I was at their final four in New Orleans, severely hung over (ok ok, I was still loaded), watching them beat the team that destroyed us two nights earlier.

(Carmelo and Syracuse fyi)

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 11:53:16 AM »
seems like if you aren't part of the MU nation that is melting down, you're part of the MU nation that is on their high horse about the part of MU nation that is melting down.

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 12:00:51 PM »
The last couple of games have left a horrible taste in my mouth and feeling incredibly frustrated.  That being said I will step to the side of the aisle that is seeing the glass as half full at this point.  If there are not significant strides made by the younger players when we reach this point next season then I will consider jumping ship.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 12:01:36 PM »
Personally, I am melting down due to the bad losses Marquette has had in recent years.  When MU has a lead, I don't believe they will keep it.  And I felt this way before Louisville.  Its great that Marquette plays such close games, but it seems that we will lose if we give the other team a chance, regardless of how good the opposing team might be.  Those of you that watched the DePaul game last year know what I'm talking about.

Though I am melting down, I am not going to a message board and hiding behind a fake name by blasting the players on the team.  I realize that they are giving it everything they have and as a fan, that's all I can really ask.  While I blame Buzz moreso than the players, I still am a big supporter of his.  At times, it seems as though the basketball gods are to blame as we seem to get every bad break.  IMO, its either the price we are paying for all the fortune we had in 2003 or its pain we are feeling now for the joy we will face when the ball starts bouncing our way in the near future.  I sure hope its the latter and it starts soon.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 12:25:50 PM »
seems like if you aren't part of the MU nation that is melting down, you're part of the MU nation that is on their high horse about the part of MU nation that is melting down.

"If you can keep your wits while all around are losing theirs, and blaming you.   The world will be yours and everything in it.  What's more, you'll be a man, my son. "     Rudyard Kipling   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.