Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How about STARTING Cadougan?  (Read 5282 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: How about STARTING Cadougan?
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 08:44:40 PM »
Because DJO is our leading scorer and he wanted to get him back on the floor, and DJO was having a pretty stellar game to that point despite some foul trouble. My guess is Buzz was thinking first about getting our two best players back on the floor at the same time.

I don't see the two as mutually exclusive. He's played Cadougan and DJO together. You wouldn't have to pull Cadougan to get DJO back in the game. In fact, that may be the best triumvirate of offense we have -- Cadougan being able to set DJO up appropriately for the shot; Cadougan best to lay down to Butler; Butler best to get ball on block, wait for double, then kick to DJO; etc.

Also, at that point, DJO had been absent from the game well before he hit the bench. The announcers even mentioned how a guy who started out so strong seemed to disappear. I always feel like DJO should be the first option but in that situation I didn't understand why Cadougan was the one Buzz dropped.

marquette99

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 02:02:10 AM »
Got to have buycks on the court. He is our zone buster with unlimited range, and the best defender along with vander. My biggest concern is how easily great players are blowing by junior, djo and butler to get to a spot for easy looks.

Junior has played very well all around, but I just can't believe none of those 3 seem to be able to slow anyone to the basket one on one.

I do also believe otule's ability to alter and block shots makes our defense much better.

Not sure who my 5 are - like them all for different reasons, but I believe crowder and buycks are the 2 that have to be out there.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 06:23:55 AM »
What happened to the Gardner that scored 9 in 15 minutes and grabbed 4 rebounds while playing hurt against Duke?  Or the Gardner that scored 9 in 18 minutes and grabbed 3 rebounds against UW?  Ever since the pseudo-benching where he played 3 minutes against Centenary he's barely been a blip on the radar with 3 points and 4 rebounds in 33 minutes of Big East play.  Were UW and Duke just unprepared, but every single Big East team got the memo so they were ready for him to the point where he became unplayable and ineffective on both ends when he did get in the game?  Or is it some kind of slump, us playing a different style of ball, him not being utilized in a way which he can be most productive, perhaps fighting through injuries?  Given that he was at worst a breath of fresh air against UW and that he played spectacular when his shoulder injury should've kept him out against Duke I don't buy that "the Big East" is the sole reason for his lack of productivity, but I can't answer as to why he barely plays and does not look very good when he does get in.
The answer is right in front of you: Coach Decision.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 10:17:33 AM »
I dont know about starting Junior.  But I do think you dont want too many stretches with Junior and Vander together.  It can work at times if they are causing turnovers, but against the stop teams that equates to probably 2 or 3 minute stretches.  You simply have 2 guys that really cant score.  So if you add Otule to that you have 3.  I like both of them playing but just not together that much.  DJO and or Buycks needs to be coupled with one or the other.  Probably DJO with Junior and Buycks with Blue.  So you have a PG on the floor and and scorer on the floor at all times.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011, 08:42:58 AM »
how about using Vander at the point .... he can't shoot and is best when he's driving to the basket. Maybe not this season but PG (really Alpha Guard) might actually be Vander's best position.

feedback